Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-01-04 9:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

My tri training plan started today and I already am behind! Plan called for me to actually swim, but my bed called for me to stay there. Bed won.  I’m rethinking the start of the swim portion of the plan. I know I won’t be doing any tris before Choo 70.3, so my current plan which is oly focused before moving into HIM distances is not really needed - at least for swim stuff. So, I may push the swim off til the end of January. I think that’s the Janyne plan and who can argue with her!? 

2021-01-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

FYI, there are only TWO mentor forums this year.  We'll try to keep this one open as long as we can to help folks out.  I'll redo the roster on my training log page at the end of the week. For now, all new and returning members are marked with a *.

Lauren and Joe, if you are on Strava, please let us know, we have a Strava group as well (more place to encourage each other!) and the group can be a nice way to find other Manatees on the site.  Anyway, our group is invite only so we'll need to know that you are there for you to get in.  I'll clean up the Strava group as at the end of the week as well.

Wow, I can’t believe there are just the 2 groups ! BT has certainly changed!

2021-01-04 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

My tri training plan started today and I already am behind! Plan called for me to actually swim, but my bed called for me to stay there. Bed won.  I’m rethinking the start of the swim portion of the plan. I know I won’t be doing any tris before Choo 70.3, so my current plan which is oly focused before moving into HIM distances is not really needed - at least for swim stuff. So, I may push the swim off til the end of January. I think that’s the Janyne plan and who can argue with her!? 

What?  Float down the river?  haha! Seriously, the way the vaccine rollout is going, I'm not super stressed about my need to swim.   My "need" for a gravel bike, though, may be increasing!

Regarding my training, I am on Outseason until the beginning of February. Then I need to decide what to do.  HIM plan starts March 1.

2021-01-04 11:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Joe!  Hi Lauren!  Welcome to the Manatees!

2021-01-04 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What?  Float down the river?  haha! Seriously, the way the vaccine rollout is going, I'm not super stressed about my need to swim.   My "need" for a gravel bike, though, may be increasing!

Regarding my training, I am on Outseason until the beginning of February. Then I need to decide what to do.  HIM plan starts March 1.

Yeah, with the slow roll out i am even less confident in any races until late summer, but who knows maybe we will get our act together soon.

Looking at bikes is like looking at cars, once you start you have to buy!

2021-01-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

**raises hand** 
PRESENT!

NAME: Lisa

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm in the Manatee Strava group if you want to request to follow me - Lisa Conklin in Roswell, GA

STORY: Grew up swimming and have been doing triathlon since 2006! I've completed 86 races (running + triathlon) including 14 half-iron and 4 ironman distances. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kiddos - but dog mom to dachshund Ellie Mae

CURRENT TRAINING: In the middle of training for a full marathon Feb. 28

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Publix Atlanta Marathon Feb. 28, Ironman Wisconsin Sept. 12

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Friends and encouragement

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been a manatee since 2015/2016 when Janyne invited me after I crashed my bike on the Ironman Louisville course and broke my leg. This group kept my spirits up at a low point in my life and I'm  hoping to pay it forward and offer support and encouragement in turn. 

Edited by lisac957 2021-01-04 1:18 PM

2021-01-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Lisa!

2021-01-04 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No. I have done Calgary 70.3 twice (and hope to do it again!), but not Vancouver.
2021-01-04 3:41 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Welcome to the 2021 edition of the Manatees. Our motto this year is Dooo Eeeet!!! 

NAME: Curtis

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava - STRAVA PROFILE LINK HERE 

STORY: I have been doing Triathlons for 5 years.  I jumped into the sport to do a local 70.3 that had the start line 10 minutes from my front door for my first race.  I trained for it for 8 months and when I completed it in just over 7 hours I was in the best shape of my life.  I was a life long runner and didn't know if I would do more than the first race but two weeks after the 70.3 triathlon I ran my fastest 5K race in ten years so I stuck with Triathlons because the training kept me motivated in a way that I never was with running, and I was a better runner on my Triathlon training that I was when I was doing 55 miles a week of pure running.  I was such a poor cyclist and swimmer I didn't think I would ever be as good at Triathlon as I was at running where I had finished top three overall at some mid-sized races with a few hundred people.  I however have now been the overall winner at two USAT sanctioned races.  My running has also continued to improve and I have broken the a few 5k-15K race records and been the overall winner at numerous rural Oklahoma races.  I am preparing to move to Houston, TX in the next 2 months so there is a lot of uncertainty in what I will do this spring. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married 12 years with three kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am going to do the free TriDot 8-week Pre-season program for the next two months.  I figured this would be a good year to outsource my training plans since I will be busy with the move and with no races due to Covid cancellations I didn't know what to do anyways.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I will wait and see what comes my way.  Hopefully, I will connect with the Triathlete community in Houston and beable to do some Sprint races this summer and then focus on a 70.3 race in the fall.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Surrounding myself by others who are doing what I am doing is how I stay focused and motivated.  I am glad to be back with the group for another year. 

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I like to learn from others and like to share what I have learned to hopefully help others.

2021-01-04 4:06 PM
in reply to: JoeBritt

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JoeBritt Goals: I want to be a high performer for my first triathlon. I want to feel prepared, and know that I gave my all for this training. I want to feel confident in each movement, and know that when the time comes, I have given all my effort into being the best I can do.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Honestly, I'm very new to this sport, and I've played at some of the highest levels of sport. I have extreme dedication to my goals, and want to succeed more than anything. With this, comes a great understanding of how to be coached. I have coached myself, and would love to get involved in this avenue of some sort. With that being said 100% of the feedback given would go towards and be tried, as the mentors are here for a reason, and are the people I'm hoping to look up to!! Hope to hear back from you guys! Love this initiative as it seems to have garnered great success thus far! ~~Thanks !! Joe

This was me 5 years ago.  I wanted to be a high performer in my first triathlon and go sub 5 hours in my 70.3 but finished in over 7 hours (double flat tires, cramps on the run, etc).  I gave it my all though and had put everything into being my best so I felt as good crossing the finish line as I would have been if I had been the overall winner.  It took me another three years to finally do a 70.3 Triathlon in under 5 hours and four years to become an overall winner, but I probably did a lot of things the hard way though. Good luck! We will all be looking forward to you racing in the Vancouver Triathlon.      

2021-01-04 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

FYI, there are only TWO mentor forums this year.  We'll try to keep this one open as long as we can to help folks out.  I'll redo the roster on my training log page at the end of the week. For now, all new and returning members are marked with a *.

Lauren and Joe, if you are on Strava, please let us know, we have a Strava group as well (more place to encourage each other!) and the group can be a nice way to find other Manatees on the site.  Anyway, our group is invite only so we'll need to know that you are there for you to get in.  I'll clean up the Strava group as at the end of the week as well.

Janyne, Thank you very much for putting this together this year, I have been derelict in my Manatee work.  Mentor Groups are in a bit of a downturn from years past, but I'm sure this group will keep plugging along, trying to support and share, and helping if we can. Welcome to all, the new and the not so new. There are some experienced folks in here and this group truly is devoid of egos and snark. For the record, we have had some really strong folks in here, but you would never know it, since they are all as humble as can be. I am always impressed by the folks in this group, not  because of their accomplishments, but because they are so willing to help others. 

2021-01-04 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Arguing with Janyne's success is useless, wait until February!

And yes Janyne, you neeeeeed a gravel bike!!!!

2021-01-04 8:36 PM

User image

Love this all!!!

Is there anything you guys would start with in terms of plans / ones would suggest(free to start)

Let me know!!
2021-01-04 8:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

I started my "plan" last Thursday. I am wondering what I was thinking when I signed up for a May race. I knew my swim options were limited in a normal year, which is why I always preferred my bigger events in the Fall, so I had all Summer to swim. I won't be traveling to city with the closest YMCA this winter. I am putting a lot faith in swim bands and weight training this year. Thank God Tulsa should be wetsuit legal. I think I just guaranteed that this will be the warmest winter ever in Oklahoma.

Edited by JBacarella 2021-01-04 8:53 PM
2021-01-04 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What distance are you focusing on? There are some decent beginner and intermediate plans here on BT, some of them free. I think I've done the beginner and intermediate plans for Olympic distance and half-ironman, some of these multiple times, and maybe also one of the aquathlon plans. You'll probably find you need to modify some aspect of them depending on your strengths/weaknesses. They kind of aim for the middle. I thought the swim was a bit low in volume/quality (I have a pretty strong swim background) so I substituted workouts from more advanced plans, or a master's swim site instead. But if you're a weak swimmer, you might find putting in workouts from a beginner swim program to be more suitable.

The "intermediate" plans on BT seemed very hard to me--I'll be honest. I have a decent swim background, at one time was close to national class at the marathon and half-marathon (admittedly, that was a couple decades before I got into tri), and have seen a lot of run mileage and intensity. The bike is not my forte, but I have good endurance. And the intensity of those "intermediate" plans kicked my butt! I ended up getting a coach when I had more ambitious goals (70.3 Worlds) because I felt like I wasn't getting the balance of training right between the three sports, tended to overtrain and get sick, and lacked the knowledge to train properly for the bike leg.

Start with the beginner plans LOL!
2021-01-05 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JoeBritt Love this all!!! Is there anything you guys would start with in terms of plans / ones would suggest(free to start) Let me know!!

As Karen said, BT has some good free plans, so you may want to start there with one of the beginner plans and adjust as needed. I think Tridot has a free 8 week plan and then you can get reduced rates on its more advanced programs. I used it for the 1st few months of 2020, but didn't get very far until COVID and a broken knee, so i don't have a full accounting of its effectiveness! But, lots of people love it and have had great success. Janyne uses Endurance Nation and seems to be happy with it. It is a paid platform, but is reasonable.  I am using Parry Coaching which is also an on-line platform similar to both EN and Tridot. 

So, lots of choices!

2021-01-05 7:11 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

I started my "plan" last Thursday. I am wondering what I was thinking when I signed up for a May race. I knew my swim options were limited in a normal year, which is why I always preferred my bigger events in the Fall, so I had all Summer to swim. I won't be traveling to city with the closest YMCA this winter. I am putting a lot faith in swim bands and weight training this year. Thank God Tulsa should be wetsuit legal. I think I just guaranteed that this will be the warmest winter ever in Oklahoma.

I hope Tulsa is a go ! It seems weird that you are not doing Lousiville (I know it doesn't exist anymore)!! 

2021-01-05 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

And so it begins... My April event has been rescheduled for September...

2021-01-05 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

ugh! is that the assault on the Carolinas ?

2021-01-05 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I refuse to give IM Corp. any more of my money until/unless an event I've already signed up for actually takes place.
2021-01-05 10:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy New Year!!
I wish everyone tons of health, and the best weather for training and racing!

About me:
NAME: Marysia

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook: Marysia Grabowska. I have Instagram that I barely look at, and Strava that never works on my phone, so I don't really use it.

STORY: I have done several triathlons, sport, oly, and one HIM. I am recently into long distance running, but want to continue my TRI journey, as soon as I can find a place to swim.
I do all sorts of different sports: mtb, rock climbing, cross country skiing, and I enjoy how these sports complemete each other.

FAMILY STATUS: I am a single parent of two kids, and have a cat. My partner, who currently lives in IL (I am in CO) has a dog. They both visit us regularly, and when they do - the dog is basically mine

CURRENT TRAINING: The best thing I love about moving to Colorado is the weather that allows me to bike and run in winter.... It was probably doable, but awful while in Chicago... So I do get a chance to bike and run right now - no excuses. It is hard to find a swimming pool, as they require reservations, and only have few spots (filling out quickly), or are closed. Thus, I focus on endurance, form and technique, and consistency.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I am registered for 50 miles in KY at the end of April, fingers crossed they won't cancel... I am hesitatnt to schedule more races, unless there is a refund policy. I would love, however, to do another ultra run and a triathlon. Time will tell.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Support, advice, fun, conversation

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am hoping to be active more this year. I do read the posts, but it's sometimes hard to keep up with such alove group What makes me a good manatee is that I am supportive and will try to help if I can

Please visit when you are in the area! (once thee restrictions are gone).

2021-01-05 10:46 AM

NAME: Jason

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I’m on Facebook but don’t use it much other than to see what people I grew up with are still doing. I’m on Strava as Jason G and am in the Manatee group. No Twitter/Instagram/etc.

STORY: I grew up playing sports of all kinds, primarily focused on football. I also did a lot of swimming since I grew up in the desert heat in California and had a pool. Not a whole lot of exercise from college on though, and even less once my career got going after law school. A few years ago the idea of a triathlon came to me. I don’t really know what sparked it. The problem was that I’ve hated running about as much as anything my entire life, but I am starting to be ok with it. I am most comfortable in the pool, which I think is a positive since that seems to be a struggle for a lot of people entertaining the idea of a triathlon. With two teens in the house and a busy job, fitting in workouts can be tough. I’ve moved my bike trainer to the office and we have a treadmill at home. I was a prosecutor for over a decade and then was appointed as a judge two years ago, so my days are pretty full. I’d love to be a sushi chef when I grow up though.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 25 years last week. Two kids, 16 and 12, and a schnauzer named Berkeley.
CURRENT TRAINING: Current training is somewhat of a hodgepodge right now. I’ve been treadmill running more consistently, and I now have my Wahoo Kickr Snap set up in my office to ride when I have open time during the day. Swims are a little more difficult because the pool is by reservation only Monday-Friday until noon. Hopefully I can start getting there more consistently.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I had a couple of sprint tri’s scheduled for last year but they obviously did not materialize. We had a sprint tri here in my town for several years, and when it got cancelled last year the organizers decided they would not bring it back. So I will have to travel for any kind of organized triathlon. My goal for this year will be to get to at least one sprint tri. I would also like to do a 5k, a 10k, and I am considering a half marathon in September. Running is definitely my weakest sport, so we’ll see if I can get that far.

I did set distance goals for this year for the first time. I tried to be realistic about the numbers, taking into account the business of life and work, as well as the difficulty in accessing the pool. Run 350 miles, Bike 1250 miles, and swim 40,000 yards.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Getting back into shape, losing the several pounds I need to lose, and enjoying myself in the sport. The ultimate goal a few years down the road is a full IM, but we’ll see how that goes.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I don’t know how much I have to offer, but I love the camaraderie of the group and will contribute when I can. I follow a lot of the group on Strava. I am amazed at the number of Janyne’s posts on there, I love following JenSnyder’s swim times, JamesB’s trainer rides, and LisaC’s training log graph is almost always look picture perfect like out of the Joel Friel training books. The group is inspiring.

2021-01-05 10:50 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy belated anniversary, Jason! 25 years is amazing! 

2021-01-05 12:45 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Happy Belated anniversary, Jason!

I love how you have goals for when you grow up. I'm still clueless on what I want to be when I grow up! I'm thinking a Zamboni driver would be fun but my husband says I'm too short to see over the Zamboni's steering wheel.

2021-01-05 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ugh! is that the assault on the Carolinas ?

Yes.  We have the option of riding in September 2021 or April 2022.  At least they gave us plenty of warning.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74