General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)
OptionResults
I'd like one but it's too expensive87 Votes - [53.37%]
What do I need a coach for?31 Votes - [19.02%]
I enjoy writing my own plans23 Votes - [14.11%]
I use a pre-made plan12 Votes - [7.36%]
I use a custom training plan but not a coach (like BT Gold)3 Votes - [1.84%]
Coaches are dumb7 Votes - [4.29%]

2014-02-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote)

Originally posted by fisherman76 I tried to add a new option that Most coaches are scams, but it wouldn't let me.

I have a friend of a friend who was training for her first marathon and had a coach (nothing wrong with that). She did not have any athletic background, new to running, etc. (nothing wrong with that). Her coach had her doing track speedwork when she was running maybe 20-30 mpw (nope). She's a 5+ marathoner... she doesn't need speedwork on the track. She needs volume and consistency for now.

Edited by trishie 2014-02-25 10:26 AM

2014-02-25 10:49 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by fisherman76 I tried to add a new option that Most coaches are scams, but it wouldn't let me.

I have a friend of a friend who was training for her first marathon and had a coach (nothing wrong with that). She did not have any athletic background, new to running, etc. (nothing wrong with that). Her coach had her doing track speedwork when she was running maybe 20-30 mpw (nope). She's a 5+ marathoner... she doesn't need speedwork on the track. She needs volume and consistency for now.

that's the kind of crap I've seen, too. We had another thread going about this a little while ago specifically, and while we can debate the definition of 'speed work' and how fast that means we're running, common sense would dictate that someone targeting a 5+ time in a first marathon should spend more time at slower paces building distance and less time bounding around a track. A lot of 'coaches' have a theme that they're 'optimizing your performance', which they translate to 'fast', which misses the point completely for the vast majority of participants in multisport. 'Fast' is not a goal for most, it's the journey, the accomplishment, the mountain that's climbed... that's why I don't get what coaches are doing around beginners in the first place. If YOU finish the journey and get yourself there, YOU motivated yourself. If you didn't, you didn't. If you need to pay someone to motivate you, doesn't that cheapen the accomplishment? I don't know, maybe it doesn't. Clearly I miss the point!
2014-02-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

Originally posted by fisherman76that's why I don't get what coaches are doing around beginners in the first place. If YOU finish the journey and get yourself there, YOU motivated yourself. If you didn't, you didn't. If you need to pay someone to motivate you, doesn't that cheapen the accomplishment? I don't know, maybe it doesn't. Clearly I miss the point!

As a beginner who responded to the companion thread, I want to chime in to say, no, I don't think it cheapens any accomplishment to ask for help.

Five years ago, I learned to knit. I might have been able to do it via YouTube videos, but it seemed more efficient to ask a friend who knew how to knit for help. She could provide faster feedback on what my fingers were doing (versus what I *thought* they were doing). But asking for help didn't mean that she knit any of 50+ projects I've done since. I put in the hours, and asking for assistance doesn't negate that in any way.
2014-02-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Originally posted by DanielG

I tried to add my own and it wouldn't let me.

I'm in this for fun and not all that interested in a coach.

I also tried to add the same sentiments
2014-02-25 11:11 AM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by runbugjones
Originally posted by fisherman76that's why I don't get what coaches are doing around beginners in the first place. If YOU finish the journey and get yourself there, YOU motivated yourself. If you didn't, you didn't. If you need to pay someone to motivate you, doesn't that cheapen the accomplishment? I don't know, maybe it doesn't. Clearly I miss the point!
As a beginner who responded to the companion thread, I want to chime in to say, no, I don't think it cheapens any accomplishment to ask for help. Five years ago, I learned to knit. I might have been able to do it via YouTube videos, but it seemed more efficient to ask a friend who knew how to knit for help. She could provide faster feedback on what my fingers were doing (versus what I *thought* they were doing). But asking for help didn't mean that she knit any of 50+ projects I've done since. I put in the hours, and asking for assistance doesn't negate that in any way.

I agree with this.  When people ask for help with their swimming on BT, one of the most common responses is to get lessons.  Hiring a tri coach is really just a bigger version of that.

2014-02-25 11:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

As a beginner who responded to the companion thread, I want to chime in to say, no, I don't think it cheapens any accomplishment to ask for help. Five years ago, I learned to knit. I might have been able to do it via YouTube videos, but it seemed more efficient to ask a friend who knew how to knit for help. She could provide faster feedback on what my fingers were doing (versus what I *thought* they were doing). But asking for help didn't mean that she knit any of 50+ projects I've done since. I put in the hours, and asking for assistance doesn't negate that in any way.

I agree with this.  When people ask for help with their swimming on BT, one of the most common responses is to get lessons.  Hiring a tri coach is really just a bigger version of that.

Hmmmm.   I did IMAZ 2008 self coached in 12:45.   I did IM Canada last year coached in 13 flat.  I am prouder of the Canada finish.  My coach didn't motivate me to finish, I did.  I don't really understand that point of view.

2014-02-25 11:20 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I would love a coach. I have no money.

I would love a TT bike. I have an entry level road bike.

I would love massage and compression and a garmin. I have 2 kids.

I am however very lucky. My brother in law is a serious runner aiming to BQ and so he talks me thorugh a bunch to run injury free and improve. My sister in law is a personal traininer and she also help filter the crap.

I cannot afford a coach but a good support network is doing me a lot of good.
2014-02-25 11:24 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by fisherman76 Got $500 and the Triathlete Training Bible? Become a coach!

USAT level 1 certification is a clinic, a background check, and an online exam.  "The clinic is a two day lecture based clinic with opportunities to learn and network. Participants must attend the entire clinic in order to be eligible for certification. The minimum age for participation is 18. The fee is $555 which includes lunch for the two full days of the clinic and the registration fees"

That's pretty min-bar IMHO, but people have to start somewhere after all.

Start somewhere yes. I would and will argue that mentorships, reading books, interacting with coaches, talking at races, reading online, etc all overwhelming beat the 48 cramfest and regurgitation that is USAT Level i Clinic.

I started coaching last year. I come from an education deep rooted in exercise and sport science, I work with various levels of athletes in many different sports. I have done several coaching mentorships, I read lots of books and critically think about application and if I agree/disagree with them. I talk to coaches at races, I ask questions, I write. Basically I expose myself to as much as I possibly can.

My big problem with the clinic is that it is a lot of koolaid drinkers that learn zero application, that is not the problem with other methods. If you go to this clinic I highly suggest critically thinking, asking why, how, instead of just soaking it all in.
2014-02-25 11:29 AM

Originally posted by ChrisM

Hmmmm.   I did IMAZ 2008 self coached in 12:45.   I did IM Canada last year coached in 13 flat.  I am prouder of the Canada finish.  My coach didn't motivate me to finish, I did.  I don't really understand that point of view.

My friend didn't motivate me to knit, either. I was motivated to learn, and asked for help to do it. But either way, *I* was driving the experience. Ask any personal trainer about the clients who pay the bill and don't do the work: motivation is internal.

ETA: I'm a dunce to boot. I think you were actually agreeing with me?

Edited by runbugjones 2014-02-25 11:30 AM
2014-02-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Lots of interesting responses here:

Money seems to be big for most and I completely understand that. Keep in mind coaches that charge say $200 a month break down the hours. I think a lot of people here responding have had bad experiences or do not know all that goes into coaching. For example, staying on top of what research says, new training methods, recovery, etc are all part of the job that takes TIME and lots forget about that

Motivation is also another one that seems to be coming up. People say they don't need a motivator and some hire coaches for this reason.

Performances are good without a coach. This can be true but I think athletes often sometimes think they might be performing to their capabilities when in reality they could do much better on a guided plan with a clear end goal.

Hobby, hey if this is a hobby and you want to keep it fun and low pressure then a coach isn't for you.

I feel that a lot of people responding here have had bad experiences and/or don't have a coach that did more then just the training plan. To be honest the training plan should be a fraction of the coaching that is involved.

Good thoughts and a good discussion going on in this thread.

Suzanne for your webinar I think one of the biggest focuses one must have that is self coached is a very honest and critical assessment of themselves weekly. I've had a couple discussions with Thomas Gerlach (a self-trained pro) about this, and he has a very interesting philosophy on training and development.
2014-02-25 11:33 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I've paid for a coach in the past and received valuable information, training plans, assessments, etc. My situation (training time, injuries, race lengths, goals) has not changed materially, so I am essentially re-using the information I paid for when I had the coach. No sense in paying again for the same information/experience.

2014-02-25 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I used a coach when I had more complicated training needs and couldn't put together a useful plan on my own.  I hired her when I was gearing up to do my first half distance race and I really credit her for the good experience.  I especially learned a LOT about nutrition that really made the experience for me.  She definitely scaled it to my expectations and abilities but did also introduce me to speedwork, for instance, and pushed me much further than I even would have gone.    I was more targeted in my training and more motivated knowing she was paying attention.

This year I am taking a more laid back approach and with stock training plans I can get where I need to go safely.  I have reached a personal plateau and know what I would need to do to make progress and am not really interested.  If I wanted to try that again, I'd definitely go back to a coach.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2014-02-25 12:07 PM
2014-02-25 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Low perceived benefit-cost ratio.

I would never get a coach unless I truly believed I couldn't achieve an outcome on my own given certain self-imposed constraints (e.g. time to accomplish a desired goal).
2014-02-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Wow thanks for all the replies to this thread I really like the discussion.

It seems to me like not being able ot add an option is a bug in the forum software. At least I got most of the big ones people are mentioning. Good stuff.
2014-02-25 12:30 PM

User image

Similar to the lines of what Marc posted earlier, I don't think I would get a coach unless I started getting closer to my true potential and needed someone to help me find those small improvements over the competition.

Right now I'm doing pretty well by just training on my own and abosorbing most of the free knowledge available.  I am still learning things this way and I still have low hanging fruit in some ares.  Could I do it faster with a good coach, possibly...but most coaches out there wouldn't fit my criteria anyway as far as what kind of power analysis I would like for the bike.  Especially since half or more of my season is usually spent bike racing.

The other reason I would consider a coach is if I took another shot at IM.  I think in that case, I really need someone to help build me a plan that will get my fitness up, but also keep me from burning myself out.  I think I overdid it in my first attempt, and because IM is a huge investment for me (requires a minimum of 3000 miles of travel and at least a 4 night stay...likely 6 nights to make it worth my while), getting a coach for my next IM is a strong possibility to help ensure the race meets my expectations.

2014-02-25 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Disagree. Learning to swim is learning a skill.

2014-02-25 12:51 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by trishie

Disagree. Learning to swim is learning a skill.

I suspect the coaches would tell you that coaching is a skill too.  

2014-02-25 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I do it purely for pleasure and as an outlet for stress. I have no need for a coach, i am happy going solo and satisfied with where i am at for my age.
2014-02-25 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
This is an unusual sport for one person to be great at coaching IMO. I was a competitive swimmer in HS and college. I had some excellent coaches and one really bad one. It would take a lot to convince me that a good coach in a single sport is not better at training me for that sport than a tri coach. So for me it comes down to what do I need from a coach.

I don't think a coach at this point in my life (late 50's) is necessary for my swimming. I have sufficient skills and training to get to where I want to be to do a tri, even an IM.

Likewise while not an expert by any means on a bike, I don't think a coach would add sufficient incremental value over what I can accomplish by reading and following training regimens already created by people far smarter than I in that discipline.

Running on the other hand is a completely different story. I suck at it, always have. A few months ago I had a total hip replacement necessitated by a cycling accident. My doctors wants me to change to a running style that is less impactful than my current heal strike style. So would I be better off with a tri coach or a running coach? I think a running coach if I went with a coach.

So what about the tri specific stuff like transitions and bricks and nutrition. Does a coach provide enough value in those areas? I have no idea. Please understand I mean no disrespect to the good coaches out there. I am sure there are lots of them, for the right person at the right stage in their training. I will never be a pro level competitor where I do think they are needed. If you need structure and motivation a good coach can be invaluable. For a MOP AGer looking to get closer to the front just not sure it's necessary.
2014-02-25 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

So I do have a coach, but for many years I didn't have a personal one because I had lots of group coaches.

I am in a masters swim club, so I have access to the coaches there. I ride at the velodrome where there are coached training sessions. I joined a run club, so there were coaches there too. (Now I don't run though) So I guess that was a good reason for me not to have a personal coach. But now I have specific goals that I appreciate having a coach put together a plan for, so that everything works together.

I still have the masters swim coaches, as well as the velodrome coach and I go to classes at the gym, so there are trainers/coaches there. However my personal coach puts it all together and tells me what I should be doing when.

So I didn't vote as to why I don't have a coach because I do, but just wanted to provide this feedback about why I didn't have a coach for many years.

2014-02-25 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I put expense, which is a part of it. The other part is that my goals are such that a coach would be a waste of time as well as money. If my goals were such that imporvement and FOP were a part of it, then I'd certainly invest in one.

2014-02-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I do not have a coach.  

I don't feel most people need a coach.  If you want one, good on you.  This is a hobby for most everyone, and paying for a coach makes it "too serious".  This is just my opinion.  There are people who need a coach, and people who want a coach, but most do not.  For those who participate in Ironman, I can understand the need for help and direction, but that is a very small portion of our sport.

2014-02-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown I voted "Why do I need a coach?", but a few additional thoughts: - I'm a very self-motivated person. I follow my own marathon plans, prefer training alone, etc. Maybe it's a little conceited, but I like knowing that I and I alone am responsible for my achievements. - I'm already held accountable for work, and having to "report" to someone kind of takes away the fun. -

This resonates with me, especially the "report" to someone.  I hadn't thought of that before, but I recall when I did have a coach that is what sort of bugged me. Thanks for posting.

Also, one other thing, at least in my experience and stories from friends: coaches bring DRAMA I don't need. 

Drama like personal issues causing scheduling issues (have to move the meeting because little Billy had a bad day at school so Mom has to visit the school). 

Drama like recommending fitters, chiropractors, etc and getting upset if you went somewhere else (I suspect a kickback aka referral arrangement). 

Drama like clearly being second fiddle to the more hard-core athletes. Some coaches clearly focus on their Kona-bound athletes, but need a bunch of BOP and MOP as well as IM bucket-listers on their roster to pay the bills. So as a coach, they build their reputation on the Kona-bound folks, use that to sell themselves to regular Joe Ironman, but Joe doesn't actually get the level of attention & focus he thought he'd get.

Or big drama. Locally there was a married couple that both coached. The husband had an affair with one of his coached athletes, the wife found out, they got divorced, both continued coaching, you had to pick which way you were going to go.  Who needs that?

I can relate to this as well. I may ride the bike tomorrow, I may run. Or I may spend some time drinking beer with my buds or seeing a kids movie with my daughter, reminds me I need to see the Lego movie. Anyhow I'm a random trainer and it's nice to not have to follow a plan. I'm in a cycling focused mentor group and for once I'm able to follow a workout schedule but I do them when I want to and it's fun. Kind of like masters swimming, someone writes up a workout and I do it, without thinking. But that's starting to border into what a coach would give you....a workout to follow.

I like having lots of mentors and not a single coach, it's quite flexible. Now if I wanted to go for Kona, perhaps a coach, and a GOOD one at that, may be required to get there. But I'm still having fun, staying healthy and that's what's important.
2014-02-25 2:17 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

This resonates with me, especially the "report" to someone.  I hadn't thought of that before, but I recall when I did have a coach that is what sort of bugged me. Thanks for posting.

Also, one other thing, at least in my experience and stories from friends: coaches bring DRAMA I don't need. 

Drama like personal issues causing scheduling issues (have to move the meeting because little Billy had a bad day at school so Mom has to visit the school). 

Drama like recommending fitters, chiropractors, etc and getting upset if you went somewhere else (I suspect a kickback aka referral arrangement). 

Drama like clearly being second fiddle to the more hard-core athletes. Some coaches clearly focus on their Kona-bound athletes, but need a bunch of BOP and MOP as well as IM bucket-listers on their roster to pay the bills. So as a coach, they build their reputation on the Kona-bound folks, use that to sell themselves to regular Joe Ironman, but Joe doesn't actually get the level of attention & focus he thought he'd get.

Or big drama. Locally there was a married couple that both coached. The husband had an affair with one of his coached athletes, the wife found out, they got divorced, both continued coaching, you had to pick which way you were going to go.  Who needs that?

Yeah if I had a coach that caused drama like that I would fire them.
My (only) experience with a coach was the opposite of all these situations you presented.
A friend's wedding came up that I traveled to - coach re-arranged the schedule so it all worked out, got my long run in on the boardwalk looking at the ocean.
After I asked, he recommended an ART specialist because they took my insurance. I never went, he never brought it up again.
I was definitely his BOP athlete, but never "felt" that way.

I think it's on the individual (athlete) if they accept that level of drama - especially when paying that kind of money. 

2014-02-25 2:29 PM

User image

Seattle

This is complicated for me.

Our club has a coach and so I let his workouts dictate a lot of the quality stuff that I do but everything else is on my own. I bounce things off of him every now and again and he suggests races and whatnot but I don't pay him and therefore don't consider him "my" coach.

If he were "my" coach and I were paying him I would be very, very picky. I don't feel I have any issues with motivation or the ability to push myself to hit certain paces. I also have worked hard to have a really good idea of how my body responds to different training stimulus and what a pace "feels" like.

For me, the coach would more be used for structuring my macro/micro cycles and picking races that accomplish specific goals. And with that being said, how much would that cost and would it be worth it? Maybe a coach would have more to offer me than that, but I'm not really sure?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why DONT you have a coach? (please vote) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Why dont you like CF or CFE?

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 1834 Posts: 18

2009-09-28 6:27 PM mkarr0110

Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 9530 Posts: 150

2008-03-24 3:37 PM kenail

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2199 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri

Started by CountyFox
Views: 1390 Posts: 18

2006-08-03 9:08 AM Gwendal

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1551 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : October 31, 2004
author : infosteward
Buried beneath election rhetoric about stem-cell research, gender in marriage and taxes are issues that could seriously affect your newfound hobby – triathlons.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.