BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-28 9:14 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Indoor and outdoor pools are able to open in NC. The pool I swim at is closed as is the university. I think the school just dropped the collegiate swim team so maybe it won't open till fall because the pool staff is pissed.

I am of the mind that races aren't responsible for making sure you can swim. They do need to provide mechanisms to avoid hazards and rescue those in distress. I do doubt they will have adequate people for the later

I agree that they aren't responsible for making sure you can swim. However, they are responsible for making sure the course is safe. Are they truly making sure the entire course is safe knowing that the majority of people have done little to no swim training? What about the other participants. A panicked person grabbing another swimmer is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention lawsuits that would come from this.

2020-05-29 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by nrpoulin Indoor and outdoor pools are able to open in NC. The pool I swim at is closed as is the university. I think the school just dropped the collegiate swim team so maybe it won't open till fall because the pool staff is pissed. I am of the mind that races aren't responsible for making sure you can swim. They do need to provide mechanisms to avoid hazards and rescue those in distress. I do doubt they will have adequate people for the later

Yeah, the Triangle Aquatics Center (TAC) in Cary is opened for club members only, limited to 25 total (this does not make sense because it's inside and the indoor legal limit is 10? but I heard 25) with social distancing. The club "members" include the swim teams and masters swim. 

The Ys in my area are opening their outdoor pools this weekend (indoor pools remain closed).  Mask use with outside of the water.

Durham city pools are not opening at all this year.

I have not heard anything about Raleigh city pools.

Yeah, that was sad news about ECU cutting athletics. Appalachian as well.

2020-05-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by fortissimo A pool near opened for lap swim only. It's $12 for one hour. Only 3 people are allowed in at a time and it's reservation only. You can only swim 2x per week. As I was trying to remember how to swim,..... 

Our gym is opened with limited hours.  I used to try to swim over my lunch break on Tuesdays and Thursday since the was the best way to train without having it cut into time with my family.  I would have like to geo every day but there are aqua fitness and water aerobics in the pool about three times a day including the 5:30AM time in the morning, Mon/Wed/Friday at noon, and 5:30 PM every day.  The current limited hours are 6-9AM and 5-8PM and there are no classed untill further notice. 

We have been short-staffed at work for over a year.  When we were fully staffed leaving for a swim at lunch was not a problem, but when we lost two of the five people in our departments I started working through most lunches as well as staying late most evenings.  Well...thanks to the economy going through he floor with the Covid-19 shutdowns and being an oilfield supply company that took a double whammy with oil prices hit historic lows we had 30% of our company laid off two weeks ago.  They shut down the second shift so our facility is now locked up at 5:00 PM every night so I can't stay late.  So... Corvid-19 took care of the pool not being available at prime times do to aqua classes and oil prices took care of me staying late at the office every night, so I have been swimming at 5:00 PM every night for a week.  Previous to the past week I only had got one swim in since my last triathlon last September.  I have just been doing 15-20 minute power swims every night so I can still make it home by 6PM.  I will build though.  I could do about 30-35 minute swims over my hour lunch break I will get up to that again soon and try to find a way to get up to hour-long swims after that.  Everything on my race calendar right now is a duathlon, but after 8 months off from swimming, I am going to really try to make a habit stick over the next 5 weeks.

2020-05-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Boston marathon just canceled. I bet New York is next. With Chatanooga spiking so many cases I can't believe either the HIM or IM will be able to go forward.

ETA: IM just posted a video in FB discussing in broad terms all the changes they've made to make races safe. Ended with they are ready to go as soon as the host cities say they can put on races. 

That video was weird. From FB discussions in my social bubble, most people seemed to zero in on the emphasis on hydration vests and are all going out to buy them now LOL. 

2020-05-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That would be nothing new for me. In Vietnam I always had to be self-supported for long rides/runs since one can't drink the tap water, and usually for races as well as they serve some weird stuff at races in Asia. But the cleanliness of my fluids would be the least of my concerns in an IM event in the current context. Just the whole thing--travel to the event, restaurants, hotels, packet pick-up, swim start, transition, people passing on the bike and the run with all their exhaling, coughing, snot rockets.... NO WAY!

