Tempe, Arizona
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well here goes nothing. First off this has been a very hard week. You spend so much of your past year of your life gearing up for this one day when you fail it hurts and it hurts bad. I have failed at nothing I have ever set out to do besides this so swallowing my pride and realizing I can gain lots of valuable information has been tough to do but I have started to piece together a new plan on the rest of my life and I call it my life because I want triathlons not to be just a hobby but a integral part of my lively hood. I still love this sport and I know I will be doing it until I cannot I just have to make some changes to make myself capable to do so. Originally I was just going to race for fun but that is out the door I am about to get my fat ass in gear drop the weight and compete. That might be my issue because I did the training just to finish and you know what I still want to finish but my competitive side has now taken over. I was a collegiate baseball player and golfer and I trained to win in both those so now I am gonna do the same here. I know the base has to be there and it will take a while but I am going to take it a lot more serious. So that’s where I stand. As for the Ironman I am going to do IM Louisville in 08. Now on to the race. First I want to extend huge congratulations to all of those that stepped up to the race line on race day no matter what your outcome. You all did great in your own way. I then want to tell all of those whom I met last week that it was a true pleasure and I hope to see you all at another race in the future.. So I am going to start with the couple days before. I arrived in Tempe on Thursday and went straight to the race site to get my packet and start taking in the IM atmosphere. After that I went back to the BT house and met up with Jess, Jeff, Chippy, and later on Rick and Lane also stopped by. All of which are some great BTers. I could not of asked for a better group to stay with. . Later that night we had dinner with Tanya and Robin as well. We went to a group swim Friday morning where met the Cows, The Gomer, and several others(I apologize for not remembering all the names at this moment)We had a great swim and then went to a neat little coffee shop for breakfast. Later that night we had the athlete meeting(met more BTers) and waited in line for crappy food. But what do you expect for 2500+ people so we skipped the Meal and jetted off to Joes Crab shack. The next morning we loaded the bikes up and transition bags and dropped them off at the site. I then had the honor of picking up the great Jeep Fleeb at the airport!! So we went back to the house and prepared for the BT dinner fest. So tons of BTers so we had a ball!!!Ok on to the race

Woke up at 3:30 and jumped in the shower. Then went to eat a sandwich and have a big glass of Gu2o . Got the stuff together and headed to the race site. We were trying to park in the garage and got all the way to the top an no more spots WTF?? So Chippy and Aaron took our car and parked it for us. As Jess and Rich and I were walking Jess asked about my special needs bag oh no I forgot them so lets switch game plan so I moved some stuff and it would work. Got body marked and then headed to get the bike ready. Found Tom (Madcow) and hung out with him until the swim start. He helped me out a lot since he is a vet at this. So I jumped in sang the national anthem and got ready.

Swim
  • 1h 25m 33s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well I seated myself to the right side but close to the front so what the heck let the blended commotion begin. The cannon went off and I took off. My goal was to start to swim towards the middle slowly. So how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop well I was kicked punched and grap that many times in the first minute of the swim but it got better for that moment. I was shooting for the tallest peak of a mountain because it was about center of the lake and I figured that was the best optio. I settled in good and was actually sighting off of other swimmers which was helping. I then got caught up again in a blender for a while again and got out of it. I made it to the turnaround and cut it way to close so pounded kicked slapped and then some for a bit more. I then headed back to the other end. During this time I was starting to get the occasional leg cramp but since I don’t kick I was ok and kept on going. I felt like I zig zagged on the way back in horribly but got back on tract and could see the end!! Right before I got to the ramp my leg locked up something fierce. I rolled over and laid there in anguish and just started back stroking to try to get to the end and it finally went away. Got to the end got out and headed to the strippers!!
What would you do differently?:

Go harder. I felt relaxed the whole time and was not really tired at all.
Transition 1
  • 11m 25s
Comments:

