BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-18 6:25 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IronOx

A while back, a few people were tossing around the idea of a Manatee Zoom session.  How would people feel about setting one or two standing meetings that people can drop in on. Maybe 11:30am until noon eastern each Monday for starters? Is there any interest?

If people would find this helpful/useful, I'd be happy to set it up. If everyone is sick of video calls, I totally get it!

Kinda early for us west-coasters , but I would love to pop in for this!

I recognize that.  I thought we could add a "west coast" time that people in the mountain and pacific time zones could propose.

I was actually kidding.  I have gotten used to not getting up to an alarm to train at 6am .  Roll outta bed at 8am and 'commute' to my desk!

2020-04-18 6:26 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by abake Happy Saturday, Manatees! I'm finding that the days somewhat blur together and weekends don't have the significance they held prior to the pandemic.

I feel ya! A neighbor has a mannequin  sitting in a lawn chair on her front lawn. It has props and holds up signs, most reminding us the day of the week! It's both funny and needed.

This is awesome.

2020-04-18 6:31 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Our Provincial Health Officer said today that large group activities will not be happening this summer, so I think that likely puts the lid on IMC. Not official yet, but certainly won't be surprising when it does get rescheduled. Finding it tough to stay motivated to train, but also not liking the silhouette I am seeing in the sunshine.... And in case anyone was wondering...swim cords workouts are NOT fun. Have a great weekend!

2020-04-18 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Our Provincial Health Officer said today that large group activities will not be happening this summer, so I think that likely puts the lid on IMC. Not official yet, but certainly won't be surprising when it does get rescheduled. Finding it tough to stay motivated to train, but also not liking the silhouette I am seeing in the sunshine.... And in case anyone was wondering...swim cords workouts are NOT fun. Have a great weekend!

Sorry, you joined the no race group! my silhouette is none too pretty, so i feel ya!

2020-04-18 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I second you on the swim cords. They're especially awful if one was in poor swim shape to begin with. (I had just gotten back into the pool and started to regain swim fitness after getting all the screws out of my elbow at the end of last year.) Very hard on the shoulders and elbows. I have taken to doing "dryland swimming" while holding cans of tomatoes. It seems to be a bit less hard on the joints while still exercising the swim muscles, and lends itself to more natural form. But really zero fun. I am finding it very hard to stay motivated, too. This is year two of (I'm assuming at this point) no races for me. And from what they're saying about vaccine development, and the general lack of organization/leadership here in relation to the pandemic, thinking even 2021 may be a wash.
2020-04-19 6:03 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

And from what they're saying about vaccine development, and the general lack of organization/leadership here in relation to the pandemic, thinking even 2021 may be a wash.

I agree, At least through June next year

2020-04-19 6:48 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
I have some COVID-19 frustration. Our State, like many has a shelter in place order coupled with a don't go Up North to your cabin order. Very simply we don't have the facilities for a breakout here. The hospital has 56 beds and 5 vents. All these yahoos ignored the order, came up anyways and boom the number of positive test results in our county tripled!
I'm emotionally in a place where even if there are races this year, I'm not sure I will race.
2020-04-19 7:08 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JBacarellaI have some COVID-19 frustration. Our State, like many has a shelter in place order coupled with a don't go Up North to your cabin order. Very simply we don't have the facilities for a breakout here. The hospital has 56 beds and 5 vents. All these yahoos ignored the order, came up anyways and boom the number of positive test results in our county tripled! I'm emotionally in a place where even if there are races this year, I'm not sure I will race.
Ugh, Covidiots!! It’s one thing if a person doesn’t care about getting sick, but another thing when your actions endanger others and overwhelm our hospitals, putting everyone there at risk too! It doesn’t help when our President tweets encouragement for that behavior.
2020-04-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh my gosh, I just clicked on the live video of the shutdown protesters taking place right now in Harrisburg and I literally feel sick to my stomach.  People are standing in huge crowds shoulder to shoulder, maskless, listening to some clown on a loudspeaker, chanting along with all the negative things he is spouting.  Hundreds and hundreds lining the sidewalks, gathering in a huge mass in front of what I'd guess is the capitol building, I can't quite see.  The comments are also sickening.  These people do not represent me or my thoughts or feelings and are making PA look like a bunch of idiots.  I get the free speech and all, but I can only imagine how cases will spike after this madness.  Sickening and scary.

Future tip to the manatees:  if your state plans on holding protests, don't watch.

Edited by melbo55 2020-04-20 11:28 AM
2020-04-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by abake Happy Saturday, Manatees! I'm finding that the days somewhat blur together and weekends don't have the significance they held prior to the pandemic.

I feel ya! A neighbor has a mannequin  sitting in a lawn chair on her front lawn. It has props and holds up signs, most reminding us the day of the week! It's both funny and needed.

