Mustache Dache
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 30s
Overall Rank = 2/1237
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/890
Pre-race routine:

Friday night we ate Pho then I layed down on the couch and fell asleep at 8 pm. J asked me if i was sick. I said (in a mild panic), "am I?" I was really hoping she'd say no. I was a bit in denial. I think with all the racing and running I've not had a chance to fully recover from the cold I had several weeks ago. I wasn't experiencing full blown symptoms. Just not feeling great. I went ahead and gave in and went to bed super early.

I woke up still feeling off. I debating not going to the race but the sun was sort of out and I figured I felt good enough I could at least give it a shot.

I had polled which mustache style I should go with and was planning on rocking the Mario stache but it was overruled by J. She said with my small head, it would just look like a huge birthmark. She was probably right. We decided on a pseudo-Dahli. I think it was a great choice. I think I may look better with a stache than I do normally.

I got to the venue a little late and parking was a b! Once again, I didn't have as long of a warmup as I had wanted to get in. Plus I had to pee. I weighed the pros and cons of waiting but remembered last year where I may or may not have peed my pants a little at the finish. It was decided, I would make the trek to the porta.
Event warmup:

Not much. A short jog to gear check and then the porta.
Run
  • 18m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Sooooo, they had a major timing snafu. My official time came in at 17:50. Which I knew was not true. I'm wondering if it is because the start and finish were in different spots and we cross the original start timing mat again before crossing the actual finish timing mat. Anyway, when I crossed, the clock said 18:30 (which I was STOKED about) I asked those who had watches it that was correct and they said yes. I had started 3 rows back in the beginning of the race, so I figured the time should be pretty right on, if not maybe 2 seconds difference from the time I crossed the start mat.

Anyway, I really didn't want my time to go in so inaccurate, as much as I would have loved to run a 17:50. So we addressed it with the officials. I guess their solution was just tacking on an extra minute to everyones time. So now my official time shows as 18:50. Confusing. SO, for the record my official time is 18:50 my other official time was 17:50 and the time I believe to be most accurate was 18:30. ANd I need the most accurate information possible for training reference. Phew. But take that however you would like to.

Anyway, to the race!!!

I lined up and spotted a fellow teammate, D. She told me she was going for 19 minutes or so as she is more of a distance gal. I told her my plan was to run the first mile conservative, so not to pace off of me.

The gun fired and we were off. My plan, as I had said, was to run the first mile slow. I wanted to base all decision making in that first mile with this context. The second mile I was going to allow myself to push a little and then the third mile was go time, I was allowed to be reckless if I so desired.

Some girls made some moves in that first mile but I didn't respond. I just kept easy and consistent. It was really sunny out and I had to squint for the first half of the race as we ran into the sun. We made a big turn and I could see D pulling away. It was difficult, but I opted NOT to respond. Finally I hit mile 1 and began to push, just a little as a reward for holding back so well.

I was verrrrry slowly gaining on D now but was trying not to force a pass. We turned into a pretty stiff headwind but I kept at it. Right when we hit the mile 2 marker was when I passed her. She patted me on the back and said, "All 3 of them are within 100 meters. YOU GOT EM!" Which was funny because I was really in this to test my fitness and execution, not to race. But shoot, that was some motivation! So I pressed a little harder and slowly started gaining on the third place girl. Once I got close I could tell she was struggling. I passed her pretty easily and had the number two girl in my sights. We rounded a 90 degree corner and transitioned from asphalt to gravel. I executed a little better than she did and closed the gap. As I passed her I said, "Let's go! Tuck in behind me." ANd she did! It's always helpful to work together with someone towards the end of a race when it gets hard. Lucky for her, she tucked in just in time for a harsh headwind to hit. Damn. Lucky her! After about 20 seconds she made a really bold move. Sprinting and putting maybe 6 meters between us? It was too early and we were too far out from the finish so I did not respond. I just kept steady and eventually it paid off. She ran out of steam and I passed her. We hit one more tough 90 degree turn, this time from gravel to asphalt. I put some more distance between us and could now see the finish. I was struggling a bit now. I had been toying with the idea of positive self talk. What I did ended up being more like self degradation. Every step went "don't be a pu see, don't be a pu see" I was closing on the first place girl, whom I had completely forgotten about. We ran under the first "start" arch (which was confusing BTW) made a hard left and ran in to the finish arch. My cousin was meeting me for a cool down run post race and he just so happened to see me finish. I heard him say, "Gooooo Adrienne!!!" and it was awesome. I saw the time and smiled. I was behind the lead woman by about 6 seconds. D came in behind us in 4th place.

