United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 24m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We were staying at the Motel 6 a mile away from the race and Jude and I woke up at the same time about 10 minutes before the alarm went off. We chatted about the day ahead until my sister came into the room to make sure we got up and got ready. The ride to the race was nice compared to having to drive all the way from Apache Junction.

When we got to the transition area, Paulette, Elliot, Tanya and Jerry found me. Elliot helped me pump up my back tire because my bike pump wasn't cooperating. Thanks Elliot!! We then got separated for a while but formed up again right before the start.
Swim
  • 1h 30m 31s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Rick, Tanya, Jerry and I swam out to one of the bridge pylons and waited for the start. I know I drove them crazy trying to make sure we stayed together, and Tanya kept saying "Settle down Chris, we're fine" ha! I wasn't freaking out but I REALLY wanted to start this as a group. I get pretty sentimental during big times like these and I wanted to be with the people I started doing tri's with out at Saguaro Lake 2.5 years ago. Back then, the thought of an OLY swim distance gave me hives.

When the gun went off, we held back for a minute, said our good-byes and took off. I have NEVER felt so great during a swim in my life! In the fury and excitement of a start, I am usually hyperventilating after 100 yards and have to settle myself down. I had nightmares of freaking out on this day for weeks, but for some reason on this day I was having the time of my life. Whenever I would turn to breathe, I would take mental pictures of it all in my head. It was a sea of arms! Truly impressive.

It wasn't all perfect. Things got congested when the lake took it's turn south and I got a nice kick in the right eye. Luckily, the guy who kicked me was illegally wearing booties and they softened the blow. It got packed again at the far turn-around, but as soon as we started our way back I was all alone. I knew from volunteering on the kayak last year that if I stayed WAY north of everyone, I would get to be all alone and have a straight line, while everyone else who was hugging the buoy line would have to swim extra yards north as the lake swung northward. This worked perfect. During the whole swim, I felt completely at ease. I wasn't working hard, and wasn't concerned about that because I just had a feeling I was doing fine. I actually thought to myself that I could have done another mile easily. That is a thought that has never crossed my mind before!

Getting pulled from the lake was my first experience with a volunteer, and I have to say it was better than I could have asked for. The guy pressed my "Stop" button on my watch, grabbed me, and said a ton of very motivational things to me as he pulled me from the water. All I could do was mumble "thanks for being here".
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I could have pushed a lot harder, but there was a long day ahead of me and I wanted to save my legs and conserve energy.
Transition 1
  • 16m
Comments:

T1 was PACKED in the tent. I ran to the back and found a chair. Brian (BHannahs) came and sat down right next to me! We had a good time trading stories about the swim and gearing up for the bike. I lost him when I got my bike, as he jumped into a Porta-Potty.

Nothing. If you know me; then you know that I pretty much enjoy watching a good movie, ordering out for pizza and chatting with people during transitions. I'm having fun out there dammit!!
Bike
  • 7h 02m 13s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.92 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started out nice enough, but became miserable quickly. Going out through town, I got to see Tanya pass by and said hi to her. I thought about riding with her because I liked her pacing during our training rides, but I was concerned about finishing this race and figured I could speed up later if I felt like it. I felt that if I was going to actually make the finish line, I had to do MY race and not concern myself with hanging out with friends. A minute or so later, Brian came by and we chatted a couple minutes before he dropped me.

As soon as we hit the Beeline, things took a nose-dive. There WAS a headwind going out that first lap. That, with the incline going out kicked my ass. I wasn't going fast at all, and by the turn-around, was feeling fatigued already. I kept telling myself this was going to be fine because the ride back was going to be fast and easy. I was right! It was NICE!

Then the 2nd loop came and by mile 60 I seriously contemplated snapping my rear derailleur in half to blame my quitting on an equipment malfunction HA! My "thing" that I've been having to see the Doc about was so sore that I couldn't sit in my seat for periods longer than 10 minutes before having to stand up. Then there was the headwind going back into town because the wind switched directions. It had died down significantly, but was still there. I would seriously rather have a headwind going out instead because at least you have it easy for the return trip.

Lap 3 was better than the 2nd or even the first for that matter. The wind was gone, and although I kept having to stand up I was used to the pain on my Chode, Taint, No Man's Land, or whatever you call it. I didn't have the completely "spent" feeling I've had on other centuries and pushed it on the way back. My goal for this ride was 16 mph. I hit it EXACTLY at the end of Rio Solado, but that little ride to T2 dropped me back down to 15.92. OH well.

I would have taken care of the Chode, Taint, No-Man's Land sore MONTHS ago instead of trying to wait it out until after the race.

I would RIDE MORE!!!
Transition 2
  • 06m 23s
Comments:

T2 was nice because I REALLY wanted to be off the bike. I wasn't rushing myself.
Run
  • 6h 25m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a great time on the run. It started off with getting to see Jude right at the beginning. Evidently she and Sandy were only feet away from me all over the transitions and bike, but I never once saw her. She was so excited that I thought she was going to try to run it with me. It definitely lifted my spirits, and knowing I was going to get to see her at the beginning of each lap gave me something to look forward to.

During this "run", I was slow and walked a lot, but ran WAY more than I imagined. At two different times, I was "power walking" past some "runners", and a couple guys asked me how the hell I was able to walk so fast, HA! I told them "I've been practicing". I felt great about this because everybody (including myself) feels that this SHOULD be about running, but everyone's attitude was about congratulating and motivating each other.

So, I ran way more than I thought I could, and it felt great. The cement was killing my feet so I kept to the grass/dirt wherever I could find it. The run segments went to a walk when my hamstrings felt like they would cramp or my stomach would lurch. I'd walk until those feelings went away and started back into a jog.

One notable thing is that at mile 17 or so, I jumped into a Porta-Potty. I must have dozed off for a sec. and it scared the shit out of me. All I could think of was passing out in there and not being found until the next morning when they were cleaning the place up. I then held the door open with my foot while I did my business.

The last 3 miles were my best. I passed quite a lot of people and told myself it didn't matter what cramped up. I was close enough and had enough time left to crawl it in if I had to. I no longer had to choose "just finish" over "go faster". I knew I was going to make this now and pushed myself.

Going down the chute was amazing! It was loud and people were sticking out their hands to high-five me. Kim was there at the end to do the catching and really made me feel like a winner out there! She was awesome!

Train for the run. This is going to be my year of correcting my back problems and LEARNING how to run properly.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

MORE TRAINING!! I signed up for this race a year too early because so many of my friends were doing it. I wanted to go through the training with them and experience this race with the group. In a perfect world, I would have had a year to get the running/back issues taken care of and would have had another year to build up a good base for something like this.

This isn't a perfect world though. The lack of training; either from injuries or just plain laziness caused me a TON of anxiety in the weeks leading up to the race. Hopefully I've learned from that for future races! Despite any set backs, this was an AMAZING experience and I thank myself a couple times a day for doing this!!

Event comments:

This was an experience I will never forget. What made it even more special was being able to do it will all the people I started this sport with over 2 years ago! We've all come a long way during that time. These are wonderful people and I consider them my friends.

Last updated: 2009-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:30:31 | 3862 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 16:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:02:13 | 112 miles | 15.92 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:25:03 | 26.2 miles | 14m 42s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-25 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2009-11-25 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2531643

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Great race and race report Chris! Congrats on an outstanding finish!
2009-11-25 3:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-25 3:06 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I think this was your year! You did it despite the health stuff and that makes it all the more sweeter. Congrats!!!

My butt got sore towards the end of the ride and i totally thought of you, LOL

Glad youhad such a great day! Rest, recover and enjoy the holidays!   

2009-11-25 4:04 PM

Uxbridge
Congrats Chris on a GREAT race!!! It was exciting just following you online!!!

I LMAO at the part of dozing in a port-a-pot.....I cannot imagine how tired you must have been to fall asleep in there....ewwwwww!!!

WTG Ironman!
2009-11-25 4:41 PM

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Dude! Ha!  You crack me up. There were 5 portapotties near the change tents that were locked most of the day. I'm pretty sure they all had people passed out in them. ...at least, that's what I told the volunteers there.

We had to leave the race at 8pm, but I was obsessively refreshing the athlete tracker during your last loop. For some reason I couldn't fall asleep until you finished. Thanks for power walking. :P

2009-11-25 4:56 PM

Regular
Tempe
I don't know what you were so worried about?    You did great.  As a matter of fact let's do Silverman next year.  Seriously, it was cool to see you at the start of the race.  You are so funny and made me less nervous getting into the water.  Way to go dude.
2009-11-25 6:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Awesome job Chris! You did great!

2009-11-25 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2531858

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Chris...You Are an IRONMAN.
2009-11-26 6:14 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Congratulations, Chris!!!  I am so glad that you chose to do this race.  Going through the training process with you and seeing you on race day made the event even more special for me, and you will always be one of the people who I will associate with my IM experience.  Thanks for being there for me this year, and I look forward to whatever the future brings us. GREAT JOB!!!! 

2009-11-26 6:26 AM

Expert
Chandler, AZ
All of the ups and downs of life are part of the experience. Well said in your report. I too am very pleased that I got to start this race with you, Jer and T. You guys have been my training partners since day 1.

All that matters at the end of the day is that you are an Ironman. Just like the mayor of Tempe said you would be.

2009-11-26 8:55 AM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job at conquering the day.  I started this sport about 2 years back too and it's amazing how far our bodies can take us after training in that timeframe.  Congratulations Ironman! You did great!
2009-11-26 9:48 AM

Expert
Really proud of you dude!!!
2009-11-26 11:26 AM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Fell asleep in the pot? OMG TOO FUNNY!So so so proud of you!Cracked up everytime you mention your "taint" way to soldier through a tough situation, makes a true IRONMAN!
2009-11-27 1:34 PM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

My little buddy (Grover!) makes his big buddy (Big Bird!) so proud!  Great race Chris - i too had a blast with so many of our cool kids!

2009-11-27 8:11 PM

Champion
MA
Congrats Ironman!

You accomplished a lot in 2 years....

Enjoy your accomplishment and well deserved time off...hope things heal up for you!

2009-11-28 10:45 AM

Extreme Veteran

Great job on the race and I really enjoyed reading your race report.  I also enjoyed training for my race with you guys and wish I had come back to training sooner and done this race with all of you.  Great job Ironman!

2009-11-28 1:14 PM

Expert
Phoenix, AZ

Your race report had me laughing out loud, especially the falling asleep on the port-a-potty part. Great Job out there Ironman!!

2009-11-29 10:19 PM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
hehe, I knew your RR would be fun to read! Great job, Ironman! I'm so proud of you!!!
2009-11-30 1:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
It's funny we almost have the exact swim time and I was going to go with you guys in the group but I got all anxious and didn't want to wait to get in the water anymore so I just went.  You were probably right near me.  Great job out there!  Sleeping in the porto potty now there's a twist!  Too funny!  Awesome RR. Thank you for your kind words on my blog too.   Congratulations Ironman!
2009-11-30 9:44 AM

Pro
AZ
YAY!! You did it! We all did it!!! Was great to do it together and come full cirlce together!! Awesome job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed