United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 13s
Overall Rank = 45/288
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/38
Pre-race routine:

Since this is close to home, I stayed at home the night before and just got up a bit earlier to drive to the race ( about 45 min drive ).

I had bike checked in the day before, and already picked up my packet, so I just needed to setup my gear and get my timing chip on race morning.

Had coffee
Event warmup:

Ran a quick warmup, just to get the body loose. Maybe 5 minutes.

Got in a bit of swim warmup, again about 5 minutes. It's a 1/2, so I'm not redlining it from the start, so being loose is more important than being truly warmed up.
Swim
  • 34m 7s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim start was a bit disorganized, though to be fair it did start promptly at 7:00 AM. I should be been getting into position sooner, instead of waiting for RD to give warnings. So I got caught way at the back of the start and had to work my way forward through the pack.

There was some contact, but a lot less than I was expecting, and not much at all once we rounded the first turn buoy.

The mass start also made it very easy to draft. I sat on feet just about the whole race, so I had a fairly relaxed swim. I didn't push very hard, just kept a smooth, long stroke going. Resisted urge to redline it on the swim. I did bridge up once to sit on the back of a larger group when the pack I was in started thinning out about midway through.

Some weeds on the outside of the course, but if you stayed real close to the buoy line they weren't too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Follow the posted schedule, not wait for the RD to announce when to get into position.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Fast T1. Suit got stuck on ankles again, but I was expecting it. No matter how much I step and pull I can never get it off. It just stretches. I just need a new suit anyway.

Not much, this went pretty quick. Time includes the run up from the beach to T area, and there's no avoiding that.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.83 mile/hr
Comments:

A solid bike. I love the B2. It was such a sweet machine to be riding, and I did her proud out there. :)

I'm running a lot tighter/cleaner bike setup too. I used to race with everything including the kitchen sink strapped on. I rolled out with a bottle on the downtube, my aero bottle, and a spare tube/co2 taped up out of the way under the back of the seat. Definitely much cleaner aerodynamically. I don't use a rear bottle holder ( though I'll be putting one back on for Grand Columbian ) either.

Ran with my 404's and disc cover on the rear.

Water handups were great. There were 3 on the bike, and I grabbed a bottle from each one, topped off my aero bottle and dumped the rest on my head to keep cool.

Saw Tupuppy and managed to yell "Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!". Saw Grizdog out there too. Missed my other friends though.

Passed a few people in the early part, and only got passed by a handful of people myself.

Nutrition was:

1 bottle: perpetuem ( 3 scoops ) + 2 espresso gels + 2 endurolyte caps
1 gel ( espresso )
a little bit of heed in aero bottle, mostly water

I finished the perp bottle and about 2.5 aerobottles worth of other fluids.

Didn't pee on the bike, but felt the urge towards the end and decided to hold off until the run to answer it.

Not much, this went really well. I rode it dead on plan, and had a fast ride with enough left in the legs to run well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I blazed this transition.

I saw Whizzzz and the Schmize and Hangloose clans coming into transition. They were providing cowbell and cheers. I was too fast for them in transition as I was running out of T2 as they were getting to the transition exit.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 48m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh the brutality.

The course kept everyone honest with the hills.

There were no mile markers, but I'm thinking that was probably a good thing. I just kinda ignored my HRM and listened to my body and ran the fastest sustainable pace I could. I walked through all of the aid stations, as they were every 2 miles, and it was getting warm, and I needed make sure I got in enough fluids.

The first aid station I took a water and a heed and 2 endurolytes. The next one I took a gel (espresso), water, and some more heed. The next one after that, I took 2 endurolytes, water, and two cups of coke. Mmmmmm, coke. :) After that, that was what I took every aid station. 2 endurolytes, 2 cokes ( they were small cups about half full ) and water.

There was one section where I felt like complete crap. My legs were in revolt, my stomach was about to go on strike, and I was covered in salt. I stopped, leaned over thinking I was going to puke, but didn't, so I walked about 15 seconds, and then decided "F*&^ this, I'm running" and took back off. This was about mile 7'ish, after we climbed up out of the lowest point on the run before heading to the campground.

The campground was tough. You just keep going down these rollers, on an out and back extension. It's tough on the quads going down, and in the back of your mind you know you have to come back up them. I tried not to think about that part. I just kept moving forward, pushing the pace when I could, backing off when I couldn't.

On the way back up from the camping area, I knew I was a lot stronger on the run this year, than this time last year. I was expecting to crack on the climb, but I didn't. I even passed 2 people who had stopped on the way back up and resorted to walking the hills.

I made it up out of the campground, and at that point, you can just barely hear the music from the finish line. I managed to pick up the effort at that point, as I thought I still had a chance to come in pretty close to 5 hours.

I made it down the road, and hit the last aid station. They informed me it was just over a mile to the finish. I checked my watch, and saw that it was 4:49. It was the first time on the run that I looked at the race overall time, and realized I was moving faster than I thought!

I grabbed only a coke at this station, and didn't stop to walk it. I was on a mission to finish under 5, and see if I could beat my PR from Racine last year.

There were two more hills left to climb, and I wanted every second to count. I came up the second to last hill, and there were a bunch of race volunteers and photogs there cheering. There was noone in sight in front of me, and noone in sight behind me. I gave 'em a huge smile, 2 thumbs up, and took off up the hill, picking up the effort even more. I was hurting at the top, but we got a little bit of a downhill to recover on.

There were more spectators now, and I could feed off their energy to carry me home. I made it up the last hill, and had to run through the parking lot, around a turn, and then back to the finish line. Race clock was at 4:58:30 when I went past for the loop of the parking lot. I somehow manaqed to pick the pace up even more and finished the last 200m strong.

I crossed the line at 4:59:13, a new PR. A much tougher course, and not much of a taper/rest before the race ( rode a hard century and 2 hour run the weekend before ).

Maybe tape my toes. I had a blister on my little toe on right foot that was getting quite irritating. When I took my shoe off after the race, it was rubbed nearly raw from having sand in there. Yikes!

My 1/2 mary PR is 1:45, on a flat course, so to run a 1:49 here, including several minutes of dawdling at aid stations, really meant a lot. My run is getting very very strong, and that's a great feeling.
Post race
Warm down:

Stagger through finishing chute. Got an ice cold bottle of water which I proceeded to dump over my head. Ohhh that was heaven.

I fell over in the grass and I laid there for a bit, gathering myself. Came back up to cheer in some more finisher with the Schmize, Hangloose, and Whizzzzz crew. After a few more minutes of that, decided to go cool off in the lake, so I went and did that. Cool water felt soo good on the legs. Not quite an ice bath, but it helped a ton.

Changed clothes, and finally felt good enough to eat some food. Had part of sub, a slice of pizza, some recoverite and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I raced the plan I had, and set a new PR on a pretty tough course.

Event comments:

Could have used another aid station or two on the run, but that's just nitpicking. :)

A great race, and definitely one I want to do again. It's a challenging course, but not so difficult that it's unbearable.

A good showing by BT'ers and Salt Creek Tri Club at the race!

Last updated: 2007-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:07 | 1931 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/288
Performance: Good
Suit: Full suit
Course: Two loops around in the lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:33:55 | 56 miles | 21.83 mile/hr
Average Power: 200 Normalized Power: 215
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back that did 2/3'rds of a loop. Head north, turn east, turn south, tiny bit west, then the turnaround.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:48:50 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Course: Winding, hilly run through Rock Cut state park. Very scenic, mostly shaded, and freakin' HILLY!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: Rock Man Triathlon

2007-06-11 11:30 AM
in reply to: #838991

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Rock Man Triathlon
Nice job.  Congrats on the PR
2007-06-11 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Great job!  Can't wait to see you go even faster at Racine!
2007-06-11 12:45 PM

User image

Rockford, IL
Great work! A sub 5 on this course is great.
This race is 5 mins from my house so I had to do it. Rock Cut State Park is a great place for a race and we had a very nice day. I walked away with a PR myself 5:22:50.

