BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-14 8:28 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I've been watching the Volume graphs on my log.  They look fairly consistent.  So I decided to look back at the actual hours I've logged over the last six weeks.  They were not quite equal, but pretty consistent and close to each other.  I'm thinking that is a good thing for my overall plan.

I remember reading somewhere (years ago) it is impossible to win a triathlon in the swim.  Okay.  I suppose I can see that, most triathletes come from one of those other two disciplines.  That doesn't mean that I am going to ease up on my swim hours though.  I may not be able to WIN a race in the swim, but I am sure as heck not going to LOSE one in the swim either.

The swim, specifically open water, is what scares most people about doing a tri. Also you can't get to stage 2 without completing stage 1. So keep swimming. Its great low impact exercise to boot!

2020-02-14 8:46 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by nrpoulin Hey guys sorry I have been MIA with all my travel. Was hoping to catch up on the thread a little but my internet at home as been reduced to dialup speeds. Going to goof off a little at work today and see if I can make some head way. Had a great time in Vegas and didn't gamble once! Nice hike at Arizona hot springs, but didn't make it to Red Rock Canyon. Excited to see the bike course up for Virginia Blue Ridge so lots of work to do the next few months. NP

The bike course looks amazing!

Wow, almost 4k of elevation in 56 miles! That is something else

Closed course. Blue Ridge Parkway.

Here is the pdf of that bike course. At the bottom is the elevation gains/losses.

https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/889b-2104693/IM_703V...

I have never made a climb like this on a bike, but it looks pretty insane. The rest of the course doesn't look bad, or am I just ignorant and fooling myself? I've read about how St. George is up there in terms of difficulty. Looking at the St. George course, there are several up and down sections, and then the massive climb really starts around mile 37 and doesn't end until about mile 48. Virginia appears to start the massive climb around mile 23, and it only lasts 4 miles or so. So it is much earlier in the ride in VA (fresher legs), and doesn't last nearly as long. But, St. George looks to be about a 1200 ft gain over that span, whereas Virginia is about double 2000? That seems like an insanely hard climb for Virginia, but if you make that, you'll be ok. Thoughts?

I am interested in this race as a good friend of mine owns a bike shop in Roanoke and trying to convince me to come do this in 2021.

Do et!!!
2020-02-14 8:52 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by nrpoulin
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I was surfing Manatee training logs just now.  I know I shouldn't be doing comparisons in my head, but I can't help myself.  As I've mentioned before, I have a 21 yr old Marine living in the back of my head and he is totally an overly-competitive Type A personality.  Which brings me to the point of this post.

I clicked over to Laura's website/blog and read her post where she said she hates Zone 2 work, because " ...I really hate to slow down."  I can so relate to that feeling.  I'm curious whether this is a common attitude among triathletes?  Who else has this struggle?

I know it is a huge challenge for me.  I have read about training zones, and I have tried to use them in the past.  In fact, I'm going to try to do it again tomorrow.  My bike is supposed to be 50 minutes on Alpine Splash, but I think I wanted to try to hold back just a little bit this time.  At my age, weight, and very basic level of fitness it doesn't much for me to jump the ticker up to Zone 2 and beyond.  Looking back at my previous Alpine Splash rides I see my Avg HR's have been at 80% or above , with Max HR's reaching well into the 90%+ range.  So tomorrow I am going to try to hold myself back, try to keep my Avg HR somewhere in the 70% range, and hopefully keep my Max HR in the lower 80% range.

My plan is probably going to be reducing gears while still trying to rpm's in the 60's, which seems to be my natural cadence.  Opinions?

Hey Mike, Sorry I am a little behind in here. I consistently struggle at zone 2 running. Some paces just feel awkward and change your stride. I have really be focusing on zone 2 this year for running. I don't know my zones for cycling but hope to soon. For now I have just been doing Netflix time on the bike trainer. That has to change really soon. My new watch does HR in the water which I have enjoyed. I tried to do a swim speed test yesterday but the darn pool closed before I could finish. I think CSS uses more pace zoned that HR zones. NP

This x a million! The training program i am currently following has me doing so much zone 2 running and I HATE it for the reasons stated and bc i feel like i'm not getting anywhere! I know that my current zones are the result of doing a TT on completely fried legs so they may not be accurate which makes things even harder. Assuming the little soreness i have in a leg muscle goes away today, I plan on running a 4 mile race tomorrow and using it as another assessment -first part of the race as warm up and then finish 5k as the TT. I am way out of run shape, so I'm not expecting huge improvements, but i am desperate to inch up my zone 2 pace!

I did do for running and have been trying Z2 since the new year because i decided to do the Fink HIM plan where the bulk is in Z2. I had recent HM to base run HR on and i was so frustrated that I retested and got a MHR only 1 beat higher (LOL!) BUT I did manage to miss the part of the book that explains to the Zones and for Fink it is NOT 60-70% (it's 75-84%) .... so reading your HR methods correctly is important! 

I use the lactate threshold test and repeat every 4 weeks. Just figured out today I didn't update my zones from 2 weeks ago. Since my threshold HR went up 4 bpm I may have been more successful the last few weeks than I thought!
2020-02-14 9:17 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Finally caught up. Go Me!

Was thinking of upgrading my bike from my entry level tri to a new midlevel bike with fancy wheels. I do most of my rides on my fluid trainer in the room over the garage unless I can hit a group ride or can work in a ride on my MTB. Decided maybe it would be best to look into a wheel set and upgrade my trainer.

Question: Smart trainers ... what do people use and how do you like it? Leaning toward H3 since I can by from REI. I have reviewed DC rainmaker but was wondering what others thought. Was between the SUITO, the H3, and kickr Core. Like the idea of structured workouts and riding my 70.3 course on Rouvy since I live in the flat, flat south east.

NP
2020-02-14 11:38 PM

Was thinking of upgrading my bike from my entry level tri to a new midlevel bike with fancy wheels. I do most of my rides on my fluid trainer in the room over the garage unless I can hit a group ride or can work in a ride on my MTB. Decided maybe it would be best to look into a wheel set and upgrade my trainer.

Question: Smart trainers ... what do people use and how do you like it? Leaning toward H3 since I can by from REI. I have reviewed DC rainmaker but was wondering what others thought. Was between the SUITO, the H3, and kickr Core. Like the idea of structured workouts and riding my 70.3 course on Rouvy since I live in the flat, flat south east.

NP

I love my wahoo Kickr snap. It's a wheel on trainer, and maybe you're looking for a direct drive, but that's what I figured was reasonable for my budget. But I have nothing bad to say about wahoo, and read a ton of reviews before buying. And I got it from REI.
2020-02-15 4:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by nrpoulin Finally caught up. Go Me! Was thinking of upgrading my bike from my entry level tri to a new midlevel bike with fancy wheels. I do most of my rides on my fluid trainer in the room over the garage unless I can hit a group ride or can work in a ride on my MTB. Decided maybe it would be best to look into a wheel set and upgrade my trainer. Question: Smart trainers ... what do people use and how do you like it? Leaning toward H3 since I can by from REI. I have reviewed DC rainmaker but was wondering what others thought. Was between the SUITO, the H3, and kickr Core. Like the idea of structured workouts and riding my 70.3 course on Rouvy since I live in the flat, flat south east. NP

I have the Suito and like it a lot, but I've seen some that others have complained that their's registers lower watts than their PM. Since I have not used my PM while on the Suito and I wouldn't know how to compare the 2 numbers even if i did, I can not comment! I know the KICKR had some complaints about accuracy too, but believe I read where that is not much of an issue these days.  I haven't heard anything bad about the H3. I bought my Suito during the black Friday etc sales and almost immediately after buying the H3 went on an even bigger sale and I kicked myself for pulling the trigger so quickly on the Suito !

2020-02-15 7:16 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Totally random thought:. Why is it called the Jo-Go Challenge?
2020-02-15 7:24 AM
in reply to: #5267246

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Chiming on on 2 things:

Di2--I LOVE it! I never realized how much I would love it until I had it. I have not had any issues with mine, charge it once every few months OR right before a race. On mine, once the battery gets low, it automatically shifts into the small chain ring and won't allow you back into the big one until it's been recharged. What I like best is being able to shift from the bar ends while climbing vs always having to reach up to the aero bars.

HRM-I have the Scosche Rhythm+ which I wear around my upper forearm. After years of cutting up my sternum with a chest strap, I went to this & never looked back. The Scosche gets solid reviews from DC Rainmaker.
2020-02-15 7:54 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by glfprncs Chiming on on 2 things: Di2--I LOVE it! I never realized how much I would love it until I had it. I have not had any issues with mine, charge it once every few months OR right before a race. On mine, once the battery gets low, it automatically shifts into the small chain ring and won't allow you back into the big one until it's been recharged. What I like best is being able to shift from the bar ends while climbing vs always having to reach up to the aero bars. HRM-I have the Scosche Rhythm+ which I wear around my upper forearm. After years of cutting up my sternum with a chest strap, I went to this & never looked back. The Scosche gets solid reviews from DC Rainmaker.

I just bought a bike with SRAM eTap. Can't wait to ride it outside and use the shifting.  It's so smooth versus the DA mechanical I had on my old bike. 

2020-02-15 8:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16
Curtis - Out Law 135 mile trail run (pacing brother for 20 miles)
Chris - ONG Metric ride on Sunday
Melanie - Frozen Foot #2 on Sunday
Jim, Ann-Marie. Janyne - Tour of Sufferlandria (all week)

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers! I salute Ann-Marie and Janyne for joining me in The Grand Tour.
2020-02-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers! I salute Ann-Marie and Janyne for joining me in The Grand Tour.

Yes, go git em racers!

Jim I may be joining you and Janyne in The Grand Tour but i will be wimping out on most of the rides and reducing intensity -no nuclear option for me! Right now i'm sitting outside on patio, drinking coffee, tv on in the background, dog playing in the yard and trying to convince myself it's a good idea to sit on the trainer 2 hours! 

2020-02-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Yes, go git em racers!

Jim I may be joining you and Janyne in The Grand Tour but i will be wimping out on most of the rides and reducing intensity -no nuclear option for me! Right now i'm sitting outside on patio, drinking coffee, tv on in the background, dog playing in the yard and trying to convince myself it's a good idea to sit on the trainer 2 hours! 

Of course it's a good idea to get on the trainer for two hours! Doh!

2020-02-15 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by nrpoulin Finally caught up. Go Me! Was thinking of upgrading my bike from my entry level tri to a new midlevel bike with fancy wheels. I do most of my rides on my fluid trainer in the room over the garage unless I can hit a group ride or can work in a ride on my MTB. Decided maybe it would be best to look into a wheel set and upgrade my trainer. Question: Smart trainers ... what do people use and how do you like it? Leaning toward H3 since I can by from REI. I have reviewed DC rainmaker but was wondering what others thought. Was between the SUITO, the H3, and kickr Core. Like the idea of structured workouts and riding my 70.3 course on Rouvy since I live in the flat, flat south east. NP

I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap. I like it well enough.  Since I got it, though, the price of the direct drive/wheel off trainers has really come down. I may consider and upgrade in the fall and the H3 is definitely on my radar. I've heard good things about them. The Kickr Core seems to be a popular model as well. I don't think that you can really go wrong with any of the models that you are looking at so shopping by prices is probably a good reasonably good plan.

2020-02-15 10:40 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

go get em kids!!

Oh and for HRM - wahoo all the way. Reliable and good customer service. although since I got my fenix I use the wrist and gave my tickr to DH.
2020-02-15 10:45 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

NP

DH and I both have kickrs and love them.

No matter what you get, you're doing the right thing with research and checking DCR. You can't go wrong with any of the big names.

I've never tried Rouvy but it's on my list if I do a "new to me race" that's out there. The only 1 things on my calendar for this year are new so I'm holding off for now.

Also, around here lots of LBSs have demo days where you can try the smart trainer so see if any of them are doing that around you!
2020-02-15 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

ONG turned into NO NG for me. It was a tentative, TBH and work may cause issues this weekend. But there will be riding with TW, so that's even better.

2020-02-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Totally random thought:. Why is it called the Jo-Go Challenge?

A few years back we had a Manatee that went by the name of JoGo.  She created the original challenge. The challenge has grown and morphed since then, but the name remains the same.

2020-02-15 12:47 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Yes, go git em racers!

Of course it's a good idea to get on the trainer for two hours! Doh!

10 degrees outside and a snow storm coming, the trainer didn't seem like a bad option. It's going to be tricky for me, I have a conference the last half of the week. I'm going to have to be creative to get all of the stages in on time.
2020-02-15 11:05 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

go get em kids!! Oh and for HRM - wahoo all the way. Reliable and good customer service. although since I got my fenix I use the wrist and gave my tickr to DH.

Gooo racers!

2020-02-15 11:21 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Well, my tight chest and high heart rate are not due to my weight gain and being out of shape.  My ferritin level is 5 . Explains quite a number of other symptoms I am having too.

I was low a few years back too, but caught it at 10. Hoping I can get it back up to a reasonable level quickly! Re-started my iron supplement again last night. Kicking myself because I have been feeling 'not quite right' for a little while but didn't get in to see the doc.

Monday is a holiday on for us--Family day.  Planning on something fun with SO and puppies!  Have a great Sunday everyone.

2020-02-16 7:23 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Agree, my salads don’t have much lettuce, mine is more like a ham and cheese sandwich with a whole bunch of veggies and no bun- I also have a turkey/havarti version too-

2020-02-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: LeatherneckTN

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
POL post here! I hope everyone in the pod is doing well.

Tough last week as 4 of the 5 of us in my family have had the flu. My activity level has not been the best even under optimal health conditions.
2020-02-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: #5267248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Kirsten, so glad you went to the doc and got some answers. Rather "ironic" that the Iron Ox should be low on iron, isn't it. On the plus side, it's usually easily fixed. Feel better soon girl.
2020-02-16 10:25 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Also been AWOL for a while as I caught another cold from my students. Had just managed to get in maybe a week and a half of semi-normal training, and back to being sick. Ugh!
2020-02-16 6:13 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Lots of sickness in the pod I've been dealing with a nasty cold but seem to be on the tail end of it. This flu season is no joke -- one of my coworkers was out for a week with it and went to the doctor twice, but there wasn't much they could do for her. Hoping that winter loosens her grip a bit and we can all get out in some fresh air.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127