2021-10-09 2:33 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

October 9-10
Janyne - White Squirrel Classic 100k (road)
Melanie - hockey game

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

I ran my first 10 mile race last month.  I figured that on my best day I could probably finish in the high 1:01's so I made a ridiculous goal of going sub 1-hour.  Well ...I finished in just under 1:07 which was a little disappointing for me.

The Cypress Texas 10-mile run is tomorrow.  I can't run it since it is on Sunday but thought it would be nice to not have to live with 1:07 10-mile PR any longer so I ran the Cypress 10-miler race course solo this morning. Gun time tomorrow is 7:00AM and I got started at 6:59AM this morning so my conditions are about the closest to the race day conditions as I could get.  I ran a 1:03:46.  I am much happier with that time.  Not a race, but it was a solid time trial and you know I am going to be looking at the race results of the actual race tomorrow to see where my time would have put me.

2021-10-09 4:13 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by abake Proof of Life post --- it's been cooler and rainy here in Illinois and is really starting to feel like fall, which has me thinking about events for next year. Are the Manatees planning for 2022 races?

I'm registered for Chatty 70.3 (5/22) and IM Wisconsin (6/19

I don't know of a lot of Manatee events for 2022 but we do have some big ones already on the calendar!

Feb 6
Lisa - Tallahassee Half Marathon

March 6
Jen Snyder - Chilly Half Marathon

May 22
Lisa - IM Chattanooga 70.3
Ann-Marie - IM Chattanooga 70.3

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25
Ann-Marie  - IM Chattanooga

put me down for Oregon 70.3! (and possibly IMMT OMG)

Done!

Put me down for IM Michigan 70.3 on 9/11 andIM Texas or IM Wisconsin (Things are still up in the air for the Spring, it will probably be Texas).
All these racers make me happy, jealous and a little sad at the same time. I have no idea when i will be able to do any races. I do have the NYC tri that was deferred from 2020 on my schedule. All sorts of fingers crossed I can do it.

Fingers crossed that you will be in NYC next July!

2021-10-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by abake Proof of Life post --- it's been cooler and rainy here in Illinois and is really starting to feel like fall, which has me thinking about events for next year. Are the Manatees planning for 2022 races?

I'm registered for Chatty 70.3 (5/22) and IM Wisconsin (6/19

I don't know of a lot of Manatee events for 2022 but we do have some big ones already on the calendar!

Feb 6
Lisa - Tallahassee Half Marathon

March 6
Jen Snyder - Chilly Half Marathon

May 22
Lisa - IM Chattanooga 70.3
Ann-Marie - IM Chattanooga 70.3

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25
Ann-Marie  - IM Chattanooga

Add me to the May Chatty crew.  While you are at it, pray for a cold front to be going through that day! 

2021-10-11 12:01 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

October 9-10
Melanie - hockey game

Dooo eeettt!!!

I ran my first 10 mile race last month.  I figured that on my best day I could probably finish in the high 1:01's so I made a ridiculous goal of going sub 1-hour.  Well ...I finished in just under 1:07 which was a little disappointing for me.

The Cypress Texas 10-mile run is tomorrow.  I can't run it since it is on Sunday but thought it would be nice to not have to live with 1:07 10-mile PR any longer so I ran the Cypress 10-miler race course solo this morning. Gun time tomorrow is 7:00AM and I got started at 6:59AM this morning so my conditions are about the closest to the race day conditions as I could get.  I ran a 1:03:46.  I am much happier with that time.  Not a race, but it was a solid time trial and you know I am going to be looking at the race results of the actual race tomorrow to see where my time would have put me.

Wow, great time for the 10 miler! 

2021-10-11 12:04 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Well, the debut of my art for sale and my hockey game the next day were both successes.  I sold about 40 photos, 2 small charcoal prints, and some cards, maybe 15?  Hockey:  I remembered how to put my gear on and didn't fall when I stepped onto the ice, so things started well.  Then my awesome teammates scored within the first maybe 3 minutes (probably less, honestly) and we went on to win 5-2.  We have a great team this year of women who have a long history of hockey from a young age, it's great to see the youth injection into my aging team.  In fact, a big chunk of my similarly aged (and older than me) friends aren't playing this year which makes me sad.

2021-10-12 5:04 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by melbo55

Well, the debut of my art for sale and my hockey game the next day were both successes.  I sold about 40 photos, 2 small charcoal prints, and some cards, maybe 15?  Hockey:  I remembered how to put my gear on and didn't fall when I stepped onto the ice, so things started well.  Then my awesome teammates scored within the first maybe 3 minutes (probably less, honestly) and we went on to win 5-2.  We have a great team this year of women who have a long history of hockey from a young age, it's great to see the youth injection into my aging team.  In fact, a big chunk of my similarly aged (and older than me) friends aren't playing this year which makes me sad.

Congratulations on both successes!!!

2021-10-12 1:37 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

That's awesome! Huge congrats! I love your drawings, especially the feathers.
Sounds super cool on the hockey team. Do you thinks some players do not participate this year due Covid and healthy risks, or they will not come back in the fure/ending their careers?
2021-10-12 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations! I'm happy you are getting your artwork out there to the public and am not surprised it sold well! Great game too.

2021-10-12 2:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83

That's awesome! Huge congrats! I love your drawings, especially the feathers. Sounds super cool on the hockey team. Do you thinks some players do not participate this year due Covid and healthy risks, or they will not come back in the fure/ending their careers?
I think the majority are just busy with life and/or feeling too 'old' to play: grandparenting, travel, etc.  I think only one of them is COVID concerns and even her decision isn't solely based on that.

2021-10-13 8:23 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Congrats o.n the art sales.  One of the biggest challenges that artist have is selling their work.  I am glad that went well. 

Hockey sounds fun.  I want to play Hockey when I was young but there was like a two year wait list to get on a team so I decided to take up figure skating instead.  Looking back I think that it starting at age 8 instead of age 6 probably would have worked out just fine. That is a sport that I wouldn't have been able to keep up with in the places I have lived though. 

2021-10-13 5:23 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations! talk about a full weekend. You do really good work, so I'm not surprised you were able to sell so much.

2021-10-13 5:24 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
It is official now, IM Texas is a go for April 23, 2022. I paid money, so there is no turning back.
2021-10-13 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella It is official now, IM Texas is a go for April 23, 2022. I paid money, so there is no turning back.

Maybe the steep price of IM races is the company’s way to keep us motivated to race and not just a money grab

2021-10-13 8:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella It is official now, IM Texas is a go for April 23, 2022. I paid money, so there is no turning back.

Maybe the steep price of IM races is the company’s way to keep us motivated to race and not just a money grab

The price has gotten obscene. I am just like every other addict, I just need my fix. haha
2021-10-14 12:02 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

The Woodlands is 30 minutes from where I live.  The 10-miler that I did there last month followed a lot of the IM Texas run course.  I am excited for you.

2021-10-14 12:08 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Well...the steep price kept me out of IM Texas last week.  When I started the sport my annual budget for the sport was $1000.00.  I can't do that with race entries over $800.  I can still find half Iron races for under $300 so they are what is am sticking with for now.  When I am ready to do a 140.6 I will have to see if I can get the lawmakers to pass a vote to increase my household debt ceiling.  :-)

2021-10-14 1:24 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Well...the steep price kept me out of IM Texas last week.  When I started the sport my annual budget for the sport was $1000.00.  I can't do that with race entries over $800.  I can still find half Iron races for under $300 so they are what is am sticking with for now.  When I am ready to do a 140.6 I will have to see if I can get the lawmakers to pass a vote to increase my household debt ceiling.  :-)

That's one of the reasons I stay with local races, and not IM brands (or big brands). Well, I only did one HIM, but it was a local, small Wisconsin race, and it was maybe $120 or something? Comparing to HIM Michigan that cost over $500 that year. I understand IM brand offers well organized events, but small events are so cozy, everyone is so friendly, and the cost is so much lower...
I did couple of big events in Chicago, and even came to Chicago marathon - and I just hate the crowds..... Small local events = no crazy crowds. Also, they often have much better beer options
2021-10-14 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

That's one of the reasons I stay with local races, and not IM brands (or big brands). Well, I only did one HIM, but it was a local, small Wisconsin race, and it was maybe $120 or something? Comparing to HIM Michigan that cost over $500 that year. I understand IM brand offers well organized events, but small events are so cozy, everyone is so friendly, and the cost is so much lower... I did couple of big events in Chicago, and even came to Chicago marathon - and I just hate the crowds..... Small local events = no crazy crowds. Also, they often have much better beer options

The cost is pretty staggering but i also find it really interesting that in some ways it is cheaper than it used to be ... the proliferation of races has allowed more to be local to a least one of the 'branded' races. It makes me feel old but wasn't really that long ago but when my husband did Ironman Canada in 2007 there was only a handful of full-distance in North America  (and the 70.3 brand was only starting to become a thing) and the events sold out a year in advance so a lot of people travelled to the race the year before, paid to stay, volunteered for the day and got priority registration when it opened the next day in-person. He did actually fly out to BC to volunteer in 2006 ... so it's the fee plus all the accommodations and travel for two years. I mean, we did have Lake Placid in driving distance but it's still a 5 hour drive and still sold out as soon as it opened. 

Anyway, so exciting for Jim! We shall see how your new Hokas and updated nutrition program go! Under the guidance of your personal experts. 

2021-10-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by juniperjen

That's one of the reasons I stay with local races, and not IM brands (or big brands). Well, I only did one HIM, but it was a local, small Wisconsin race, and it was maybe $120 or something? Comparing to HIM Michigan that cost over $500 that year. I understand IM brand offers well organized events, but small events are so cozy, everyone is so friendly, and the cost is so much lower... I did couple of big events in Chicago, and even came to Chicago marathon - and I just hate the crowds..... Small local events = no crazy crowds. Also, they often have much better beer options

The cost is pretty staggering but i also find it really interesting that in some ways it is cheaper than it used to be ... the proliferation of races has allowed more to be local to a least one of the 'branded' races. It makes me feel old but wasn't really that long ago but when my husband did Ironman Canada in 2007 there was only a handful of full-distance in North America  (and the 70.3 brand was only starting to become a thing) and the events sold out a year in advance so a lot of people travelled to the race the year before, paid to stay, volunteered for the day and got priority registration when it opened the next day in-person. He did actually fly out to BC to volunteer in 2006 ... so it's the fee plus all the accommodations and travel for two years. I mean, we did have Lake Placid in driving distance but it's still a 5 hour drive and still sold out as soon as it opened. 

Anyway, so exciting for Jim! We shall see how your new Hokas and updated nutrition program go! Under the guidance of your personal experts. 

Did any of us manatees ever do that where you went the year in advance to guarantee registration?? I know plenty go to cheer and spectate friends now and end up volunteering because why not? 

2021-10-14 2:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I was on a bi-annual rotation where I would up-date tri gear and do cheap local races one year, then do an out-of-state race the next year.  Last year was perfect because about the only thing that wasn't canceled were local Super Sprint Triathlons.  One had a $40 race entry and there was price money for the Top three overall winners and I won $50.  I could do a lot of races that way.   

I admit that I almost DIDN'T do the 10-miler in The Woodlands last month because it was a $70 race.  I did it because I had sort of made a goal to run a sub-1 hour 10 miler and I have to actually run races to meet race goals.  So I bit the bullet and did the race. 

I couldn't do the 10-miler last week in Cypress, TX so I ran it as a Time trial on my own.  I was please with how much money I saved doing a time trial instead of a race. 

I really wish that Fleet Feet or some local running store would pick me up for their race team and pay my entries in local races and give me a swanky race singlet.  That would be the high life.  

2021-10-14 2:14 PM

User image

Expert

The Woodlands is 30 minutes from where I live.  The 10-miler that I did there last month followed a lot of the IM Texas run course.  I am excited for you.

Good to know that I have recon. How hilly is hilly on the run course? Is it Texas Hilly or Colorado Hilly?

2021-10-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

Did any of us manatees ever do that where you went the year in advance to guarantee registration?? I know plenty go to cheer and spectate friends now and end up volunteering because why not? 

I didn't know that was a thing.  I do remember my mom telling me that when the 2002 IM Utah had to stop the swim and cut off 45 miles of the bike course through canyons due to 40 MPH wind gust how many of the athletes were losing their once in a lifetime opportunity to do an Ironman because of all the work they had put into getting there they didn't know if they would ever get back again.  I didn't realize it was a two-year ordeal to get to a race.  

2021-10-14 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
COVID really hurt the little race directors. One very small company decided to close up for good. One of the owners took the equipment and runs 5 running races mostly 5 and 10 k and one half marathon. The bigger one here stopped doing HIM distance and his longest is an OLY. He also partnered with Challenge to do timing for some of their events. It's sad because he had events every weekend include 6 HIM distance races. Now the only HIM distance races in state are Steelhead and IM Michigan 70.3. Although I would not be surprised is IM started an Iron distance in the Traverse City Area. That area pulls tourists from all over the Midwest, especially now that it is becoming more popular for wine vineyards.
It eliminates all longer courses at a reasonable price. It also forces us to take vacations in places and at times that we normally would not. I can honestly say I never would have visited Louisville, Lake Placid or Tulsa otherwise.
2021-10-14 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 9-10
Melanie - hockey game

Dooo eeettt!!!

Wow, great time for the 10 miler! 

Super speedy! Congratulations!

2021-10-14 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Something like that...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74