BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-11-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

In the category of "things that maybe we can get excited about in 2021" -- the Loudoun 1725 Gravel Grinder in Virginia.  I listened to last week's GDT podcast and they had a few reports from the rescheduled from June to October 2020 event and I am sold.  I really want to do this one next year!

2020-11-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by lisac957

Speaking of risk taking, let's talk Thanksgiving.

Around Labor Day, I said to my parents, let's get together for dessert over Thanksgiving weekend.  There was a lot of hemming and hawing.  Mu dad suggested a outdoor meal, the said coffee, and had a new plan every time that I spoke with him. Well, guess what he suggested this weekend?  Let's get together for dessert on Thanksgiving!  What a great idea!

Basically, everyone is on their own for turkey and most sides. I am making cranberry sauce and delivering it.  My mom is making dinner rolls so we will exchange.  I need to figure out what my brother and Lyn would like.  We are making apple pie to share. I'm probably also going to make an apple cake.

Doing my 2nd solo Thanksgiving! I'm looking forward to it! Going to go a little untraditional and make a lasagna.

My sister and I had the Christmas conversation with my mom when they were here for my house move. It was a difficult conversation. In the end, we said we wouldn't be able to live with ourselves if one of our (6) high-risk family members ended up in the hospital because we knowingly and intentionally didn't follow health guidance. I know my dad is upset, which upsets me. I feel solid in the decision though.

You are the second person that I know who makes the traditional Thanksgiving Lasagna!

Our Christmas will probably be similar to our Thanksgiving. Since it's my birthday, I plan to have birthday cake.  I'll probably make and deliver cookies as well.  (My parents are 20ish minutes away.)

Ahhh... I'd love the recipe of Thanksgiving lasagna!
We do "camping turkey", since we go camping for Thanksgiving. Not the whole turkey, but a leg, wing, breast.... I mix oil, mustard and tarragon, and then spread over salt & peppered turkey pieces, cover with aluminium foil and place in the fire pit.
We go camping to some remote places, so we will not be around people, and will have all shoping done in my locla store. Same plan for Christmas.
2020-11-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanksgiving is going to be a bit of a bummer this year, for me as for many others.  PA cases are through the roof.  Neighboring states are 'closing' non-essential travel in and out, so the invitation from my bro to go to DE is out.  We/I often invite our 'on their own' friends to share the table with us but that isn't really a safe idea this year especially since one of the friends is in chemo and the another friend works in a nursing home.  I'm going to make plates for both of them and deliver.  Another couple we often spend the holiday with is high risk so that is out unless it's unseasonably warm that we could meet outdoors.

2020-11-17 2:17 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Thanksgiving is going to be a bit of a bummer this year, for me as for many others.  PA cases are through the roof.  Neighboring states are 'closing' non-essential travel in and out, so the invitation from my bro to go to DE is out.  We/I often invite our 'on their own' friends to share the table with us but that isn't really a safe idea this year especially since one of the friends is in chemo and the another friend works in a nursing home.  I'm going to make plates for both of them and deliver.  Another couple we often spend the holiday with is high risk so that is out unless it's unseasonably warm that we could meet outdoors.

I'm sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that it's a mild Thanksgiving and we can meet outdoors.

2020-11-17 2:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

ETA: I’m really hopeful for the Pfizer vaccine since it doesn’t need that crazy cold storage!

Other way around - Moderna doesn't need the refrigeration Yeah the anti-vaxxers scare me. And the people who generally aren't anti vaxxers but have no trust in the system. I'd still rather have 2 days of side effects rather than a lifetime of heart, lung and kidney problems!

doh, yes Moderna!

me too!

Apparently, Pfizer may file authorization request for Covid-19 vaccine within days.  Things are moving quickly!

2020-11-17 4:43 PM

User image

We actually did Thanksgiving on Sunday. Kind of. Everyone who is still working in the schools was remote for the past 2 weeks. The only thing I did outside the house was swim or walk and my mom walked as well so we had COVID tests and then stayed in.

Well my sister and her office staff had to go into school on Thursday. One person who came in started running a fever that night and lost their taste and smell. She tested positive on Friday so my sister is now quarantined for exposure and they were unable to come over. I made them "TV dinners" and we went and put them on the porch.

We tried.

2020-11-17 9:08 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
We cancelled Thanksgiving and Christmas a couple of weeks ago. My wife works for the hospital system and our cases are worse than they were in the Spring. The only difference is our hospital systems are better prepared. Our hospital re-opened its COVID wing two weeks ago and they have their highest COVID census. One of the hospitals in Saginaw is at 99% capacity the other is at 75% and so is the one in Midland. I strongly support our governor (aka Big Gretch, it's favorite nickname, or that woman from Michigan). The move she mad shutting down bars and restaurants, restricting indoor gatherings and closing the high schools was the right call.

The vaccines cannot come fast enough! I read from a couple of legitimate sources that it won't be available to the general population until March. It will go to front line and at risk people first, which it should. My wife says there is something seriously wrong with me, but I don't think that will be enough to get it early haha.
2020-11-18 6:35 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella We cancelled Thanksgiving and Christmas a couple of weeks ago. My wife works for the hospital system and our cases are worse than they were in the Spring. The only difference is our hospital systems are better prepared. Our hospital re-opened its COVID wing two weeks ago and they have their highest COVID census. One of the hospitals in Saginaw is at 99% capacity the other is at 75% and so is the one in Midland. I strongly support our governor (aka Big Gretch, it's favorite nickname, or that woman from Michigan). The move she mad shutting down bars and restaurants, restricting indoor gatherings and closing the high schools was the right call. The vaccines cannot come fast enough! I read from a couple of legitimate sources that it won't be available to the general population until March. It will go to front line and at risk people first, which it should. My wife says there is something seriously wrong with me, but I don't think that will be enough to get it early haha.

I'm curious what most people in Michigan think of the lockdown -do they support the Governor? I ask b/c Mad King Trump has given the anti-Big Gretchers a lot of air time and one of my co-workers keeps pointing to Michigan as a horrible example of how to handle the pandemic, he thinks everything has been shut down the whole time.  I tell him he's a big dope and needs to look at more mainstream media. 

2020-11-18 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo We actually did Thanksgiving on Sunday. Kind of. Everyone who is still working in the schools was remote for the past 2 weeks. The only thing I did outside the house was swim or walk and my mom walked as well so we had COVID tests and then stayed in. Well my sister and her office staff had to go into school on Thursday. One person who came in started running a fever that night and lost their taste and smell. She tested positive on Friday so my sister is now quarantined for exposure and they were unable to come over. I made them "TV dinners" and we went and put them on the porch. We tried.

Yikes, hope your sister is ok! We are doing a big phone swap, so Verizon techs have been at the agency. Monday, a tech came in even though he had COVID signs. He was sent home and we are now in holding re the swap and those he exposed are in quarantine. People can be real dummies!

2020-11-18 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo We actually did Thanksgiving on Sunday. Kind of. Everyone who is still working in the schools was remote for the past 2 weeks. The only thing I did outside the house was swim or walk and my mom walked as well so we had COVID tests and then stayed in. Well my sister and her office staff had to go into school on Thursday. One person who came in started running a fever that night and lost their taste and smell. She tested positive on Friday so my sister is now quarantined for exposure and they were unable to come over. I made them "TV dinners" and we went and put them on the porch. We tried.

Oh man! I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Hopefully, it's a false alarm.

One of my coworkers has covid (we are remote and have been since St. Patrick's Day).  He's been out for nearly two weeks.  His wife's mom had emergency back surgery.  His FIL picked up covid about this time (from the hospital?),  While FIL was isolating upstairs, MIL was recovering from surgery downstairs and my co-worker's wife went to help. She got it and brought it home.  She had a very high fever for 11 days. As soon as she was out of bed, my co worker went down with it.

