Total Time = 07m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to West Seattle Fest and had:

1 Fried chicken drumstick
1 Kahlua Pork Lettuce Wrap
2 Beers (one Lucille IPA, one To Hell or High Watermelon Wheat)
1 scoop cookie dough ice-cream in waffle cone
1/2 Cuban sammy
Event warmup:

Soooo, we were at a festival all day and I just happened to throw my singlet, shorts and shoes in the car saying, "Hey, just in case we don't have time to come home."

As it turned out the above pre-race routine took all day :) and we in fact did not have time to go home. While I was somewhat prepared I still didn't have socks or sunglasses but hey, I can live life on the edge.

Anyway, I got to the stadium and it was last call for the estimate your time mile. I figured I had better get some kind of warm up in and hey, I could even do it with a full belly to simulate the milk mile. I shoved the half Cuban sandwich down my throat, put on my shorts, shoes (no socks) and singlet and reported to the start line.

I predicted a 7:45. No reason behind that. Just cause.
They had us all lift our wrists to be sure we werent wearing watches and then the gun fired.
We took off. It was hot and I had no sunglasses. Between the bright sun and the fact that sunscreen was dripping into my eyes I pretty much squinted for the whole mile. They leave the clock on for the first lap and I came in around 1:50. A touch fast but I figured I was on track enough. I attempted to slow her down just a wee bit in laps 2 and 3. Final lap came and I couldn't tell if I was going a little fast or that it was just hot.

I came in a 7:23. DAMMMN I was way off!!

Anyway, I went back to the stands to mentally prepare for the milk mile.
Run
  • 07m 8s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Drinking amt, TOO MUCH! HAHA

Alright, so, rules are drink, run a lap, drink, run a lap, drink, run a lap, drink , run a lap to finish. Once you finished you had to remain puke free for 1 full minute in order to not get penalized.

We were handed our delicious frothy glasses of milk in nostalgic red solo cups at the start. We were told that they would fire the gun, we were to drink and then we could cross the start line.

"On your marks!" We got in our best runner's stances, cups in had, "BANG!" We all began chugging.

I had discussed several strategy options. "I'm either going to drink slow, run fast or run slow drink fast." I had said to J and some friends earlier. "Why not drink fast run fast?" said J.

Having not practiced at all, I had to wing it. Why not drink fast run fast?

So drink fast I did. I finished my cup, showed the judge it was empty and off I went. I ran well for the first one, un-phased by the milk. I came into the "transition/drinking" area and got another cup. It went down fairly smooth and I took off for my second lap.

At the end of the second lap my stomach as a little unhappy. I drank a little slower and tried to catch my breath a little.

Off I went for my third lap. I was definitely feeling it this time. My belly was so full. I could hear it sloshing around (or maybe that was the two beers and the ice cream cone from earlier?)

I came in to drink my last cup. This one was very slow. OK, I kinda felt like puking. I had to hold it together, only one lap to go!

I took off, this time much slower. I figured I would benefit from slowing down, even by 30 seconds rather than facing the humiliation of puking in front of everyone and getting a 1:00 penalty.

I rounded the corner and into the final straightway. Victory seemed so close!

I sped up, but not toooo much and crossed the line, cautiously victorious.

Now all I had to do was hold it down for another minute. I stood there on the track, trying NOT to look at the discarded cups of milk and milk jugs.

46, 47, 48 c'mon I can do this!!!

58, 59, 60!!! BOOOOOOOM!!! FEMALE MILK MILE CHAAAMMMMPIOOON!!!!!!

Ok, ok, it sounds cooler than it was. I was the only female participating! lol!

A few other people came in across the finish line then had to wait their minute then it was all over.

The milk king and I, the queen, came to the podium, holding our trophies high for the world to see (we won a gallon of milk each)

So this was the inaugural event which means my time will be the first in the record books, the one to beat next year! Some women had better step up!
What would you do differently?:

I could probably push it a little more.
I bet if I hadn't eaten all that crap earlier I could have been a little faster. I probably could have done a proper warm-up, too? ;)

Who am I kidding, this was just for fun. I wouldn't change a thing!
Post race
Warm down:

Watched the elite men and women's mile then went home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Milk? Beer? Icecream? Chicken?

Event comments:

So many drink stations :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:08 | 01 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: If you love milk and running, well why not combine the two? There many reasons why not to combine these two things like the high likelihood of an upset stomach, but for those very reasons the milk mile has gained much allure! The event starts with the competitors drinking a cup of milk and then running a lap. At the completion of each lap the competitor will drink another cup and then run another lap. The race will consist of consuming four cups of milk and running the four laps that make up a mile. The fastest milk-drinker and lap-runner will be the victor. Any “up chucking” will impose a 1:00 minute addition to their time, so train your gut, lungs, legs, and mind to be strong in order to tackle this event!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 11:45 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: The Milk Mile

2013-07-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4804423

User image

Master
Subject: RE: The Milk Mile
Milk Mile Queen!! I love it.  My god, I don't know how you run at all with a full tummy never mind a  bloody 7min mile!  Yeesh!
2013-07-15 12:25 PM

Master
Northern IL
Nice going! Still shaking my head at this one though.
2013-07-15 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Holy crap am I impressed with the lack of hurling - I thought for SURE there would have been spewage all over.  Or maybe I'm just thinking of the result if I had attempted it? 

"Too many drink stations"  HA! 