Well I found two people as I was running pointed at them and they got my wetsuit off perfectly and I took off to the transition running the whole way. Got my bag and headed into the sauna. Dumped my bag out and put on my jersey , socks, shoes, etc… Rushed out and had the sunscreen people put some on(bad idea) then off to get my bike and let the fun(or what I thought would be begin)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 112 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I left the transition and started on the course from hell. The start of the ride was just a awesome feeling. I am doing a ironman!!! I am rolling along and waiting to start my nutrition and just mentally deciding the game plan. The roads were smooth except for a couple of sections but I was cruising along about 16-18 miles a hour but felt great. Passed a couple people on the bike but was getting passed by a bunch but all I said was man atleast I beat em on the swim!! So We get out on the Bee Line and I start my good vibration. I am hammering but in the right zone so it is all good. Then I hear something about a cat in a brandy glass and it was Rich so that was great to see a familiar face. We proceed up the hill and I know we have a little wind at the back so I knew I was getting some help but I did not think that much. At this moment I get passed by the male pros wow they were hauling some tail!!! So I get to the top and turn around then this is where all the stuff hit the fan. I hit the first hour averaging about 16.5 miles per hour and then going down hill I was totally demoralized. I spent so much time going 7-9 miles a hour it just plain hurt. I was giving it my all and just nothing was coming out. So I busted it hard and made it finally back in town and was just tuckered. Made the turnaround then heard Mike Riley call my name”and there goes ChristopherBost you can see him a mile a way in him lime shirt” I thought yep next time I hear you you will be calling me a Ironman!So I head back out and finally pick speed back up and just kept telling myself keep plugging. I hit the 56 mile mark in exactly 4 hours which was what I was planning a 14 MPH at the worst so its all good. Now its time to go back down the hill and this time it hurt and it hurt bad. I was hammering all I could just trying to go. I kept trying to take in nutrition but it all started coming back up. I hit the turnaround back in town and wow one more hellish lap and then I can run. Well I kept getting sick and I was down to turtle pace. I kept nothing down and it was not good but go to keep going. I got to mile 83 and I was down to averaging 12 miles per hour for the ride and just had to stop for a minute because not only was I puking ever so often I was cramping like no ones business. While at the aid station a Race Support guy came over to check on me and he said you don’t look good and I said thanks laughing that I was gonna relax then proceed on well he told me I only have tow more hours left to go the thirty miles and the bottom hit. I was just torn up. I realized that obviously I was not gonna finish so he asked if he could take me to the medical tent and I agreed. I sat down and just started to ball. I felt like such a failure. Why me? Why this day? Those are questions I will answer later on in mycareer. Well They had one guy in a ambulance and myself and another girl they took to the medical tent. When I got there the started checking my vitals and took a blood sample and based on that they said they had to immediately start some IVs. So when it was said and done I ended up with three bags of IVs but I got to share the medical tent with Joanna Zeiger and Kata Shumaker. I stayed in the medical tent for about 2.5 hours then got up to go and try to be alone. I talked with my parents, girlfriend, and several others wheo were worried because they could not find my splits. I got myself together rolled my bike over to tribike transport got my keys went home took a shower and laid down. I apologize I did not stay to see my friends finish I just could not bare to be there anymore. To those who have read this know its not the end of my Ironman Race it is just the beginning!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2006-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:33 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 11:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 112 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-04-18 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: Ironman Arizona(DNF)

2007-04-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: #767279

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona(DNF)
Chris, you did great man. The winds were brutal out there. There's no shame, you went out there, gave it all you got, and even had to end up with 3 IV bags. You had great company in the medical tent You'll get them next year.

I DNF'ed at my first IM last year and came to this one with a vengence. I didn't do to hot but i'll tell you, when you cross that finish line after a DNF, any embarrassment, negative feelings, will all be erased and you will be proud that not only did you become an ironman, but you came back and defeated your demons to become one.
2007-04-18 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
I can't wait to read next years race report!  This will all just be a learning experiance.
2007-04-18 5:07 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Looks to me like you didn't fail in the least. The crap hit the fan. Your body was very very unhappy and you did what you should have - you sought medical attention. You toed the line and fought that wind on the bike course. And dude, do you know how much guts it takes to do the training and toe the line? You rock in my book.

Train hard and take Louisville by total surprise. Can't wait to read that RR.

Edited by shepherd 2007-04-18 5:36 PM
2007-04-18 5:11 PM

Pro
AZ
Chris - I think you did great! You went farther and did more than I and like 4 billion other people did that day!!  Like the quote in my blog says: "In every race there is an invisible crowd of thousands who didnt have the courage to start."  YOU, my friend, had the courage to start, and you did the best you could do on THAT day.  That's all you can do. I know you will pull yourself up by your boot straps, and achieve whatever goals you set before yourself!!!  You still rock!
2007-04-18 5:14 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Chris-
Thanks for sharing your IM RR. Three IV's, ugg, glad to hear you are ok. Looking forward to reading your RR for IM Louisville, you are going to kick butt!!!
Abbie

2007-04-18 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
There's no embarassment here. At least you tried. That in itself is so much more than most people ever do. It just doesn't seem like it when you're immersed in a tri community.

Criminy, I can't even swim 2.4 and get out of the water w/o walking like I've hammered a 5th of tequila. And Sean still loves you.
2007-04-18 5:25 PM

User image

Hiit a bump in the road, that's all.  Can't control race day conditions, but you've got my respect for just showing up.  And even more for coming here and being honest.

Looking forward to the IMKY report!

2007-04-18 5:35 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Chris,

Hold your head up my friend !!   You fought a great fight out there, on a day where the weather conditions took out A TON of athletes.  The effort you guys put forth would have you smashing your way across the finish line on anything resembling a normal day.

Not to be too dramatic, but there's a lot of glory in going out there and giving it your all.  And I applaud your passion for the sport.  That just tells me you have plenty of great races ahead of you.  I look forward to hearing all about it.

