BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-16 10:04 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ironman updates

https://www.ironman.com/updates

I expect this part if of the most interest to our Pod:

• Postponement:  Registered athletes for events that are postponed due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically transferred to the rescheduled date. For those that the new date does not work, we will allow deferrals into the same event the next year.
  • Cancellation: Registered athletes for events that are cancelled due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically deferred to the same race in 2021.
  • Other options: We are vetting other options to allow displaced athletes to race in 2020 and will communicate those in due course.

This is definitely of interest.  For myself, I'd be concerned doing Choo later into the summer (heat).  It's been proven long distance races and I don't get along in the heat.  For sure it would take some consideration to do it on their postponed date or defer to next year.

Here, the tri season is pretty short, there's only so much runway for warm enough water to swim in ... we will see, though. 

2020-03-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep--The only tri event I entered all year is in Calgary late July. Can't really see that happening in the fall!
2020-03-16 2:37 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
It appears that you are all in the same situation as me. You want to race, but you really don't know if you will get to or when it will be. I would like to welcome you all to my hell.
2020-03-16 2:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HI Kids.

Crazy busy here between trying to still do my job and navigate all the Covid-19 info. I hope all of you are staying put (and working from home if you can) and staying healthy.

Here in CT we are finally mandating the closing of gyms and restaurants after 8 for dine-in (they can still deliver). 100% of public schools are closed and the department of revenue has extended the time to file and pay some business taxes.

We are still waiting to hear from the treasury regarding your Federal taxes but we expect an extension from 4/15 for at least 90 days and maybe longer!

Stay safe my friends - hope to see everyone racing this summer!

R
2020-03-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I also entered Crater Lake Marathon in mid-August. It's a small event (field limited to 500 total runners for three different events, and the marathon usually has barely 100 people). Plus the extremely tough, hilly course makes for the ultimate in "social distancing". My guess is if ANYTHING is still on, that one would be! Plus--I won this event a couple of times in my 20's. It holds a special place in my heart.
2020-03-16 10:54 PM

User image

Master

At noon today my student tell me they just got an email that effective immediately all in-person activities at the College are cancelled. I got an email 10min later.  Nice.

The Y near me closed as of tomorrow, bought myself a set of swim cords.  So far my small trail race is on May 9 (I'm expecting them to cancel), but my aquabike was cancelled today. Race is June 6, gov't today banned all gatherings of more than 50 people up to at least May 30.  Not complaining, completely understand and it is the right call. I'm feeling bad for members of my team who have plans for their first HIM this year . We are going to put on a fun team race if everyone is cancelled, which will be fun and medals will be beer .

Stay positive and stay healthy everyone.

2020-03-17 7:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've received some guidance from Endurance Nation.  I'll share it here but it's really supposed to be for EN members.

Here's the the guidance PDF from Endurance Nation.

For swimming 75% of your total swim time should be cardio and 25% strength.

Summary:

Your Next Race Was / Might Be Before June 1 - If the status of your upcoming race is still unclear, then you absolutely need to make sure thatyou have subscribed to all potential places for race directors updates - this includes email and social media as well. Train as planned. The PDF lists many different scenarios.  It's likely that one or more applies to any given situation.

Have any of you received guidance from your coaches or training groups?

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-17 7:19 AM
2020-03-17 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I've received some guidance from Endurance Nation.  I'll share it here but it's really supposed to be for EN members.

Summary:

Your Next Race Was / Might Be Before June 1 - If the status of your upcoming race is still unclear, then you absolutely need to make sure thatyou have subscribed to all potential places for race directors updates - this includes email and social media as well. Train as planned. The PDF lists many different scenarios.  It's likely that one or more applies to any given situation.

as always Janyne, thanks for all the info!!!
2020-03-17 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Summary:

Thanks Janyne. My running program is shut down until further notice. Advice for keeping base miles for HM and M people was given. Tridot is supposedly coming out with swim cord and or other exercises to do in lieu of swimming. Thankfully, as of this morning my pool is still open with no immediate plans to close. Outdoor pools for the win! 

2020-03-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

In other swimming news, Roka is having a sale on its sim pants and I get another discount bc of my tri-team, so I bought a pair. If Janyne hadn't asked about them recently it would never have crossed my mind that I needed a pair, so thanks Janyne  

2020-03-17 9:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Atlanta Tri Club has obviously cancelled all in-person trainings, but today they started a 100-day challenge. The head coach filmed himself doing the no-equipment challenge (mostly strength stuff, today it was pushups), posted to Facebook and asked members to chime in on the comments when they completed it, how they did, etc. I appreciate the creativity in trying to keep members engaged in these times. 

2020-03-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Swim questions:

1. If your (small) gym was still open, would you go to swim laps? Having a huge internal dilemma right now.
  2. Can I simply use regular resistance bands, or do I need to order specially-designated dryland/swim cords?

Edited by lisac957 2020-03-17 9:38 AM
2020-03-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Swim questions:

1. If your (small) gym was still open, would you go to swim laps? Having a huge internal dilemma right now.
  2. Can I simply use regular resistance bands, or do I need to order specially-designated dryland/swim cords?

I don't think that swimming is the problem.  I think that it's getting from your car to the pool and back but especially the locker room that is the problem.  As a stronger swimmer with a September event, I think that I'd consider doubling down on the ride/run but that's just me.

I think that any resistance band will work. In fact, I think that I may do at least as much of the TRX stuff as the cords stuff since it's mostly swim-specific strength that this seems to accomplish.

2020-03-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Atlanta Tri Club has obviously cancelled all in-person trainings, but today they started a 100-day challenge. The head coach filmed himself doing the no-equipment challenge (mostly strength stuff, today it was pushups), posted to Facebook and asked members to chime in on the comments when they completed it, how they did, etc. I appreciate the creativity in trying to keep members engaged in these times. 

Nice!  I love that!

OK, I'm hoping that it's no 100 days. Sadly, not totally unrealistic.

2020-03-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pennsylvania

As of yesterday PA joined the shutdown club.  All non-essential businesses are closed of course including rec centers, entertainment venues, restaurants only open for take out/delivery, etc. etc.  but also hair salons and barbershops.  Coincidentally, I have a haircut scheduled this week.  I guess I will just be a shaggy dog until the ban is lifted.  I'm picturing me looking like Rip Van Winkle, sans beard.  LOL!  I have doubts that I'll be able to get it cut any time soon. 

Thanks for the swim cord links, Janyne.  They will be helpful.

2020-03-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

As of yesterday PA joined the shutdown club.  All non-essential businesses are closed of course including rec centers, entertainment venues, restaurants only open for take out/delivery, etc. etc.  but also hair salons and barbershops.  Coincidentally, I have a haircut scheduled this week.  I guess I will just be a shaggy dog until the ban is lifted.  I'm picturing me looking like Rip Van Winkle, sans beard.  LOL!  I have doubts that I'll be able to get it cut any time soon. 

The rumor is that NC is shutting "everything" down today. I don't know what that means and it's only a rumor.

I got my hair cut last week figuring that once we hit community spread in a big way, that would be out (and I don't trust Kevin to cut my hair).

2020-03-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Cell phone proof of life post:. Schools, libraries, gyms closed for at least two weeks. No steady internet. Can walk and cycle here but no shower. Best I can do is a stand up bath. Plenty of other things to keep me busy. Not going to count on 5/9 5k but 8/2 Lumberjack should be safe.

Side note, I teach Emergency Preparedness classes at a couple of local libraries. I've actually had people challenge my assertion that they should have at least a 14-30 day stockpile at their houses. I bet that will be an easier sell from now on.
2020-03-17 11:07 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Cell phone proof of life post:. Schools, libraries, gyms closed for at least two weeks. No steady internet. Can walk and cycle here but no shower. Best I can do is a stand up bath. Plenty of other things to keep me busy. Not going to count on 5/9 5k but 8/2 Lumberjack should be safe. Side note, I teach Emergency Preparedness classes at a couple of local libraries. I've actually had people challenge my assertion that they should have at least a 14-30 day stockpile at their houses. I bet that will be an easier sell from now on.

Thanks for checking in!

2020-03-17 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

The rumor is that NC is shutting "everything" down today. I don't know what that means and it's only a rumor.

I got my hair cut last week figuring that once we hit community spread in a big way, that would be out (and I don't trust Kevin to cut my hair).

Florida goes on a 30 day bar and nightclub shut down at 5pm today with restaurants having to limit capacity to 50% . Individual cities and counties may be more restrictive. These executive orders mean that i am a bit busy trying to get all the deputies up to date on the latest as we enforce the EOs. This is very similar to what happens during a hurricane except it's a lot longer duration!

2020-03-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Florida goes on a 30 day bar and nightclub shut down at 5pm today with restaurants having to limit capacity to 50% . Individual cities and counties may be more restrictive. These executive orders mean that i am a bit busy trying to get all the deputies up to date on the latest as we enforce the EOs. This is very similar to what happens during a hurricane except it's a lot longer duration!

NC is also doing that starting tonight. And I was finally told to work from home.  And we finally told the students that dorms will not be open again this semester.

2020-03-17 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

NC is also doing that starting tonight. And I was finally told to work from home.  And we finally told the students that dorms will not be open again this semester.

and Dare county ( on the outer banks) shut down to all visitors!!!!!

2020-03-17 1:11 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hate to say it, but...we stocked up about 3-4 weeks ago.

I have been taught my whole life to keep a food storage.  About 10 years ago we had a really bad ice storm that knocked the entire city out of power for 3-8 days.  The shelf of the store was empty in 24 hours and people were freaking out.  Being a guy I hate shoping so when I was single I would only got to the store every 3-4 weeks to stock up for another month.  The idea of people not being able to make it 3-8 days without supplied from the store shocked me.  We are well stocked now.  We are getting a dozen eggs a day from the chickens, we have a meet locker full of chicken, turkey, gooses, and duck that we raised and processed last fall, we had one of our goat's kid last week so we are getting goat milk, and the second should kid any day.  We have flour, sugar, baking powder, whole grains, etc.  We should be able to hold out for a few months.  II have been camping before so I know that their are other options is we run out of TP and wet wipes.

I am not currently signed up for any races.  Three that are on my race calendar are postponed or on hold.  One had the registration Deadline on Saturday and another had its registration deadline this Friday.  I was waiting until the last minute to register.  I cost me a little more but signing up for one race that I ended up not being able to attend costs more than doing last-minute registration for 5-10 races so it looks like waiting this year worked to my advantage.  I am setting new training goals because I am assuming that at least half of the races will not get rescheduled or take place.  I have my own TT course that I have used several times in training and may do a bunch on TT's on my homemade course in place of races over the coming weeks and months.

2020-03-17 2:09 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hate to say it, but...we stocked up about 3-4 weeks ago.

I have been taught my whole life to keep a food storage.  About 10 years ago we had a really bad ice storm that knocked the entire city out of power for 3-8 days.  The shelf of the store was empty in 24 hours and people were freaking out.  Being a guy I hate shoping so when I was single I would only got to the store every 3-4 weeks to stock up for another month.  The idea of people not being able to make it 3-8 days without supplied from the store shocked me.  We are well stocked now.  We are getting a dozen eggs a day from the chickens, we have a meet locker full of chicken, turkey, gooses, and duck that we raised and processed last fall, we had one of our goat's kid last week so we are getting goat milk, and the second should kid any day.  We have flour, sugar, baking powder, whole grains, etc.  We should be able to hold out for a few months.  II have been camping before so I know that their are other options is we run out of TP and wet wipes.

I am not currently signed up for any races.  Three that are on my race calendar are postponed or on hold.  One had the registration Deadline on Saturday and another had its registration deadline this Friday.  I was waiting until the last minute to register.  I cost me a little more but signing up for one race that I ended up not being able to attend costs more than doing last-minute registration for 5-10 races so it looks like waiting this year worked to my advantage.  I am setting new training goals because I am assuming that at least half of the races will not get rescheduled or take place.  I have my own TT course that I have used several times in training and may do a bunch on TT's on my homemade course in place of races over the coming weeks and months.

it is hard for those in cities and apartments to do this kind of prep..We have some: our pantry and freezer is full and my canning over the summer helps a lot
2020-03-17 2:30 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
I was supposed to run a 5k at the end of April and it was cancelled. It is a fundraiser/memorial for fallen police officers who attended Ferris State University, put on by Daughter #3's criminal justice fraternity. The funny thing is she convinces me to sponsor it every year, but then something happens, so I don't get to run it. I am putting together a nice collection of shirts from this race without every running it. She has one last chance next year.
2020-03-17 4:13 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

May I offer a break in the crazy news and show a pic of my new bike? 

She needs a name, but for now, meet Miss Argon. She's a matte black and so pretty. So mysterious. So stealth. Cheers to a bright spot in this weird, crazy time we're in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127