of 4

2014-02-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Coaching costs
Originally posted by Stuartap

Here is the pricing for one of our local tri clubs which includes 'coaching' from Becky Lavelle, who has some pretty good competition credentials.

FEE SCHEDULE ANNUAL DUES $125/YEAR
INCLUDES: USAT INSURANCE, ACCESS TO CONCEPT CYCLERY DISCOUNTS, ACCESS TO WEEKLY DROP IN'S, TRAINING CAMP DISCOUNTS, TEAM SHIRT, SOCIAL EVENTS

$95/MONTH: ALL OF THE ABOVE AND…A GENERAL TRAINING PLAN BY BECKY LAVELLE, ACCESS TO ALL WEEKLY AND MONTHLY COACHED WORKOUTS

$195/MONTH FOR SPRINT, OLYMPIC DISTANCE OR SINGLE SPORT, ALL OF THE ABOVE AND…A PERSONALIZED TRAINING PROGRAM BY BECKY LAVELLE

$250/MONTH FOR HALF IRON MAN AND IRON MAN DISTANCE, PERSONALIZED TRAINING PROGRAM BY BECKY LAVELLE

As I looked at this pricing schedule I don't see the value. $2465 for Sprint/Oly seems high for a once a week (or less) group workout and a training plan. I was a MOP guy after a year of self training and don't believe I would have fared any better had I used a coach.

$3125/yr for an IM/HIM likewise seems expensive for what this particular program provides.

I can tell you very accurately where my deficiency is. The run. I need zero help for my swim. I was a very good competitive swimmer in HS & college. I am a good cyclist and getting better using online resources and free plans. I have always been a poor runner and since a cycling accident last year that necessitated a full hip replacement I have to change to a low impact style. Personally I think I would be much better off with a running coach than a tri coach. I think that path would get me to my goal of finishing an IM. Because of the hip surgery I only get one shot at it now so as I get closer I may change my mind but for right now, I can't see investing over $3000/yr for what I would get.

I think I would be better served to use that money on a better ride.

Why does a training plan increase based on race distance? Thats BS IMO

2014-02-26 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

I'm of the opinion that prebuilt plans actually are very good for AGers. Yes, selection of the plan takes some experience and skill that may requier a newb to get some help, but prebuilt plans (like EN) when selected correctly, provide excellent training for very low cost. 

In a world of limitless possibilities, I think it would be a fair expectation to compare the results of a coach with an athlete vs that athlete's performance using a prebuilt plan to determine the value of the coaching. I would fully expect a range here as well - some folks would do terrible sticking to a plan and do great with the cheerleading of a coach, whereas some self-motivated folks might even have better results with a prebuilt plan that doesn't let them ever slack off or talk their way out of harder workouts.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-02-26 11:45 AM
2014-02-26 11:48 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Here are some coaching programs in my area for reference.

This is what the coach I used is now charging:

Month-to-month triathlon training
$250 first month, $200 each month after

Includes:
Custom training plan in 4-week blocks, custom training zones
Daily changes if needed
Race day nutrition plan
Training Peaks Premium account
Unlimited phone/email communication
Swim video analysis
Pay as you go/cancel any time

Another program in my area:

$180 per month for 70.3 training includes:
6-9 hours per week of coached team training opportunities
Monthly training plan
Training Peaks account
Unlimited email/phone communication
Team visor

$240 per month for 140.6 training includes:
6-12 hours per week of coached training opportunities
Monthly training plan
Training Peaks account
Unlimited email/phone communication
Team visor

$120 per month for Saturday-only training includes:
Coached and safety supported open water swims
Followed by group bike rides

2014-02-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Lisa - how did your coach come up with "custom training zones" for you?

2014-02-26 11:56 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by thebigb

I think a solid remote coach in the realm of $200/month is worth it. Once you start getting up to $300/month I think that's the area of a local coach that can offer some sort of extra benefits, such as group trainer workouts, supported rides once in a while, maybe some track days with a touch of one on one time or even inclusion into a master's class. 

