BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-08-31 7:11 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by Atlantia

Quick update:
I've mentioned a couple times through the years about my tiny grandma. She had been so ill for so long, and on Tuesday she finally passed away. It is a great relief that she is no longer in pain.
I will be driving down to Pensacola FL for the services and to help with cleaning out the house. My mom waffles between saying she can't wait to see me and talking about how anxious she is that I might get the virus. There are no right answers about whether to go or not.

RIP Grandma.

Just do what you can to minimize the risk. It'll be ok.

2020-08-31 7:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Tomorrow is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

I have a conference call at 11 but I'm hoping it's short so I can make it.

I've missed you guys.
2020-09-01 3:16 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

Ah, shoot, I missed this!  I wasn't in top shape for a video meetup anyway.  I'm still trying to shake 'the crud' (no, not COVID).  Today is better than yesterday, feeling optimistic.

2020-09-02 4:42 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by melbo55

Ah, shoot, I missed this!  I wasn't in top shape for a video meetup anyway.  I'm still trying to shake 'the crud' (no, not COVID).  Today is better than yesterday, feeling optimistic.

Must be the time of year, I've got either a summer cold or some seasonal allergies. I feel like I can't really go anywhere since some of the symptoms are "Covid like".
2020-09-02 8:36 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by melbo55

Must be the time of year, I've got either a summer cold or some seasonal allergies. I feel like I can't really go anywhere since some of the symptoms are "Covid like".

my riding and hiking buddy has a sinus infection - I mean it's CLEARLY just a sinus infection (went to the dr, feeling better on atbs etc) but still - people definitely look at you twice!

Feel better all!
2020-09-02 8:46 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
We had a sad thing happen here. A 16 year old boy was training for the local triathlon, when he was run over by a truck. It happened about 200 yards from my civil office. I saw him ride by. He was at a crosswalk and a car was blocking the intersection. The car backed up and the boy rode through the crosswalk. A truck was making a right hand turn at the same time and he never saw the rider. He was drug about 100 feet under the truck. The boy was one of those great kids. Involved in his church, and he volunteered at the Air Force museum. It is a horrible tragedy.

2020-09-02 9:43 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Master
Oh Jim, what a terrible thing. I'm so sorry you and your community have to deal with such a horrific loss. Sending love.
2020-09-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Expert
The neighboring school district had a 14 year old boy on their cross country team get run over this week too. He was in a group run and a car was in an accident and lost control. We are having a tough week here.
2020-09-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella The neighboring school district had a 14 year old boy on their cross country team get run over this week too. He was in a group run and a car was in an accident and lost control. We are having a tough week here.

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about this.  What a week :-/

2020-09-03 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella The neighboring school district had a 14 year old boy on their cross country team get run over this week too. He was in a group run and a car was in an accident and lost control. We are having a tough week here.

Oh man, I'm sorry for these horrible events. Their families must be devasted. 

2020-09-03 8:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella We had a sad thing happen here. A 16 year old boy was training for the local triathlon, when he was run over by a truck. It happened about 200 yards from my civil office. I saw him ride by. He was at a crosswalk and a car was blocking the intersection. The car backed up and the boy rode through the crosswalk. A truck was making a right hand turn at the same time and he never saw the rider. He was drug about 100 feet under the truck. The boy was one of those great kids. Involved in his church, and he volunteered at the Air Force museum. It is a horrible tragedy.
Wow, that is awful.  So very sorry to hear about this young man and the runner that was hit in your area, too.  Very sad.

2020-09-03 12:52 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

The neighboring school district had a 14 year old boy on their cross country team get run over this week too. He was in a group run and a car was in an accident and lost control. We are having a tough week here.

Both of those suck - so sorry.

2020-09-04 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm so sorry to see this. What a rough week it's been.

2020-09-07 6:40 PM
in reply to: #5272226

User image

Expert
I hope everyone had a great weekend. I’ve decided since my summer training plan failed miserably and I have no fall races, I’m moving right into my winter plan. More strength work and a solid base. Let’s see how the best laid plans go and how loud God laughs.
2020-09-08 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by JBacarella

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I’ve decided since my summer training plan failed miserably and I have no fall races, I’m moving right into my winter plan. More strength work and a solid base. Let’s see how the best laid plans go and how loud God laughs.

A great idea, and one I plan to steal!
Also, biggest hugs to you after a really tragic week for you and your neighboring community. <3
2020-09-08 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Happy Tuesday, all! Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes for my family after the passing of tiny grandma. It was a really beautiful service and burial at Fort Barrancas, complete with a Blue Angel flyover. It was amazing to see literally everyone stop as the processional drove by. People took their hats off, everyone at the NAS saluted...it was just an amazing tribute to a woman who gave 20 years of her life as a civilian to the military.
Followed by loads of horrendous family drama, as funerals always seem to be. Good to be home, and nice to be back in the slightly more normal swing of things.
J and I are doing a self quarantine now, as that part of FL is really not following any kind of mask or social distance policy. And in some cases at the rest areas, people are purposefully flouting them. I'm still glad we chose to drive instead of fly, though.

2020-09-08 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I hope everyone had a great weekend. I’ve decided since my summer training plan failed miserably and I have no fall races, I’m moving right into my winter plan. More strength work and a solid base. Let’s see how the best laid plans go and how loud God laughs.