2013-07-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Holy crap am I impressed with the lack of hurling - I thought for SURE there would have been spewage all over.  Or maybe I'm just thinking of the result if I had attempted it? 

No. In the back of my mind, I thought I was gonna puke. 

But I do so many runs after eating a whole bunch of stuff and haven't had an issue (except with jalepenos)

I just thought milk might be the game changer.

Assuredly beer will be the game changer...

2013-07-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

No. In the back of my mind, I thought I was gonna puke. 

But I do so many runs after eating a whole bunch of stuff and haven't had an issue (except with jalepenos)

I just thought milk might be the game changer.

Assuredly beer will be the game changer...

Is there such a thing as the "Beer Mile" race??  The last time I did anything with both beer and running was Keg Ball... basically slo-pitch but with a keg at second and a keg at home.  You can't pass 2nd base til you finish your beer and you're not safe at home until you finish your beer. 

We didn't get through too many innings. 

2013-07-15 12:52 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
And they gave you milk as a trophy prize classic.
2013-07-15 12:53 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Oh man, this sounds like so much fun!!  Well, minus the sloshing and not looking at empty milk jugs and cups!   MILK QUEEN!!  DAIRY QUEEN!!  ICE CREAM!!  oh wait, sorry, got derailed a bit.  Congrats, you have now added yet another tally onto the Reasons Salty is Awesome sheet!
2013-07-15 1:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Milk Mile Queen and Defending Champion!
2013-07-15 2:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Wow, I am impressed and just a little sad by the lack of spewage! Great job by the Milk Queen.
2013-07-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Awesome!   Milk Queen!!!!

2013-07-15 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I bow to the greatness of the Milk Queen!!!!
2013-07-15 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

No puking?

Epic fail.

What if we alternate whiskey and milk each lap?

Do you see how willing I am to work with you on this?

Listening, understanding, compassion, compromise--mad skillz, baby.

2013-07-15 3:49 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Her Royal Highness, the Milk Queen! Congratulations? Reading your report almost made me spew.
2013-07-15 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh my, I can't even eat ice cream the night before an early morning run, and you were chugging milk DURING the run. That makes my stomach gurgle a little just thinking about it. Good job, freaking 7 minute mile with a belly full of everything.
2013-07-15 3:58 PM
in reply to: Tiffanator

User image

Payson, AZ
I can't imagine running period on all that food you ate, let alone the milk mile.  At least they gave you cold milk.  I bet the story would be different if it was warm.  You continue to rock

2013-07-15 4:02 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Hahaha!  

When I first saw you say that you were going to do this, I was all like "omg, that has hurling written all over it"!  

It sounds like it was a really fun event.  +1 to being impressed with the lack of hurling - I'm not sure I could have pulled that off!

Congrats! 

2013-07-15 4:57 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Very nice work, Salty! But I will admit that I am little disappointed that you didn't puke. Is that wrong of me?
2013-07-15 5:42 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

The boys around here(Columbus Grove,Ohio) do the Chocolate Milk Mile and it requires a pint at the start of each lap... hurling is inevitable. Highly amusing though.... Youtube video is hilarious, but mostly cause I know tons of the kids... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_ffHvBAYE
2013-07-15 6:00 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

No puking?

Epic fail.

What if we alternate whiskey and milk each lap?

Do you see how willing I am to work with you on this?

Listening, understanding, compassion, compromise--mad skillz, baby.

Sounds like we've got the details all worked out. Now we just gotta seal tha' deal Smile

2013-07-15 6:00 PM

User image

Seattle
Ok, seriously guys? You all wanted me to puke? The fcuck? What kinda friends are you!!!???!?!?!?! Smile

2013-07-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: bgsmith

User image

Master

Originally posted by bgsmith The boys around here(Columbus Grove,Ohio) do the Chocolate Milk Mile and it requires a pint at the start of each lap... hurling is inevitable. Highly amusing though.... Youtube video is hilarious, but mostly cause I know tons of the kids... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_ffHvBAYE

Disturbing and entertaining all at the same time...

2013-07-15 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great job Salty, but I must say I too am a little sorry that there wasn't any hurling involved
2013-07-15 9:51 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I almost threw up a little reading what you had to do for this race...

Sounds like a FUN race. I read the report just because of the race name. Congratulations on not puking and doing so well. I'd totally do an ice cream version of this race. Except...oh! Imagine the ice cream headaches!
2013-07-16 7:47 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by AsalzwedOk, seriously guys? You all wanted me to puke? The fcuck? What kinda friends are you!!!???!?!?!?! Smile

Yeah, it's pretty pitiful that we are the best you've got. Then again, I suppose if you were a better person you would have more choices in friends....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Milk Mile Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Foggy Bottom Milk Run-10 mile

Started by owl_girl
Views: 984 Posts: 1

2010-04-17 7:41 PM owl_girl

It's Better in Mentor 5 mile run & 2 mile walk

Started by lfohl
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2007-10-25 12:14 PM lfohl

Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run

Started by benton4
Views: 1543 Posts: 1

2007-02-08 10:04 PM benton4

Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run

Started by DarrellC
Views: 1255 Posts: 1

2007-02-03 10:31 PM DarrellC

The Backyard Burn Trail Series 10 Mile/5 Mile

Started by ejc999
Views: 1212 Posts: 6

2006-12-05 10:46 PM wieczynski
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.

date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : August 8, 2008
Discussion on nutrition to lose weight while training for sprints, chocolate milk for recovery, daily calorie breakdown, fruits and bike nutrition.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.