BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-04-01 12:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Originally posted by rrrunner Also, it hasn't escaped my thought process that Yanti would say don't do it, but would probably run it if she were in the situation

Lol!

Taking care of yourself, on the other hand, is no laughing matter.  So sorry that this is taking you down this week.  I know you'll bounce quickly and hope you can find a terrific "redemption" race!

Matt

2016-04-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner Even Dr. DS2, who is always willing to tell me to HTFU, says don't do it. So, as discretion is the better part of valor, I'm not running tomorrow. It's going to be tough though. We are still going to Moab and my running gear is packed. :,(

Ah bummer. But I think not running is the right choice. Unless you can answer this question, will you get something positive that exceeds the negatives of running a race where your performance will be less than desirable and you will be left with a prolonged recovery? 

I'd still go to moab though, hike around a bit, run a bit even if you are up to it. Just not race. Gosh, sometimes it is reallllly nice to just watch a race and save that training when you can really use it. 

2016-04-01 12:17 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Happy belated birthday Adrienne!

2016-04-01 12:18 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Does anyone else have a reaction on the first of the month when all the colours in your calendar are 'gone'?

2016-04-01 12:28 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Does anyone else have a reaction on the first of the month when all the colours in your calendar are 'gone'?

My reaction is more if there is a green splotch on the calendar!

2016-04-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner Even Dr. DS2, who is always willing to tell me to HTFU, says don't do it. So, as discretion is the better part of valor, I'm not running tomorrow. It's going to be tough though. We are still going to Moab and my running gear is packed. :,(

Ah bummer. But I think not running is the right choice. Unless you can answer this question, will you get something positive that exceeds the negatives of running a race where your performance will be less than desirable and you will be left with a prolonged recovery? 

I'd still go to moab though, hike around a bit, run a bit even if you are up to it. Just not race. Gosh, sometimes it is reallllly nice to just watch a race and save that training when you can really use it. 

running is fun, they said....

2016-04-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Sean - No Label Triathlon on Satruday
Robin NC - HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Olympic Course on Sunday
Dave - Runny Nose bike race on Sunday
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

April 2 is Jetson's birthday

Disabled List
TJ - RSV, under the weather
Judi - ankle  (partial DL, activity limited)
McMatt - ribs (partial DL, activity limited)
MR Matt - under the weather

Congratulations to Yanti on becoming an Ironman Certified Coach!

2016-04-01 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Go Racers!! Have fun )))
I love the "Runny Nose" thing... although, I don't want to know where the name comes from but probably because I am dealing with runny nose right now

Take care of yourself all DLs, have some rest

Congrats YANTI! That's so awesome )))
2016-04-01 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Nice group of races this weekend!  Go racers go!!

Keep healing DLers!

2016-04-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Race well everyone!!!! Heal up.

Happy B-Day Sean and congrats Yanti!!!

An add on of sorts for the racers is the Fool's Run. DD2 is the Assistant RD, TW is racing and I am volunteering, so we have a family affair on Sunday morning.

Edited by cdban66 2016-04-01 1:35 PM
2016-04-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Reality check here….
I love triathlon training, I love the sport, I love seeing how I make progress and how I feel better. But at the same time I think I let myself be absorbed too much. I have kids who need my attention and who need to spend time with me (I work full time Mon-Fri and we are home after 6 pm on those days). I need social life, because I love people. I need hiking, because it clears my mind and I love being in the nature with my kids. I am back to school and I have to focus on that piece as well. I also need some REST at least once in a while. I am stressing so much that I am not achieving the milestones I set up in my “annual training plan”. Will I make it before this race, what will I do after that race, what to do between those two races…. Yes – it is fun, I love this adrenaline, and I like that triathlon is giving me additional goal in life, but I think my current attitude is more like: I gotta complete all of these in this year, THIS YEAR, and not any other.

I need to slap my face a little bit with reality and understand that I still have plenty of years coming when I can achieve all those sport goals. I don’t have to do IM in the next 5 years – if I do it in 10 years it will be fine too.
My point is… I think I am taking too much on my shoulder, and at the same time I want to be perfect with everything, which is impossible. Then something collapses and I get upset.

So – back to the reality: I don’t have to be a master of disaster in triathlon this year. I can be fine triathlete, who also hikes and camps with kids, and who is a fine student and enjoys social life. A little bit of everything, instead of full mouth of everything, to the point I have to puke.
Sorry, my Friday reflection… I hope everyone is looking forward to a beautiful weekend!

