World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 08m 18s
Overall Rank = 830/2500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 151/
Pre-race routine:

Up around 4 AM. Got a cup of coffee, PB and Apple butter sandwich, then double checked my special needs bags. Went downstairs to catch my ride to transition with Jay and Kristin. Got bodymarked, portapottied and took the long walk to swim start where some folks already had a spot held for us.
Event warmup:

Nothing, just gabbing with Kraig, Tom, Courtney, Doug, Steph, Jay, Kevin, Kristen, and a few of the other athletes. Never was nervous at any point, just ready to get going.
Swim
  • 1h 15m 20s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had a pretty good spot towards the front 25% of the line so once the gun went off I was in the water very quickly. I decided to bust out a cannonball, I am sure it was a pretty splash. The firts 200 or so yards I was just trying to establish a rhythm and set my pace. My goggles were foggy and I had trouble sighting, so I finally let a bit of water in to clear them and it made quite a bit of difference. Somewhere shortly after the turnaround I got a kick to the head that rang my bell for a second, but other than that it was light contact throughout the swim. I focused on form and moving at a sustainable and easy pace. I did get off course for a moment and was corrected by a kayaker at one point about 20 minutes from the finish, so that probably cost me a small amount of time. Found the stairs and a volunteer helped me out of the water, saw the family and high fived them as I ran to transition. Part 1 of 3 was over
What would you do differently?:

Defog my goggles maybe? I had a good swim. I could have gone faster, but I got out of the water with a full tank, so I really cant complain.
Transition 1
  • 06m 28s
Comments:

First Ironman transition, so it is way different. I spent the extra time to make sure I had everything I needed, and also put on the heart rate monitor and had to start the Garmin. all in alll an average time- most importantly I had everything I needed

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 14m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great when I jumped on the bike. I stayed in Z2 and the air was still cool. I was going pretty fast (over 20) and rocked out the first 30 miles almost effortlessly. The out and back that everyone feared was a good bit of climbing but felt good until mile 27, when I though my front derauiller cable broke and my chain was rubbing hard on the frame. I thought- Oh crap, this cant be, so I kept messing with it (as I was climbing the grinding hill) and it popped into gear thank goodness and I was rolling again. I alternated water and perform drink as the aid stations came about every 10 miles and that was working well. Rolled through LaGrange and enjoyed the crowd support there. I saw Tom and Bill and managed to strike a pose. It was starting to heat up at this point so I decided to dial it back a bit and use smaller gears. The course was super crowded and people would pass you and slow down, so you had to get out of thier draft and repass them, and that got annoying, so sometimes I would just settle in despite my want to go faster. One guy stood up on a downhill and slowed down and peed, and I got splashed which was gross and annoying. He slowed me down and pissed on me. On the 2nd laGrage loop I decided to stop at a portapotty (around mile 60) which cost me a couple of minutes, but better than pissing all over myself and bike. I also stopped at special needs around mile 65 to grab some chamois butter and bodyglide. After rolling through Lagrange again it started getting Africa hot. Around mile 70 I was feeling it with the relentless hills and heat, but pace and legs were still ok. I compensated by taking in extra hydration and nutrition (big mistake).
Somewhere around mile 85 my stomach started a mini revolt and the taste of the perform drink was really bothering me. I had taken in some Clif z bars as well that wanted to come up. I sucked it up and got to the last 10 or so flat miles and started cramping in the inner thighs which I did my best to spin through, but I was only moving 16mph on the easiest part of the course. I knew I was in trouble at this point with the cramping and the bad stomach, and was really ready to be off the bike. I finally got to transition, handed off the bike and slowly wobbled into transition

Stick with the consumption plan and avoid high fiber/protein solid foods. The liquid consumption probably would have been ok without the bricks in my stomach
Transition 2
  • 14m 3s
Comments:

I was in a daze here. I was hot and wanted to throw up and lay down. I knew I had to somehow overcome it, so I took my time and tried to recover a bit in transition. It was hot and I was lightheaded. A volunteer brought over some water and a cold coke which helped a little. I changed my shoes and jersey, threw on my visor and headed out. I saw karen on the way out and tried to hit the portapotty to puke, but nothing. I slowly ran out and saw my cheering section which gave me a tiny pick me up

