BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-11-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by glfprncs This has been the hardest week of my adult life, and it's all because of my job. I'm SO over the lack of respect educators get from all sides...school leadership, parents, the community, and students. My own principal is amazing, but I have never disagreed with my county leadership on so many things. I just can't do this anymore... I spent today writing my resume for the 1st time in 18 years. I've got my eye on a position as a technical/policy and procedure writer, so here's hoping I can get an interview. Any and all advice to get someone to read my resume welcome. I'm so disheartened, but glad to finally feel enough to be motivated to make a change. I've been pretty unhappy for 3 years, but it's been nothing like this.
I'm so sorry about your discontent and desire to change careers, it's truly a shame that you were pushed to that decision.  ((hugs))  Kudos to you for making a change, though, and taking care of your emotional and psychological well-being.  Tough decision but very wise.  I wish you the very best of luck in finding a new position that brings you what you need.

2021-11-08 5:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually the Sara MacLarty blog (https://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/2013/?m=0) was my go-to for swim workouts as well before I got a coach, whenever I wasn't swimming with a master's group. Note they are at three levels. C is probably suited for most triathletes who are competent but not particularly strong swimmers. (It doesn't give set sendoff times, so you can go at your own pace.) B for stronger swimmers and/or people doing longer events (HIM and up). C is for the true fish, the kind of people who swim almost every day or swam in college, or pros or top age-groupers training for iron distance. I generally did the B workouts and the splits worked out okay for me. I could do C sets, but trying to make the times would be very tough for me in yards and undoable in meters.

The workouts are well-structured and challenging with lots of variety; I had good race swims at distances from sprint to HIM while training with them for several years.
2021-11-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 13-14
Nancy - Couch Potato MTB race on Saturday
Ann-Marie - Cade Cove Lope 10 miler

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-11-12 6:27 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

November 13-14

Dooo eeettt!!!

I love the name of that MTB race!Have a great run, Ann-Marie. Sure wish I were there, too.
2021-11-12 9:02 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

November 13-14

Dooo eeettt!!!

Good Luck Racers!
2021-11-15 8:28 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas

USAT just announced the 2022 Multisport National Championship in Arlington, TX.  See Here

The Standard Distance Duathlon 10k-40K-5K/Run-Bike-Run will be Saturday, April 30th.  So...my big Duathlon is now on the calendar.  The 2022 season is falling into place.   

Since I won't be traveling very far for my duathlon and will be staying with my parent in Dallas I might even be able to go to the Kiwami Team Camp in Arizona at the end of February (in place of my destination race).  Has anyone ever done a Tri Camp before?  I haven't and wonder what others think of them if they have done one.

2021-11-15 8:34 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

USAT just announced the 2022 Multisport National Championship in Arlington, TX.  See Here

The Standard Distance Duathlon 10k-40K-5K/Run-Bike-Run will be Saturday, April 30th.  So...my big Duathlon is now on the calendar.  The 2022 season is falling into place.   

Since I won't be traveling very far for my duathlon and will be staying with my parent in Dallas I might even be able to go to the Kiwami Team Camp in Arizona at the end of February (in place of my destination race).  Has anyone ever done a Tri Camp before?  I haven't and wonder what others think of them if they have done one.

Nice!  How kind of them to schedule this event so close to home for you!

2021-11-15 8:45 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Yep...

2021-11-15 11:35 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Over the weekend my coach landed the 2nd spot in USA Triathlon Draft Legal National Championship!  I guess she's pretty fast. 

2021-11-15 12:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Over the weekend my coach landed the 2nd spot in USA Triathlon Draft Legal National Championship!  I guess she's pretty fast. 

WOW! Impressive!

2021-11-15 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Agree! that's great - and great to have a good goal on the calendar to focus your training. 

As for training camps i have not personally been but would love to some time. for me that's usually about getting out of the cold, dark winter up here in Canada and getting to ride outside and swim when we are relegated to indoors. When i have looked the things i care about is if the training is consistent with what I want to do and with my training schedule and goals. It's usually A LOT of volume, at least the ones i've looked at, so i would be clear about what i wanted to do and not do. 

2021-11-15 5:20 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

Agree! that's great - and great to have a good goal on the calendar to focus your training. 

As for training camps i have not personally been but would love to some time. for me that's usually about getting out of the cold, dark winter up here in Canada and getting to ride outside and swim when we are relegated to indoors. When i have looked the things i care about is if the training is consistent with what I want to do and with my training schedule and goals. It's usually A LOT of volume, at least the ones i've looked at, so i would be clear about what i wanted to do and not do. 

Well...it will be the week leading up to the Woodlands Marathon. So I will be tapering. 

If I get some on-the-deck feedback on swimming form that would be a big help.  I could do some moderate bike rides with the team, and even a light run to two but nothing too long or intense. 

Yes, I get the idea that a lot of these camps are to do high volume weeks that people otherwise could not fit into their normal life schedule.  One guy on the team said that he has friends get together for these types of weeks once or twice a year and they do about 250 miles of Indian wind sprints on the bike.  I would have to use it for rest and recovery which would be the same time issue but in the opposite direction.  

They intensionally pick Arizona because it should be warm there at the end of February.  We have a lot of Canadians on the team and the warm weather requirement was specifically discussed.   

For me it would be fun week to meet people that I have only communicated with on-line, get team photos, get swag from the team sponsors, and hopefully come away with a plan for improvements on swim form and possibly some training plan suggestions for races in the three months following the camp.

Originally posted by melbo55

Yep..Impressive.

2021-11-15 10:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I did a tri camp (Thanyapura) in Thailand several years ago. I really enjoyed it, although unfortunately I was exposed to a nasty bug on the plane going over (flu? MERS? It was at that time and there were confirmed cases on the flight that day) and I started coming down with it by the latter half of the week. Aside from getting sick, I loved living the "pro athlete lifstyle". There were excellent coaches and video analysis of one's swim was included in the fee, which was really helpful for someone who was always coached remotely. The food was also excellent (breakfast and dinner buffets designed to meet the calorie and nutritional needs of athletes ranging from hard-core age-groupers to Olympians and pros, plus lunches and bike snacks to go for an extra charge. I would keep in mind:

1. The location. Hopefully somewhere that fairly reliably has the kind of weather you like. (Or, I guess, if training for an important race, the kind of weather you're preparing to race in.) You won't find me at a camp in Canada!

2. The quality of coaching.

3. Who's coming to the camp. Are there different groups depending on speed? I had a hard time finding a niche as most athletes were younger/faster, but ended up training with the mothers of two young women on the Swiss national junior team who were "along for the ride" with their daughters, but joined our workouts--the moms were strong age-groupers in their own right and we made a good group!

4. (Of course) The food. It's nice if it's pretty much all inclusive and there aren't a ton of add-on charges.

5. The volume of training you're prepared to handle physically and mentally. Some people do well with an intensive period of training well beyond their normal load (followed by good recovery) and some tend to just break down and get sick/injured. Maybe try a "pretend camp" at home sometime when other responsibilities permit so you can see how your body responds.

Edited by Hot Runner 2021-11-15 10:06 PM
2021-11-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas

Great insight.  Thanks Karen.

2021-11-16 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know some of you use DeSoto tri shorts.  I ran across a coupon code that I thought I'd share in case you are in need of some replacements

This from us here at De Soto Sport: Sitewide Sale 25% off.
Use code SlowtwitchHoliday25%

2021-11-17 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Here's one more Black Friday type deal that I thought some of the ladies might be interested in.  SkirtSports is having a Black Friday Blowout. I'm not too into the skirts, I have a few and I like them well enough but mostly I'm a shorts person. Anyway, I do like the pocketopia capri quite a bit -- they are both comfy and flattering (at least I don't feel ugly in them!)

2021-11-17 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Here's one more Black Friday type deal that I thought some of the ladies might be interested in.  SkirtSports is having a Black Friday Blowout. I'm not too into the skirts, I have a few and I like them well enough but mostly I'm a shorts person. Anyway, I do like the pocketopia capri quite a bit -- they are both comfy and flattering (at least I don't feel ugly in them!)

Thanks for giving us the 411 on black friday deals! I need to check out the DeSoto one b/c I am in desperate need of tri shorts! I did snag a garmon 530 bike computer before the cabin internet decided we shouldn't use it! If anyone is looking for something like that I think most places have dropped their prices. I got mine from backcountry.

2021-11-17 10:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Thanks for giving us the 411 on black friday deals! I need to check out the DeSoto one b/c I am in desperate need of tri shorts! I did snag a garmon 530 bike computer before the cabin internet decided we shouldn't use it! If anyone is looking for something like that I think most places have dropped their prices. I got mine from backcountry.

Nice! I think that you'll like the 530.

Keep the Black Friday deals coming!

2021-11-17 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Anyone use the desoto Carrera tri short?

2021-11-17 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've used the "400 mile" -- still have some that are going strong.  Does the Carrera have the 400 mile chamois (checking...) -- oh, it looks like they redesigned the 400 mile pad -- and the price!

I know that Lisa and Nancy have used DeSoto as well.

2021-11-17 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've used the "400 mile" -- still have some that are going strong.  Does the Carrera have the 400 mile chamois (checking...) -- oh, it looks like they redesigned the 400 mile pad -- and the price!

I know that Lisa and Nancy have used DeSoto as well.

yeah, that price is crazy! I generally just use tri shorts v bike and the carrera are a really good price right now, so i may take the plunge.

2021-11-17 11:02 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hello friends, I wanted to share that I'm officially cancer free today after my 6-month follow up scans this morning. I feel like this year has been it's own "race" or sorts, health-wise for me, and I've come to a 'mile marker' at long last. This is your reminder to schedule your screenings 

2021-11-17 11:16 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Hello friends, I wanted to share that I'm officially cancer free today after my 6-month follow up scans this morning. I feel like this year has been it's own "race" or sorts, health-wise for me, and I've come to a 'mile marker' at long last. This is your reminder to schedule your screenings 

AMAZING!!! So wonderful to read this news! 

2021-11-17 11:38 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

AMAZING!!! So wonderful to read this news! 

Woo Hoo, congratulations!

2021-11-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74