That's a fun and funny idea!

2020-04-20 12:30 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Oh my gosh, I just clicked on the live video of the shutdown protesters taking place right now in Harrisburg and I literally feel sick to my stomach.  People are standing in huge crowds shoulder to shoulder, maskless, listening to some clown on a loudspeaker, chanting along with all the negative things he is spouting.  Hundreds and hundreds lining the sidewalks, gathering in a huge mass in front of what I'd guess is the capitol building, I can't quite see.  The comments are also sickening.  These people do not represent me or my thoughts or feelings and are making PA look like a bunch of idiots.  I get the free speech and all, but I can only imagine how cases will spike after this madness.  Sickening and scary.

Future tip to the manatees:  if your state plans on holding protests, don't watch.

The protestors say things like "I'll accept the consequences if I get sick."  What about if you get someone like my mom who is undergoing cancer treatment sick? What about if you get the a doctor or nurse sick?

We're all frustrated with the lock down. Most of us understand that it's for the greater good. And if you open your non-essential business and no one shows up, what exactly have you accomplished?

2020-04-20 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Monday meetup URL is https://bit.ly/RacingManatee.

PW = manatee (all lower case)

I've put the link at the top of my training blog as well for future reference.  This should work for both the Monday at 11:30 eastern time slot and whatever other time that we pick that may be more west coast-friendly.

Thanks for the meet up today! I'll see you again next Monday!

2020-04-20 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In addition to the study that Ann-Marie posted (still not sure that my Google Fit stuff is actually going to the study), I'm participating in a Duke study - CovIdentify.  Feel free to sign up. It's super easy.

2020-04-20 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

In addition to the study that Ann-Marie posted (still not sure that my Google Fit stuff is actually going to the study), I'm participating in a Duke study - CovIdentify.  Feel free to sign up. It's super easy.

signed up, but I don’t know how valuable it will be since it linked to Garmin and use an Apple Watch during the day! Oh well, between this study and the other maybe I’m helping!

2020-04-20 2:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I've put the link at the top of my training blog as well for future reference.  This should work for both the Monday at 11:30 eastern time slot and whatever other time that we pick that may be more west coast-friendly.

Yes, it was fun to communicate with some 'new' people and was a nice respite form the day.  Thanks for organizing!

Edited by melbo55 2020-04-20 2:52 PM
2020-04-20 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thank you all. I'll get my devices in order before ext week!

2020-04-20 7:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

I thought of you as soon as I saw this. Urgh.

My governor is promoting the use of this app https://howwefeel.org/
You check in every day by zip code and age and it reports where suspected cases are for tracking. Seems like the best system we have so far so I'm in. Anything I can do to help get us back to "normal!"
2020-04-21 1:05 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

Ugh... I am sorry I missed it! Will definitely join next Monday!
2020-04-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by cdban66

Ugh... I am sorry I missed it! Will definitely join next Monday!

We'll be there!

2020-04-22 1:41 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Checking in.  I have got behind on the Manatees forum and haven't posted here for a while but appreciate all the kudos and comments from the group on Strava and I have continued to post in Triathlon Talk on the workout threads (although I have been less active there too).

I have helped put in two gardens and two fences in the past few weeks and spend a ton of time trying to figure out these virtual and online races.  I am not loving the virtual races.  It doesn't appear that any of them use any type of grade adjustments, altitude adjustments, temperature adjustments, etc to level the playing field so they are kind of meaningless.  I saw a guy from the former coaching group that I was in do a 50 minute 40K for one of these virtual races. I could probably do that if I had a 2% downhill grade the whole but as I did a 1:17:00 40K when I did my outdoor TT Duathlon a month ago on washboard roads going over the biggest climbs you can find in my area.    The captain of my race team proposed that we all sign up for the 14-day trial of the Rouvy in-door bike app.  I was excited to see that the app would work with ANT+ on the iOS devices so I jumped in.  We did a 56-mile virtual team ride on the App on Saturday along with a Zoom call for the whole ride.  The team Captain is a Pro Triathlete and even though I know it wasn't a race it was inspiring to be able to keep up with him on the entire ride.  

I was inspired by the virtual team ride so I explored more into Rouvy and decided to set up a on-line race to use for the bike portion of one of virtual race which I signed up to see how things work.  I didn't know who would join me but was happy to see that we had 5 people registered for the 5:45 AM race on Tuesday before I went to bed on Monday.   We raced on the USAT Age Group National Championship Sprint course.  I was planning on doing the Olympic AG race this year which I am assuming won't happen now, but just in case I thought it would be good to know what the course looks like.  I placed 2nd in my first virtual race.  The on-line races are very addicting.  Since they are live and on an even playing field I could get into them.  I think the virtual races will be a no go for me though.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-04-22 1:44 PM
2020-04-22 6:34 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm really not interested in virtual races either. Our town is really hilly and any uncrowded route involves a ton of hills--just doesn't seem fair on a virtual course. The flat places without traffic are super-popular wood chip trails and MUP's. I think if all races are off this summer and my body cooperates, I will do my own marathon in August. It's not the route of an existing race, just a combination of all my favorite running routes here. Maybe if lakes are open I can combine it with an IM length timed swim, probably on a different day. Screw the bike for now--just not interested in a 112 mile solo ride, and I don't think Mom would be willing to be support crew for that either!

2020-04-22 7:12 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I think if all races are off this summer and my body cooperates, I will do my own marathon in August. It's not the route of an existing race, just a combination of all my favorite running routes here. 

This is pretty much what my sister is doing. She was registered for an early May half marathon and is continuing all of the training and will run her 13.1 miles on race day, just solo. 

For me, even though I'm extremely introverted and prefer to train solo, I 100% love the social and community aspect of racing. It's why I do all of this. So to take away the community aspect of races doesn't appeal to me, either. I like the idea of doing a solo race over 2 or 3 days if that's what it comes down to. We'll see. 

2020-04-22 10:59 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I love running solo but for safety reasons, don't like to bike alone unless it's in a pretty controlled situation. Too many concerns with having a breakdown or running into some creep in the middle of nowhere. (Once out of city limits, it gets very rural really fast. Even more so when I was in Idaho--some places just an hour or so out of Boise had no Google Map coverage or sometimes even cell reception.) A town about 20 miles down the road has a nice multi-use path in a rural area that is generally lightly used. Once it gets warmer, IF cases remain stable and minimal in our county, I might be able to get out there to ride once every week or two. I'd really been looking forward to some group rides to get out into the beautiful scenery around Eugene that I have missed so much, but it looks like maybe it's not meant to be this year, at least for the next few months and quite possibly much longer.

I have never liked running with other people, period. Even in a race, I just try to pass them and get into my own little bubble. Crazy, but hearing other people breathing makes me tired. (Can't stand gym treadmills!) Even traffic sounds annoy me, so I try to run in quiet places--trails, hilly residential neighborhoods, super-early morning in Asia. I haven't really changed my running habits at all, except for avoiding some trails at peak times. (More people out there now on weekdays/work hours.) Sometimes I am even a little annoyed that this is "Running Capital of the World"--just too many runners for comfort, now!

As for swimming, at this point I would be wildly excited to get into any body of water bigger than a bathtub.

And racing...after not racing all last year (first in my new AG), I'm going nuts. Plus I'm in good bike and run shape now. But nowhere to go!
2020-04-23 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Hi all! Just a quick POL post. I moved into my new house 7 April, but didn't get internet until yesterday. Family is healthy, we're getting settled, and all things considered all is well.
2020-04-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Checking in.  I have got behind on the Manatees forum and haven't posted here for a while but appreciate all the kudos and comments from the group on Strava and I have continued to post in Triathlon Talk on the workout threads (although I have been less active there too).

I have helped put in two gardens and two fences in the past few weeks and spend a ton of time trying to figure out these virtual and online races.  I am not loving the virtual races.  It doesn't appear that any of them use any type of grade adjustments, altitude adjustments, temperature adjustments, etc to level the playing field so they are kind of meaningless.  I saw a guy from the former coaching group that I was in do a 50 minute 40K for one of these virtual races. I could probably do that if I had a 2% downhill grade the whole but as I did a 1:17:00 40K when I did my outdoor TT Duathlon a month ago on washboard roads going over the biggest climbs you can find in my area.    The captain of my race team proposed that we all sign up for the 14-day trial of the Rouvy in-door bike app.  I was excited to see that the app would work with ANT+ on the iOS devices so I jumped in.  We did a 56-mile virtual team ride on the App on Saturday along with a Zoom call for the whole ride.  The team Captain is a Pro Triathlete and even though I know it wasn't a race it was inspiring to be able to keep up with him on the entire ride.  

I was inspired by the virtual team ride so I explored more into Rouvy and decided to set up a on-line race to use for the bike portion of one of virtual race which I signed up to see how things work.  I didn't know who would join me but was happy to see that we had 5 people registered for the 5:45 AM race on Tuesday before I went to bed on Monday.   We raced on the USAT Age Group National Championship Sprint course.  I was planning on doing the Olympic AG race this year which I am assuming won't happen now, but just in case I thought it would be good to know what the course looks like.  I placed 2nd in my first virtual race.  The on-line races are very addicting.  Since they are live and on an even playing field I could get into them.  I think the virtual races will be a no go for me though.

Nice! Congrats on finding an online training group to ride with!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127