2016-04-01 2:11 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83 Reality check here…. I love triathlon training, I love the sport, I love seeing how I make progress and how I feel better. But at the same time I think I let myself be absorbed too much. I have kids who need my attention and who need to spend time with me (I work full time Mon-Fri and we are home after 6 pm on those days). I need social life, because I love people. I need hiking, because it clears my mind and I love being in the nature with my kids. I am back to school and I have to focus on that piece as well. I also need some REST at least once in a while. I am stressing so much that I am not achieving the milestones I set up in my “annual training plan”. Will I make it before this race, what will I do after that race, what to do between those two races…. Yes – it is fun, I love this adrenaline, and I like that triathlon is giving me additional goal in life, but I think my current attitude is more like: I gotta complete all of these in this year, THIS YEAR, and not any other. I need to slap my face a little bit with reality and understand that I still have plenty of years coming when I can achieve all those sport goals. I don’t have to do IM in the next 5 years – if I do it in 10 years it will be fine too. My point is… I think I am taking too much on my shoulder, and at the same time I want to be perfect with everything, which is impossible. Then something collapses and I get upset. So – back to the reality: I don’t have to be a master of disaster in triathlon this year. I can be fine triathlete, who also hikes and camps with kids, and who is a fine student and enjoys social life. A little bit of everything, instead of full mouth of everything, to the point I have to puke. Sorry, my Friday reflection… I hope everyone is looking forward to a beautiful weekend!

I think many people would benefit from this type of reality check. And you can insert any nuumber of interests or hobbies in place of triathlon for MANY of us.

Balnce and perspective matter. Thanks for your post.

2016-04-01 2:43 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Good luck racers (including me). I must have forgotten to say I was racing on Sunday. Also, best prayers and wishes to all on the DL. Congratulations, Yanti! I hope you find some fun clients to train.
2016-04-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by CRFTX2001

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Good luck racers (including me). I must have forgotten to say I was racing on Sunday. Also, best prayers and wishes to all on the DL. Congratulations, Yanti! I hope you find some fun clients to train.

Oops!  Sorry if I missed it.  If you put your races in your log, I can usually find them. 

2016-04-01 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

GOOOOOOO RACERS!!!

Congrats Yanti - very cool.    Happy B-Day Jetster.

Heal up DL-ers!

I'm slowly returning to active.  Foot is OK if I'm in Hokas and on the treadmill and going lightly and short (lots of qualifications, but at least a little running).  Rib still is uncomfortable running, though, so taking is sloooooow(er than normal).  Fun thing is that my hammy is now barking from all the trainer time!

What was that about balance?  (man am I the wrong person to comment on that

Matt

2016-04-01 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Go Racers! Looks like some fun ones this weekend.
And heal up DLers. I'm happy that the list is finally getting a bit shorter, but thinking of all of you!

Happy Birthday to the Jetman, and CONGRATS to her Yantiness!

2016-04-01 3:32 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

GOOOOO racers!

Heal up, DL-ers!

Congrats, Yanti!

Early happy birthday Sean and belated birthday Adrienne!

2016-04-01 4:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by marysia83 Reality check here…. I love triathlon training, I love the sport, I love seeing how I make progress and how I feel better. But at the same time I think I let myself be absorbed too much. I have kids who need my attention and who need to spend time with me (I work full time Mon-Fri and we are home after 6 pm on those days). I need social life, because I love people. I need hiking, because it clears my mind and I love being in the nature with my kids. I am back to school and I have to focus on that piece as well. I also need some REST at least once in a while. I am stressing so much that I am not achieving the milestones I set up in my “annual training plan”. Will I make it before this race, what will I do after that race, what to do between those two races…. Yes – it is fun, I love this adrenaline, and I like that triathlon is giving me additional goal in life, but I think my current attitude is more like: I gotta complete all of these in this year, THIS YEAR, and not any other. I need to slap my face a little bit with reality and understand that I still have plenty of years coming when I can achieve all those sport goals. I don’t have to do IM in the next 5 years – if I do it in 10 years it will be fine too. My point is… I think I am taking too much on my shoulder, and at the same time I want to be perfect with everything, which is impossible. Then something collapses and I get upset. So – back to the reality: I don’t have to be a master of disaster in triathlon this year. I can be fine triathlete, who also hikes and camps with kids, and who is a fine student and enjoys social life. A little bit of everything, instead of full mouth of everything, to the point I have to puke. Sorry, my Friday reflection… I hope everyone is looking forward to a beautiful weekend!

I think many people would benefit from this type of reality check. And you can insert any nuumber of interests or hobbies in place of triathlon for MANY of us.

This is so true.  Before my medical leave I had no time or energy for much beyond all that I was putting into swim/bike/run.  I currently am not physically capable of putting in much time to endurance sport.  Somehow I have had time to play tennis a few times with my son, go for walks with my wife, and maybe, just maybe, I might get in a round of golf soon.  Yes, balance and perspective do matter.  Though I hope my family enjoys the time now because I can't guarantee how things play out when I am back 100%.   

2016-04-01 6:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Originally posted by IronOx

Errr...I have it every week. NOOOOO.....I worked so hard on that bar! Now I have to build it again from zero!

I am not the best person to ask about balance in life! I don't have kids; social life here is kind of limited as most colleagues my age are married with kids and the singles are younger and gravitate to the bar scene. It's not really my choice in many ways (more like economic necessity), but it's my reality and difficult to change. To be honest, tri kind of fills a gap left by that. It's something to do that's not my job (which I love, but not to the point where like some teachers I'm spending most of my life in my classroom and sitting around at home coming up with new ideas for lessons), it's active and often outdoors, involves some kind of adrenaline rush, and provides an excuse to leave the country occasionally and go to more developed places with better shopping.

I love outdoor activities like hiking and kayaking, but there aren't any chances to do those locally. A lot of my trips on school breaks involve kayak or bike tours. Would like to get in more in the summers--for the last two years, it's been more training and less hiking. But "training" in Oregon in the summer is a real pleasure. We have roads and bike trails most people would pay to ride, and running trails that make my hometown earn the name "running capital of the world". (The pool is not so awesome, but we do have nice lakes for OWS!) Often I bike on a local trail while Mom does--we have a kind of pursuit game that lets us both get in a good workout despite very different speeds. She likes to watch me race and do road trips, so I try to pick an event each year that's fun for me and involves a nice destination for both of us. (There is a degree of negotiation/compromise--I said no to IM Whistler! Doing Calgary 70.3 instead.)

I do think that I'll take next year off from HIM distance, take maybe three months off from real "training" in the fall, and focus on shorter races in the spring. I like the HIM distance, but the longer workouts do seem to eat up a weekend, and I'd like to see what I can do at the shorter distances before I get too old and really start to slow down. I think I have the "speed" potential to have a strong performance (for AG) down to sprint distance, and still have plenty of gains to make on the bike, if not the swim and the run. (Oddly, although endurance is my forte, the only AG national I've ever qualified for was the sprint.) Just not going for the full IM distance unless I need to take a year between jobs (it can happen, the way recruiting works sometimes). I know some people manage to balance IM training with full-time work, kids, studies, etc. but in my case, it would be exactly what Marisia (sp?) said--my mouth would be full with everything to the point where I'd be about to puke. Just not worth it to me.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-01 6:28 PM
2016-04-01 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Go Sean, Robin and Dave!

Heal up every one on the DL - TJ sorry about your race but it sounds like you made the right choice.

And Jetson it's the 2nd here so happy birthday

2016-04-01 7:47 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

April 2-3
Stacey - 10k on Sunday

Disabled List

Race well and smile for those cameras!

DLers, get better soon!

signed, a person who couldn't swim last week because of a cat bite and cant swim now because of an ear infection.

2016-04-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

Master
Northern IL

Apparently nature wanted to get in on the festivities yesterday and dropped another inch of snow down. It melts on contact with paved surfaces, so it's just nice to look at and is hilariously awesome with the timing.

2016-04-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1

Apparently nature wanted to get in on the festivities yesterday and dropped another inch of snow down. It melts on contact with paved surfaces, so it's just nice to look at and is hilariously awesome with the timing.

I had a little silent laugh to myself today as a guy in a BMW convertible with the top down passed me as it was lightly snowing. Then I remembered that I was biking and he was probably laughing at me too! Spring will come.... I think?
2016-04-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by cdban66

I think many people would benefit from this type of reality check. And you can insert any number of interests or hobbies in place of triathlon for MANY of us.

This is so true.  Before my medical leave I had no time or energy for much beyond all that I was putting into swim/bike/run.  I currently am not physically capable of putting in much time to endurance sport.  Somehow I have had time to play tennis a few times with my son, go for walks with my wife, and maybe, just maybe, I might get in a round of golf soon.  Yes, balance and perspective do matter.  Though I hope my family enjoys the time now because I can't guarantee how things play out when I am back 100%.   

Balance is hard. There is a reason the world's best triathlete is not simultaneously the world's best cardiologist and world's best musician. The reality is that there is only so much time and energy to go around.

Times when I've tried to "have it all", I typically ended up doing many things poorly and not doing any of them very well, which made me pretty unhappy. I wish I could tell you I've found the perfect balance and that you will too, but in the end all of any of us can do is set priorities and try to allocate our time, energy, and money accordingly to the extent possible. I think the way to find happiness in that is to have realistic expectations. People tend to overestimate what they can do and up with unrealistic expectations for themselves which leads to feeling bad when those expectations are not met.
2016-04-03 2:22 PM

User image

I got back from my race a few hours ago. I hit my goal time and got 3rd place in my division.
Here's the link to the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.