General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-07-21 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3607695

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: I hit a runner while on my bike today
My 2 cents, (seeing as everyone seems to have one) we have greenways here not sure if that equates to the multi-use path but they have speed limits.. I understand in metropolitan areas a need to travel on these paths to be able to ride but it's simple, a bike is a vehicle, pedestrians have right of way, and anything really over 10mph when anywhere close to walkers/runners on these paths is irresponsible..

But as they say, always end on a positive... glad you are both ok!

2011-07-21 10:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I think whether or not it was your fault is dependent on the posted trail rules, if any.

We have a multi-use trail here that is extremely popular for everyone: cyclists, runners, walkers, in-line skaters, parents teaching their kids to ride a bike, etc.

The biggest problem I have is that most people are so plugged into their iPods, etc that they aren't paying attention.  (I often slow to a 5 MPH when passing these people.)

Posted rules on the trail I ride specifically say to ride or walk on your right and call out "on your left" and pass on the left.  The rules on staying to the right and passing (on the left) and calling "on your left" when passing are very clear.  Top speed allowed is 20 MPH.

If you were riding on the trail here, it would be the runner's fault.  Period!

2011-07-21 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
cyclists...ride on the road, car drivers get pissed.  Ride on a path, runners get hit.  I guess we should all just set up our trainer in the basement. 
2011-07-21 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3608114

User image

Pro

Novo - 2011-07-21 10:23 AM -this is America, whether you are on a road, bike path, or shopping aisle in Walmart, you stay to the right. -he was young, their bones are like rubber, he will bounce right back. -you did him a favor by teaching him at a young age not to be stupid. -the fact that you stopped to apologize rather than grabbing his wallet and taking off, makes me question if you are truly from Philly

I love Philly, it's a great city and it's cleaned up it's act a great deal. I was away for 19 years on business and I moved back in 2007. And to Scout: Philly cops are pretty darned good, especially the bicycle cops. It's not a job I could do.

Although, speaking of Philly attitude and cops, did you see last week they put up a Frank Rizzo statue? Any of you remember that famous picture of him in a tuxedo with a sap sticking out of his cummerbund?

2011-07-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3608169

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

guppie58 - 2011-07-21 11:45 AM cyclists...ride on the road, car drivers get pissed.  Ride on a path, runners get hit.  I guess we should all just set up our trainer in the basement. 

The roads were made for bicycles and carriages.   Those horseless carrages will just have to adapt .   Maybe we could create separate lanes for them.

2011-07-21 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3608094

User image

Scout7 - 2011-07-21 8:18 AM
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 11:13 AM
BikerGrrrl - 2011-07-21 7:57 AM
bradword - 2011-07-21 9:15 AM This thread is just crazy. A runner bolts out in front of someone and it's the cyclist fault? So if I'm walking down the street and jump in front of a car it's their fault? I use a multi-use trail all the time for my cycling up here. I slow down, give plenty of space and do as much as I can to avoid others, but if someone doesn't look and turns in front of you, it's not your fault. I guess I'll get shelled for having this opinion, oh well.

I agree 100% with this, thanks for saving me the typing.

So if a pedestrian legally enters a crosswalk and gets hit by a motor vehicle you think the driver is blameless?!?
Actually I believe that the situation being discussed isn't a pedestrian legally entering a crosswalk, but rather jaywalking.

If that's the case then it's a poor or inacurate comparison,,,,, as with the crosswalk the pedestrian on the path has the RIGHT of Way, the pedestrian Jawalking does not....   

2011-07-21 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3608116

User image

Champion
Calgary
lamb_y2003 - 2011-07-21 9:24 AM

BigDH - 2011-07-21 10:13 AM The worst is 6 year olds on their bikes. Bajesus, those little bikes swerve quick.

You're not kidding.  I have a 5 & 7 year old and I took them on a MUP to walk our dog and they were a brutal.  The dog stayed in the right area but the kids?  Disastrous.  LOL.

what amazes me about dogs is that they know better than their owners. I can be riding along and shout out "on your left" and the dog scurries to the side while the owner makes a slow turn to the left sticking their head out to see what is going on.
2011-07-21 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 5:55 AM

I think that other thread on the dangers of road biking caught up with me. This happened around 6:30 this morning. I was on the multiuse path, which is usually pretty safe except for a couple of spots where it narrows. This happened on a pretty wide part (12 feet). Saw a runner so yelled "on your left" and he promptly turned left and walked into the center of the path. I was doing about 17mph when I hit the brakes, but he hit dead center on the bike. We both went down fairly hard but no real injuries. I took the worst of it, nice road rash on my leg and arm, and my hip is bruised. Took some paint off my rear derailleur which is a shame since the bike in only 2 weeks old.

I was about to really lay into him about watching what he was doing and being a dumb*** when I realized he was about my son's age (high school) and really scared. So I calmed down (not easy, I was wired!), made sure he was really OK, asked if he wanted to use my cell phone. Then I explained path safety to him. The path can get very busy and I was going relatively slowly as I was going uphill, but he could have been seriously injured by someone less careful bombing down the hill. Made sure he was OK again, then we both took off.

In the end I had a crappy ride. I was thinking about it the whole time, I was bleeding and sore, and it was hot and humid, and I didn't notice I had lost a water bottle. Did 28 miles total. But I'm glad I didn't go with my first reaction to curse and yell, and hopefully he keeps running safely.

I know a lot of people have commented here already but I wanted to add in a few things of my own opinion.

-riding on a MUP is not the best option but sometimes it is the only option. As long as you are taking care and are being careful it can be safe. It sounds like here the trail is pretty empty at this time and so despite the extra room to manuever - you had a collision.

- you held yourself and check and did not over-react. Be proud of yourself for that! whether it is a teenager or not, keeping a cool head will always be helpful in situations like these. Also I am not sure which or what "rules" you explained, but if you discussed simple things like all traffic stay to the right unless passing, what the different calls on the trail can mean, and making sure to be visible (no ninja running/biking) then that is all great advice. Since I do not know this MUP you were on I do not know if it has a posted speed limit for cyclists but pointing that out is also a good idea.

- I would also want to add for anyone who rides on a MUP on a regular basis, a clear and loud bell is a much more effective means to make pedestrians and other cyclists aware of you. It says here I am without causing the involuntary reaction of hearing "on your left" and those unfamiliar with the term who have a habit of moving left. Just something to consider (I know it is not the coolest thing to have on your bike, but for me safety trumps cool any day).

All that being said, glad no one was seriously injured and hope you both just called it a learning experience.

2011-07-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3608137

User image

Veteran
Central Point

mr2tony - 2011-07-21 8:32 AM Bikes in England must be sold with a bell. That rule should apply in the U.S. and this discussion wouldn't be taking place. That said, I would go with this being a `no-fault accident' ... sure the cyclist could've given more warning or taken more evasive action but the runner also could've been more aware of his surroundings and not darted out in front of him. Chalk this up to bad timing and leave it at that.

Its amazing how effective the little bell is. My wife and I will ride on the bike path and I can yell "on your left" with no reaction, she can be 10 yards behind me hit her little bell (ring-ring) and people move.

2011-07-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3608201

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

crusevegas - 2011-07-21 9:54 AM
Scout7 - 2011-07-21 8:18 AM
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 11:13 AM
BikerGrrrl - 2011-07-21 7:57 AM
bradword - 2011-07-21 9:15 AM This thread is just crazy. A runner bolts out in front of someone and it's the cyclist fault? So if I'm walking down the street and jump in front of a car it's their fault? I use a multi-use trail all the time for my cycling up here. I slow down, give plenty of space and do as much as I can to avoid others, but if someone doesn't look and turns in front of you, it's not your fault. I guess I'll get shelled for having this opinion, oh well.

I agree 100% with this, thanks for saving me the typing.

So if a pedestrian legally enters a crosswalk and gets hit by a motor vehicle you think the driver is blameless?!?
Actually I believe that the situation being discussed isn't a pedestrian legally entering a crosswalk, but rather jaywalking.

If that's the case then it's a poor or inacurate comparison,,,,, as with the crosswalk the pedestrian on the path has the RIGHT of Way, the pedestrian Jawalking does not....   

In Idaho peds always have the right of way, jaywalking or not.

2011-07-21 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

To the OP, glad everyone was ok.

My only input is to call out the on your left way in advance. That gives you time to see their reaction if they heard you before you are right behind them. Perhaps if you had yelled sooner you could have seen the runner jump to the left and still had time to avoid him.

If they didn't hear you or don't react slow down to 5mph or so so you can stop on a dime.

All that said, I don't use MUP's because I can't get a decent ride in with all the people in the way. But I understand if you have to use a path to get out of town. I have the benefit of living out on the empty country roads.

