BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-19 10:15 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer

It sounds like a new North American Ironman is coming next year

The four host city finalists are:

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

https://whotv.com/2019/04/18/des-moines-chosen-as-finalist-for-new-ironman-triathlon/?fbclid=IwAR2IFYpKfBSMjDF31jdfp_pp1JyXlEFGDVO-Z_ZQNKkffpJN_Fl1rVDbvlE

I have a cousin who lives in Tulsa. She is hoping they get picked, so I will come there to race. When did Ironman become a family obligation. HaHa.

I think I would have the same issue in Des Moines.

I'm actually rooting for Memphis, mostly because it is on my short list for possible moving locations...

I think my IM days are over, but if not, Memphis is the only one of the 4 I'd be interesting in as it is arguably within driving distance

2019-04-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

https://whotv.com/2019/04/18/des-moines-chosen-as-finalist-for-new-ironman-triathlon/?fbclid=IwAR2IFYpKfBSMjDF31jdfp_pp1JyXlEFGDVO-Z_ZQNKkffpJN_Fl1rVDbvlE

I have a cousin who lives in Tulsa. She is hoping they get picked, so I will come there to race. When did Ironman become a family obligation. HaHa.

I'm actually rooting for Memphis, mostly because it is on my short list for possible moving locations...

I think my IM days are over, but if not, Memphis is the only one of the 4 I'd be interesting in as it is arguably within driving distance

At this time, none of these locations float to the top of my list. That could change as details emerge.

2019-04-19 10:55 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 20-21
Adam - Beaverdam Oly on Saturday (maybe)
Lisa - WalkMS

Is anyone else racing?

2019-04-19 1:15 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

April 20-21
Lisa - WalkMS

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, racing manatees!  Have fun and be speedy!

2019-04-19 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Good Luck Races!
2019-04-19 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 20-21
Lisa - WalkMS

Is anyone else racing?

have fun Adam ( maybe) and Lisa!

2019-04-19 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 20-21
Lisa - WalkMS

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Adam and Lisa
2019-04-21 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Originally posted by fortissimo Is it Friday yet? Or better yet, May 28th? Monday our week started with a police standoff a few houses away from school. We had police with their AR 15s greeting kids at the door. Tuesday an hour before school gets out, I had one boy ask if he can answer his phone call from his mom. I always let them because if I don't they're only thinking about the phone. Few minutes later he asks, "Miss, my mom says my bus has been cancelled." I tell him not to worry because they probably had to cancel that us but will have another. 5 minutes later, I get a call to have another student leave for dismissal. He is very confused about why. We start playing again. There is an announcement that we can't hear because we're playing. So I call the office and no one answers. I call another office and no one answers. I send a kids to the office to ask - he comes back and says there's about 30 parents trying to pick up kids. I peek into the hall and see a few other teachers standing outside their classrooms. I look down towards the office and see a huge crowd of parents. One of the other teachers comes over and shows me his phone - the FBI, Colorado Department of Safety, and the Dept. of Ed have sent tweet saying that all schools should go on lockout and do controlled releases. There was a credible threat to the safety of all students at all schools. So, I had my kids put away their instruments. Our district decided to do a controlled release, meaning all kids had to be picked up by their parents or someone on their emergency contact. Probably half of the parents had already heard because of the news, social media, or the reverse call from the school. We had students call their parents to have them pick them up. Most parents were thankful. Others were down right horrible. Yes there was a long line to check their child out, but when you have 650 kids in a school and we have to check every ID and match it to the contact log, it's going to take a bit. Sorry you had to wait for your child for 30 minutes but that's the way it goes. Did I mention the last few kids weren't picked up until 8:30 last night? Those parents were not very happy. One had to leave work and two others were watching the Nuggets game. At home. On TV. Not at the Pepsi Center. Not kidding. At midnight we got the call that all school districts in Denver up to through the Wyoming border had cancelled school for today. The threat is over as the girl was found with a self-inflicted gun shot wound so we return to normal tomorrow. Whatever normal may be.

Oh my gosh! WHAT A WEEK!

I swear, it must've been nationwide!!!

On Friday I was rolling towards school at 6:15 a.m. and that full moon stood out like a beacon. I had a gut feeling...

We had a lockdown drill in the morning for a situation with a student and then in the afternoon, storms rolled through, we went under a tornado watch, then had to evacuate classrooms into the hallway and assume the 'kiss your a$$ goodbye tornado position' for 20 minute (a tornado was seen, but didn't actually touch down, 2 miles from school). While there, EVERYONE'S cell phone sends out the Tornado Watch alert, so we've got phones pinging and vibrating and shouting out at us that the threat is real and that this is NOT a drill. Three girls in my 5th period class (who were with me at the time) went into full blown panic attacks, so I'm crawling on the ground between them, trying to let them know we'd be okay, while still trying to keep my own self safe.

At least my stress was because of mother nature and not because of some lunatic (well, except for the irate 12 year-old that put is on lockdown).

Edited by glfprncs 2019-04-21 7:50 AM
2019-04-21 4:17 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by fortissimo Is it Friday yet? Or better yet, May 28th? Monday our week started with a police standoff a few houses away from school. We had police with their AR 15s greeting kids at the door. Tuesday an hour before school gets out, I had one boy ask if he can answer his phone call from his mom. I always let them because if I don't they're only thinking about the phone. Few minutes later he asks, "Miss, my mom says my bus has been cancelled." I tell him not to worry because they probably had to cancel that us but will have another. 5 minutes later, I get a call to have another student leave for dismissal. He is very confused about why. We start playing again. There is an announcement that we can't hear because we're playing. So I call the office and no one answers. I call another office and no one answers. I send a kids to the office to ask - he comes back and says there's about 30 parents trying to pick up kids. I peek into the hall and see a few other teachers standing outside their classrooms. I look down towards the office and see a huge crowd of parents. One of the other teachers comes over and shows me his phone - the FBI, Colorado Department of Safety, and the Dept. of Ed have sent tweet saying that all schools should go on lockout and do controlled releases. There was a credible threat to the safety of all students at all schools. So, I had my kids put away their instruments. Our district decided to do a controlled release, meaning all kids had to be picked up by their parents or someone on their emergency contact. Probably half of the parents had already heard because of the news, social media, or the reverse call from the school. We had students call their parents to have them pick them up. Most parents were thankful. Others were down right horrible. Yes there was a long line to check their child out, but when you have 650 kids in a school and we have to check every ID and match it to the contact log, it's going to take a bit. Sorry you had to wait for your child for 30 minutes but that's the way it goes. Did I mention the last few kids weren't picked up until 8:30 last night? Those parents were not very happy. One had to leave work and two others were watching the Nuggets game. At home. On TV. Not at the Pepsi Center. Not kidding. At midnight we got the call that all school districts in Denver up to through the Wyoming border had cancelled school for today. The threat is over as the girl was found with a self-inflicted gun shot wound so we return to normal tomorrow. Whatever normal may be.

Oh my gosh! WHAT A WEEK!

I swear, it must've been nationwide!!!On Friday I was rolling towards school at 6:15 a.m. and that full moon stood out like a beacon. I had a gut feeling...We had a lockdown drill in the morning for a situation with a student and then in the afternoon, storms rolled through, we went under a tornado watch, then had to evacuate classrooms into the hallway and assume the 'kiss your a$$ goodbye tornado position' for 20 minute (a tornado was seen, but didn't actually touch down, 2 miles from school). While there, EVERYONE'S cell phone sends out the Tornado Watch alert, so we've got phones pinging and vibrating and shouting out at us that the threat is real and that this is NOT a drill. Three girls in my 5th period class (who were with me at the time) went into full blown panic attacks, so I'm crawling on the ground between them, trying to let them know we'd be okay, while still trying to keep my own self safe. At least my stress was because of mother nature and not because of some lunatic (well, except for the irate 12 year-old that put is on lockdown).
you. Are. A. Warrior.
2019-04-22 8:49 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs

Oh my gosh! WHAT A WEEK!