BUT....you don't necessarily need one coach to do those things, and may be better with different coaches with specific expertise....especially once you get to higher levels.  I think it's important to have one coach who gets ALL of the data and can build the overall workout program, but other, more specific coaches (swimming and biking for instance) can build the specific workouts based on the overall framework.  That's what I'm doing for my kid and it REALLY works well. I spend just over 300 per month for him, but he gets instruction from former world record holders, former TdF riders, etc.....and these are workouts with the coach present.  You have to search these folks and coaches out, because they don't need to advertise, but the bang for the buck is good IMO.

One misconception is that many people think athletic skill/performance translates to coaching skill/performance. That is not true for everyone. Just because you are a good athlete does not mean that you will be a good coach and vice versa.

Yeah, but when those same great athletes have also coached champions you really get the best of both worlds. I looked for coaches with great results and high performance backgrounds because I wanted that experience of moving up to elite level to be a part of the knowledge he gains from the coaches.  Again, you mostly have to search these folks out.....they don't advertise.

2014-02-26 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by thebigb

I think a solid remote coach in the realm of $200/month is worth it. Once you start getting up to $300/month I think that's the area of a local coach that can offer some sort of extra benefits, such as group trainer workouts, supported rides once in a while, maybe some track days with a touch of one on one time or even inclusion into a master's class. 

BUT....you don't necessarily need one coach to do those things, and may be better with different coaches with specific expertise....especially once you get to higher levels.  I think it's important to have one coach who gets ALL of the data and can build the overall workout program, but other, more specific coaches (swimming and biking for instance) can build the specific workouts based on the overall framework.  That's what I'm doing for my kid and it REALLY works well. I spend just over 300 per month for him, but he gets instruction from former world record holders, former TdF riders, etc.....and these are workouts with the coach present.  You have to search these folks and coaches out, because they don't need to advertise, but the bang for the buck is good IMO.

One misconception is that many people think athletic skill/performance translates to coaching skill/performance. That is not true for everyone. Just because you are a good athlete does not mean that you will be a good coach and vice versa.

Yeah, but when those same great athletes have also coached champions you really get the best of both worlds. I looked for coaches with great results and high performance backgrounds because I wanted that experience of moving up to elite level to be a part of the knowledge he gains from the coaches.  Again, you mostly have to search these folks out.....they don't advertise.

And that is exactly what you want. I was just trying to make the notion people assume great performance turns into great coaching, not true for all, but like you said if you did your research and find they can do both then you really do have the best of both worlds.

2014-02-26 12:46 PM

User image

I voted too expensive on the other thread because my expecations of a coach would be pretty high.  I don't want a cookie cutter plan, or cookie cutter responses to questions.  I can get that on the internet for free.    I'm not looking for a coach who has a full time job and has 20 clients.  If a coach only has 10-15 hours per week to coach 20 people...that's only 30-45 minutes of attention per week that I get.  Good luck analyzing 12 workouts, modifying or tweaking my upcoming workouts, and communicating with me in that short a time frame.

So likely a coach I would be looking for is either coaching full time, or only has a full time job but only coaches 5-7 athletes on the side.  Thus allowing him/her to spend 1-2 hours of solid individual time on each athlete.  That comes with a price though as the coach still needs to earn a decent wage per hour of their time.

I know some coaches that don't focus on the one on one attention or workout analysis.  They are pretty up front about it, but rather focus on group workouts and creating general plans for people that are all doing the same race together.  So they can take on 20 clients, do 5-7 hours a week of group workouts, and spend another 3-5 hours a week giving brief feedback and plan changes to the athletes that may need it.  So they can get away with only coaching 10 hours a week for 20 clients...and charge roughly $75-100 a month.  Which is not bad when you do the math.  That's around $35-50 an hour for the coaches time.  Some people like this type of coaching, but it's not something I'm interested in.

So in the mean time, I'll keep picking my low hanging fruit that I don't need a coach to point out.  Right now the value isn't there for what I'm looking for.

2014-02-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Jason N

I voted too expensive on the other thread because my expecations of a coach would be pretty high.  I don't want a cookie cutter plan, or cookie cutter responses to questions.  I can get that on the internet for free.    I'm not looking for a coach who has a full time job and has 20 clients.  If a coach only has 10-15 hours per week to coach 20 people...that's only 30-45 minutes of attention per week that I get.  Good luck analyzing 12 workouts, modifying or tweaking my upcoming workouts, and communicating with me in that short a time frame.

I think that this is a critical aspect that many athletes overlook and that some coaches would rather not discuss. I know of several coaches who will not discuss how many athletes they coach (huge warning sign IMO) and others who will boast silly things like "in the past five years, I've coached more than 400 athletes."

So likely a coach I would be looking for is either coaching full time, or only has a full time job but only coaches 5-7 athletes on the side.  Thus allowing him/her to spend 1-2 hours of solid individual time on each athlete.  That comes with a price though as the coach still needs to earn a decent wage per hour of their time.

While it often does come with a price, if you are interested, send me a message and I can point you toward some coaches that would likely fit the bill. Both full and part time coaches who don't charge an arm and a leg per athlete.

Shane
2014-02-26 1:34 PM

I would pay $1 USD a month.
Even then I'd have to work overtime to make it happen.

I'm not saying coaches are a bad thing, just that I personally can't afford the service.
2014-02-26 1:47 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

D3 has been writing plans and covering the BT athletes for a long time now. We have literally helped THOUSANDS of athletes have great races, seasons, PRs, Kona qualifiers and so on. To say one person had a bad experience is actually pretty good if you consider how many people we've helped here over the last decade.

Most of the information we have is from what the athletes' input is - if we don't get information like HR/ Power / how they felt etc- then it's tough to give great feedback.

For $35/month to ask certified USAT Coaches any question you like, and get the option to countless plans is probably the best deal on the internet. I don't think most people really understand how much value they are getting from BT.

For a coach that wants to actually eat, pay a mortgage, maybe retire someday, send their kids to college and drive a car that's less than 10 years old, you would need to charge at least $50/hour for the 6-8 hours a month you are interacting with your athlete. That's $300/month. On top of the above expenses, you still have to worry about marketing, writing, CEU's, paying for certifications, upkeep on a website, insurance, mentoring, volunteering and in person coaching. Even at $300/month x 10 athletes is only $3,000 a month. That's not a lot to live off folks and that's why coaches charge what they do. How much does a top CPA, Lawyer or Plumber get in their industry? I can't get a plumber to walk into my house in Boulder for less than $75 and that's just to access the problem, not actually fix it.

I also loved the post from the member who said you don't need to be certified - would you hire an attorney, Dr or plumber who wasn't certified? I highly doubt it, so why would you hire a coach who wasn't certified. If someone is truly passionate and good at what they do, they are certified through the federation they represent. Not to say there aren't good coaches who aren't certified - but I wouldn't hire just anyone.

It is obvious to me that most people on this thread under value coaching, and that's fine. Not everyone is coachable, and not everyone needs eye glasses or needs to visit a cobbler. There are a lot of great coaches out there, and a few on this website - they are about helping their athletes and they've made a business out their passion. There are also a lot of coaches who charge too little for their services. Like any industry, over time the cream rises to the top and the best coaches will be paid accordingly while the coaches who don't continue to get better and provide excellent customer services to their athletes will continue to charge what they are worth - very little. This is no different than any industry.

The funny thing is that almost everyone reading this thread wouldn't be involved in triathlon if they didn't have coaching along the way, at some age, at some level. ;-)

2014-02-26 1:55 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

He looked at my past performance + goals and came up with target paces for each workout (bike and run only... swim had specific drills/sets but we were more focused on bike and run).

2014-02-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

He looked at my past performance + goals and came up with target paces for each workout (bike and run only... swim had specific drills/sets but we were more focused on bike and run).

Gotcha....thanks.

2014-02-26 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by mikericci

It is obvious to me that most people on this thread under value coaching, and that's fine.

Just wondering what gives you this obvious impression.  Seems to me the only way to see this is to understand all the variables that go into an individual's calculation of value.  I can't imagine you can see that here.  Sort of like trying to give great coaching feedback when you don't have all the athletes' input. 

To be clear, I understand perfectly WHY a coach might need to charge $x.  But whether that is a good value and worth it to an individual will depend upon their particular circumstances.

BTW, congrats on the recent recognition!  I have no doubt that (for the right athletes) you provide great value for your services.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2014-02-26 2:07 PM
2014-02-26 2:07 PM
in reply to: mikericci

User image

Bronze member

D3 has been writing plans and covering the BT athletes for a long time now. We have literally helped THOUSANDS of athletes have great races, seasons, PRs, Kona qualifiers and so on. To say one person had a bad experience is actually pretty good if you consider how many people we've helped here over the last decade.

Most of the information we have is from what the athletes' input is - if we don't get information like HR/ Power / how they felt etc- then it's tough to give great feedback.

For $35/month to ask certified USAT Coaches any question you like, and get the option to countless plans is probably the best deal on the internet. I don't think most people really understand how much value they are getting from BT.

For a coach that wants to actually eat, pay a mortgage, maybe retire someday, send their kids to college and drive a car that's less than 10 years old, you would need to charge at least $50/hour for the 6-8 hours a month you are interacting with your athlete. That's $300/month. On top of the above expenses, you still have to worry about marketing, writing, CEU's, paying for certifications, upkeep on a website, insurance, mentoring, volunteering and in person coaching. Even at $300/month x 10 athletes is only $3,000 a month. That's not a lot to live off folks and that's why coaches charge what they do. How much does a top CPA, Lawyer or Plumber get in their industry? I can't get a plumber to walk into my house in Boulder for less than $75 and that's just to access the problem, not actually fix it.

I also loved the post from the member who said you don't need to be certified - would you hire an attorney, Dr or plumber who wasn't certified? I highly doubt it, so why would you hire a coach who wasn't certified. If someone is truly passionate and good at what they do, they are certified through the federation they represent. Not to say there aren't good coaches who aren't certified - but I wouldn't hire just anyone.

It is obvious to me that most people on this thread under value coaching, and that's fine. Not everyone is coachable, and not everyone needs eye glasses or needs to visit a cobbler. There are a lot of great coaches out there, and a few on this website - they are about helping their athletes and they've made a business out their passion. There are also a lot of coaches who charge too little for their services. Like any industry, over time the cream rises to the top and the best coaches will be paid accordingly while the coaches who don't continue to get better and provide excellent customer services to their athletes will continue to charge what they are worth - very little. This is no different than any industry.

The funny thing is that almost everyone reading this thread wouldn't be involved in triathlon if they didn't have coaching along the way, at some age, at some level. ;-)

In my case, I don't think I undervalue coaching. It's just that triathlon does not rate that high of a priority in my life in any form at the moment. It is recreation. I don't even pay for races. I volunteer and race for free or a discounted rate for the majority of my events. If you tell me all my local races are going to shut down and I will have to travel 2 hours, pay for lodging, and races fees to be able to continue racing then it is likely that  I won't bother. Other things in my life take up a lot of time, energy, money (kids, kids and kids LOL). Triathlon (or swimming, and cycling which is all I am doing right now) is just something I do. It's not what drives me. Does that make sense?

So what would I pay for coaching? Nothing and that is not meant to belittle any of the coaches out there. There are just higher ranking priorities in my life that eat up our disposable income and available time - like horse riding lessons for a 7 year old .

I probably should change my answer in the other thread from expense to priorities.

2014-02-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Elite

I absolutely value coaching. But I feel undervalued as a client.  It hasn't been worth my money. It is a local coach, and I feel those with more money to do more races, get a power tap, get the vo2max test etc and those that are faster get more time. 

I'd just like a customized plan and be able to say, today my back aches, how should I adjust?  I can do vdot tests and ftp tests on my own and give numbers and use those zones. I don't think thats a lot to ask for $150/month.

But it could also be a product of where I live. Most folks that do triathlon in this area have a ton of money, and have no problem dropping $1000 on a week training camp for a goal race.  For me, thats basically my race fund for the year.

2014-02-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

It is obvious to me that most people on this thread under value coaching, and that's fine.

Just wondering what gives you this obvious impression.  Seems to me the only way to see this is to understand all the variables that go into an individual's calculation of value.  I can't imagine you can see that here.  Sort of like trying to give great coaching feedback when you don't have all the athletes' input. 

To be clear, I understand perfectly WHY a coach might need to charge $x.  But whether that is a good value and worth it to an individual will depend upon their particular circumstances.

BTW, congrats on the recent recognition!  I have no doubt that (for the right athletes) you provide great value for your services.

Not everyone but a few folks - I don't take it personally, but when you've had a good coach, you'd know it.

Anyone can self test and adjust zones and read books, but most people are not going to do the hard workouts that they need to do. A hard workout for one person may be 30x30" at VO2 max and for someone else it may be running slow for an hour. It just depends, but having someone to hold you accountable goes a long way.

Thanks for the congrats. That means a lot.

2014-02-26 3:35 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Originally posted by trigal38

In my case, I don't think I undervalue coaching. It's just that triathlon does not rate that high of a priority in my life in any form at the moment. It is recreation. I don't even pay for races. I volunteer and race for free or a discounted rate for the majority of my events. If you tell me all my local races are going to shut down and I will have to travel 2 hours, pay for lodging, and races fees to be able to continue racing then it is likely that  I won't bother. Other things in my life take up a lot of time, energy, money (kids, kids and kids LOL). Triathlon (or swimming, and cycling which is all I am doing right now) is just something I do. It's not what drives me. Does that make sense?

So what would I pay for coaching? Nothing and that is not meant to belittle any of the coaches out there. There are just higher ranking priorities in my life that eat up our disposable income and available time - like horse riding lessons for a 7 year old .

I probably should change my answer in the other thread from expense to priorities.

This makes complete sense to me. No offense taken but what you are saying I agree 100%.

2014-02-26 3:40 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Originally posted by turtlegirl

I absolutely value coaching. But I feel undervalued as a client.  It hasn't been worth my money. It is a local coach, and I feel those with more money to do more races, get a power tap, get the vo2max test etc and those that are faster get more time. 

I'd just like a customized plan and be able to say, today my back aches, how should I adjust?  I can do vdot tests and ftp tests on my own and give numbers and use those zones. I don't think thats a lot to ask for $150/month.

But it could also be a product of where I live. Most folks that do triathlon in this area have a ton of money, and have no problem dropping $1000 on a week training camp for a goal race.  For me, thats basically my race fund for the year.

I don't think you've found the right coach then! For $150 we certainly deliver more than what you are asking for. This is what makes the internet so cool. Your coach doesn't have to live where you do anymore.

'You're 100% right that you can do the tests on your own, I agree with that!

2014-02-26 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Mike thank you for your post. You make a persuasive argument...to a point. I do have a few questions for you and please understand I am not picking on you or coaching. I am genuinely interested in your perspective but I do have a few issues with your argument.

While I understand in your example that $3000/month is not a lot of money to live on, it is an interesting statement but irrelevant as it has nothing to do with value. Many people work jobs at convenience stores or retail who make less than that. Just because it's not enough to live on doesn't mean those jobs should be paying $25/hour. There is a big range between minimum wage and what a doctor makes, the question is where between those numbers should a good coach fall.

