Tricalifornia
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 58s
Overall Rank = 202/1600
Age Group = f30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/106
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 AM!! OUCH! washed my face and brushed my teeth, had a little coffee and tried to eat a PB&J on the way to the race - I had BAD race jitters!! Like the WORST I've EVER had I think. My stomach was in knots. I didn't sleep well, waking up at 11pm, 2:30, 3:00, URGH. Then I went to the transition area, racked my bike and dropped off my swim finish bag. Got on a bus and rode to the boat area - tried to eat a little more. Used the porta potties and put my wetsuit 1/2 way on. Then they loaded us up on the boat and the morning began!!! It was SOOOO cool to be out in the boat at "the Rock". Looked around to see my landmarks and such. Then it was go time, so I finished a Hammer bar (FINALLY able to eat a little) drank some more water and dropped my other bag off before jumping off the boat!!!!
Event warmup:

WHAT warm up. I did a few stretches, but in the craziness that surrounds this race - there was NO warmup!
Swim
  • 33m 22s
  • 2640 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

They told us the current was strong and it would be a FAST swim. They told the faster swimmers to cheat right and slowers to cheat left. I started out right in the middle, but I must have swam straight for too long because I ended up too far left (too conservative) before turning downstream towards the swim exit. I know it cost me some time, but all in all considering the chop and the salt water and the scenery that I COULD NOT take my eyes off - I thought it was JUST FINE :) I swallowed a bit of water in some of the wavier areas. I have to admit, it was a little overwhelming! The other funny thing was that I was NOT cold when I jumped in! It was actually much warmer out in the bay and got colder as I got close to shore! Thought that was odd...
What would you do differently?:

Pre swim the course :) Not much else would have helped really except MAYBE just sighting more aggressively or staying with the main pack. I really was sighting where they told us and somehow swam a little too long.
Transition 1
  • 05m 53s
Comments:

This included about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile run to the transition area. I opted to put shoes on - I think that was a WISE choice. I did run right past my shoes and had to double back. Getting the shoes on was fine, but getting the wetsuit in the bag was tough! I was glad I had done so many of the short runs out of the water. I passed MANY people on that little jaunt in my running shoes. Then I dumped those for the bike shoes and hit the transition exit with my bike. It was SOOOO crowded at the exit that I couldn't do a running mount anyway.

Not much, maybe just not run by my bag. This was a respectable transition - not the fastest in my AG, but not far from it either.
Bike
  • 58m 55s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Yeah! I was under an hour!!! That was my mark I was shooting for :) Started out smooth and knew I had about 2 miles before the first climb, so I just found a rythm and took a few sips of Heed. Hit the hills and tried to keep cadence up. I was still warm compared to the ocean, but it was pretty cold out and at some point, I noticed my feet were numb. It was tough on the descents because it was SO crowded and the road was somewhat narrow. Seemed like every hill had a turn too. I tried not to brake unless I needed to, but I did it a LOT! On the way back, the hills seemed steeper, but not too bad. I saved some juice for the last hill and after I hammered over that I knew it was down then flat. I took in 2 bottles of Heed and 2.5 hammer gels. Seemed about right.

Follow through some of the hills better. Get better position?? It just seemed that I couldn't ever get away from people and I was constantly worried about passing, blocking, drafting etc.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I got a little hung up after dismount - it was a longish run with the bike as my transition spot was kinda far and I couldn't get around the crowd - again... Then I almost forgot my visor and had to turn back to get it after nearly knocking my bike off the rack. Not bad, but not stellar either. I think I was 5th or 6th fastest on each transition where I am usually in the top few in that catagory. Again, no complaints, just not my usual lightning :)

relax, not worry and pass the slower people BEFORE going into transition :)
Run
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 8 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically it goes like this 2 mile fast, flat warmup - then NARROW HILLY paths where you are CRUNCHED to one side running up while the pros are FLYING down the other side! For the first 2 miles my feet were TOTALLY numb. My stomache was a little iffy, so I just tried to run smooth and get it out before the hills. After a mile I was fine and picked it up a bit. I got to see Andy Potts in the lead followed by 2 guys that I didn't recognize then Matt Reed. I also saw Cam Widoff before the Ladies started coming - I was shocked to see LEanda Cave leading the field after Becky Lavelle had been leading the run. She was followed by Lexi Waddell and Jo Lawn before Becky was around. Anyway sharing the path, then the crazy SHORT (I had to duck) tunnel. Then more crazy narrow path and stairs (did I mention the SEVERAL sets of stairs??) Then finally to the top of the hill and down to the beach - of SOFT sand. I went down to the hard sand then back on the soft stuff for the turn around and then saw it looming - the infamous sand stairs!! It was looming. I tried to relax leading up to it, but it was more soft sand on the approach, so I had to muscle through that. At this point I was glad to be through the halfway point, but still feeling pretty damned good except for the fact that my shoes were JAMMED with sand - this came back to haunt me on the downhill where my toes werecrunching into the sand with every stop and practically rubbed raw. I got 1/2 way up and finally looked up to my "OH SHIT I'm only HALF way up!" Then I walked a little and pulled myself with the handrail a little. Then I saw 2 girls with "32" on thier calves - SCREW THAT! I RAN the rest of the way and put them to bed :) The awful thing is that once you hit the top of the actual ladder portion then there is more SAND and more STAIRS!! WHOA. Just near the top of that there were clif shot bloks and I grabbed some and pushed over the top of the last hill to the water station. I knew how narrow it was about to become so I picked off another gal in my AG then a few others to put some space between us. Then I had to stay with the flow down the stairs and on the super narrow crazy part. Once I hit the bottom, I felt great. I don't know if it was a runner's high or what, but I felt great and felt like my form was good and I just lit up. I passed 2 more girls in my AG - later ladies! And I ran with this guy for a mile or so before toasting him too. I honestly felt great. THIS was my victory lap. I had no idea of place, but I also knew that my bike split was good and my run was going to be DAMNED close to an hour. I figured if I was under 1:02 I was smoking. I honestly thought I would have been happy with 8' miles. Well, I saw my family screaming at me and I headed for the final half mile with gusto. I was so happy, smiling, and the sun FINALLY came out. I finally felt like a runner on those last few miles. Form was dialed in, I was not tired, I was pushing pretty hard and I was keeping up and passing pretty much everyone around - even the men.

