General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Seattle Women’s Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Seattle Women’s Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 14s
Overall Rank = 17/1144
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/128
Event warmup:

I should start by saying I am in the midst of a two week "off period" with no structured training or anything. I was racing this just for fun because I really do need this time off.

I knew lots of people doing this tri. Some coworkers, some good friends, some friends from college, my cousin even! it was really nice just hanging out with all of them. A lot of these events end up being a solo adventure and that gets lonely.

So, I was NOT the biggest sh*t show for once. Ohhh boy. My friends S and B did this event. Of course neither of them really trained. Also, S has a kickstand on her bike if that hints and what kind of a competitor she is. Anyway, we went to rack our bikes together the day before and when S wasn't looking, B taped a photo of herself between S's handlebars. S sees it and is like, "WTF?" and B says, "Every time you look at my photo, remember not to leave me out on the course somewhere because I'll probably die." So anyway, now that I have more or less painted a picture of the two. Let's dive into this triathlon.
Swim
  • 15m 53s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was fine. Short enough to not suck. It was very crowded though. And these ladies were very grabby. I got all sorts of grabbed. Also got kicked pretty good in the gut by a rogue breast stroker.

Additional Notes: Don't start peeing in your wetsuit until your bottom half is fully submerged.

Now, here is a brief summary of S and B:
S finishes about 20 minutes before B. B states that her goggles (which she describes as "Predator Eyes" ) Instantly filled up with water so she decided to make the bold move of backstroking the entire half mile. Despite several bumps into kayaks and other swimmers, she finished without drowning.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Damn! I dropped my goggles. Stopped, picked them up, dropped my swim cap, stopped, picked it up. Hand my hand stepped on, nearly trampled, carried on.

Not drop all my shyte?!
Bike
  • 36m 20s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

It would have been really great to have some competition to push me a little. There was one lady on a TT bike that gave me something to chase. It was very very clear that on the hills I had significantly more strength. Got right up on her azz (but she either intentionally or unintentionally was blocking me out and not letting me pass, which was really annoying) When we got into the flat section she would drop me back about 15 feet or so until the next hill. Clearly my positioning is inefficient. If I were to continue to do triathlon I would get this fixed now. It's never been so clear.

Ok so, now on the the S and B show. B got to the big hill and immediately tipped over. S nearly ran her over. The volunteers were flustered. S and B prevailed after the short set-back.

Fix my position on the bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

This was fine I guess.

FASTER! Better dismount off bike
Run
  • 21m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Fairly straightforward, again. I got into what I perceived to be the front of my AG and then didn't really have anyone to push me. It was a nice little run. I thought I did a nice job of keeping pace and then killing the hills at the end.

Saw J at the very end, which was awesome!

Run faaaassstttterrrrrr
Post race
Warm down:

Watched the various different people I knew racing finish. Then went to the awards.

After all was said and done S and B were going to give us a ride home.
S gives B her keys to go grab the car while she waits with the bike. B comes back down the hill looking dejected. Stating she could not find S's car. S then goes up the hill to look for it and also can't find it. I knew exactly where it was parked so then I went up the hill. Yup, that bad boy was gone!

I ran around to try and find a PO to see if they knew what towing company they used in the area. All I could find was a firefighter who essentially was said, "Yeah you are going to have to find a police officer. They never seem to be around when you need em are they?" Ha! I agreed. By the time I did find one, and got a phone number, S had already found out who towed her. At this point, she was sobbing. Through her tears she got out, "I ... just ....want...a........cheeseburger ...... and .....a .....beer....."

So, we went ahead and made that happen. Shoot, having your car towed is way better than having it stolen. You gotta look on the bright side!

PS You have to park 5' away from a driveway or you are at risk of being towed. Consider yourself warned.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of passion for the sport, bad positioning on the bike, no time between nationals and the sprint etc. etc. etc.

Event comments:

Pretty damn fun

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:53 | 880 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 0/1144
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Straight out to first buoy, 90 degree right to far buoy and then straight back to the finish. Very straightforward and easy to navigate.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:20 | 12.4 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling with one very annoying hill. It's an access road where everyone has to ride up single file. TONS of ladies had gotten off their bikes to walk so I was more or less stuck. Huge momentum kill both going up and down. Coming down you also had to go single file and this could have serves as a a very fast (albeit sketchy) descent but no dice. Had to sit on the brakes the whole way down waiting for the ladies in front of me to move.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:56 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat until about 2.5 miles then there is a very steep but short hill followed by a long gradual hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 12:16 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Seattle Women’s Triathlon

2013-08-19 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4833105

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Athleta Iron Girl Seattle Women’s Triathlon
Hahahaha!  Speedy and fun...Way to go out with a bang Laughing 
2013-08-19 12:40 PM

Master
Northern IL
Going out on top, haha.
2013-08-19 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

As always, awesome RR!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the pix too!!!!!!!

For someone with "no passion" you are sure one speedy mofo!

Glad the car wasn't stolen, and that you got beer and a cheeseburger.

2013-08-19 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Congrats on another super performance.  First AG at a big event like that is some serious butt kicking.  Keep up the good work. 
2013-08-19 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Go on.  Go ahead and retire.  See if I care.  *Sniff* *Sigh*

Well, I suppose if you're not passionate about it, then you should kick this chit to the curb, but, seriously, it does make me wonder what you could do with the sport if you dug it. Really nice race, Mz. 1st in your AG.

Now, I know you have some serious azz running goals, so as long as you stay here on BT and keep us apprised of that, I'll try not to slip into a deep, dark depression about your tri retirement.

2013-08-19 1:11 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I love that you had no one to really challenge you and yet you still won your AG - freakin' AWESOME!