I swear, it must've been nationwide!!! On Friday I was rolling towards school at 6:15 a.m. and that full moon stood out like a beacon. I had a gut feeling... We had a lockdown drill in the morning for a situation with a student and then in the afternoon, storms rolled through, we went under a tornado watch, then had to evacuate classrooms into the hallway and assume the 'kiss your a$$ goodbye tornado position' for 20 minute (a tornado was seen, but didn't actually touch down, 2 miles from school). While there, EVERYONE'S cell phone sends out the Tornado Watch alert, so we've got phones pinging and vibrating and shouting out at us that the threat is real and that this is NOT a drill. Three girls in my 5th period class (who were with me at the time) went into full blown panic attacks, so I'm crawling on the ground between them, trying to let them know we'd be okay, while still trying to keep my own self safe. At least my stress was because of mother nature and not because of some lunatic (well, except for the irate 12 year-old that put is on lockdown).

Wow, scary stuff!  I'm glad none of it came it be a full-on, real situation, although the tornado warning was close!  Glad you are safe.

2019-04-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Oh my, that is horrifying... I am glad everything ended up ..sort of.. well, and nobody got hurt.
It must've been frustrating for everyone, parents, educators, and the kids.

2019-04-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

April 20-21
Lisa - WalkMS

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Adam and Lisa

Oh yay! Didn't realize I was listed for racing over the weekend 
Wasn't a race by any means, but I certainly got bundled up and was on my feet for many miles and many hours - it was 42 degrees and raining, so nasty out. One of my best friends has MS so I went to support her at our local walk. Details in my blog if anyone's interested.

2019-04-22 2:28 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

At this time, none of these locations float to the top of my list. That could change as details emerge.

Wonder if Memphis would cancel Choo?!
2019-04-22 6:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

April 20-21
Lisa - WalkMS

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Adam and Lisa

Oh yay! Didn't realize I was listed for racing over the weekend 
Wasn't a race by any means, but I certainly got bundled up and was on my feet for many miles and many hours - it was 42 degrees and raining, so nasty out. One of my best friends has MS so I went to support her at our local walk. Details in my blog if anyone's interested.

And I ended up deferring my race. Too bad as I really enjoy that one, but I'm still hacking up a lung now and then (especially at night). I'm debating whether to get in one more long ride before my HIM in < 2 weeks or just stick with the plan which calls for a taper (even though I've been "aggressively tapering" for almost 2 weeks now.
2019-04-22 8:28 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you are still hacking up lungs, I would taper. Coughing probably counts as training stress, anyway!
2019-04-22 9:58 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerIf you are still hacking up lungs, I would taper. Coughing probably counts as training stress, anyway![/QUOTEi agree on all points.

2019-04-23 12:52 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Fun fact: Pennsylvania's new official amphibian is the 2 foot long salamander called the Eastern hellbender, a nocturnal animal whose colorful nicknames include snot otter, lasagna lizard and mud devil.  It is the largest salamander in North America.  (paraphrased from LancasterOnline).  Snot otter! ha ha ha ha ha

2019-04-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Fun fact: Pennsylvania's new official amphibian is the 2 foot long salamander called the Eastern hellbender, a nocturnal animal whose colorful nicknames include snot otter, lasagna lizard and mud devil.  It is the largest salamander in North America.  (paraphrased from LancasterOnline).  Snot otter! ha ha ha ha ha

Are you proposing that we change the name of our pod?

2019-04-23 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe I should change my username to Lasagna Lizard. I like Italian food and am very cold-blooded!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-23 1:04 PM
2019-04-23 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Okay, that's it, I'm about ready to throw my Speedplays in the trash!

I have the Ultra Light Action, and I can clip OUT of them just fine. Clipping in? Holy moly. It just doesn't happen! Even when on the trainer, standing with the cleat lined up over the pedal, with all my weight on it, I can't clip in. I have to slam my foot down super hard, and then it will eventually engage. So frustrating.
I've cleaned them, lubed them, made sure the shims have everything level, etc. Anyone else have this issue? I think I've whined a bit about this to the pod before, but I kept on trying to love them. I really do like how much float they give my knee, and how easy they are to clip out of. Still....its kind of a deal breaker to not actually be able to start riding.
2019-04-23 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Okay, that's it, I'm about ready to throw my Speedplays in the trash! I have the Ultra Light Action, and I can clip OUT of them just fine. Clipping in? Holy moly. It just doesn't happen! Even when on the trainer, standing with the cleat lined up over the pedal, with all my weight on it, I can't clip in. I have to slam my foot down super hard, and then it will eventually engage. So frustrating. I've cleaned them, lubed them, made sure the shims have everything level, etc. Anyone else have this issue? I think I've whined a bit about this to the pod before, but I kept on trying to love them. I really do like how much float they give my knee, and how easy they are to clip out of. Still....its kind of a deal breaker to not actually be able to start riding.

I'm sorry to hear this :-( Bike gear is too expensive to throw out! I don't have Speedplays biut I'll be there are some screws to adjust somewhere. Have you talked to your LBS about this?

See the comments in this link. -- " too much torque on the outer plate"

Edited by jmkizer 2019-04-23 2:47 PM

2019-04-23 2:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma

Wonder if Memphis would cancel Choo?!

Doubtful. It's sold well in the past. Also, they are looking to add another spring event -- which is not to say that they won't do the stoopid backwards calendar thing that they did in Boulder and Santa Rosa!

"Des Moines is one of four finalists to hold a new IRONMAN triathlon starting in late spring/early summer of 2020."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2019/04/23/mile-posts-items-ironman-triathlon-dm-nathan-mylenek-erik-sowinski-matt-manternach-taylor-arco-edwin-kurgat-kelly-naumann-lyndsie-schinkel-jason-thomas-lindsay-crevoiserat/39383569/

2019-04-23 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Are you proposing that we change the name of our pod?

All fun names, actually! Given the crowd maybe snot otter? 

No? Just me? 

2019-04-23 3:57 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by Atlantia Okay, that's it, I'm about ready to throw my Speedplays in the trash! I have the Ultra Light Action, and I can clip OUT of them just fine. Clipping in? Holy moly. It just doesn't happen! Even when on the trainer, standing with the cleat lined up over the pedal, with all my weight on it, I can't clip in. I have to slam my foot down super hard, and then it will eventually engage. So frustrating. I've cleaned them, lubed them, made sure the shims have everything level, etc. Anyone else have this issue? I think I've whined a bit about this to the pod before, but I kept on trying to love them. I really do like how much float they give my knee, and how easy they are to clip out of. Still....its kind of a deal breaker to not actually be able to start riding.

I'm sorry to hear this :-( Bike gear is too expensive to throw out! I don't have Speedplays biut I'll be there are some screws to adjust somewhere. Have you talked to your LBS about this?

See the comments in this link. -- " too much torque on the outer plate"

I have speedplays as well. Mine are pretty beat up and I'm missing a screw or two, but they are hanging in there. When I had the same issue in the past, I loosened the mounting screws which lessened the tension and made them significantly easier to clip in. I wish they had separate screws for mounting the cleat to the shoe and adjusting tension but they appear to be one and the same. You've probably tried that already, but that's been my experience.

Also, we had "mud devils" where I grew up. Sometimes people would catch them while fishing. They were notoriously hard to kill and extremely creepy looking.
2019-04-23 3:59 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

If you are still hacking up lungs, I would taper. Coughing probably counts as training stress, anyway!

Thanks for the advice! I'm taking it and just picking up the normal program. I'd rather show up healthy but possibly under-trained than exhausted from overdoing it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107