2020-11-18 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Toilet paper story:

My parents have been ordering a case of TP as needed from Amazon (can you tell that they are not Costco members?).  They ordered a case a few weeks ago. They got a picture of a box and a your package was delivered message. They looked at the picture and said, "That's not our porch?!"  Sure enough, no TP.  They contacted Amazon and were told, no problem, we'll ship you another.  They received the second shipment and a few days later, their neighbor came over and said, "My daughter put this in my house and I didn't notice that it was addressed to you."  Now they have 72 jumbo rolls of TP...

2020-11-18 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yikes, hope your sister is ok! We are doing a big phone swap, so Verizon techs have been at the agency. Monday, a tech came in even though he had COVID signs. He was sent home and we are now in holding re the swap and those he exposed are in quarantine. People can be real dummies!

ARG! How frustrating!  Are you at least working from home for now?

2020-11-18 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

ARG! How frustrating!  Are you at least working from home for now?

yeah, no. As of about a week ago we had 80 people out either with it or bc of exposure. We keep getting wear your masks emails, but no indication we will ever go remotely again. To be fair, the lawyers are really the only ones who could work effectively that way, so it would be bad form if we did what others can’t. 

2020-11-18 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Toilet paper story:

My parents have been ordering a case of TP as needed from Amazon (can you tell that they are not Costco members?).  They ordered a case a few weeks ago. They got a picture of a box and a your package was delivered message. They looked at the picture and said, "That's not our porch?!"  Sure enough, no TP.  They contacted Amazon and were told, no problem, we'll ship you another.  They received the second shipment and a few days later, their neighbor came over and said, "My daughter put this in my house and I didn't notice that it was addressed to you."  Now they have 72 jumbo rolls of TP...

Hoarders

2020-11-18 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella We cancelled Thanksgiving and Christmas a couple of weeks ago. My wife works for the hospital system and our cases are worse than they were in the Spring. The only difference is our hospital systems are better prepared. Our hospital re-opened its COVID wing two weeks ago and they have their highest COVID census. One of the hospitals in Saginaw is at 99% capacity the other is at 75% and so is the one in Midland. I strongly support our governor (aka Big Gretch, it's favorite nickname, or that woman from Michigan). The move she mad shutting down bars and restaurants, restricting indoor gatherings and closing the high schools was the right call. The vaccines cannot come fast enough! I read from a couple of legitimate sources that it won't be available to the general population until March. It will go to front line and at risk people first, which it should. My wife says there is something seriously wrong with me, but I don't think that will be enough to get it early haha.

Agree! hahaha! 

But was thinking the same thing about the vaccine - Health care workers and seniors first. Which is as it should be. 

Stay safe all! It sounds pretty upsetting. This week i have my first 'i know someone who's gotten it' - because I haven't until now. I do watch the data every day and I know that I live in a place where the numbers are 'high' (though, sorry for you my American friends, is still way below where many states are) but my neighbhourhood is definitely not a hot zone. So, i still didn't know anyone who had gotten it. But this week one of my team mates did - we haven't worked in person together since March (with no plans to return to the office any time soon). He's fine but it does seem awfully close to home.

But i also wonder who's not listening??? It's so frustrating to know that I can personally do nothing more. My kids are in school and daycare which seem to be going well but we follow ALL the rules! I am really fighting the feeling of being punished for the actions of others. I know this is not true at all. No one is doing this to me and we are all in it together regardless ... so i just usually need to remind myself of this and move on. 

2020-11-18 11:21 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same here! I feel really sorry for you Canadians! I think I read somewhere that being Canadian is like "living in an apartment above a meth lab". That sounds about right. Oregon is not doing too well with record numbers most days, but compared to other states, I guess, our rates are fairly low. What that means personally--in a school with only 20-30 staff members, we've had two diagnosed Covid cases, and probably a few more undiagnosed ones (early on). We haven't been in-person since March, so presumably they got infected elsewhere in the community. That's a rate of about 10%. Of my 16 students, two have relatives that have died of Covid (3 deaths total--2 in one family). And I honestly don't expect things to get any better until there's a vaccine, especially with all the holiday gatherings. In our county, small gatherings among family and friends are the primary means of spread. Closing pools will not help, restaurants only marginally because most of these gatherings are in people's homes. You just don't know what choices people have been making, or where they've been and with whom, unless (maybe) you live with them. Mom and I will be doing Thanksgiving by ourselves. I guess it's less of an issue when you don't have any living relatives within 1000+ miles.

Also really wondering about how vaccine rollout will work here. Things are so polarized and disorganized. Essentially we have no functioning central government and haven't for a long time; the transition is going to be messy at best and violent at worst. Plus so many people will not be willing to get vaccinated. Just don't see a quick or easy way out of this.

2020-11-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 

Ahhh... I'd love the recipe of Thanksgiving lasagna! 

I'm just making a regular sausage lasagna (gluten free for me) - no turkey Last year I bought a little turkey breast and roasted it - only to throw a bunch of it out as I realized (AGAIN) that I don't love turkey as leftovers. At all. I know I will eat every last bite of a lasagna though lol!

2020-11-18 3:32 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I think I've said it before - but maybe not....

we're doing drive through Thanksgiving - I'm still cooking but all the food will be outside with take out containers (including plastic food service gloves) and every house gets their own container of gravy and canned cranberry sauce (the inlaws love that but I'm also making the good stuff).

Menu:
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
cranberry sauce
roasted brussells sprouts
bread/rolls

dessert - to be eaten over zoom with everyone
4 pies (mom ordered)
GL Angel food cake
cookies

Stay safe all. Hope all your friends and families currently affected get through it at home without the need for medical care!!
2020-11-18 3:40 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I've said it before - but maybe not.... we're doing drive through Thanksgiving - I'm still cooking but all the food will be outside with take out containers (including plastic food service gloves) and every house gets their own container of gravy and canned cranberry sauce (the inlaws love that but I'm also making the good stuff). Menu: Turkey Stuffing Mashed potatoes cranberry sauce roasted brussells sprouts bread/rolls dessert - to be eaten over zoom with everyone 4 pies (mom ordered) GL Angel food cake cookies Stay safe all. Hope all your friends and families currently affected get through it at home without the need for medical care!!

I love how creative you all are getting to celebrate with family.  I am lucky that we were in a better place Covid wise for our Thanksgiving and we were able to celebrate with family.  We are in the process of moving now, and we will finally have enough room to host Christmas.  However, I am not sure we will be in a place Covid-wise to do so .  

Sorry to hear about those of you who have been affected, directly or indirectly, with the virus itself. We have had a number of staff and students be tested but no positives as yet.... 

2020-11-18 8:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

I'm curious what most people in Michigan think of the lockdown -do they support the Governor? I ask b/c Mad King Trump has given the anti-Big Gretchers a lot of air time and one of my co-workers keeps pointing to Michigan as a horrible example of how to handle the pandemic, he thinks everything has been shut down the whole time.  I tell him he's a big dope and needs to look at more mainstream media. 

It depends on where you are at, and who you are talking to. If you are in a urban area, they love her. In rural areas that are primarily white and high school (or less) educated (where I live), then they are strapping on their AR-15 and putting out their "our governor is an idiot" sign. The head of our local Republican Party (militia guy) convinced our county commissioners (idiots) to pass a resolution to impeach the governor. The same guy at a meeting said we have to be ready because BLM and Antifa are coming to Northern MI because they are "looking for soft targets." Like the rest of the country, the state is very divided. We are probably more reflective of what the country as a whole looks like right now. It's interesting how Michigan was a mostly democratic state because of the car makers, but the democratic party left them behind and the went with "Guns, God and Trump."
Personally we really like her. Initially, we voted for her because I know the guy that was running against her (now there is an endorsement). Turns out we really like her, and I think she is a great role model for my daughters. Looking at the news, you would think she is the most maligned person in the state, but that's not true. It is very concerning how the president and Michigan Republicans responded to the kidnapping plot.

Edited by JBacarella 2020-11-18 9:02 PM
2020-11-19 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

It depends on where you are at, and who you are talking to. If you are in a urban area, they love her. In rural areas that are primarily white and high school (or less) educated (where I live), then they are strapping on their AR-15 and putting out their "our governor is an idiot" sign. The head of our local Republican Party (militia guy) convinced our county commissioners (idiots) to pass a resolution to impeach the governor. The same guy at a meeting said we have to be ready because BLM and Antifa are coming to Northern MI because they are "looking for soft targets." Like the rest of the country, the state is very divided. We are probably more reflective of what the country as a whole looks like right now. It's interesting how Michigan was a mostly democratic state because of the car makers, but the democratic party left them behind and the went with "Guns, God and Trump." Personally we really like her. Initially, we voted for her because I know the guy that was running against her (now there is an endorsement). Turns out we really like her, and I think she is a great role model for my daughters. Looking at the news, you would think she is the most maligned person in the state, but that's not true. It is very concerning how the president and Michigan Republicans responded to the kidnapping plot.

I just hope that  your state legislature doesn't circumvent the will of the voters in your state.

2020-11-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

It depends on where you are at, and who you are talking to. If you are in a urban area, they love her. In rural areas that are primarily white and high school (or less) educated (where I live), then they are strapping on their AR-15 and putting out their "our governor is an idiot" sign. The head of our local Republican Party (militia guy) convinced our county commissioners (idiots) to pass a resolution to impeach the governor. The same guy at a meeting said we have to be ready because BLM and Antifa are coming to Northern MI because they are "looking for soft targets." Like the rest of the country, the state is very divided. We are probably more reflective of what the country as a whole looks like right now. It's interesting how Michigan was a mostly democratic state because of the car makers, but the democratic party left them behind and the went with "Guns, God and Trump." Personally we really like her. Initially, we voted for her because I know the guy that was running against her (now there is an endorsement). Turns out we really like her, and I think she is a great role model for my daughters. Looking at the news, you would think she is the most maligned person in the state, but that's not true. It is very concerning how the president and Michigan Republicans responded to the kidnapping plot.

I just hope that  your state legislature doesn't circumvent the will of the voters in your state.

Wayne County which includes Detroit was certified and then the president called one of the board members and the member tried to change their vote is a disappointingly racist way. The votes will be certified on Monday. The concern is if the Congress tried to highjack the electoral college votes after the president summons them to the White House. Before their audience with the little king the both made public affirmations that they would respect the vote. I want to be naïve enough to believe they will even after their visit. Maybe they won't wear masks....

Edited by JBacarella 2020-11-19 9:08 PM
2020-11-20 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wayne County which includes Detroit was certified and then the president called one of the board members and the member tried to change their vote is a disappointingly racist way. The votes will be certified on Monday. The concern is if the Congress tried to highjack the electoral college votes after the president summons them to the White House. Before their audience with the little king the both made public affirmations that they would respect the vote. I want to be naïve enough to believe they will even after their visit. Maybe they won't wear masks....

The attack on our democracy is scary. They called Biden/Harris socialists and scared a bunch of people, meanwhile he acts like the dictators he admires -loyality oaths, making the dept of justice his own lawyer, pardoning his cronies and calling for prosecution of his enemies, etc., and now this.  For some reason his followers think that is swell. it's outrageous!

2020-11-20 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Having lived most of my adult life in dictatorships, I have to admit I can really, truly see how this this could happen here in the near future. And not one of those semi-enlightened dictatorships where at least the leadership is informed by some competent people in matters of economics, public health, etc. More a banana republic like Venezuela, Zimbabwe or the Philippines under Marcos. I just pray this is all a bunch of really, really bad political theater that some people are mistaking for reality.
2020-11-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Having lived most of my adult life in dictatorships, I have to admit I can really, truly see how this this could happen here in the near future. And not one of those semi-enlightened dictatorships where at least the leadership is informed by some competent people in matters of economics, public health, etc. More a banana republic like Venezuela, Zimbabwe or the Philippines under Marcos. I just pray this is all a bunch of really, really bad political theater that some people are mistaking for reality.

Well, the fact that someone was not re-elected is actually a Hugo Chavez plot! Never mind the fact that he is dead...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127