People aren't REALLY going to keep masks on when officials aren't looking, even less than they refrain from drafting when officials aren't looking. There's no way to enforce this more than sporadically with numbers over about 50. I'm not sure anyone else has done much training in a mask (I have--some on more crowded loops here and a lot in China when they were required), but there is just NO WAY you can do a competitive effort in an athletic event wearing a mask that's even marginally protective. They're fine for shopping or (if you're a medical worker) caring for patients, uncomfortable but marginally bearable for 20-30 minutes easy jog or a casual commute to work, but not hours and hours of biking/running at intensity.
2020-05-31 7:01 PM
in reply to: #5270506

User image

Our community pool opened this weekend. They are limiting guests to half their capacity but it is never even 50%. I got a ten minute swimset during life guard break when all the kids had to leave the pool. Felt good!

2020-05-31 11:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh. What is this thing called a "pool"? We've been told "maybe" on July 6 for outdoor pools. But right now there is only one in town. Not sure how that would work with limited numbers.

Worried my swim is going to go down the toilet permanently. I've now missed 15 months of proper swim training between the elbow injury early last year (I could "swim" from about two months on but discomfort really held me back with speed, distance, and variety), surgery again at the end of last year and then layoff after that, and then, only about six weeks after that, Covid. I could finally swim without discomfort and was just starting to build up strength/endurance when the pools closed. Elbow still feels tight. I know my body....It may never be exactly 100% again (there's a bunch of scar tissue where the tricep tendon inserts behind my elbow--not due to the actual injury but having a screw and metal plate irritating things for ten months) but I know I would be much more fully healed by now if I could swim regularly. Plus I really miss swimming as general recovery--my legs get so much more hammered by running without it.
2020-06-01 6:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner That would be nothing new for me. In Vietnam I always had to be self-supported for long rides/runs since one can't drink the tap water, and usually for races as well as they serve some weird stuff at races in Asia. But the cleanliness of my fluids would be the least of my concerns in an IM event in the current context. Just the whole thing--travel to the event, restaurants, hotels, packet pick-up, swim start, transition, people passing on the bike and the run with all their exhaling, coughing, snot rockets.... NO WAY! People aren't REALLY going to keep masks on when officials aren't looking, even less than they refrain from drafting when officials aren't looking. There's no way to enforce this more than sporadically with numbers over about 50. I'm not sure anyone else has done much training in a mask (I have--some on more crowded loops here and a lot in China when they were required), but there is just NO WAY you can do a competitive effort in an athletic event wearing a mask that's even marginally protective. They're fine for shopping or (if you're a medical worker) caring for patients, uncomfortable but marginally bearable for 20-30 minutes easy jog or a casual commute to work, but not hours and hours of biking/running at intensity.

Agreed, it's not even the triathlon itself. It's the travel, hotel, etc. In fact, a small, local tri could work for me this year. A small local run could work as well.

2020-06-01 6:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Monday! I will not be able to meet today but feel free to Zoom without me.

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

2020-06-01 6:34 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Boston marathon just canceled. I bet New York is next. With Chatanooga spiking so many cases I can't believe either the HIM or IM will be able to go forward.

ETA: IM just posted a video in FB discussing in broad terms all the changes they've made to make races safe. Ended with they are ready to go as soon as the host cities say they can put on races. 

That video was weird. From FB discussions in my social bubble, most people seemed to zero in on the emphasis on hydration vests and are all going out to buy them now LOL. 

No more using races as catered training events!

2020-06-01 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My ( City) pool opened this morning. Weird thing is they made the announcement that 6 of the 9 pools would open with changes, but didn’t say which pools are what changes ! Information was to call or email before going. So, I drove past my pool on my way to SBUX and when I saw people swimming, stopped and got the information. I have no idea how those swimming knew the it was opened! Rules are 1 per lane, 40 minute max swim if someone is waiting, first come first served, in through office for check-in, out from pool gate.  Same swim times for lap swimming, except they expanded the late morning time. So, I may get my controlled drowning on this morning!

2020-06-01 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Monday! I will not be able to meet today but feel free to Zoom without me.

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

if I’m not swimming I’ll check in!

2020-06-01 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I have another meeting but I hope you are all well! 