Dan 

2007-04-18 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
You did great!!! The conditions were brutal and you fought till the end. I have nothing but respect for you man. This is just one small speed bump, and I know that there will be a lot of great races in your future.
2007-04-18 6:22 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I will be there when you become an Ironman. You are already a stud to me, though. What can you do about bad conditions? Nothing! Now you have time to become a stronger athlete and kill the IM Lou course!

2007-04-18 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Chris--I am so proud of you! You've come a long way baby!! Getting thru the swim and 83 grueling miles on the bike is a HUGE freaking accomplishment!  This experience will better prepare you for your next IM, and make the sound "Chris Bost, you are an Ironman" that much sweeter!!
2007-04-18 8:17 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Your progress is amazing, even though it didn't hit your goal for IMAZ.  Check your logs from 1 year ago, and you'll see.  It's amazing.  Props to you for giving it everything, and taking, with class and determination, what race day gave you.

See you in Louisville, 08.

2007-04-18 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison,WI

Chris, regardless, you are absolutely awesome.  You did 100% more than most people, you had the courage and you registered for an Ironman, you did the training, and you showed up!  Sometimes things are out of our control, and you already decided there is going to be a next time.  I hope I can be there to see it happen. 

You should be so proud of yourself.

You coming to Wisco for IMMOO?  I think you owe Trigods and I a visit.

2007-04-18 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Wow Chris. Wow. That is one scary experience. I am SO glad that you are ok and that you didn't end up worse. It really makes us realize that we are pushing our bodies to the limit in this sport. The mind wants to go forward but sometimes the body can't. You really left it all out there on the course.

I know it may sound strange, but I feel this bond with the others that didn't make it that day. A DNF like this is hard, especially when you're used to pushing yourself hard and coming out on the other side.

I know it's tough to write a race report like this and putting all of your feelings out there for everyone to see. But when you look back you'll remember exactly how this felt and that will fuel you to push even harder. And it also helps in the healing process to just get it all out in words.

You are so awesome for going forward and signing up for IMKY in '08! You will beat this race and become an Ironman! We both will.

2007-04-18 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
You'll be back...remember...it's a journey...

2007-04-18 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Chris....thank you for sharing your story with us.  While the outcome was less than desirable, you are truly an inspiration to many who don't have the courage to toe the line and for the rest of us who are going through the training for our first IM.  I look forward to reading a great IM KY report! 
2007-04-18 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations on your great effort! Now you have more info about yourself that you can use to prepare for IMLA. Some of us can't imagine even attempting an Ironman, so we are in awe.
2007-04-18 9:09 PM

Champion

I kept watching the splits and deep down inside, hoping, hoping.  Thinking you might be OK, you might still make the cut off.  5:30 came and went and I had that sinking feeling too.  We all were dying right along with you.  No one wants to see a great guy with a big heart be unable to make it to the finish of his #1 race.  But it does teach you something about yourself, and about the day.  The smart ones with tremendous drive don't let it beat them down.  It's obvious you're in that group.  All it's going to do is make your Ironman finish that much sweeter. 

You gave it your best shot...we're damn helluva proud of you for pushing it to your limits.  See you at the next finish line...Louisville!

2007-04-18 9:16 PM

User image

Master
New York
You're gonna KILL IMKY next year Chris! Sorry the day didn't turn out how you had planned, but you'll come back at Louisville with a vengeance and tear it the F up.

I read somewhere today that it takes exactly as much Iron to make it to the start as it does to the finish.
2007-04-18 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego

First off, it was great meeting you as well.

Now it's time to get out there and kick some IM tail. The first part of your report got me real fired up and I can tell you are more than determined as well. You're gonna do it. Maybe I'll switch up my next IM and be there at IMLOU with you, we'll see.

2007-04-18 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Chris:

Thanks for sharing with us and for having the immediate courage to say you are going to try it again!  Also, it is amazing that you still had the wits to make the right decision when they asked if you wanted to see medical..live to fight another day!!

Tim

2007-04-18 10:45 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

I am so glad you wrote this.  You are one hell of a guy and I'm proud to call you my friend.  I'm glad you got out there and gave it your best shot.  That wind was brutal.  I'm gonna be there when those words get said to ya.  IMKY 08 is your race.  Now you know what you have to do.  You rock...thanks for sharing your week with me.  No matter what the outcome of your race was, you had the courage and the resolve to do something that 99 percent of the world will never even venture to accomplish. 

2007-04-18 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Thanks for sharing your story. Isn't there a saying that goes, "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger". It took courage to admit that it was not your day and seek medical attention. Good luck at your next IM. I am sure it will be a "Can of Corn".
2007-04-18 11:43 PM

User image

Mesa
Hold your head high... you still did great. 1 out of 10 did not make it, including 2 of the guys I train with. You will get there next time!

Was nice to meet you too.... even though you wouldn't drink a Guinness with me. LOL
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona(DNF) Rss Feed  

of 2