BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-17 4:40 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by lisac957

May I offer a break in the crazy news and show a pic of my new bike? 

She needs a name, but for now, meet Miss Argon. She's a matte black and so pretty. So mysterious. So stealth. Cheers to a bright spot in this weird, crazy time we're in.

Beauty!

2020-03-17 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

She needs a name, but for now, meet Miss Argon. She's a matte black and so pretty. So mysterious. So stealth. Cheers to a bright spot in this weird, crazy time we're in.

Sweet!

2020-03-17 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What a beauty! 

2020-03-17 5:43 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Santa Rosa 70.3 and Victoria 70.3 were both postponed.  Both were originally May events -- May 9 and May 31 respectively.

2020-03-17 5:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Santa Rosa 70.3 and Victoria 70.3 were both postponed.  Both were originally May events -- May 9 and May 31 respectively.

well, that doesn’t bode well for Chattanooga! Though TN is not as much as a hot spot ....yet.

2020-03-17 5:45 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

WOO HOO!! NEW BIKE DAY!!!

I know a bunch of you guys like sufferfest - altred just emailed me a 30 day code to help with the self quarantine!
ALTREDSUF30

Hope everyone is healthy.

Oh and the IRS did extend the deadline to pay. No real details but I'm assuming you can just file an extension and then file the whole return by July with no interest or penalties.

2020-03-17 5:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

well, that doesn’t bode well for Chattanooga! Though TN is not as much as a hot spot ....yet.

I agree, it does not bode well. Especially this part: Updates will be posted for affected races on Facebook.com/IRONMANtri and here on this page. More updates forthcoming.

I'm with you on the calling it sooner rather than later though.

They have not called Florida 70.3  or St. George or Chattanooga 70.3 or CT 70.3.  That brings us to May 31.

2020-03-17 5:50 PM

Swim questions:

1. If your (small) gym was still open, would you go to swim laps? Having a huge internal dilemma right now.
  2. Can I simply use regular resistance bands, or do I need to order specially-designated dryland/swim cords?

The last day of my pool being open was Sunday, so I went and got in a final swim. I think the pool itself is fine. I think the locker room I'd avoid if possible. Wear your suit under clothes and keep everything poolside. Getting out and back to home/office may be trickier if you have to get out of the suit without the locker room, but if that's doable or you can wear the suit home under other clothes, I'd still go.

The interesting thing is that ours here is a community pool complex with diving boards, huge waterslide for kids, kids pool, etc., plus the 3 lap lanes. I figured with it being the last day open that it would be packed, easily 150+ people. There were only about 20 people there. So if you can get there, maybe everyone else will be thinking what you're thinking and not go, and you might be alone.
2020-03-17 5:51 PM

Great looking bike!!!!
2020-03-17 9:42 PM

User image

Expert

Great bike.
I'll throw this out the single seat twin engine stealth fighter is the F-117 Nighthawk. If it were mine I would call it the Nighthawk. I am also having a debate on if that sounds like something Will Farrell would have said in Step Brothers.
2020-03-18 4:36 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

What a beauty! 

Gorgeous bike, congratulations!

2020-03-18 4:38 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by melbo55

As of yesterday PA joined the shutdown club.  All non-essential businesses are closed of course including rec centers, entertainment venues, restaurants only open for take out/delivery, etc. etc.  but also hair salons and barbershops.  Coincidentally, I have a haircut scheduled this week.  I guess I will just be a shaggy dog until the ban is lifted.  I'm picturing me looking like Rip Van Winkle, sans beard.  LOL!  I have doubts that I'll be able to get it cut any time soon. 

Thanks for the swim cord links, Janyne.  They will be helpful.

Yikes, I rescheduled a hair appointment (was supposed to be on Tuesday the 17th). Maybe I should have kept the appointment. I'm sure hair salons will be shutting down.
2020-03-18 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Wow, nice ride!

2020-03-18 8:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That is one mighty fine looking bike, and fast, too!  Congrats on the new ride.  May you share many, many happy miles together!

2020-03-18 11:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hate to say it, but...we stocked up about 3-4 weeks ago.

I have been taught my whole life to keep a food storage.  

it is hard for those in cities and apartments to do this kind of prep..We have some: our pantry and freezer is full and my canning over the summer helps a lot

The pantry, freezer, and canning is more than what most have you won't freak out in 3-8 days like some people will.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-03-18 11:22 AM
2020-03-18 11:21 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have never been good at naming my bike.   I know that naming your sword and naming your horse was a big thing in the days of knights and crusades but if my sword didn't come with a name and a legacy then Christening it wouldn't mean anything.  I do look at my race bike as a teammate though.  I give it my best, but if the bike isn't at the top of the game it will make me look bad and if it is at the top of the game it will make me look better than I really am.  So, I have a relationship with the bike. When it is dialed in we move together and work in tandem.  We communicate without words though so no spoken names are required for us to understand each other. 

What type of bike names do you like?  People names, non-sence names, warrior names, hero names, descriptive names, other?  I tend to look towards warrior names.  Rowen, Zina, Athena, type names.  Is your bike looking for a masculine name, a feminine name, or a gender-neutral name?       

2020-03-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What type of bike names do you like?  People names, non-sence names, warrior names, hero names, descriptive names, other?  I tend to look towards warrior names.  Rowen, Zina, Athena, type names.  Is your bike looking for a masculine name, a feminine name, or a gender-neutral name?       

I kind of like FUNNY names 
My last bike had one of those integrated tool boxes on the back, and the top kept popping off. Long story short, I ended up securing it with duct tape, but not just any duct tape - JUSTIN BIEBER duct tape haha! It was the only thing available at the time, it was a bit of an emergency, and I thought it was hilarious. As a result, I called that bike "THE BIEBS" in honor of the Justin Bieber duct tape. It made me smile.

2020-03-18 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I kind of like FUNNY names 
My last bike had one of those integrated tool boxes on the back, and the top kept popping off. Long story short, I ended up securing it with duct tape, but not just any duct tape - JUSTIN BIEBER duct tape haha! It was the only thing available at the time, it was a bit of an emergency, and I thought it was hilarious. As a result, I called that bike "THE BIEBS" in honor of the Justin Bieber duct tape. It made me smile.

Maybe something that pairs with your other bike?? mine are pongo and perdita like in 101 Dalmatians - since they are blue and red (well, black, white and red).

Or what about something Iron man related like Tony Stark, Pepper Potts? I am not the hugest Avengers fan ... so go with my limited lingo here ... 

2020-03-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TRX Pro Tip

If you have a TRX or a TRX alternative, this might be useful for the next few months.

---

We are making the TRX app FREE to everyone for 3 months ?

1. Go to TRXStart.com
  2. Create a profile and use the code YUPVKVHVRW
  3. Download the TRX App in the App Store or Google Play
  4. Use login information from the profile you created on TRXStart.com.

Meditation Pro Tip

Headspace is now offering a portion of their paid guided meditations for free. If you love meditation or have never tried it before, now is a great time to check it out. Please share this broadly with your team or department.

Follow this link (https://www.headspace.com/covid-19) to access their "weathering the storm" playlist to help get us through this trying time.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-18 1:58 PM
2020-03-18 6:38 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I grew up watching Lone Ranger re-runs. My road bike is named Silver, because it is. My trail bike is Cannondale neon green and is named The Hulk. I refer to myself as The Bulk.
2020-03-18 6:52 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

I thought I would check in with y'all! I just got myself caught up with the posts I've missed. 

I've been MIA, as my wife and I had a vacation planned for this week, but thanks to the pandemic, we had to cut it short and drive back home. Whereas most of Wyoming schools are closed for at least a couple of weeks, my district (and employer) school board and superintendent are wringing their hands, trying to find a reason to REMAIN OPEN. This week (3/16-3/20) is spring break and my director has stated that all key cards have been deactivated until further notice. If we do close the doors here, I will probably be working remotely from home. Honestly, working from home is very do-able for me. Since teachers and students wouldn't be in the buildings, my work load will probably be light; a good opportunity for some professional development videos.

Good news is that the six days I was away from home, I only gained 1 lbs! I was really expecting to gain a lot, as we were on the road for 4.5 days, including a stay in Vegas for two nights. 

As for the training front, the city rec center is closed, so I will not be doing any swimming in the near future. Luckily I do have the bike and trainer set up in my home office, so I will be trying to make up with more saddle time. 

2020-03-18 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice looking ride! Congratulations, I hope you and Miss Argon have many miles and smiles together. As for a name, each bike is different and should be treated as such. Also, the name needs to be fitting, so take some time. I have named all but one of my bikes, and the one I haven't named is my tri bike. I have spent quite a bit of time on it, but it never really struck me with a name, so it is still without a moniker.

2020-03-19 7:25 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I thought I would check in with y'all! I just got myself caught up with the posts I've missed. 

I've been MIA, as my wife and I had a vacation planned for this week, but thanks to the pandemic, we had to cut it short and drive back home. Whereas most of Wyoming schools are closed for at least a couple of weeks, my district (and employer) school board and superintendent are wringing their hands, trying to find a reason to REMAIN OPEN. This week (3/16-3/20) is spring break and my director has stated that all key cards have been deactivated until further notice. If we do close the doors here, I will probably be working remotely from home. Honestly, working from home is very do-able for me. Since teachers and students wouldn't be in the buildings, my work load will probably be light; a good opportunity for some professional development videos.

Good news is that the six days I was away from home, I only gained 1 lbs! I was really expecting to gain a lot, as we were on the road for 4.5 days, including a stay in Vegas for two nights. 

As for the training front, the city rec center is closed, so I will not be doing any swimming in the near future. Luckily I do have the bike and trainer set up in my home office, so I will be trying to make up with more saddle time. 

Thanks for checking in.

I'm really sorry to hear about your vacation but I'm glad that you are safe. Fingers crossed that the working from home thing goes smoothly.

2020-03-19 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
For those of you who are on Slowtwitch (and those who are not!), they are having a virtual tri/duathlon that might help add some meaning to workouts in the coming days.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...
2020-03-19 8:35 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
I started using heat to heat my bruised ribs, because I am going crazy not being able to run, and the internet said to do it ( actually I usually turn to Cleveland Clinic for on line medical advice). I was wondering if anyone has ever used heat on a bone bruise and if it helped speed healing. It makes sense to my non-medical brain because of the increase in blood flow to the area and thus speeds healing.

Right now I can do leg exercises that don't engage my core and ride my bike. I can't get into the aero position and if I start rocking, well that just hurt. Anything with speed really hurts right now, so I'm doing The Sufferfest climbing and endurance videos. No racing or sprinting videos.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127