2011-07-21 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

For disucssion purposes (because this hasn't been discussed enough), this is from the Fairmount Park Rules and Regulations section:

Trail Use
Seven (7) miles per hour is the fastest you are allowed to go on Park trails. Please do not drive any faster.
Joggers - pedestrians have the right-of-way except during sanctioned and/or organized running races.
Bicyclists - all other trail users have the right-of-way, except during sanctioned bicycle races.
Bicycling is allowed on all roads within the Park, except as posted on Kelly Drive and Martin Luther King Drive (West River Drive).

http://www.fairmountpark.org/ServicesRulesAndRegs.asp

2011-07-21 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Odd, I've been a runner for years and always thought "on your left" was a part of the running community.  With that said, I have come to expect people to jump to their left when I say "on your left".  It's actually kind of humorous and whoever does it, we both typically end up laughing.  Then again I'm trail running when I say it so I make sure I'm slowing down and saying it soon enough to give them time to jump to their left (DOH) and turn around.  Then proceed with that awkward bobbing left and right, mirroring the other person because nobody knows which way to go. 

I'd never ride on a multi use path and am thankful to live in an area where it's never necessary.  Be safe out there.

2011-07-21 11:36 AM

User image

I haven't read through the entire thread (wow, what fireworks I did read though), but IMHO both the OP and the runner share responsibility for this.  OP for perhaps going a little too fast, maybe not swinging wide enough, but did give a warning.  Runner for not looking back before walking across path to the left.

Glad to hear you are mostly OK.

2011-07-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3608138

Expert
Salisbury
brucemorgan - 2011-07-21 11:32 AM
fgump - 2011-07-21 8:27 AM

As I come up behind runners, walkers, or other cyclists on a local rail-to-trail, I'm usually riding my 29er with disc brakes.  It brakes silently, so I can't squeeze on brakes to announce my approach.  But I usually will click a few gears down on the rear derailleur and see if they notice.  If not, I'll announce a quick but audible "Passing on your left" while leaving plenty of room for their reaction.  If on my old hardtail Fisher, it's rim brakes will squeal so I use those as a horn.

Really?  You have some pretty high expectations about people's hearing if you think people are listening for clicks and squeals.  I certainly won't hear it.

When running, I always say "thank you" to the cyclists who say "on your left".  When cycling, I usually say "on your left" and thank people who notice.  I don't always say "on your left", especially if in my esteemed judgment the group will scatter in front of me.

x2
2011-07-21 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3607904

User image

SWOH

abier - 2011-07-21 10:11 AM This is comical.  In lieu of practicing common sense and safety, it's being suggested that cyclists stay off multi-use paths.

I agree with this. Though pedestrians technically always have the right away, it's also technically a multi-use path, meaning that everyone needs to learn how to use it -- not that cyclists need to just bow out and let everyone else be inconsiderate.

People in general need to learn to be more aware of others and realize how their actions will affect those around them. When I'm running on a multi-use trail and I want to turn around at a certain mile marker, I step off the trail first so that I can make sure I won't be inconveniencing or running into anyone behind me. I stay on the right at all times unless I'm passing, even if I think no one's around. I go single file with my partner when running, walking or riding as soon as I see someone ahead or hear someone behind. Heck, if I'm in a grocery store pushing a cart and have to stop or slow down, I pull to the side and out of people's way. These things aren't hard to do; they're born of the simple fact that I realize I'm not the only person in the world and that I need to be considerate of those trying to move around me.

As someone said, this is America; we stay to the right. It's simple common sense and courtesy that everyone needs to adhere to for things to run smoothly, whether on MUPs or in everyday life.

2011-07-21 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3608248

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
ckallpoints - 2011-07-21 11:09 AM

mr2tony - 2011-07-21 8:32 AM Bikes in England must be sold with a bell. That rule should apply in the U.S. and this discussion wouldn't be taking place. That said, I would go with this being a `no-fault accident' ... sure the cyclist could've given more warning or taken more evasive action but the runner also could've been more aware of his surroundings and not darted out in front of him. Chalk this up to bad timing and leave it at that.

Its amazing how effective the little bell is. My wife and I will ride on the bike path and I can yell "on your left" with no reaction, she can be 10 yards behind me hit her little bell (ring-ring) and people move.

In my experience, I have not found this.  My husband uses a bell and I call out.  More often than not, when we are together, there is NO reaction to the bell and I feel compelled to say "on your left" and then they straighten-up a bit.  Just my experience. I would much prefer to be able to rely upon the bell.
2011-07-21 11:55 AM

User image

SWOH
I also second the notion that "passing on your left" works a lot better than "on your left" on trails. You have to expect that there will be a lot of new trail users every time you go out who may not know what the latter means.
2011-07-21 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Glad you and the kid are ok.  this is why i avoid multi-use trails.  just too many people that don't know what to do when the hear on your left.  i take the attitude when on a bike path that anything can happen, and if it means slowing down to 5mph or even stopping i will do that.  last thing i want to do is injure someone.
2011-07-21 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3607721

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-21 8:11 AM

bryancd - 2011-07-21 7:08 AM If you are riding at 17mph on a Multi-use path and there are people walking or running near you are being reckless. A bike is a vehicle and as such ALL pedestrians have the right of way. It is incumbant upon the cyclist to ensure they slow down and overtake pedestrians safely, even if it means coming to a stop. Yelling out "on your left" or "passing" and assuming their instructions are heard and clear and proceeding at speed is a complete failure of proper safety protocol.

Very well stated.  Much better than I did. 

Yeah, I never really thought about it like that.  i'll have to change my attitude the next time i'm on the path near my house.

2011-07-21 1:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I've started saying "cyclist coming behind you" or something like that. If I'm with other people I'll say "there's two of us" as well, just so they know.

2011-07-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3607955

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member

Out2BeALoser - 2011-07-21 10:23 AM Not going to offer opinions on right or wrong here but one thing I began doing was modifying what I announce a bit. Given various reactions I've gotten I now say "passing on your left". Seems like more people I pass react better to that and don't have to know the rules about the "on your left" announcement. YMMV.

x1

Or I just say  "PASSING" and then I wait to see what they do, and then I pass.

The word "left" makes people go left. It's subconscious. That's why if you yell at kids in the hallway, "Don't run!" it's much less effective than yelling "Walk please!" because the word creates a picture in their mind. You want them to picture walking, not running. (Kids can't picture "don't run," only "run".)  Same goes for "left." You hear "left" and you go left!

IMHO

Edited by ahohl 2011-07-21 1:32 PM
2011-07-21 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3608138

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
brucemorgan - 2011-07-21 11:32 AM
fgump - 2011-07-21 8:27 AM

As I come up behind runners, walkers, or other cyclists on a local rail-to-trail, I'm usually riding my 29er with disc brakes.  It brakes silently, so I can't squeeze on brakes to announce my approach.  But I usually will click a few gears down on the rear derailleur and see if they notice.  If not, I'll announce a quick but audible "Passing on your left" while leaving plenty of room for their reaction.  If on my old hardtail Fisher, it's rim brakes will squeal so I use those as a horn.

Really?  You have some pretty high expectations about people's hearing if you think people are listening for clicks and squeals.  I certainly won't hear it.

When running, I always say "thank you" to the cyclists who say "on your left".  When cycling, I usually say "on your left" and thank people who notice.  I don't always say "on your left", especially if in my esteemed judgment the group will scatter in front of me.

Bruce-

Works for me.  I've never hit a runner.  And I've not had one dart out in front of me when using the "click the gears first, call out second" approach.  Of course, and 29er Scott isn't exactly stealthy on gravel screening paths, so maybe they hear my loud-a$$ tires first...

I don't generally run with an iPod, so I may be more aware of my surroundings than most.  And if I'm riding the mtn. bike and I see that the runner I'm approaching is running with music, I up the volume of my clicks/calls appropriately

Edited by fgump 2011-07-21 1:51 PM
2011-07-21 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3608169

User image

, Oregon

guppie58 - 2011-07-21 9:45 AM cyclists...ride on the road, car drivers get pissed.  Ride on a path, runners get hit.  I guess we should all just set up our trainer in the basement. 

That sounds great oh wait I do not have a basement Now what do I do?

2011-07-21 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3608314

User image

Veteran
CT
ChrisM - 2011-07-21 12:36 PM

I haven't read through the entire thread (wow, what fireworks I did read though), but IMHO both the OP and the runner share responsibility for this.  OP for perhaps going a little too fast, maybe not swinging wide enough, but did give a warning.  Runner for not looking back before walking across path to the left.

Glad to hear you are mostly OK.

It seems like certain people smelt blood and jumped all over the dude that posted this.  Not the best reaction in my opinion

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  

of 6