Hope to see ya back next year,
Tom
2007-06-11 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Holy smokes, man! Your bike is blazing and, judging from the run you describe, you've made it to a whole new (an)aerobic threshold.
2007-06-11 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

It's great to see you set goals, work hard, and achieve them.

You get your success the old fashioned way... you earn it. Laughing

So very very proud of you. Again.

Zooks!

2007-06-11 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
fantastic job and great race report! congrats on going sub 5!
2007-06-11 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Yes, sir!  Great race.  Great to be there.  I am pretty sure I will put this one on my schedule for next year.  That was a great run on those hills.....And I only saw the ones at the end of the bike/run.  Wow! 

Great job again!  And in 6 weeks at SOR, I am expecting a 4:50 from you (weather/health permitting)!!!!

2007-06-11 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Awesome race Chris. Great job.
2007-06-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: #839336

User image

Rockford, IL
Here is a video from our local Rockford station on the race:

Rockman News Video . http://mystateline.com/content/sports

Go down to "Sports Top Stories" and click on the video for "Endurance Test."

Tom
2007-06-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: #839383

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

tri-xcs - 2007-06-11 2:11 PM Here is a video from our local Rockford station on the race: Rockman News Video . http://mystateline.com/content/sportsGo down to "Sports Top Stories" and click on the video for "Endurance Test." Tom

Based on your finish time I'm sure you saw us cheering you in.  We were the crazies next to the ambulance with the cowbells.  MORE COWBELL!!!!

Chris - awesome job.  I was looking at the clock at 4:58 and looked at where you were and honestly didn't think you were going to make it by 5:00.  You really picked it up for that last stretch, when a lot of people were coasting it in.  Great job.  We could tell you were suffering but you had it in you.  Congrats.

If Racine is as flat as people say, compared to this race, you are going to smoke that course.

2007-06-11 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
2007-06-12 12:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Fantastic race and a great race report. Makes me want to run more hills!
2007-06-12 8:08 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Congrats on the PR Chris.  Sounds like a pretty good race. 
2007-06-12 8:36 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Great race Chris.  Way to push past the puking feeling and finish strong.
2007-06-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: #839383

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

tri-xcs - 2007-06-11 3:11 PM Here is a video from our local Rockford station on the race: Rockman News Video . http://mystateline.com/content/sportsGo down to "Sports Top Stories" and click on the video for "Endurance Test." Tom

cool that they covered it! nice video... thanks for sharing!

2007-06-12 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on an awesome race and a PR on such a tough course!! You are going to make this Racine v. Steelhead challenge a difficult one, aren't you? Well- it's on! Go give it all you got at Racine!! Us Steelhead folks aren't scared!
2007-06-13 7:45 PM
in reply to: #841461

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

jazz82482 - 2007-06-12 3:23 PM Congrats on an awesome race and a PR on such a tough course!! You are going to make this Racine v. Steelhead challenge a difficult one, aren't you? Well- it's on! Go give it all you got at Racine!! Us Steelhead folks aren't scared!

You should be scared. 

Seriously, this race went very well. I hit my race plan to a T.  A few rough spots on the run, but I'm used to those and know to push through 'em to the otherside.  That's probably the best bit of advice for long-course racing I ever gleaned.  There *will* be rough spots, expect them, plan for them, prepare for them, and then push through them to the other side.   

2007-06-13 8:08 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
very good job. Should make you feel good that you finished before a few of us finished the bike. Really amazing. just think what you would do it you had a A race for a half marathon. you would tootally rock. I think you will PR at Cary next year for sure.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock Man Triathlon Rss Feed