This was all about trying to get through at this point. It goes back to the bike and the cramping, heat, and stomach issues.
Run
  • 5h 18m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch. I was not in a good place here. I was able to suck it up and run slowly the first couple miles, then I had to take walk breaks. It was hot and my stomach was kiling me. My achilles was starting to feel like it was shredding and I knew I was in for a long marathon. I averaged around 11 minute miles through the first 8-10 miles and then I could barely walk anymore after the turnaround. This was the dark spot in my race and I was hurting, couldn't move and felt completely hopeless as I walked by people laying in the grass and just quitting. Doug caught up to me around mile 12 and took a walk with me for a while. He was suffering too, but had a little more in the tank. He got me running to points and back downtown. on the way I saw most of the other NAMC'ers and noticed we were all suffering. I realized it was what it was, so time to embrace the pain - this is part of Ironman racing. I refused to walk in front of the big crowds downtown so we ran almost a mile to the next aid station. Doug then pulled out the life saver of the day- 2 tums and gave them to me. They were disgusting, but exactly what I needed. around mile 15 he moved on and shortly after I started feeling optimistic and the sun started going down. I was still huting, but it was cooler, and my stomach was feeling better- and most importantly I was getting closer to the finish line. I found Spengler around mile 17 and walked with him for a bit, then I decided it was time to work a plan and finish this thing sooner than later. I would get about .15 past each mile split and walk .15 miles, run to the aid station, walk the aid station, then run to the mile marker and repeat. This was working and I was actually getting stronger (other than my shredded achilles).
I hit mile 23 and I was tempted to give it all the last 3 and try and break 13 hours as this was the initial goal, but decided against it realizing I could be setting myself up for a dissapointing effort and miss out on enjoying the finish line, so I stuck with what was working. I was starting to get really excited by mile 24 as I knew I was very close to becoming an Ironman, and there was no stopping me now. I walked the last aid station and decided there was no more walking from mile 25.5 on. I saw saw katie and remember telling me "YOU MADE IT, YOU LOOK AWESOME" and then the adrenalind started pumping, this was it. I rounded the corner and there was the finish line about .3 miles away. The crowd was huge and going wild and I was so happy to be going left to the finishers chute.
Right before I hit the carpet I saw Jamie, Jackson and my mother, gave them a kiss and hit the finish line arms in the air. It was all a blur, but one of the best feelings I have ever experienced, I am an IRONMAN!

I wouldnt change a thing. Suffering adds to accomplishment. I knew it would be hard and it proved to be
Post race
Warm down:

water, walking around and some light stretching. After the initial pump of adrenaline wore off I was hurting. I thought a margarita might bee good, or some food but it was not. Went back out to cheer on the rest of the finishers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and the inexperience. I really cant complain otherwise

Event comments:

4 Years ago I weighed about 250 pounds, could barely run 2 miles and was not active at all. I decided to do a sprint triathlon on '06 to get in shape and have some sort of athletic accomplishment, and it was awesome- I was hooked. I never thought I could or would ever do a full marathon, definetly not an ironman.
Fast forward 3 years. I made some friends, got in shape, and saw got inspired watching my friends become Ironmen, and I knew that it could be done and signed up after cheering Courtney in Louisville. The training was hard, it was hot this summer and I took a lot of time away from my family, non tri friends, and was unemployed for much of it. I never lot focus on this goal and no matter what, this had to happen. I have a tendency to underacheive and this was my chance to do otherwise.
I learned that setting goals and having the desire to do something is simply not enough. You have to commit and execute- even if it is inconvenient or uncomfortable at times. Nothing is insurmountable, but it takes fortitude and commitment. Now I know what it takes and I truly think that this journey will lead to great things and accoplishments beyond the race course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:20 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Swim upriver past island, angle past the island, then down river to the finish
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:14:11 | 112 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling to hilly course with a 30 mile double loop in the middle through horse country
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 14:03
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:18:16 | 26.2 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: double out and back, finishing at 4th street live
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-02 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2010-09-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3077766

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
That is a great report! I believe you have achieved alot in the last few years. I think the Ironman is a catalyst to greater things in life and i am proud to be with you to experience them. I am so glad that Jackson got to see you accomplish your goal! You had an extremely tough day out there and yet you still finished, with a huge smile on your face. Congrats to you and your determiniation.
2010-09-02 7:36 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job GCorn.  It has been a fun journey watching you transform into an Ironman athlete.  Keep up the good work. 
2010-09-02 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
great job Greg!!  way to stick with it and finish strong!
2010-09-02 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Great job on pushing through and achieving your goal- congrats Ironman!
2010-09-02 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
"He slowed me down and pissed on me." - Ok, I might be chuckling for days over that one..I think we have a new gold standard for IM RR's.

What a day! Congratulations on getting through it - Personally, I think training through this summer must have been as tough as race day, so making it to the start line was a quite an accomplishment. Either way, congrats, IronMan!

2010-09-02 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Proud of you man!  I know how you feel to lose all that weight and run down to the finish.  Now let's do more!  Really good job man on the bike and awesome swim!
2010-09-02 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Watching you out there I never would have known that you were having issues, you always looked strong and I used your look of determination to keep me going.  You had a great race, you should be proud of yourself, and you have set an incredible example for Jackson.  Congratulations Ironman!
2010-09-02 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Nice job, Corn! you had a strong day, especially on the bike! The run was just  sufferfest and ppl were laying in the grass and shade trying to recover! Too bad we didn't see each other out there!

YOu are an IRONMAN, brother!
2010-09-02 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Awesome job brother. Wish I could have been there.   The memories of the finish line will stick with you forever. 
2010-09-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3078201

User image

Master
You looked very strong every time I saw you.  Way to gut out the running to the finish! : )

2010-09-02 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Way to go man! Now you'll have to help pace me for my first one next year!
2010-09-02 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Great job, awesome finish time and nice closing comments!
2010-09-03 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran

Awesome race report! You suffered and still succeeded! Triathlon / IM is definitely a metaphor for every day life! 

2010-09-03 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Congrats Ironman....

2010-09-07 7:11 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Nice work out there Mr. Corn. 

I'm proud to have been part of it.

2010-09-07 7:34 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Good  job out there buddy! I remember the first NAMC meeting that you came to and you swore I was trying to kill you during our pre meeting 5k run. Fast forward to today and you are the President of NAMC and you have been kicking my all summer.

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed