BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-15 9:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Have to offer this for the general amusement. I got the link as part of a Northwest race newsletter. One of the filmmakers, (and the woman runner in the film) Alexi Pappas, trains most of the year in Eugene and will run for Greece in Rio. The guy is former Duck Andrew Wheating. Alexi and her partner (who, interestingly, is NOT Andrew Wheating), recently released a full-length film called "Tracktown" (set in Eugene) that premiered during the Trials.

The running trails featured are my old stomping grounds Pre's Trail (the "warmup" at the start) and Amazon (the interval workout). The part where Andrew makes "dinner" by dumping cold spaghetti sauce into a bowl of pasta, and Alexi crawls into bed still in her running clothes.....will have to admit they are embarrassingly close to the truth, not only for my life as a college runner, but, sometimes, now!

http://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000004517760/the-elite-runn...

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-07-15 9:58 PM

2016-07-16 5:01 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by fortissimo

So to change the subject a bit- how many calories per hour is everyone consuming while on the bike?

oh good - I'm interested too.

I take in about 230/hour of infinit on the bike and similar on the run.

I was thinking about switching to shot bloks this year for the run. I need to pick some up for testing - but I would MUCH rather a blok than a gel.

^^^This. I used Infinit last year and it worked great on training rides and runs, but not so well for races. Going to give the shot bloks a try
2016-07-16 5:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 16-17
Chris - Englewood Tri on Saturday
Adam - Triangle Triathlon on Saturday
Eric - Eagle Creek Triathlon on Saturday
Adrienne - Laugavegur Ultra Marathon 55K on Sunday
Stacey - Armadale Half Marathon on Sunday

July 16 is Darren's birthday

Safe and speedy races to all the manatees this weekend! I will be painting little kids' (and probably some adults) faces at a local kids' triathlon today.
2016-07-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake

Racing Manatees!!!

July 16-17

Safe and speedy races to all the manatees this weekend! I will be painting little kids' (and probably some adults) faces at a local kids' triathlon today.
I want face-painting pics!

2016-07-17 8:58 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

July 16-17

Good luck Chris, Adam, Eric and Salty. I'm not racing this weekend as I have to go to my niece's 4th birthday party instead HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARREN!!!

That is a worthy reason!

2016-07-17 1:34 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Master
Northern IL

Had some brake issues on my bike yesterday, so rode my brother's CX 1x instead. Ended up with ~80 miles which included a Cat 3 and a 4 plus some other short but steep southern Wisconsin hills with brief double digit grade sections all around. He thought gearing was 42 x 11/28, but turned out to be the 11/25 in the back. Speed range was ~6-45 mph. Works out to spinning at about 45-135 rpm (I kept up to just past 40). I have run a 54/42 the last 4-5 years, so this wasn't entirely new though.

Also interesting to see how much stronger I actually was on the climbs. The week before I couldn't match some Strava segments he had done down by me on another day in spite of me having more favorable weather conditions. I knew my road bike wasn't that great (unlike the tri bikes), but seeing the gaps was stunning. Our HR operate quite similar and I was dropping him in spite of his HR being 10-15 bpm higher than mine.

2016-07-17 3:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds like a group ride I did a few weeks ago. We were on a long climb and I passed one of the younger guys who is a lot faster than me on the flats. We both had Garmins with HR on and he asked what mine was. Mine was 146; his was 184. I guess this is why I am a good climber--there is a lot less of me to haul up the hill, so I don't have to work as hard. 178 is (I think) about my max on the 20-minute FTP test. If I hit 184 I am not sure I would make it to the top of the hill, much less the remaining 50 km of a 100 km ride. Ouch!
2016-07-17 4:38 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Well, it's kind of different here. We're about the same size with me actually being slightly bigger. I was on a different bike.

2016-07-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Cypress, Texas
What do you guys think of Jan Frodeno's performance today at Challenge Roth setting a new Ironman World record at 7:35.39? 3 guys under 8 hours today.

Blows my mind.
2016-07-17 9:47 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Expert
Rough weekend. Started out Friday night when my Dad was having some issues with coughing and wheezing, his feet and legs are swollen and he could not eat. I took him into the walk in clinic Saturday morning, the PA sent us to the hospital ER. After an X-Ray and some blood tests, the ER doc had him admitted into another hospital in their network, because of congestive heart failure.
The other hospital is 1 1/2 hours away, I got really late, so we decided to spend the night. There was a Jehovah's Witness Convention and there was not a hotel one line within an hour. My wife called Holiday Inn and the found a hotel room 20 minutes away. We got to the hotel, to find that Holiday Inn double booked the room. We called Holiday Inn and they could not find another room within an hour, so they gave us enough points to comp a room on another night or if we found something comparable, they would pay for it. We kept looking online, while I started to drive hospital, thinking we would either sleep in the hospital or in my truck (the hospital is in a sketchy neighborhood, actually one of the 10 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country), when a room at a Hampton Inn 5 minutes away came open, someone cancelled at the last minute. We booked the room, called to check it was for real, and Holiday Inn paid for it.
I spent today with my Dad and meeting with his medical team for his course of treatment. Dad will be in the hospital for the next 2-3 more days, so I will be driving down to be with him after work the rest of this week.
He is doing better, the fluid is being reduced and he is feeling better, although if you asked him Saturday morning, nothing was wrong with him and he didn't need to see a doctor. I am so thankful he is living with us now. If he was still living at his home, we would not have caught the problem.

2016-07-17 10:12 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas
So we went to a birthday party with the kids to one of those trampoline places and I majorly sprained my ankle (at least I hope it's strained). I completely bent my whole right foot side ways when I was stepping into a round off. I can walk on it, but it's been getting worse throughout the evening. Will see how it feels like in the morning

Good news is I already had an appointment with my Airrosti Doc for tomorrow anyways for my neck so I'll just have him look at this and I don't have a race scheduled until Labor Day so I should have enough time to recover.

2016-07-18 5:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Have to offer this for the general amusement. I got the link as part of a Northwest race newsletter. One of the filmmakers, (and the woman runner in the film) Alexi Pappas, trains most of the year in Eugene and will run for Greece in Rio. The guy is former Duck Andrew Wheating. Alexi and her partner (who, interestingly, is NOT Andrew Wheating), recently released a full-length film called "Tracktown" (set in Eugene) that premiered during the Trials.

The running trails featured are my old stomping grounds Pre's Trail (the "warmup" at the start) and Amazon (the interval workout). The part where Andrew makes "dinner" by dumping cold spaghetti sauce into a bowl of pasta, and Alexi crawls into bed still in her running clothes.....will have to admit they are embarrassingly close to the truth, not only for my life as a college runner, but, sometimes, now!

http://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000004517760/the-elite-runn...

So cute, thanks for sharing! Love the part where the athlete "reflects on the countless pasta bowls consumed over a lifetime"
2016-07-18 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by JBacarella

Rough weekend. Started out Friday night when my Dad was having some issues with coughing and wheezing, his feet and legs are swollen and he could not eat. I took him into the walk in clinic Saturday morning, the PA sent us to the hospital ER. After an X-Ray and some blood tests, the ER doc had him admitted into another hospital in their network, because of congestive heart failure.
The other hospital is 1 1/2 hours away, I got really late, so we decided to spend the night. There was a Jehovah's Witness Convention and there was not a hotel one line within an hour. My wife called Holiday Inn and the found a hotel room 20 minutes away. We got to the hotel, to find that Holiday Inn double booked the room. We called Holiday Inn and they could not find another room within an hour, so they gave us enough points to comp a room on another night or if we found something comparable, they would pay for it. We kept looking online, while I started to drive hospital, thinking we would either sleep in the hospital or in my truck (the hospital is in a sketchy neighborhood, actually one of the 10 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country), when a room at a Hampton Inn 5 minutes away came open, someone cancelled at the last minute. We booked the room, called to check it was for real, and Holiday Inn paid for it.
I spent today with my Dad and meeting with his medical team for his course of treatment. Dad will be in the hospital for the next 2-3 more days, so I will be driving down to be with him after work the rest of this week.
He is doing better, the fluid is being reduced and he is feeling better, although if you asked him Saturday morning, nothing was wrong with him and he didn't need to see a doctor. I am so thankful he is living with us now. If he was still living at his home, we would not have caught the problem.

Sounds like a tough situation and I am sure you would have rather have been there for your dad than running around trying to find a hotel. The important thing is that you got him the help he needed. I hope everything works out well for him.
2016-07-18 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jim, I feel your pain, we went through a similar experience a few years back with Ann's mom. She ended up in a hospital in Tampa (90 mins away) after a brain bleed and was there for over a month. Lots of driving, hospital sleeping, hotel stays and the general up-in-the-airedness that you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. It is tough, but you are tougher my friend. Keep on keeping on and hopefully it all goes well and dad is back home soon. How lucky that you had recently moved him into your home! He is lucky to have you.

2016-07-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cdban66

Jim, I feel your pain, we went through a similar experience a few years back with Ann's mom. She ended up in a hospital in Tampa (90 mins away) after a brain bleed and was there for over a month. Lots of driving, hospital sleeping, hotel stays and the general up-in-the-airedness that you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. It is tough, but you are tougher my friend. Keep on keeping on and hopefully it all goes well and dad is back home soon. How lucky that you had recently moved him into your home! He is lucky to have you.

Thanks,we realized that we moved him in at a good time. He has been my Mom's primary caregiver for the past several years and all of the focus has been on her needs, that we didn't really pay attention to what was going on with him, and he would never admit there was a problem. Even as he and I are waiting to see the first doctor and when he was being taken to the ER, he kept insisting that he was fine and nothing was wrong with him. He has a good night and they we able to get a lot of the fluid out of him, but he has a long way to go for recovery. Outpatient cardiac rehab isn't easily available for him here, but fortunately he should be able to do it at my wife's nursing home, where my mom is. It is just a matter of getting it under control first.
2016-07-18 8:01 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thanks,we realized that we moved him in at a good time. He has been my Mom's primary caregiver for the past several years and all of the focus has been on her needs, that we didn't really pay attention to what was going on with him, and he would never admit there was a problem. Even as he and I are waiting to see the first doctor and when he was being taken to the ER, he kept insisting that he was fine and nothing was wrong with him. He has a good night and they we able to get a lot of the fluid out of him, but he has a long way to go for recovery. Outpatient cardiac rehab isn't easily available for him here, but fortunately he should be able to do it at my wife's nursing home, where my mom is. It is just a matter of getting it under control first.

on the right track! Hope recovery continues to go well!

2016-07-18 8:02 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Anyone checking out Yanti on FB? OMG she's having the time over her life at TdF and I'm so jealous!!
2016-07-18 8:13 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Anyone checking out Yanti on FB? OMG she's having the time over her life at TdF and I'm so jealous!!

Me too...what an incredible trip!! Freaking AWESOME!!

2016-07-18 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Dude, we are singing the same song. Ann's mom took care of her 2nd husband after his stroke for a few years as he deteriorated and finally (mercifully) passed away. After that she never said boo about her health to anyone. Even after all of that a few years ago, she struggles to let us know when her back is hurting. It is obvious to us, but she won't say a thing.

Parent care is an interesting part of life. 

2016-07-18 8:25 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ben - Congrats on getting stronger :-D  I'm sure that you are super happy to be riding outside again! How did you like the 1x? 

Jim - I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  You and your family are in our thoughts. {{hugs}}

Markus - I hope that you are feeling better this morning and that your doc fixes you up quickly. My PT said that he gets a lot of business from those trampoline places.  Be careful!

Yanti - I cannot believe that you didn’t give us a heads up about our Tour de Piglets VIP treatment!

I hope that everyone else had a good weekend!

2016-07-18 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ben - Congrats on getting stronger :-D  I'm sure that you are super happy to be riding outside again! How did you like the 1x? 

Jim - I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  You and your family are in our thoughts. {{hugs}}

Markus - I hope that you are feeling better this morning and that your doc fixes you up quickly. My PT said that he gets a lot of business from those trampoline places.  Be careful!

Yanti - I cannot believe that you didn’t give us a heads up about our Tour de Piglets VIP treatment!

I hope that everyone else had a good weekend!

Great summary Janyne, I second everything you said! 

2016-07-18 8:35 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by johnthecat

What do you guys think of Jan Frodeno's performance today at Challenge Roth setting a new Ironman World record at 7:35.39? 3 guys under 8 hours today.

Blows my mind.

Insane fast!
2016-07-18 8:45 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Jim - so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm thinking of you and your family. (((HUGS)))
2016-07-18 11:00 AM

Master
Northern IL

It was interesting to try, but not something I'd want to have all the time. The fun part with that was more of a novelty feeling. In that area, the speed ranges are just too great and too often, as you can see with the cadence I was at too. The low end wasn't dawdling around either, but likely putting out 4.5-5 W/kg for a few minutes at a time, and doing so at 45-60 rpm is a challenge!

That bike is more his all-purpose one. Commutes, CX, or gravel pathways. He has an Emonda for wanting to go on the roads. We've talked quite a bit about going 1x on things like mountain bikes. He loves it. I've stayed with 2x as my use for that bike does include the pathways. I break over 20 mph too often there and need more low end than a bigger one can offer on single track. Don't want to be switching the front ring per the ride. It's nice to just have the 2 on there and make the switch with the push of a button (or lever). That's the simplicity I was after. I also didn't want to get another bike just for the pathways. I'm not as interested in racing CX as he is. If I only used the mountain bike for single track I'd likely give 1x more consideration there, especially with the 1x12 that SRAM has.

2016-07-18 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Jim I'm sorry you had such a stressful few days. Happy to see that your father is on the mend and once again it looks like you and your wife are in a great spot to help. Prayers for you and the family

Markus get healed up so you can get back out there.

Yanti, so so so jealous! Glad you are having fun in the land of the piglets.

I finally made it up to Bastille Day on the TdF. What a crazy day!  I was watching the ITT on the drainer this morning.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.