Ultramax Sports
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 4s
Overall Rank = 284/314
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Since it was KU Commencement weekend, rooms were hard to come by. We ended up getting a KOA Kamping Kabin in Topeka, which worked out great.

I had our own commencement Saturday morning, so we drove up at around noon. Went to packet pick up and then I donned the wet suit and took a very short swim. The water was choppy but great. Then we drove up to Kansas City so hubby could pick up his new car. We didn't get back to Topeka until after 6. We ended up eating dinner at Carlos O'Kelly's and I had a Caribbean salad with shrimp.

I had worked on hydrating all day, but with outside commencement and driving, I'm not sure I did a fantastic job.

My plan was to get to bed early, but it didn't work out well. Storms were forecast to roll in, and when they did it was windy. Our poor little cabin was really creaking. Ben (the 12 year old) was a little freaked out, so he and I chatted a little. I probably didn't get to sleep until about 1:00 a.m. when the wind, distant thunder, and the creaking lulled me to sleep.
Event warmup:

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. Packed up the car. (Because of the storms, we kept my bike in the cabin with us over night) and headed off to Quick Shop. I found yummy oatmeal (dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar) and got a coffee and cream and then headed for Clinton Lake.

It was raining pretty hard and there was some thunder in the distance, so I wasn't giving the swim much chance, but I was still hopeful that the race would go on, and was even holding out hope that we would be able to swim, even if it were shortened.

I got transition set up and then just hung around with everyone trying to stay dry. I understand why we were trying to stay dry, but I also found it a little comical because we were going to get wet anyway, if the swim was on, but whatever. People were complaining. It was cold, windy, and raining, so many people were wearing their wet suits, not just in preparation for the swim. I would have roasted, so I just put on a jacket with a hood. I was fine.

The pros were supposed to take off at 7:30, but the RD announced that they would delay the swim to see what would happen. The weather just got worse. The lake was choppy, with white caps, and there was lightning in the distance, and some of that not so distant.

At about 8:00 ish, I guess, my husband texted me from Topeka and said that it was easing up and he thought we would be okay. At that point, the RD decided to call it, so the swim was officially cancelled and we were doing a Du.

I would estimate that a full 100 people left -- some at the first delay (I overheard someone saying "Even if we swim, I don't want to swim in that, and I don't want to bike in the rain.) Others left once the race was changed to a Du. I must admit that I considered it. I don't have a lot of experience riding in the rain anymore, even if I did grow up in Oregon. So I called hubby to get his opinion. We decided that I would go ahead and do it, especially since he was pretty sure the rain was going to end and that we would be fine (since it had ended where he was already). I promised him that if I felt it was in any way dangerous on the road, I would bag it.

So we lined up in whatever order we wanted, after the pros and elites took off. We had about 3-5 seconds between each rider, so this went fairly quickly. I was starting to get excited.

I took in a Clif shot and got in line.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Cr@p. But they did the right thing. I just wanted to swim, not that it would have helped my finish any. I just wanted to do it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 43m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The rain stopped by time I got on the road, but the roads in the park were still puddled and wet. By time I crossed the dam, the road was basically dry. It was windy and gusty. We had head, tail, and crosswinds, and they were all a factor in my ride.

I passed a few people, and was passed by a lot of people. The hills were rough on me, as I expected they would be. I used every single gear, moving smoothly between the small and large front ring, until I got back into the park. I dropped the chain and it was a disaster. It seemed like it took me forever to sort it all out, and I was a greasy mess by time I got the chain back where it was supposed to be. I really only lost about 3-4 minutes here, but it was frustrating and I was stuck in the small ring for the rest of the ride (only a couple miles) because I didn't trust that I wouldn't drop it again.

What would you do differently?:

Train on the bike better. Longer. Harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

I was slow. My hands were a mess, and I refused to run with them like that, so I took time to wipe them off pretty well on my soaking wet towel. I opted to use my Nike Frees in stead of the Zoots, so I had to tie my shoes, but I really didn't lose that much time doing that.

Oh, I also wiped my legs down . . . um, . . . . you know. Just because.

It was what it was.
Run
  • 1h 00m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the pace I trained at for this run. (Well, not Salty pace, but 9:40 pace). I didn't expect to hit it, especially coming off the bike, and walking half way up that stupid hill. Both times. But I did it, and it felt amazing. It was painful, but not so much that I wanted to stop. I took a clif shot walking up the hill the first time, and then I grabbed another on my second loop through the campsite. It was hot and steamy out there. So I grabbed water each time I ran past the water stop (four times), drank and little and poured the rest on me.

I got a little emotional as I crossed the finish line when I realized that I hit my goal pace. It was nice for something to go right on this wet, windy, stormy (and a little scary) day.

I did an Olympic distance race! . . . well, kind of. Sort of. Not so much.

Run up the hill. All the way. But really, I didn't start walking until I calculated that I could walk faster than I was running.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Walked around. Cooled off. Ate a Luna Bar.

There was take-out pizza. Wow. Okay. That was really disappointing. It was like someone thought, "Oh, crap! We forgot post race food. Let's get take out -- 50 boxes." Icky.

But I don't eat much after racing anyway, not immediately.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper bike training.

Event comments:

Well. I have some complaints. The weather wasn't their fault, so that's not my beef. They made the right call with the information they had at the time.