Just as you say 'not everyone is coachable' not all 'coaches' can coach. Some indeed do it because they love it, some do it because they can no longer compete and want to stay involved and some do it because they can fool enough people to make enough money to keep doing it. Not picking on coaches here, it's the same in a lot of industries. I agree that the cream will rise to the top but someone has to deal with the curdled milk while the bad ones wash out. So:

How does a triathlete tell the difference between a good coach and a poor one?
How do you articulate your value proposition?
How does one of your athletes measure if you have done a good job?
Can any coach be as effective with a beginner as they can with a MOP or a pro?
Can any coach be as effective with three athletes who each are most deficient in a different one of the three disciplines?

Again I am not trying to be argumentative. As someone who has looked into getting a coach these are the things I struggle with. If you are so inclined I would value your feedback.

2014-02-26 3:56 PM

User image

Ledyard, CT
Originally posted by trigal38

In my case, I don't think I undervalue coaching. It's just that triathlon does not rate that high of a priority in my life in any form at the moment. It is recreation.

^^^ This.

I have other priorities, both related to triathlon and not, that take precedence over coaching. Right now any extra money is going towards buying a new bike to replace the 8 year old Trek 1200 that I'm currently racing on. I'm already devoting 'alot' of money to triathlon between gym membership(s), race entry fees (I think I need to start volunteering), gear purchases, etc... Adding another $100/month (or more) on top of that just isn't in the cards for me.

I completely understand why coaching is expensive and if I had a desire to compete at a higher level I would certainly make the financial adjustments necessary to pay for a coach. If I had a chance at racing at an elite or pro level, and actually "making money" with this sport that would naturally change my priorities a little bit. I'm sure that I could cut some expenses (reduce my cable subscription is the first thing that comes to mind) and be able to cover the cost of coaching with the savings...but I really need to be able to DVR all my shows in HD and be able to watch them from anywhere in the world....ever...
2014-02-26 4:09 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Not everyone but a few folks - I don't take it personally, but when you've had a good coach, you'd know it.

Anyone can self test and adjust zones and read books, but most people are not going to do the hard workouts that they need to do. A hard workout for one person may be 30x30" at VO2 max and for someone else it may be running slow for an hour. It just depends, but having someone to hold you accountable goes a long way.

Thanks for the congrats. That means a lot.

I've had good coaches (and some not so good ones).  Just not in triathlon (not a paid triathlon coach at any rate--have benefitted from the knowledge of many, including you). 

Anyway, don't disagree that having someone to hold you accountable can go a long way.  A good coach can help any athlete (although a good coach for one athlete may, or may not, be a good one for another--not all are flexible enough).  My point was mostly the one that trigal made.  Just because a coach can help, doesn't mean it's something that you should spend your next dollar on.  That depends on your priorities (and how much spending money you have to go around!

2014-02-26 4:13 PM

User image

Pro

Try one. Or two. Or three. The first coach I tried, well, he wasn't all that great. There were a few giant red flags - one was that I had a drill weekend with a PT test scheduled. Drill was canceled during the govt shutdown, and he didn’t alter my training weekend at all. I still ran an all-out two miler because he told me to. I could have had a much more effective training weekend. He also had me doing workouts where I varied my stride a lot – and I told him my hips were sore after, and he gave me the workout again later, with no explanation as to why.

A good coach can tell you the why behind a workout, in my opinion. I've felt crappy going into a workout, and I've told my coach. She responds with why the workout matters and what they key points are - so if I can't execute it as to the plan, I can at least try to hit the main goal of the workout. 

It’s on their own scale. From the athlete perspective: do I get the attention I feel I deserve? Does the coach understand my goals? Do I get regular feedback? Are my workouts interesting, challenging? Am I improving? Do I enjoy my training?

Not any – which is why some focus on pros, some focus on MOP/BOP. As a coach, that’s great for me. I can accept a client I think I can effectively coach, and reject ones that I do not feel that way about. If a pro approached me about coaching, I’d probably just laugh. But if you’re MOP, let’s talk… or BOP, or even FOP at smaller events. If you’re FOP at IM, I’m not the coach you want. I do not have the experience/knowledge to believe I can effectively train you... yet.

Can any coach be as effective with three athletes who each are most deficient in a different one of the three disciplines?

Yes! And that can be more fun, too, for the coach. When athletes have different strengths/deficits, I’ve got room to be creative and I get variability between my athletes. I love writing swim workouts for and doing one on one sessions with new swimmers. I also love when I get a proficient swimmer because I can drop my focus there (send them to master’s, fill in with workouts when needed) and focus more elsewhere. It keeps it interesting for me.  

2014-02-26 4:14 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Originally posted by Stuartap

Mike thank you for your post. You make a persuasive argument...to a point. I do have a few questions for you and please understand I am not picking on you or coaching. I am genuinely interested in your perspective but I do have a few issues with your argument. While I understand in your example that $3000/month is not a lot of money to live on, it is an interesting statement but irrelevant as it has nothing to do with value. Many people work jobs at convenience stores or retail who make less than that. Just because it's not enough to live on doesn't mean those jobs should be paying $25/hour. There is a big range between minimum wage and what a doctor makes, the question is where between those numbers should a good coach fall. Just as you say 'not everyone is coachable' not all 'coaches' can coach. Some indeed do it because they love it, some do it because they can no longer compete and want to stay involved and some do it because they can fool enough people to make enough money to keep doing it. Not picking on coaches here, it's the same in a lot of industries. I agree that the cream will rise to the top but someone has to deal with the curdled milk while the bad ones wash out. So: How does a triathlete tell the difference between a good coach and a poor one? How do you articulate your value proposition? How does one of your athletes measure if you have done a good job? Can any coach be as effective with a beginner as they can with a MOP or a pro? Can any coach be as effective with three athletes who each are most deficient in a different one of the three disciplines? Again I am not trying to be argumentative. As someone who has looked into getting a coach these are the things I struggle with. If you are so inclined I would value your feedback.

I agree with your comments, but your not seeing the point - a coach, with experience, probably can add more value to your life (maybe change your life for the better!) than someone who rings up your milk and bread at the convenience store, correct? Those people aren't paid $50/hr b/c it's not a highly sought after skill. Same as a good car mechanic vs a sub par one. Would you trust a plumber to come into your house and only charge you $25? I'd be pretty weary.

I agree on the curdled milk - I've been through that with products and even coaches who washed out with us. I take who works for us pretty seriously.

To answer your questions:

>>> How their athletes talk about him/her. Do they make a difference? Are they well prepared on race day? Do they understand what they are supposed to do in training and are they taught to execute the race plan on race day? A good coach will have an athlete prepared to do their best.

How do you articulate your value proposition?
??

>>>Completely personal. Some people want to improve every year, some people want to qualify for a specific event. Older athletes may be happy just not slowing down. It depends to be honest.

>>>Absolutely not. It's a different skill set for both. Can someone who coaches a pro, easily coach a beginner? I say no.

>>>I hope so or they shouldn't be coaching triathletes!

2014-02-26 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Mike for the reply. Actually I was seeing your point on the value of a coach. That's why I said that value falls somewhere between minimum wage and a doctor. I think the issue for many people is trying to determine where that is.

If you exclude those who would not or could not pay for a coach they still leaves a large number of triathletes who don't have a coach. I think a big issue is trying to understand value. Just as you weren't sure how to articulate your value proposition I think that is a problem for the profession. With so many circumstances and so many objectives and variable, it is difficult to say what is a fair price for a coach.

If I look at my situation I know my circumstances are quite unique, as a lot of folks are but for varied reasons. I just took up the sport 2 years ago at age 57, way out of shape and way over weight. In my first year I dropped 60# and did my first Sprint. I am a very good swimmer, good cyclist and awful runner. Then last April I was hit by a car and fractured my hip. After two surgeries and 8+ months on crutches I went back on the bike for the first time three days ago.

