User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Hey kids! IMCHOO is this coming weekend - the buzz is air temps in the high 70s, dew point in the 50s and a wetsuit legal float down the river. How come when Janyne, Ann Marie and I do it - it's 100 degrees, humid and bacteria-cancelled swim?! Anyone doing it this year?
IM website shows it is the 26th. Maybe they moved it a week to give it more time to get really hot?

So wait, Randee lied to us?!

No I just can't read a calendar

Possible TVA-related drama...

TVA observes water levels of Tennessee River ahead of IRONMAN triathlon

I saw that and had flashbacks to our 2018 the river has run wild and the ecoli is high swim is canceled event! I also see from the story that the bike has been shortened to 11 miles. That will make the run much easier

2021-09-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Hey kids! IMCHOO is this coming weekend - the buzz is air temps in the high 70s, dew point in the 50s and a wetsuit legal float down the river. How come when Janyne, Ann Marie and I do it - it's 100 degrees, humid and bacteria-cancelled swim?! Anyone doing it this year?
IM website shows it is the 26th. Maybe they moved it a week to give it more time to get really hot?

I saw that and had flashbacks to our 2018 the river has run wild and the ecoli is high swim is canceled event! I also see from the story that the bike has been shortened to 11 miles. That will make the run much easier

So much fun!  11 mile bike and then a wee but hilly run.  The only issue is will there still be drunks out on the run course to cheer you on? 

2021-09-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

So much fun!  11 mile bike and then a wee but hilly run.  The only issue is will there still be drunks out on the run course to cheer you on? 

My sense is there are always drunks on Barton hill.

2021-09-22 10:48 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

HAHAH!! That's the best thing I've read all day!!

And regarding the swim - DH is keeping me updated. I've got my money on cancelled. CRAZY though. And I think the weather still looks good because the race is definitely THIS coming weekend :D
2021-09-22 10:57 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

HAHAH!! That's the best thing I've read all day!! And regarding the swim - DH is keeping me updated. I've got my money on cancelled. CRAZY though. And I think the weather still looks good because the race is definitely THIS coming weekend :D

Is your husband racing?

The weather definitely looks good for them. Is it wrong for me to wish that the forecast is wrong? 

2021-09-22 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

HAHAH!! That's the best thing I've read all day!! And regarding the swim - DH is keeping me updated. I've got my money on cancelled. CRAZY though. And I think the weather still looks good because the race is definitely THIS coming weekend :D

Is your husband racing?

The weather definitely looks good for them. Is it wrong for me to wish that the forecast is wrong? 

We suffered so they must suffer!!!

2021-09-22 11:01 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Is your husband racing?

No he's not - but he shares our sentiment - we suffered so they should suffer!
2021-09-22 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
On a personal note this is how my week is going. I spent all day Friday day on scene. The worst thing I have ever seen and hope I never see anything like this again.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-charged-daughter-found-dea...
2021-09-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella On a personal note this is how my week is going. I spent all day Friday day on scene. The worst thing I have ever seen and hope I never see anything like this again. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-charged-daughter-found-dea...

Oh, Jim. I am so sorry.

2021-09-23 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella On a personal note this is how my week is going. I spent all day Friday day on scene. The worst thing I have ever seen and hope I never see anything like this again. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-charged-daughter-found-dea...

UGH. So horrible.

2021-09-23 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sorry to see this, Jim.

2021-09-23 12:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

So sad for the little girl, so horrendous that the mother could do that to her.

2021-09-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

So sad for the little girl, so horrendous that the mother could do that to her.

I am really sorry you have to deal with this. There is no way that i could deal with that. My heart breaks - and it makes me want to run and pick up my kids from school to just to hold them tight. 

2021-09-23 2:21 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

On a personal note this is how my week is going. I spent all day Friday day on scene. The worst thing I have ever seen and hope I never see anything like this again.

no words.

2021-09-24 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarellaOn a personal note this is how my week is going. I spent all day Friday day on scene. The worst thing I have ever seen and hope I never see anything like this again.https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-charged-daughter-found-dead-garbage-bag-80147865
OMG! I read about this. I am so so so sorry you had (still have) to deal with this.
2021-09-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone is doing well. We have no racers this week that I know of.

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-09-24 10:44 AM

Originally posted by JBacarella

My thoughts are with you on this Jim. I worked a lot of homicides over the years and was fortunate to never have to go out on one involving a child. Hang in there.
2021-09-24 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Is your husband racing?

Talk on the Choo FB site that a pro said at his/her meeting the RD said swim may be canceled b/c of high Ecoli in the river. Flashbacks to 2018! If so, at least they will get nice weather for the rest of the race.  

2021-09-24 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Is your husband racing?

Talk on the Choo FB site that a pro said at his/her meeting the RD said swim may be canceled b/c of high Ecoli in the river. Flashbacks to 2018! If so, at least they will get nice weather for the rest of the race.  

So not epic. I feel badly for them. I mean, does this even count?

2021-09-24 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Is your husband racing?

So not epic. I feel badly for them. I mean, does this even count?

Hahaha! How many will be searching for a pool to swim before the race?

of course, I sometimes think our race was “just” a long duathlon and I need a do over!

2021-09-26 1:14 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just got home from Augusta 70.3. I had a lovely 13 mile bike ride behind the 3rd place pro male as their "escort" (it's really to let the crowd know who the leaders are on the 2 lap course).

My 1st 3rd place pro, Jason West, came out of T21 on fire & made up a 1:40 gap in 6 miles (he was running a 5:10-ih pace). His run was so impressive to watch.

Once he moved into 2nd, my new guy was Tim Reed. He was in the hurt locker pretty bad & almost made 2 wrong turns.

Saw Tim O'Donnell pushing both kids in a stroller while Rinny was on the run.

There was a medical event during the swim. I was by transition when the med team flew by in a gator. They were doing chest compressions on the man & continued after getting him in the ambulance. The ambulance didn't leave for a good 10 minutes, so I don't know if that was a good thing (maybe got a heart rhythm back?) Or a bad thing.

Weather was perfect. Low humidity & high of 81.

2021-09-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

I just signed up for the Oregon 70.3 in July. I'll be doing the swim and the bike and our friend Tim is doing the run.

Karen, I may be coming up with questions for you! As in, I know they said there is no morning clothes drop at the swim start, but do you remember if they have a special needs drop for glasses?
2021-09-26 5:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Welcome to Oregon! I'll probably do the race again unless things are really back to normal for travel (which I somehow doubt) and Mom wants to do a Canada or overseas trip at that time. It's a beautiful course, normally the weather is great that time of year (it was a bit hotter than usual this year), and hopefully they will iron out the swim start issues.

There actually DID end up being a morning clothes drop at the start (positioned maybe 300-400 yards away) although it had said in the online info there wouldn't be. Apparently they got pushback on that, set one up, and announced the change at the pre-race briefing the day before. Welcome news as otherwise they would have had thousands of discarded flip-flops.....It really was at least 1.2 miles (if not further) walk to the start, and I'm guessing a lot of people balked at doing it in throw-away shoes before a HIM. I'd just planned to sacrifice a very old pair of running shoes. So my guess is even if they don't have a special needs drop, you could put the glasses in a hard case and put them at the clothes drop, assuming you had another pair for the bike/run legs. I didn't see any vehicles at the start--it's off a bike path--so not sure how they would get special needs to T1 before the swimmers finish??

Edited by Hot Runner 2021-09-26 5:56 PM
2021-09-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo I just signed up for the Oregon 70.3 in July. I'll be doing the swim and the bike and our friend Tim is doing the run. Karen, I may be coming up with questions for you! As in, I know they said there is no morning clothes drop at the swim start, but do you remember if they have a special needs drop for glasses?

Oh! Sounds fun!

2021-09-27 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo I just signed up for the Oregon 70.3 in July. I'll be doing the swim and the bike and our friend Tim is doing the run. Karen, I may be coming up with questions for you! As in, I know they said there is no morning clothes drop at the swim start, but do you remember if they have a special needs drop for glasses?

Oh! Sounds fun!

x2

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74