There was a live band. That was cool, I guess. But there was nothing else at the end -- they handed you your medal, a bottle of water, and you could grab some greasy takeout pizza if you wanted. That was it. No massage. No fruit. Nothing but water to drink.

No race pictures, evidently. The race directors are conveniently not answering that question on the Facebook page. That was disappointing because I was there alone, so no pictures of me.

On second thought, maybe that's a good thing. I was a sweaty, greasy, salty, dirty mess. (My hair was stiff from all of the salt I sweat out of my body.) Oh, and don't forget that I peed on myself. Twice. Just for good measure.

Okay. No pictures. Thank goodness.

Last updated: 2013-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/314
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Cancelled
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:15 | 24.85 miles | 14.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 307/314
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Leave the Marina and ride through some pretty tough rollers in the park to the highway. Over the dam, and out into the country. Out 12-13 miles and then back. (The course was a tad long because they didn't want us turning around on a downhill.)
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:14 | 06.21 miles | 06m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 273/314
Performance: Good
Oh, wow. Look at that. I'm running at Salty pace. Woohoo! Woohoo!
Course: Two loops with a killer hill up out of the Marina that we had to "run" twice, then out and back through the campsite. Other than that hill, the course was pancake flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Kansas 5150 Triathlon

2013-05-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4751572

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Kansas 5150 Triathlon
Wow, what a day and what a weekend, weather-wise!  Wind seems to be a constant in your area.   Great race in spite of all the little pitfalls, and you (mostly) have an Olympic distance under your belt!  Congrats, Felicia, your tenacity is a fine quality.
2013-05-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Whew! What a race day Surprised Way to get it done... 100 people bailed, and you weren't one of them! You should feel really good about pushing through this one. Neither rain, nor wind, nor fallen chain shall keep a manatee down.
2013-05-21 1:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Great job! It's a total bummer that the swim was cancelled but probably for the best.

The Manatees are on a roll, another goal achieved hitting that run pace!!

2013-05-21 1:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know what you mean about the swim.  On the one hand, not swimming would only help my situation!  I'm more experienced at the land based sports!  On the other hand, it's a triathlon, right?  I know that I was so upset in my second tri because the course buoy drifted and I followed it.  I was upset because I wanted to compare my swim to my first one but clearly the second one was long.  So upsetting! 

Way to stick it out on the bike and rock the run!  Woo hoo!

P.S.  http://www.bikesourcekansascity.com/news/how-to-fix-a-dropped-chain... I've had reasonably good success with the shift while pedaling method but it all depends on if you are going from little to big or big to little.  Also, when I've dropped my chain, it's worth checking the chain.  Most of the time I find -- well, the mechanic finds -- that it's stretched and the long term fix is to replace the chain.

Edited by jmkizer 2013-05-21 1:09 PM
2013-05-21 1:33 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Holy Canoli , what a day!

Yeah, having a tri turn du is no fun--even for the worst of us swimmers (and even those of us who prefer running).....but completely the right call.

Too bad about the chain drop.  Your run was fantastic!! 

2013-05-21 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Wow, that was some race! I know it's frustrating to have the swim cancelled, but there's nothing you can do but try to rock the bike and run. You certainly did that, congratulations!
2013-05-21 3:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Congratulations on competing on such a crappy day. That's a really good pace on the run after a ride, I don't think I would get much faster than that.
2013-05-22 5:14 AM

User image

New user
Knoxville
Wow! Great job getting through the weather. Riding in the rain can be dicey. And look at that race pace! Hoo wee!!! Very impressive!
2013-05-22 6:36 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Oh, I also wiped my legs down . . . um, . . . . you know. Just because.

Awesome. Nice job on the race, even just sticking with it and getting it done despite the weather.
2013-05-22 6:58 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Great job in less then great weather. It never lets up there, does it? Losing the chain on the bike is never cool, but your run went just as you planned. Congratulations on working through the whole thing!

2013-05-22 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Awesome work hitting your run goal!!  Bummer that the swim was canceled and that the bike didn't go quite as planned....but you did get some good experience riding in the rain and dealing with a chain drop, which will only help you (and your confidence!) for future races.
2013-05-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Melon Presser

There are so many things I love about you, and about this report and experience of yours ... but it all comes down to attitude. Kind of a crazy weekend for you, turned out to be a crazy race, but in the end, you were excited to start and do this race however it was going to be, and you did it well in crazy conditions with funky stuff happening.

And you did it well.

2013-05-22 5:30 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Congrats on the race!
2013-05-24 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
So glad decided to race Felicia. I had the same thought process about whether to stay or go. But I looked at teh hour by hour forecast and I knew there was a good chance the rain would clear. Agree that the post race grub was a tad weak. Just pizza? Seriously guys??? But with that other race going on the same day attendance was weak for the 5150 so maybe it was a cost cutting thing.

Nice job on the run!

One of these days I'll have to remember which races we''re both doing so we can say hello to each other.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas 5150 Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas 5150 Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1363 Posts: 3

2013-05-24 5:09 PM Barkeep

Kansas 5150 Triathlon

Started by mikec123
Views: 1023 Posts: 1

2013-05-21 10:11 AM mikec123

5150 Kansas City Triathlon

Started by mroger82
Views: 1528 Posts: 2

2012-05-21 9:15 PM m.a.burghart

Started by lisac957
Views: 2477 Posts: 10

2012-05-22 1:25 PM KansasMom

Started by montyzooma
Views: 1850 Posts: 6

2012-05-31 8:45 PM thecaptin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon