General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your long-term plan/goal? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-25 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: What is your long-term plan/goal?
Good discussions on BT today and so while reading the why not/why coaching threads I got a bit curious.

What is your short-term goal (6-12 months)

What are your long-term goals (1-5 years)

Do you have a 5-year plan?

If no, do you just participate in this sport for run and see the improvements as they may appear?

A huge part of a coach-athlete relationship is a well laid out long term plan and I think many don't realize this. Not saying this is the only way to go, or the right way, I just think so many athletes fail to see the benefits of this.

Not trying to urge anyone into a coaching of any sort, but today's discussions have me interested to what people strive for.

2014-02-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: What is your long-term plan/goal?

Qualify for 2015 Sprint Worlds in Chicago and have another top 5 overall placement in the Maryland Triathlon Series

Become competitive for overall in local Olympic Triathlons/compete in the Olympic at Age Group Nationals.

Somewhat. At this point I am developing a good swim and working on my run mechanics. I can now hold my own in the water and hurt people one the bike. The next step is to turn my run into a weapon. Trying to make decisions that will make me faster in the long term, not just in the short term.

If no, do you just participate in this sport for run and see the improvements as they may appear?

Winning is fun!

2014-02-25 3:03 PM

User image

Short term:
Be able to do a century again. Completely recover from the last few years. Get back to hollering distance with my IM weight.

Short-short term goal:
Be able to ride more than an hour without HR spiking to 195+ when I'm used to having 138-142 HR for 6 hour rides.

5 year plan:
Be alive at the end of it. I've got good odds but beyond that everything else is gravy.

1-5 year plan:
Hopefully be in any kind of shape to do Bone Island HIM Aqua bike. I guess I'm done running but I can still swim and bike.
Do an organized 25/50/100 mile ride every month during the summer and fall.
2014-02-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Seattle

This is a pure runner-perspective, buuuut:

What is your short-term goal (6-12 months
PR in the Boston Marathon, take a short break, work on my speed in the spring/summer (maybe run Club T&F Nationals)

What are your long-term goals (1-5 years
Transition the summer speed with a little more endurance, Race PNTF Championships in 10K and Half Marathon (HM being the A race if I had to pick one) Then I have to decide on either a fall/winter Marathon or transition into cross country.

Overall, keep up the periodization over a season with races laid out along the way. Despite the variety of speeds and distances, marathon improvement is the lense I will look through

Just to continue to become a faster, smarter runner (specifically marathon) and keep ahead of injuries to the best of my ability

2014-02-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I would like my training to allow me to live a healthy/active lifestyle life until about 85....at which time, due to diminished health and mobility,  I'd like to become a monumental financial burden to my children.   

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-25 3:04 PM
2014-02-25 3:05 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by dmiller5

Qualify for 2015 Sprint Worlds in Chicago and have another top 5 overall placement in the Maryland Triathlon Series

Become competitive for overall in local Olympic Triathlons/compete in the Olympic at Age Group Nationals.

Somewhat. At this point I am developing a good swim and working on my run mechanics. I can now hold my own in the water and hurt people one the bike. The next step is to turn my run into a weapon. Trying to make decisions that will make me faster in the long term, not just in the short term.

Winning is fun!

Minus the whole Maryland thing (you danged Yankee!), Dave and I sound so similar that it's almost scary.

2014-02-25 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Ok, I'll be serious with this one unlike the coaching one

Build swim and bike potential to be more on par with run potential. 70.3 World's. Mid 16 5k, sub 35 10k.

What are your long-term goals (1-5 years) 

Kona. Towards the end- ultrarunning with goals to qualify for some of the bigger ones.

A coach

2014-02-25 3:17 PM

Short term: Finish one, maybe two, sprint triathlons without major injury

Long term goal: Graduate school?

5-year plan: Learn to play the violin and become fluent in Korean

I'm trying out something athletic for the first time as an adult. I have no ambitions for competition or podiums. I just want to have fun doing it and get out when I find something better to do.
2014-02-25 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
No specific goals at this time. I just want to generally stay healthy, have fun, train steady, and do a few races per year.

This so I can stay in good enough shape that on any given weekend at a drop of a hat I could run a 10k, do a Sprint Tri, go backpacking or on a serious hike, snow or water ski, golf, or scuba dive.
2014-02-25 3:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

I would like my training to allow me to live a healthy/active lifestyle life until about 85....at which time, due to diminished health and mobility,  I'd like to become a monumental financial burden to my children.   

Winner!
2014-02-25 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Active pregnancy, keep running around 30 mpw, "race" , take time to recover after L+D

What are your long-term goals (1-5 years
BQ

Not five years, but ... next year and maybe the following, depending on pregnancy/ birth/ newborn: race HMs, get to where I need to be to BQ (high 1:30s)
2016/ 2017: train for and BQ, run Boston
after that... maybe return to tris?

Edited by trishie 2014-02-25 3:35 PM

2014-02-25 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

this was actually shown before. Keep your goals to yourself.

http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.h...

2014-02-25 3:47 PM

I got into triathlons last year. I ran and biked but the swimming has been rough starting at 43.

Short term 6 -12 months - Work on swimming, compete in sprint triathlons I did last year greatly improving the swim time. See if I can be ready for 1 Olympic event. Run KY Derby 1/2 marathon in April. Sprint tri's in Aug and Sep. 1 open water sprint or olympic before the year is out.

Long term 1 - 5 years - Next year do multiple olympics and try to be ready for a half IM. Then keep working toward a full IM. I live in KY so doing the Louisville IM will be a great experience. 5 years puts me very close to 50 but if I feel like I do now I'll still be in the best shape of my life.

5 year plan - It's all about Kaizan. Continuous improvement. Don't worry about the younger guys I'm training with and just be stronger and faster with every workout and every competition. I would LOVE to qualify for Kona and take my wife there for a vacation.
2014-02-25 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I  normally plan my races out a year in advance.  I like to race about once a month.  My two 'bookend' 'A' races this year are the Sarasota half marathon in two weeks and the Rev3 FL Oly in November.   I significantly increased my training volume last year which resulted in PR's at 5K, 5 miles, HM and sprint tri.  I was able to benefit from a 'perfect storm' last year when I not only improved my individual performance, but also aged-up to M60-64 and was able to take advantage of thinner fields in my AG (even managed an AG podium in my last tri last year - a 2nd).  I'm hoping to see continued improvement this year.  I'd also like to lose another 15 pounds.

At age 60, I'm pretty much taking things year-to-year at this point.  At the end of November I'll take stock and decide what I want to shoot for in 2015.  I've been able to effectively manage some chronic over-use injuries over the past few years, but another significant injury might cause me to re-evaluate.   

The main objective is to stay healthy & active.  I've got a few 'bucket list' things, but nothing I'm obssessed with.  I'd definitely like to do the Indy Mini Marathon one year.  I've also toyed with the idea of doing a master's swim meet just for fun. I have family in the Louisville area and the thought of doing the IM crosses my mind from time to time.

Mark

2014-02-25 4:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

this was actually shown before. Keep your goals to yourself. http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.h...

It's not really a goal as much as it is a plan.

2014-02-25 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

this was actually shown before. Keep your goals to yourself. http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.h...

Why do I have images of Jr putting you and your walker on the overspeed treadmill and pressing "launch"

2014-02-25 5:05 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Short term goal: Bike racing, road and track

I plan to race all local road events and washington state stage races. This is the same thing I have been doing for the past few years. However, this year I have a different goal. I plan on racing a track UCI race in Japan in the middle of July. This year I am spending a bit more time on the track taking some time away from the road (mostly spending the extra time practicing standing starts and non-endurance events that I didn't care that much about before) and I am spending a lot more time in the gym.

Long term goals: I don't have one. I take it on a year-by-year season-by-season basis. I am getting older though, so I'm not sure how much longer I will still race at the elite level.

I guess I've always thought of the long term goals as the seasons goals and the short term goals as this training blocks goals.

Edited by jeng 2014-02-25 5:09 PM
2014-02-25 5:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Short term goals are to set PR's for over 40-year-old (I'm now 52) in 5k, 10k, HM, and marathon.  Knocked off the 10k goal last weekend.  The rest will fall this Spring.  I'd also like to break 20 minutes for 5k.  For tri's, I want to PR Olympic and qualify for nationals (a long shot).  I will also crush my HIM PR if I get a chance to race one.

My primary long term goal is to run Boston.

No 5 year plan.  Just that I want to be healthy enough to keep enjoying all this as long as I can.

2014-02-25 5:43 PM

User image

Pro

Why do I have images of Jr putting you and your walker on the overspeed treadmill and pressing "launch"

HAHA!!  Yeah, the plan isn't completely formulated yet.

2014-02-25 5:49 PM

User image

The next 6-8 months are devoted to bike racing.  My goals are to simply see what I can do while only having to worry about bike training.  For TT's, goals are simple...PR.  I don't have any concrete goals for road racing...as they are much harder to define than triathlon goals.  Road races have nothing to do with the clock, are dynamic, and sometimes success is defined by sacrificing yourself for a teammate.

For the next 1+ years...I don't have any goals yet.  I may stick to bike racing for a while if I enjoy how this season goes, or I may go back to tris.  If I go back to tris, I'm not sure what distances I would focus on.

If you asked me 2 years ago...what my 1-5 year plan was, I likely would have given you a very different answer...that had each year mapped out.

2014-02-25 6:19 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Get back to competition after losing a year due to a cycling accident. I would like to get 1 Sprint and 1 Oly done this year.

Because the accident I referenced above required a full hip replacement my doctors will only allow me one IM, then I have to give up running. As a swimmer who loves to bike and hates to run, not the worst thing in the world. But that’s my goal, finish my one and only IM.

I will continue to do Aqua/Bike events but have a few other things that look interesting for me. One is a long distance swim. Some options: the Great Salt Lake Open Water Marathon Swim; Boston Light Swim; or my preference today would be the Swim 4 Freedom at Lake Geneva WI (8.2 mile). The other would be a Randonneur. So long distance swims or long distance rides.

2014-02-25 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Short term, do well in my first ironman distance.

Long term, do great at the ironman distance, or...if I don't like it, do great at the half ironman distance, which I do love.

I have no plans beyond that. Life is a moving target, I'll never catch the rabbit!
2014-02-25 7:30 PM

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
(6-12 months)-
1) Win clydesdale division at HyVee
2) Qualify for 2015 AG Nationals
3) Continuing to build overall speed in all 3 disciplines

(1-5 years)-
1) Become competitive in my AG at HIM distance
2) Make it to Kona
3) Make it to Sprint Worlds

(5 years-death)-
1) Enjoy the sport of triathlon until my body gives out on me
2014-02-25 9:53 PM

User image

, Jawa Barat
6-12 months= Finish my first Sprint Tri (April 13), finish my first olympic Tri ( May 17) and finish my first HIM (July 12).

Long term Goals = quailify for Kona before I turn 30 (I am 25).

I know that I have yet to finish ANY triathlon, but I am determined to meet my goals, expecially Kona, and I know that I can do it. I am getting excited just thinking about it!
2014-02-26 3:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Short term: a couple duathlon sprints, 70.3 him duathlon and run the baltimore marathon. My 6-12 month is run boston in 2015 and run the marathon de sables in the sahara desert for 2015. Long term would be to run a marathon in the gobi desert.

Edited by yarislab 2014-02-26 3:14 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your long-term plan/goal? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Long Term / Short Term Goals

Started by crr5071
Views: 1419 Posts: 12

2013-04-26 8:47 AM RedCorvette

Setting up long term and short term goals in log

Started by Sharyn5
Views: 846 Posts: 3

2010-04-26 10:25 AM Sharyn5

My Long, LONG Term Goal

Started by MikeTheBear
Views: 925 Posts: 9

2007-01-11 5:40 PM MikeTheBear

Long Term Goal...met! Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 1050 Posts: 30

2006-01-11 11:43 AM karris

Long term goals

Started by Freak Monk
Views: 604 Posts: 7

2005-08-15 3:57 PM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : May 21, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I have a pinched nerve in my neck at C6 which is causing a burning pain in the upper shoulder and down the triceps of my right arm. I worry about training and doing long-term nerve damage.
date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.