If you're going to retire, it might as well be with a win!  (and then a cheeseburger and beer)

2013-08-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Nice race!  Nice race report!  I'm sorry but you have now qualified for next year's age group nationals, you can't retire!
2013-08-19 1:30 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
I haz a sad that you are retiring Cry.  But so long as you can keep your running RRs entertaining, all will be forgiven Laughing.  Nice job on the AG win!
2013-08-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Pennsylvania
Way to rock the race, girl!!  The antics of S and B had me rolling, especially the pic on the bike idea, so funny!  Glad the car was just towed and not stolen.  And nice move pulling a Gretzky - retiring at the top of your game!  You are a very fast person.
2013-08-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by jmkizer Nice race!  Nice race report!  I'm sorry but you have now qualified for next year's age group nationals, you can't retire!

+1 Love you!

I loved hearing about the antics of S & B. I can't believe the car got towed. That's a new one.

Oh, yeah, and you are super speedy. I love that. Great race.

2013-08-19 1:49 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by KansasMom

Originally posted by jmkizer Nice race!  Nice race report!  I'm sorry but you have now qualified for next year's age group nationals, you can't retire!

+1 Love you!

I loved hearing about the antics of S & B. I can't believe the car got towed. That's a new one.

Oh, yeah, and you are super speedy. I love that. Great race.

You guys are bad examples. Smile

2013-08-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by bcraht I haz a sad that you are retiring Cry.  But so long as you can keep your running RRs entertaining, all will be forgiven Laughing.  Nice job on the AG win!

Oh for goodness sakes, I do like 1-2 tri's a year. You won't miss a thing! Smile

2013-08-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by switch

Go on.  Go ahead and retire.  See if I care.  *Sniff* *Sigh*

Well, I suppose if you're not passionate about it, then you should kick this chit to the curb, but, seriously, it does make me wonder what you could do with the sport if you dug it. Really nice race, Mz. 1st in your AG.

Now, I know you have some serious azz running goals, so as long as you stay here on BT and keep us apprised of that, I'll try not to slip into a deep, dark depression about your tri retirement.

^^^This^^^

Keep on running and getting faster. Most of all, keep on being you, because you are awesome!!!

2013-08-19 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Congrats on the AG win, you beast!!
2013-08-19 3:36 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Had a smile WHILST reading the entire R R. Especially loved the S an B BS lol.

2013-08-19 3:50 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

You definitely race with the most interesting folks.

Congrats on the podium - awesome race (and I loved the pics)!

I guess that if you do a few Tri's a year, your retirement will be more of a "Favre" than a "Gretzky" - for which we'll all be thankful (and I get the running thing - my better half has gone the same way), as long as you post a RR. 

Matt

2013-08-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

You definitely race with the most interesting folks.

Congrats on the podium - awesome race (and I loved the pics)!

I guess that if you do a few Tri's a year, your retirement will be more of a "Favre" than a "Gretzky" - for which we'll all be thankful (and I get the running thing - my better half has gone the same way), as long as you post a RR. 

Matt

No, no, no! I am not continuing to do a few tris a year, that's a thing of the past. I'm a Gretzky!! I loved Favre and all, but I was really annoyed when he didn't just commit to the retirement. I had better hold myself to the same standard

2013-08-19 4:14 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome race!  First in AG for a race you did totally for shytes and giggles--nice way to retire from the sport.

Not sure which is funnier, your description of the S&B side show at the race or your actual race.  I would LOVE to do a tri with you just to see the hijinks and shenanigans but since you up and retired I guess that is about as likely as seeing a pig fly.

2013-08-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Payson, AZ
Another awesome race report.  I love the kick stand. 
2013-08-19 10:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by Asalzwed

No, no, no! I am not continuing to do a few tris a year, that's a thing of the past. I'm a Gretzky!! I loved Favre and all, but I was really annoyed when he didn't just commit to the retirement. I had better hold myself to the same standard

Don't worry -- we can wait, you'll be back. Gretzky was getting out of warfare-on-ice; you're claiming retirement from the two non-impact parts of triathlon. When you're an old fart like the rest of us, we'll be in our carbon rockers waiting to welcome you back to tri-ville.

Plus, starting the race with a nice swim is a great way to work on a hangover from the pre-race beer.

And nice work on the AG win, despite all those grabby women.

2013-08-20 11:22 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by colinphillips
Originally posted by Asalzwed No, no, no! I am not continuing to do a few tris a year, that's a thing of the past. I'm a Gretzky!! I loved Favre and all, but I was really annoyed when he didn't just commit to the retirement. I had better hold myself to the same standard
Don't worry -- we can wait, you'll be back. Gretzky was getting out of warfare-on-ice; you're claiming retirement from the two non-impact parts of triathlon. When you're an old fart like the rest of us, we'll be in our carbon rockers waiting to welcome you back to tri-ville. Plus, starting the race with a nice swim is a great way to work on a hangover from the pre-race beer. And nice work on the AG win, despite all those grabby women.

Hmmmm, you do make some valid points.

Shoot, you will all have carbon rockers and I'm sure I'll still have a wood one. But it WILL have a cup holder

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Seattle Women’s Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Women's Triathlon

Started by CyborgQueen
Views: 1958 Posts: 10

2012-05-07 8:27 PM abake

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Tahoe South Shore Women's Triathlon

Started by newby4
Views: 1144 Posts: 2

2011-09-22 2:05 PM Cagolddigger

Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon

Started by gshyne
Views: 1196 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 9:01 PM gshyne

Started by CyborgQueen
Views: 2183 Posts: 11

2011-05-17 11:07 AM TRICLOPICUS

Started by Amrosco
Views: 1250 Posts: 2

2011-05-01 5:13 PM jpbis26
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.