This was a really exciting race for me. I had an idea that I had been making improvements but the XC races don't really give you the kind of straightforward data that road races do. I was really glad I "HTFU-ed" and ran this rather than staying in bed. I'm really happy with how I executed according to my plan. Next time I just need to step it up and try to close that gap with the first place girl. I kinda slipped off the competitive drive and became complacent.

What would you do differently?:

- Better warmup
- Compete with that girl for first. I don't know what I was thinking
Post race
Warm down:

Ran with my cousin and a few friends and finished just in time to make the award ceremony. I won some cool stuff. Then we went and got some beer in the beer garden! Mmmmmmmm

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Not a good warm up
- A little sick
- no taper
- Need to step up and be more competitive

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:30 | 03.11 miles | 05m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/890
Overall: 2/1237
Performance: Good
Course: Cinco kilometers of romping about Magnuson Park await you on the Mustache Dache Seattle course! With some great views of Lake Washington, the run will go by faster than a game of Minesweeper on easy mode. Relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-18 12:37 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Mustache Dache

2013-11-18 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4900630

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Mustache Dache
Get the FLOCK out of here!!!!!! Holy speed girls with mustaches Batman!

You killed it Adrienne! That is some serious speed and it looks like XC racing is paying dividends.

Very cool, I'm so happy for you
2013-11-18 12:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Way to go!

2013-11-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'd go with the 17:50.  

Great race, Salty (again!)...and love the stache.

2013-11-18 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Often when I'm reading one of your RRs I'm impressed with more than your running.   I mean, I'm ALWAYS impressed with your running, but let's break this down for a minute, shall we?

1) F n A on the 'stache

2) Feeling sick but a strong HTFU to get it done

3) Telling another girl who's obviously racing you to tuck in behind you--seriously awesome.

4) Beating said girl when she tried to pull a move on you (coughsuckityougreedybeotchcough). 

5) Finishing 6 seconds back from 1st

6) (And this is probably why you are one of the coolest cucumbers I know) you didn't freak your shyte when they effed up your time :)  hahaha--I probably would have gotten arrested.  You are so awesome!

Great, great race on so many levels my speedy peanut.

2013-11-18 1:50 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Holy FACH you are FAST!

2013-11-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Orlando
Great stache! I'm pretty sure your almost as fast as me now . Really, great, super speedy race!
2013-11-18 2:09 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master

Originally posted by switch

Often when I'm reading one of your RRs I'm impressed with more than your running.   I mean, I'm ALWAYS impressed with your running, but let's break this down for a minute, shall we?

1) F n A on the 'stache

3) Telling another girl who's obviously racing you to tuck in behind you--seriously awesome.

4) Beating said girl when she tried to pull a move on you (coughsuckityougreedybeotchcough). 

6) (And this is probably why you are one of the coolest cucumbers I know) you didn't freak your shyte when they effed up your time   hahaha--I probably would have gotten arrested.  You are so awesome!

Yes, what she ^^^ said.  You rocked the 'stache and the race!

2013-11-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great 'stache.  Great race.  Great race report :-)

I see that Chris has another phrase to add to the Manatee lexicon -- pu see!

Thanks for sharing!

2013-11-18 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Awesome, awesome, awesome, so much awesomeness!!!  Congrats on a VERY solid, fast effort and I love that 'stache choice!  Ohmygoshyouaresofreakingfast!!!

Edited to add: your 'stache and the aviators make me want to sing 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys!

Edited by melbo55 2013-11-18 2:33 PM
2013-11-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Will you come here so you can pull me through my next race?

AWESOME STUFF!!!!!

2013-11-18 4:10 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by reecealan Get the FLOCK out of here!!!!!! Holy speed girls with mustaches Batman! You killed it Adrienne! That is some serious speed and it looks like XC racing is paying dividends. Very cool, I'm so happy for you

Thank you sir. Yes, XC has certainly helped (along with consistency and volume and solid workouts.)

It was hard to explain how those XC times aren't really an indicator. Now you can see what I mean

2013-11-18 4:14 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by switch

1) F n A on the 'stache

6) (And this is probably why you are one of the coolest cucumbers I know) you didn't freak your shyte when they effed up your time   hahaha--I probably would have gotten arrested.  You are so awesome!

Awwwww thanks.

Having her tuck is was partially me being nice and encouraging but it was also selfishly motivated. Having someone to battle with through the finish is going to be much better for both of our times. And if she beat me because of it? Well then I deserved to be beat!

The timing thing really was a drag. 

Thanks again!

2013-11-18 4:14 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmkizer

Great 'stache.  Great race.  Great race report :-)

I see that Chris has another phrase to add to the Manatee lexicon -- pu see!

Thanks for sharing!

HAHAHAHA! Totally. 

2013-11-18 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Daaaaamn girl. Nice rice.

Also: your stache-mate? (like a soul mate, but cooler)

(stache.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
stache.jpg (43KB - 11 downloads)
2013-11-18 11:34 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Master

Wowwee...  I think that stache gave you wings cuz you flew! (well, maybe not as fast as they told you at first, but still....)

6 seconds???? Next year. Oh yes, next year. A little more XC training, a little longer stache (more wingspan), a bit more pu see talk...you've got those 6secs easy.

2013-11-19 5:20 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I see those steroid injections are working on bringing down your time, and the hirsute side effects are manageable. Well done, uh, fella(?).
2013-11-19 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Very, very nice race, Adrienne! Second OA out of 1237 people...not 'inconceivable!', no not at all (and I do know what it means, unlike the peeps in the PB)
The timing foul up must have been annoying. Road racing is a different animal than X-C, but you are doing quite well in both. Pushing the volume of training up as you are doing should allow for some competitive times at the M. THAT distance is a very, very different animal.

This was outstanding race pacing and the final time (on a day when you had a little fatigue, a little sickness and less motivation as it was not a target race) justifies your higher level of fitness. I like the positive attitude telling athlete's you pass to 'tuck in', but I was a bit surprised at the lack of 'go for the throat competitive juice', that I believe you have in you. It must have been that this was simply not a race you wanted to win, or you would have. You will have many races on the podium, no worries.

Oh, and I would definitely go with a PRE-'stache next year....oh, yeah...that is a GREAT suggestion!
but there is no way I can comment on whether you look better with it or not, as I've yet to see a real picture of you, but I'm pretty sure I'd choose 'without' unless you are racing this particuliar race

Edited by dtoce 2013-11-19 8:34 AM
2013-11-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

been there done that

2013-11-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed

been there done that

no 'USA' shirt??

I presume that is you practicing your lean into the finish line for the victory...if you just simply run faster, you won't need to lean-ha
2013-11-19 2:39 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

It's a makeshift Oregon shirt, throwin' it way back.

Yeah, so I just need to beat Pre's 13:21:87 then I can skip the lean all together. Perfect.

2013-11-20 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Another stellar effort. Great job! I love the stache, the dache and the fact of the matter is that no one can ever claim that you are a pu see!

2013-11-20 11:46 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
New York

Originally posted by Asalzwed

been there done that

Haha. You wore it best.

2013-11-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I see those steroid injections are working on bringing down your time, and the hirsute side effects are manageable. Well done, uh, fella(?).

You son of a .... (shaking hairy knuckled fist)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mustache Dache Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mustache Dache

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 1704 Posts: 21

2012-12-31 10:50 AM MichelleK