2021-04-26 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by amd723

[

Honestly, I'm not sure that Ann-Marie and Lisa and Kathy have totally forgiven me for making them do the Lake Logan bike route   (the oly is flat, the HIM is very much not flat).

haha, the HIM bike course is no joke! But I enjoyed it -perhaps because I didn't have to run 13.1 afterward The temp of the swim is what killed me. If I ever was to attempt it again I'd have to find someplace to swim with freezing water, which is hard to do for an August race when all water temps around me are close to 90*!

Poor Kathy, she didn't know it at the time, but she had a torn hip labrum and blood clots, so she had a difficult time with those hills. I knew something was up when I passed her on the bike - she is a much stronger cyclist than I am.

Well, you said you wanted it to be wet suit legal!

Honestly, it was unusually cold water that year, it's usually closer to 70.  I think it was low/mid 60s that year.

ETA, my notes say 63, much colder under the bridge

Edited by jmkizer 2021-04-26 10:22 AM

2021-04-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK, back to Robin's requirements --

• one lap, wet suit legal swim
  • flat to rolling bike
  • run???
  • location in the southeast
  • reputable, independent race organizer (such as Setup, Gloryhound, Rev3, Kinetic, Endurance Sports Management)
2021-04-26 1:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer 

Honestly, I'm not sure that Ann-Marie and Lisa and Kathy have totally forgiven me for making them do the Lake Logan bike route   (the oly is flat, the HIM is very much not flat).

Hehee I'm glad I did that race and stayed upright the whole time! But yeah I won't be doing it again

2021-04-26 2:00 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

• flat to rolling bike
  • run???
  • reputable, independent race organizer (such as Setup, Gloryhound, Rev3, Kinetic, Endurance Sports Management)

This is one I hadn't heard of before from Endurance Sports - Fall Creek Falls - probably not wet suit legal looking at the sole swim photo on this website. But something I'll keep in my back pocket for next year!
https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Spencer/TriFallCreekFallsTriathlon 

2021-04-26 2:39 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

• flat to rolling bike
  • run???

This is one I hadn't heard of before from Endurance Sports - Fall Creek Falls - probably not wet suit legal looking at the sole swim photo on this website. But something I'll keep in my back pocket for next year!
https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Spencer/TriFallCreekFallsTriathlon 

I thought that ESM did a nice job with AtomicMan and I think that Nancy had good things to say about Goose Pond.  I just did not thought that Kinetic, etc. would be way higher on Robin's list for various reasons.

2021-04-26 8:00 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

Well, manatees, I did it!  I passed my American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification!  I'm left knackered and a bit sore and beat up but certified. 

While I'm not currently in horrible shape, I'm certainly not in my usual tri (or hockey) shape.  This might be a warning to get back on the task.

Congratulations!

2021-04-28 4:26 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

Well, manatees, I did it!  I passed my American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification!  I'm left knackered and a bit sore and beat up but certified. 

While I'm not currently in horrible shape, I'm certainly not in my usual tri (or hockey) shape.  This might be a warning to get back on the task.

Another congratulations!
2021-04-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Expert
I had to make a command decision. Not really, a global pandemic and near halt in the global supply chain made the decision for me. It is highly unlikely the new bike will be done before June. They are only waiting for the crankset, bracket, chain and cassette, with no definite delivery date and telling new orders 2022. I decided (was forced because I don't want to walk 112 miles) to have the old Cervelo P2 fixed. The chain guard on my from derailleur snapped off and I have to replace it and a few small repairs. Fortunately, there in little demand for DuraAce 105 components.
2021-04-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I had to make a command decision. Not really, a global pandemic and near halt in the global supply chain made the decision for me. It is highly unlikely the new bike will be done before June. They are only waiting for the crankset, bracket, chain and cassette, with no definite delivery date and telling new orders 2022. I decided (was forced because I don't want to walk 112 miles) to have the old Cervelo P2 fixed. The chain guard on my from derailleur snapped off and I have to replace it and a few small repairs. Fortunately, there in little demand for DuraAce 105 components.

A working bike is certainly better than no bike at all!

2021-04-30 12:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella I had to make a command decision. Not really, a global pandemic and near halt in the global supply chain made the decision for me. It is highly unlikely the new bike will be done before June. They are only waiting for the crankset, bracket, chain and cassette, with no definite delivery date and telling new orders 2022. I decided (was forced because I don't want to walk 112 miles) to have the old Cervelo P2 fixed. The chain guard on my from derailleur snapped off and I have to replace it and a few small repairs. Fortunately, there in little demand for DuraAce 105 components.

Bummer about the new bike parts being majorly delayed but thankfully the old bike is fixable.  A swan song for the Cervelo!

2021-05-01 8:37 AM

User image

Expert

Bummer about the new bike parts being majorly delayed but thankfully the old bike is fixable.  A swan song for the Cervelo!

I thought I was done with the P2, but it wasn't done with me. El Diablito Rojo rides again!

2021-05-01 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

I thought I was done with the P2, but it wasn't done with me. El Diablito Rojo rides again!

My P2 says you can never retire a P2!

2021-05-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Andreas says P2's rock! He has now not been ridden outside since Ironman Malaysia in November 2018 (and that was only the third time I ever rode him outdoors--once around a parking lot a few times and then once in an Oly in Oregon before the IM. Yes, really.) He and I are beginning to wonder if his entire life will be spent indoors.
2021-05-01 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
RE: Goose Pond

Swim will likely NOT be wetsuit legal. The lake is very shallow and it warms up quickly.

LOVED the bike. Rolling & pretty.

The run was HOT with rolling hills.

Granted, in 2019 when I raced it, it went from low 80s to 99 degrees the week of the race.

It's a small race, but well run. I highly advise driving the run & learning where the cut through from the campground to the backside out & back is.
2021-05-01 8:53 PM

User image

Expert

P2's are a workhorse. Mine is slated to go to D2, once the new one arrives. She has race a few triathlons and is interested in doing it again once she is done with school. She has a really nice rail trail by her apartment that goes into Chicago that she plans to ride on.
2021-05-03 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

P2's are a workhorse. Mine is slated to go to D2, once the new one arrives. She has race a few triathlons and is interested in doing it again once she is done with school. She has a really nice rail trail by her apartment that goes into Chicago that she plans to ride on.

It is good to now El Diablito Rojo has a life scheduled after you.

2021-05-03 9:59 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Thanks for all the race ideas and information. I have them all noted and looking at them all.

Opening it up again. I am not married to just east coast races. I could do a destination race for my one-and-done.

2021-05-03 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

Thanks for all the race ideas and information. I have them all noted and looking at them all.

Opening it up again. I am not married to just east coast races. I could do a destination race for my one-and-done.

Well, in that case I shall suggest Barrelman - in the Niagara area. Smooth swim in a canal, pretty flat bike, finish the run by Niagara falls. I am not sure how it is going to look this year ... but it is not ironman branded and very popular here. 

https://niagarafallstriathlon.com/

2021-05-03 12:56 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by juniperjen

Well, in that case I shall suggest Barrelman - in the Niagara area. Smooth swim in a canal, pretty flat bike, finish the run by Niagara falls. I am not sure how it is going to look this year ... but it is not ironman branded and very popular here. 

Thanks!
2021-05-03 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

That looks like a nice race!

2021-05-03 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That looks like a nice race!

I think that Randee may have done this one as well.

2021-05-03 6:30 PM

User image

Expert

I was really close to doing Barrelman one year. It looks like a fun race.
2021-05-05 9:06 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

I was really close to doing Barrelman one year. It looks like a fun race.

Looks like a good race and I have some relatives not far from there. Thanks for the link!
2021-05-07 11:49 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Happy FriYAY. Anyone racing or just playing?
2021-05-07 2:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh Happy FriYAY. Anyone racing or just playing?

Yard and garden work this weekend, weather permitting.  Racing next weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74