It is elitist
I'm afraid of being embarrassed
This is a multiple choice poll.

2014-07-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: You don't play golf? Why not?

Originally posted by pga_mike

Originally posted by the bear

In a word: boring. I've had many friends try to get me to  play over the yeas, to the point of even giving me a set a clubs, but I have never found the appeal. Must be something to it given the number of people who do it, including many of my friends and most of my coworkers. But to me if one were to visit a golf course it would be more exciting to sit and watch the grass grow than to play the game.

You mean it is more boring than riding a bike in Z2 for 6 hours or swimming in a pool for 90 minutes or running 11/mm for 5 hours?

Boring is in the eye of the beholder.

Golf is about being outside, having good company and NOT being at work.  I simply have no one to play with.

2014-07-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I golfed in high school and even have a letter!  It's not because I was any good, all the seniors got them....  Since then, my golfing has tapered off from a few times/year to not in several years. 

The main barrier for me (and my husband) is time.    Not so much the length of time in a vacuum, but in Minnesota we only have so many nice days for doing things outside.    If it's golfing weather it's also bike riding weather.   I will only play 9 holes, and prefer the par-3 courses, so the length of play and cost aren't a big factor.    If you wanted to encourage someone like me to play at a "real" course, you could offer shorter rounds and discounts on green fees.  I would also benefit from lessons and wonder about the possibility of finding a golf class where I can get some stroke/technique help but not pay for private lessons.

My clubs are from Target and they are the original set my dad bought for my golf team experience, back in 1992 I suppose.   I have bought a new putter and bag over time, but the original pink women's starter set has done the trick. 

2014-07-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Master
Memphis, TN
It's a great game but I don't have time for it anymore. In college I used to play at least once a week and got pretty decent at it but having kids, a job, and other athletic activities don't leave any time to get away for half a day to play a round anymore. I haven't played in about 2 years. I miss it sometimes but not that much. Every once in a while I'll take my son to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls.
2014-07-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

over a barrier
I can play for about 3 holes and then get bored out of my mind. Last time I moved just left my clubs at the old place, no interest in ever playing again.

I enjoy sports that are physically challenging vs highly developed skill.

2014-07-17 4:04 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

In a word: boring. I've had many friends try to get me to  play over the yeas, to the point of even giving me a set a clubs, but I have never found the appeal. Must be something to it given the number of people who do it, including many of my friends and most of my coworkers. But to me if one were to visit a golf course it would be more exciting to sit and watch the grass grow than to play the game.

You mean it is more boring than riding a bike in Z2 for 6 hours or swimming in a pool for 90 minutes or running 11/mm for 5 hours?

"well your hobby is boring too" is not a good sales pitch, mike!!!

2014-07-17 5:52 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jmcconne

I like that triathletes think that golf is expensive.  I have never spent over $100 for a round of golf (Excluding tournaments, where I could make money).  However, I have spent multiples of that for races without thinking it was that bad.

The difference for me is that I can run/bike/swim 6 days a week and the only cost is my $40 a month gym fee. Then I'll do a race once a month or so (I only do Oly's and sprints). That means for at most $140 a month I get to do my hobby about 24 times. How often can I play golf during a month for $140?

x2 a round of golf would be like a race in terms of fees and time investment. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just to practice you also have to pay fees at the driving range and such - correct? Or can you just walk onto a (public) golf course and practice chipping (is that what it's called?)?

In contrast, in swim/bike/run - once you pay the high barrier fees like purchasing a bike/helmet and running shoes - you can practice an unlimited number of times at zero cost. Big difference. In my head at least.

x3 I work at the Y so my membership is free. I volunteer for local races so I don't pay for travel and race for a significant discount (often free).

But regardless of being boring or expensive I just suck so it is frustrating, stressful and makes me angry. Swimming/biking/running are relaxing and help me relieve stress.

2014-07-17 7:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by mehaner

In a word: boring. I've had many friends try to get me to  play over the years, to the point of even giving me a set a clubs, but I have never found the appeal. Must be something to it given the number of people who do it, including many of my friends and most of my coworkers. But to me if one were to visit a golf course it would be more exciting to sit and watch the grass grow than to play the game.

X2 with meh here.

In answer to your (rhetorical) question, yes I consider golf to be tremendously more boring than the things you list, which is why I do those things instead of golfing. Which is essentially the question you posed in the title of this thread. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. 

2014-07-17 7:32 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
One of the coolest things about golf, to me at least, is the dichotomy of your game from round to round or hole to hole or just from swing to swing. First hole you can birdie, second hole you triple bogey and have absolutely but everything feels exactly the same. To strive for that perfection and reasoning is enjoyable to me, but I can see how it's infuriating to others. I love to troubleshoot things so if I slice it on the first hole I know I probably came in steep and have to shallow out my swing or change some other things. Club face orientation, swing path, spin, all the physics behind it, it's amazing to me, similar to body position in the water or aero on a bike.

2014-07-17 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Love golf.  Used to play all the time.  I lived 2 minutes (literally) from a golf course growing up, so I'd play whenever I got the chance, even if it was sneaking in 4 or 5 holes before dinner.  I caddied as a kid, and got a "real" job on the grounds crew when I was in high school.  I played on my HS team and tried to play as much as I could after that.  

Fast forward 25 years and the wife, 50 hour a week job, 15 hour a week training schedule, and the jam packed weekends fitting in the rest of life has pretty much eaten all of my time.  I still play in the random tournament here or there but my game has gone to he!! and when I get the chance to play now its more for the beer, cigars, and camaraderie than anything else.

2014-07-17 9:15 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

First off, I don't have any depth perception. I only see out of one eye at a time, and was born that way (it is called strabismus). Anyways, when I look at people on a golf course, it just looks like a boring beer fest. I know that's not everyone's experience or purpose, but it's just not high energy enough for my tastes... even if I COULD hit the ball. Ha! 

2014-07-17 10:55 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

In a word: boring. I've had many friends try to get me to  play over the years, to the point of even giving me a set a clubs, but I have never found the appeal. Must be something to it given the number of people who do it, including many of my friends and most of my coworkers. But to me if one were to visit a golf course it would be more exciting to sit and watch the grass grow than to play the game.

Golf is expensive to play, and unless you are rushing through the game and/or only play 9 holes, you are gone from your house for 6 to 8 hours, unless you live on a golf course.  I like the game, but have too many fun hobbies that keep me too busy right now.  I would rather play music and build (weld) things for my art shows (hobby), and then of course their is the family bike rides on some trails in the area and the occasional training.  Let alone the volunteer work for different events around the area.  If I quit playing music and quit making art, I would then have time to have a golf game.  Not a good one, but then again, I make money playing music as my hobby and I make money with my art as my hobby.

I don't think golf is boring, but it definitely is not the most exciting sport in the world.  I think I read earlier in the thread that someone said the courses are not setup with enough bathrooms, and that is a definite issue and most every course I have played in the 4 or 5 states that I have played golf.  But then again, in most cases it would have to be either a porta-potty style, which most women don't want to use anyway, or they would have to spend thousands of dollars on a septic system and running water in the middle of nowhere, which is not easy and very expensive.

X2 with meh here.

In answer to your (rhetorical) question, yes I consider golf to be tremendously more boring than the things you list, which is why I do those things instead of golfing. Which is essentially the question you posed in the title of this thread. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. 

2014-07-22 5:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by flip18436572

Golf is expensive to play, and unless you are rushing through the game and/or only play 9 holes, you are gone from your house for 6 to 8 hours, unless you live on a golf course.  I like the game, but have too many fun hobbies that keep me too busy right now.  I would rather play music and build (weld) things for my art shows (hobby), and then of course their is the family bike rides on some trails in the area and the occasional training.  Let alone the volunteer work for different events around the area.  If I quit playing music and quit making art, I would then have time to have a golf game.  Not a good one, but then again, I make money playing music as my hobby and I make money with my art as my hobby.

I don't think golf is boring, but it definitely is not the most exciting sport in the world.  I think I read earlier in the thread that someone said the courses are not setup with enough bathrooms, and that is a definite issue and most every course I have played in the 4 or 5 states that I have played golf.  But then again, in most cases it would have to be either a porta-potty style, which most women don't want to use anyway, or they would have to spend thousands of dollars on a septic system and running water in the middle of nowhere, which is not easy and very expensive.

X2 with meh here.

My point was that EVERY HOBBY appears boring to an outside eye.  I used to fly fish every week.  People would tell me that they'd rather watch paint dry.  I played tennis as a kid.  Same court, no matter where I went.  ZZZ.  Deer hunting?  Archery? Knitting? Quilting? Scrap booking? Come on!

The only sports that most of us can probably agree are not boring are X-Game style extreme sports.

Edited by pga_mike 2014-07-22 5:37 AM
2014-07-22 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Finally responding. Lifelong golfer. Started at age 11, worked on a course during high school, played varsity all 4 years. Eventually got down to about a 10 handicap. My wife plays also and we belong to a country club (not a snob-a-torium, golf only). I found myself away from the game once I started with tris 5 years ago due to time. This year, I made an effort to get out more. One side benefit of tri training is that my game is really strong these days.

Here is my list of pet peeves related to golf:

1. Pace of play. My wife and I can walk 18 in 3.5 hours. Most people let us play through. but anything over 4:15-20 is too slow.
2. Women still treated poorly. Rarely will a foursome of men allow us to play through because that woman will slow us down. The collective groan when a foursome arrives at the first tee and sees they are behind us. Then my wife stripes one down the middle and we get the "wow, she can actually play" comment.
3. People who do not fix their ball marks on greens or replace divots in fairway. I want to strangle them.
4. Weekend rounds requiring a cart. We used to play a regular Saturday game on a public course. Had to take a cart. They would not even let us pay the cart fee and walk.

I am sure there are more. I would agree that it is hard to master the game, especially if you do not play consistently. The cost to me is a non-factor. You can spend as little or as much as you want, just like tri.
2014-07-22 10:16 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Little Harbour
Not enough time..summer is racing season here in Canada along with camping..SCUBA...and the occasional softball game.
2014-07-22 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Time and cost. Honestly, I could make time to fit in a round on the weekends but that would be it. So then it comes down to cost which I'm not shelling out $150+/round to play. To compound all that, I grew up playing 7 days a week, lived on the golf course. I became pretty good at the game, went to school for golf, pursued a career in the industry (not for long) and then left it all. To play any more than once in a while, here and there I'd really have to get back into it and get good again to have enjoyment. So now we're talking playing multiple rounds a week, range time, short game time, teaching time, all those associated costs, etc. Yep, time and money. 

2014-07-22 1:19 PM

User image

I play about 3-5 times a year.  I used to be a much more avid golfer...playing around 3-5 times a month, and going to the driving range just as many times to practice but it wasn't fun anymore.  I got to the point where I could shoot in the low to mid 80's on most days, and into the 70's if I was really on it or on an easier course.  But it required so much practice and became frustrating when things wouldn't go right.  

So now that endurance sports take up most of my time, golf is pure relaxation for me.  I still keep score, but triple bogey's sort of amuse me now instead of making me want to throw clubs.  I'd love to play more like 6-9 times a year, but because I'm not one who wants to play consistently...it's hard to find 3 other friends who want to play when I do.  I've done the solo walk on thing in the past...but that's not really why I would play anymore.

2014-07-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I am with you Jason re:frustration. I walked 9 with my wife last week after work. Beautiful night, hitting it well. Shot 43 but took 20 putts. 6-7 years ago, I would have went straight to the practice green and putted until dark. Instead, I said "wow, I really sucked at putting tonight dear" and went home and poured myself a double.
2014-07-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I can understand the attraction to some people, but I can't think of a sport I'd be less likely to get involved in. I'm a complete klutz, have a limited income, and am way too high-energy for a game that progresses so slowly. Thus, endurance sports--minimal coordination required, and at least running is cheap. If I weren't such a klutz, I'd probably enjoy soccer. Not golf. If I just want to walk around in the fresh air, I'll go for a walk or (in Oregon) a hike.
2014-07-23 11:08 PM

User image

In my job, I am tasked with growing the game.  What would make you play (or play more) golf?

One of the things I disliked and I'm the exception is having to use a cart or courses where the green tee was a real hike and necessitated a cart. I think most of those required one anyway. Favorite Course all things considered was Papago Park in Phoenix/Scottsdale. long course and you could walk it!

Not sure that's the major reason I don't play,,,,,,,, I started doing crack, I mean triathlons,,,,, meh, not much difference.

2014-07-23 11:37 PM

User image

Pro

In my job, I am tasked with growing the game.  What would make you play (or play more) golf?

Free beer......for life

2014-07-24 6:27 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I can understand the attraction to some people, but I can't think of a sport I'd be less likely to get involved in. I'm a complete klutz, have a limited income, and am way too high-energy for a game that progresses so slowly. Thus, endurance sports--minimal coordination required, and at least running is cheap. If I weren't such a klutz, I'd probably enjoy soccer. Not golf. If I just want to walk around in the fresh air, I'll go for a walk or (in Oregon) a hike.

It was Mark Twain who appropriately described golf as "a good walk spoiled."

2014-07-24 12:15 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO

Somehow turn it into mountain biking.
2014-07-25 8:29 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I really enjoy golf despite all the cursing it causes me. My wife and I belong to a local club so we play a couple rounds a week. I work my training around it. Many times I drive separate and go mountain biking afterwards (it's right by the trail head). It's an awesome way of spending time with her since she doesn't run, bike or swim.

If I wasn't a member somewhere I doubt I would play. Every time I go to a public course, they pack the tee times so close that it takes FOREVER to play a round.

I have noticed a trend with different tee boxes. Even the course I belong too as Red (women), Gold (seniors), White (wussies), Blue (less of a wussie) and Black (real golfers). That's like shortening a race just so you appear to go faster.

Paying for a membership is expensive, but it's so awesome just to hang with my wife and talk, curse at white ball, talk, drink, curse, curse curse curse....etc.
2014-07-26 7:16 AM
in reply to: guppie58

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I play a little, a few rounds a year. Love the game. Don't play more because of lack of time. Much quicker to put on running shoes and go for for a half hour run (or an hour) than to get in the car, drive 20 minutes, play for 4 or 5 hours and drive back.
Cost and people to play with are not a problem as I work in the business.

2014-08-04 6:10 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Franklin, TN

I play a handful to times a year now..quit my club about a year ago because it wasn't worth the monthly cost to play a couple times a month.  For 25+ years, I've been a single digit handicap but in recent years my skill set had eroded to where the game wasn't as much fun for me.  I took up running, then triathlons on a whim a couple of years ago and I'm enjoying the physical challenges of the sport.  Even though I'll turn 55 this year, I don't think I've reach my potential.  I'll get back into the game (golf) more down the road, but, right now,  I'm having too much fun figuring out how to get my times down in S,B & R.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » You don't play golf? Why not? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Cheating at golf without playing the game.

Started by peby
Views: 944 Posts: 9

2010-03-23 9:18 AM moondawg14

Played my 1st round of golf Pages: 1 2

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1894 Posts: 26

2014-07-11 7:24 AM Jtiger

Anybody play disc golf?

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 1043 Posts: 19

2008-05-16 4:29 PM globalchaos

Anyone play golf Pages: 1 2