I just signed up for a membership to swim outdoors outside of the city - yes, Toronto is on a large lake that is indeed swimmable but there are some challenges with that. But a tri club about 45-mins outside of the city has an old quarry that has been re-purposed for tri swimming. I've used it periodically in the past. It's a great set up with 400 and 800m loops marked. And they have seriously updated it since I last went. Including a family membership and an area for kids to play. Which is awesome. I have been worried about my kids keeping up swimming (so far no pools are open here and beaches are still too cold) - i know it's a small thing but i have spent much time getting them going and to me it's a pretty important life skill - so i am happy we can have this. 

The water is still gonna be really cold but will plan to get there in the near future. But i gotta dig out my wetsuit first. Yikes! 

https://vimeo.com/424604769/bdf189a9a9

2020-06-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was able to book the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown for next May's Chattanooga 70.3.

2020-06-02 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I was able to book the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown for next May's Chattanooga 70.3.

Thanks! I just did too.
2020-06-02 12:25 PM

I called the local pool today to see if they were open. I got the "yes...but..." But, in the grand scheme of things, I am very excited about it. They are open Tues-Fri from 9-3. You have to call the day before and reserve a time slot. You get to come and swim laps for 45 mins. You then have to leave, no locker room, no changing, etc. - you have to basically leave in your wet clothes. Which means change in the car, haha. But they only open 3 lanes at a time. It is a public pool with waterslide, diving board, etc. It used to be on weekends that it was very busy, swimming laps included avoiding the beach balls that would get hit into your lane, kids crossing the lane in front of you sometimes, etc. I'd say this could be the best way to swim yet!!!

2020-06-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: #5270535

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I just did my first pool swim since late Feb. It was amazing (and probably the cleanest the Y pool has ever been since it's had 10 weeks of no swim action).

We have to reserve online 23 hours in advance. The process was pretty simple.

It was so nice to swim.
2020-06-02 2:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks! I just did too.

Thanks for the reminders, I just booked there, too.

2020-06-02 3:07 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by melbo55

Thanks! I just did too.

I did as well. Holy heck. That is a bunch of money!
2020-06-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Thanks! I just did too.

yep! you pay threw the nose to be close to transition. if you don't mind driving, there are much more reasonable hotels a bit farther out.

2020-06-03 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Thanks! I just did too.

yep! you pay threw the nose to be close to transition. if you don't mind driving, there are much more reasonable hotels a bit farther out.

it is so much easier on Jim if we are close. Gotta keep my super-support staff happy. Big ole shot across the bow to REALLY start getting myself together. I can bike, and now swim without much pain. My excuse for being lazy was just canceled out by the now major investment.

2020-06-03 7:47 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks! I just did too.

it is so much easier on Jim if we are close. Gotta keep my super-support staff happy. Big ole shot across the bow to REALLY start getting myself together. I can bike, and now swim without much pain. My excuse for being lazy was just canceled out by the now major investment.

Yes, the hotel is even more $$$ than it would have been this year but it's walking distance to all the things.  We could literally not move the car at all of the weekend and I view that as a bonus. 

Kevin will move the car to haul is mtb to the trails by the VW plant but there are also mtb trails that are riding distance from the hotel -- he usually rides on those trails on race day so that he does not add to race day traffic.

2020-06-03 2:20 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by glfprncs

I just did my first pool swim since late Feb. It was amazing (and probably the cleanest the Y pool has ever been since it's had 10 weeks of no swim action).

We have to reserve online 23 hours in advance. The process was pretty simple.

It was so nice to swim.

Yay! So happy for you and the experience
I am looking forward to pool openings.
2020-06-03 2:26 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Indoor and outdoor pools are able to open in NC. The pool I swim at is closed as is the university. I think the school just dropped the collegiate swim team so maybe it won't open till fall because the pool staff is pissed.

I am of the mind that races aren't responsible for making sure you can swim. They do need to provide mechanisms to avoid hazards and rescue those in distress. I do doubt they will have adequate people for the later

I agree that they aren't responsible for making sure you can swim. However, they are responsible for making sure the course is safe. Are they truly making sure the entire course is safe knowing that the majority of people have done little to no swim training? What about the other participants. A panicked person grabbing another swimmer is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention lawsuits that would come from this.

That is scary!
2020-06-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127