So as I look at the landscape of coaches, I need help moving from a heal strike to a less impactful running style as my biggest need. I need to lose the weight I put on while down for over 10 months. Do I need a tri coach, a running coach, a dietician or something else. I am extremely comfortable getting my skill level back up in the pool and on the bike.

Again not meaning any disrespect to you or the coaching profession but I have yet to talk with a coach that didn't say "no problem, just the kind of guy I like to work with". I fell like I should say 'Really, exactly how many overweight old farts recovering from major surgery that can't run have you trained in the past'!

You were spot on when you said most people have had coaches in the past. As a competitive swimmer I have had some really good ones and one really bad one. I think I am a reasonable intelligent guy but I have no idea how to find the right person for my circumstances and what is a reasonable price to pay. Obviously no coach has yet met the hurdle and I don't think I could tell you why.
2014-02-26 5:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stuartap Thanks Mike for the reply. Actually I was seeing your point on the value of a coach. That's why I said that value falls somewhere between minimum wage and a doctor. I think the issue for many people is trying to determine where that is. If you exclude those who would not or could not pay for a coach they still leaves a large number of triathletes who don't have a coach. I think a big issue is trying to understand value. Just as you weren't sure how to articulate your value proposition I think that is a problem for the profession. With so many circumstances and so many objectives and variable, it is difficult to say what is a fair price for a coach. If I look at my situation I know my circumstances are quite unique, as a lot of folks are but for varied reasons. I just took up the sport 2 years ago at age 57, way out of shape and way over weight. In my first year I dropped 60# and did my first Sprint. I am a very good swimmer, good cyclist and awful runner. Then last April I was hit by a car and fractured my hip. After two surgeries and 8+ months on crutches I went back on the bike for the first time three days ago. So as I look at the landscape of coaches, I need help moving from a heal strike to a less impactful running style as my biggest need. I need to lose the weight I put on while down for over 10 months. Do I need a tri coach, a running coach, a dietician or something else. I am extremely comfortable getting my skill level back up in the pool and on the bike. Again not meaning any disrespect to you or the coaching profession but I have yet to talk with a coach that didn't say "no problem, just the kind of guy I like to work with". I fell like I should say 'Really, exactly how many overweight old farts recovering from major surgery that can't run have you trained in the past'! You were spot on when you said most people have had coaches in the past. As a competitive swimmer I have had some really good ones and one really bad one. I think I am a reasonable intelligent guy but I have no idea how to find the right person for my circumstances and what is a reasonable price to pay. Obviously no coach has yet met the hurdle and I don't think I could tell you why.

Have you considered Physical Therapy to re-make your run?  Especially if you have had major surgery maybe your insurance would pay for it (some of it).  My oldest daughter had 3 marathons under her belt when she went through a really tough injury period related to her hip flexors.  She spent 2 months with regular physical therapy with the expressed goal of being able to run a marathon again.  She came out of those 2 months with a completely re-made run form.....I call her a "shuffler" now, but she ran a 4:06 marathon after PT and training back up to it.  She's not setting the world on fire with her running, but she runs pain free and nearly as fast as she was pre injury.  Just a thought and I know I have now got off topic of my own topic.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching costs Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Getting a coach.....cost? benefit? Pages: 1 2

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 2837 Posts: 29

2012-09-16 10:27 AM Marvarnett

Cost for Coaching...

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1473 Posts: 10

2009-03-10 5:34 PM JorgeM

Coaches and their cost ?

Started by maubueno
Views: 1825 Posts: 13

2008-09-06 10:30 PM katybug34

Coaching costs

Started by David14
Views: 777 Posts: 3

2005-08-10 1:25 PM TH3_FRB

What's a swim coach cost?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1826 Posts: 25

2005-02-10 9:04 PM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Are organic products worth the extra cost? In terms of nutrition, some research suggests organic foods may have slightly more minerals and antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Nancy Clark
As an athlete who shows responsibility by training hard, you'll miss the boat if you are irresponsible with fueling your hard worked body.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.