That's the plan i've been trying to follow and God keeps laughing! I hope He laughs a bit less loud for you 

2020-09-08 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Happy Tuesday, all! Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes for my family after the passing of tiny grandma. It was a really beautiful service and burial at Fort Barrancas, complete with a Blue Angel flyover. It was amazing to see literally everyone stop as the processional drove by. People took their hats off, everyone at the NAS saluted...it was just an amazing tribute to a woman who gave 20 years of her life as a civilian to the military. Followed by loads of horrendous family drama, as funerals always seem to be. Good to be home, and nice to be back in the slightly more normal swing of things. J and I are doing a self quarantine now, as that part of FL is really not following any kind of mask or social distance policy. And in some cases at the rest areas, people are purposefully flouting them. I'm still glad we chose to drive instead of fly, though.

How cool to get the flyover! Sorry you had to deal with our Florida stupid stuff.

2020-09-08 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I hope everyone had a great weekend. I’ve decided since my summer training plan failed miserably and I have no fall races, I’m moving right into my winter plan. More strength work and a solid base. Let’s see how the best laid plans go and how loud God laughs.

I'm still doing my century bike plan. I'll have a few weeks off and start my winter plan around Halloween.  I'm taking a week or two off from yoga.  I did 90 days or so and I need a break.  I've memorized some of the workouts!

The weather has been better for the past few days.  I'm missing my riding peeps though. Ah well. This too shall pass.

2020-09-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Last year I did the sprint distance race at the Trifest for MS in Bentonville, Arkansas.  That series has a kid's race.  It was the second race that I had been to with my family with kids races.  My daughters' eyes really lit up when they saw the other kids racing so I got this idea of doing a Kids Triathlon Camp in town in August of 2020 leading up to the Trifest for MS 2-1/2 hours away and to the Active Okie Kids Triathlon in Muskogee, OK an hour away.  Well....there was no kids triathlon camp.  None of the outdoor public pools in town even had water in them this summer but my girls did do the Trifest for MS over the weekend and want to do the Active Okie kids Triathlon this coming weekend.  My 8-year-old couldn't ride a bike when they started to train for the races 6 weeks ago but in now doing great on a bike.  My 6-year-old did the race with training wheels and we got her a wetsuit that had a life vest build into it because she can't swim on her own. So they are extreme beginners but had a blast.

Here is their social distancing and required face masks at the start.

The Transition Crew

Finisher photos.

I think before next year's races they want to learn how to swim? :-)

P.S.  I didn't race at this event.  I wanted this to be all about the kids.  With my Oct 10th Olympic Race canceled I will not have any triathlons this year.  I got to do two live Duathlons, a homemade Duathlon, and two Virtual Duathlons though.  2020 was the year of the Duathlon.  My last race last September had the swim canceled so it was a Duathlon too.  Last year's Trifest for MS was my last Triathlon so it has now been a full year of duathlons since my last triathlon.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-09-08 8:58 AM
2020-09-08 8:51 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!  Go Mini Manatees! Go!

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Last year I did the sprint distance race at the Trifest for MS in Bentonville, Arkansas.  That series has a kid's race.  It was the second race that I had been to with my family with kids races.  My daughters' eyes really lit up when they saw the other kids racing so I got this idea of doing a Kids Triathlon Camp in town in August of 2020 leading up to the Trifest for MS 2-1/2 hours away and to the Active Okie Kids Triathlon in Muskogee, OK an hour away.  Well....there was no kids triathlon camp.  None of the outdoor public pools in town even had water in them this summer but my girls did do the Trifest for MS over the weekend and want to do the Active Okie kids Triathlon this coming weekend.  My 8-year-old couldn't ride a bike when they started to train for the races 6 weeks ago but in now doing great on a bike.  My 6-year-old did the race with training wheels and we got her a wetsuit that had a life vest build into it because she can't swim on her own. So they are extreme beginners but had a blast.

The Transition Crew

Finisher photos.

2020-09-08 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The Transition Crew

Finisher photos.

P.S.  I didn't race at this event.  With my Oct 10th Olympic Race canceled I will not have any triathlons this year.  I go to do two live Duathlons, a homemade Duathlon, and two Virtual Duathlons though.  2020 was the year of the Duathlon.  My last race last September had the swim canceled so it was a Duathlon too.  Last year's Trifest for MS was my last Triathlon so it has now been a full year of duathlons since my last triathlon.

Congrats to your girls! It looks like they had a great time!

2020-09-08 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

The Transition Crew

Finisher photos.

P.S.  I didn't race at this event.  I wanted this to be all about the kids.  With my Oct 10th Olympic Race canceled I will not have any triathlons this year.  I got to do two live Duathlons, a homemade Duathlon, and two Virtual Duathlons though.  2020 was the year of the Duathlon.  My last race last September had the swim canceled so it was a Duathlon too.  Last year's Trifest for MS was my last Triathlon so it has now been a full year of duathlons since my last triathlon.

Mini Manatees are Best Manatees. So cute, and definitely kicking tail and taking names!
2020-09-08 3:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

The Transition Crew

Finisher photos.

So adorable, congratulations, girls!

2020-09-08 3:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Happy Tuesday, all! Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes for my family after the passing of tiny grandma. It was a really beautiful service and burial at Fort Barrancas, complete with a Blue Angel flyover. It was amazing to see literally everyone stop as the processional drove by. People took their hats off, everyone at the NAS saluted...it was just an amazing tribute to a woman who gave 20 years of her life as a civilian to the military. Followed by loads of horrendous family drama, as funerals always seem to be. Good to be home, and nice to be back in the slightly more normal swing of things. J and I are doing a self quarantine now, as that part of FL is really not following any kind of mask or social distance policy. And in some cases at the rest areas, people are purposefully flouting them. I'm still glad we chose to drive instead of fly, though.
That is so wonderful that tiny grandma could have a proper sendoff and Blue Angels, wow!  Take care.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127