Nothing. This was a GREAT run for me!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate some food. checked the official results and enjoyed the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First time on the course. Not much else!

Event comments:

I have to say I will do everything possible to do this race again and again. It was fun, challenging and overall just amazing. The run is SO great - it kinda makes me want to try some Xterra races! Tri-Cal events are always well run, tons of support, tons of goodies, plenty of drink and gel stations and they have a gem with this course. I LOVED it. It was everything I hoped it would be - and my expectations were high!

Last updated: 2007-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:22 | 2640 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/106
Overall: 258/1600
Performance: Good
Suit: Super Full
Course: From Alcatraz island to the yacht club at marina green!!! It was definately intimidating and I started towards the back of my wave. They basically chip time you from the time you exit the boat until you hit the mats at shore.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:55 | 18 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/106
Overall: 263/1600
I BROKE an HOUR!!!!!
Wind: Some
Course: Flat by chrissy field, then up towards the bridge and up to Sea Cliff, down to the great highway, then up to Golden Gate Park then back downto the highway and back UP towards sea cliff (UGH) then the final descent and fast flat finish to MArina Green
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:01:20 | 08 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/106
Overall: 0/1600
I didn't wear my GARMIN or even a HRM, so I have NO idea what my splits or HR was, but I am sure they were just fine :) I've decided if I ever wear one on a race again, I will hide it so I can't look at it. Running by feel was GREAT! I'm sure I was near my breakpoint SEVERAL times, but guess what - it was FINE!!
Course: WHOA - where to start with the course description - AWESOME, challenging, fun, crazy, and more crazy! See run comments for more...
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

I know this is a long RR, but I still didn't even cram in all of the ups, down, fun and excitement that is this race.  I met SO many different, cool and interesting people!  I hope I can do this race again!!!

And by the way, I made the top 10 sandladder challenge list!!!!!!  :)

Edited by juliapurr 2007-06-03 6:52 PM

2007-06-03 7:10 PM
in reply to: #827484

User image

Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
You are amazing!! I can't wait to get the play by play when you get back and also watch the race on T. V. Way to go--rock star!!!

Edited by serrotta 2007-06-03 7:23 PM
2007-06-03 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Good job Julia.  Very interesting to read and gives me an idea of the race..that I recently put in my long term goals! :-)
2007-06-03 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Wow! Great job on a tough course!
2007-06-03 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you had a wonderful race. Congratulations!
2007-06-03 9:35 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Congratulations on a great race.  We were there with our daughter (kmarzano) and she said the same thing ... she would love to do this event again.  You are SO fast!

2007-06-03 9:41 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I thought your RR was too short, I got to the end of it and wanted to read more..

WOW !!! this sounds like such an incredible race and you did great on it
2007-06-03 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Awesome race!! What a great finish time. I did it too this year. I enjoyed the course about forty minutes longer than you did though (heh heh heh). It really was amazing and I hope I get to go back as well. Great job.
2007-06-03 10:52 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Woohoo!  I'm so glad you had a good time!  Way to pass all those chicas in your AG!
2007-06-04 7:03 AM

User image

Grafton, WI
Too Funny!  Way to go Julia!  You make me really want to get out there! 
2007-06-04 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Julia,

You Rock!!!  That sounds like a great race and you kicked it's butt...   Congrats.

2007-06-04 9:21 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Fantastic!  You killed it!  Congrats on a super race!
2007-06-04 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
What a fantastic race!  You smoked it on every leg of the event, and to finish the run feeling that good is awesome.  Nice to have one where it all comes together, huh?  Yep, that race is definitely on the short list.
2007-06-04 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Screw the show, that was an amazing race! Sounds like the earlier tune-up races paid off and everything came together just right. Great job!
2007-06-04 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Awesome job!  As I said before, you need to change the title of your blog to "On Your Left!"

Your enthusiasm is contagious!

2007-06-04 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Great race and good to see that it exceeded your expectations. You were flying through all of the legs, but I think that pace on the run - through a tight trail, loose sand, sand stairs, and more stairs - is really flying. Great job!

2007-06-04 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
I loved the race too. Boy you are smok'n fast! You had an excellent race!
2007-06-05 9:33 AM

User image

Expert

Abso-freaking-lutely incredible!!!!  Looks like things really worked out well.  Fantastic race w/ now where to look and say "well I really could have done better there."  You kicked everywhere!

2007-06-05 10:17 AM

I'm totally in awe of you!!
2007-06-05 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
YAY Julia!  Way to totally kick butt and take names!  You are awesome.
2007-06-05 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Great race and report.  8th out of 106 is AWESOME.  My feet were numb off the bike too, and I also thought the trail running was fun.

2007-06-06 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You nailed the race were fast all the way around and ran to finish strong with good form after picking off many in your AG!

Awesome race....top 10 sandladder challenge.

You rock Julia! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed