5430 Sports Corp.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 07m 59s
Overall Rank = 589/884
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/57
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30am, out the door by 3:55 to drive up to Boulder. I slept great because I really didn't have too many pre-race jitters. It's just hard to force myself to go to sleep when it's still light outside! Ate my bagel and drank coffee in the car, then drank my Cytomax when I got to the lake. Racked my bike and set up transition, then hung out with Shannon and Ocky. We sat on the hill and watched everyone getting bodymarked and looked at all the sweet bikes.
Event warmup:

My wave was LAST, which was just crappy. They closed transition at 6:20, but our wave didn't go off until 7:00, so Shannon and I just hung out, talked to some other BT'ers, and waited for our wave. I got in the water and swam for about 10 minutes and got a good warmup. Since pretty much everyone was already swimming (or out on the bike!), the warmup area was practically empty.
Swim
  • 36m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an average swim for me. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Shannon started right next to me, and right after the start, we all got boxed in for a while. The person to my left and I kept on hitting each other and I was hoping I wasn't beating the crap out of Shannon. Not sure if it was her, but we talked about it after the race, and we figured if we were battling each other, it ended up a draw :) We started directly into the sun and I couldn't see anything past the first buoy, so I just followed feet. Believe it or not, I actually drafted quite a bit in this swim. I found myself around a group of women who were all swimming the same speed as I was, so I just started drafting off of them at different times. This was the first race when I had a successful drafting experience. I don't think that I went any FASTER, but I used less energy, and in a race distance like this, that's a HUGE bonus. So, I'm happy that I took advantage of the situation. The first leg of the swim went a LOT faster than I thought it would, but the last leg seemed to drag on forever. But I felt good when I came out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Average T1. Nothing special. No major mistakes. T1 was pretty empty at this point, so I wasn't dodging people and it was really easy to find my bike! I did almost tag a girl in my age group with my bike as I pulled it out of the rack and started to run with it. She was coming in from the swim and I didn't see her, so that cost me a couple of seconds when I had to stop short to try not to cause her bodily harm.

Not much. This was just average, but I wasn't aiming to break any records.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great ride for me. I rode at a comfortable pace and I loved every minute of it. I just plain HAD FUN on the bike today. I really focused on drinking plenty of water, taking my endurolytes, and drinking my Perpetuem. I drank at least 5 bottles of water, and polished off my 3-hour bottle of Perpetuem. I saw so many dropped gel flasks and packets during the first 6 miles of the course and I just cringed at the thought of those people who lost their fuel supplies. I would meet someone later on the course who did just that. It wasn't hot on the bike because we had some miraculous clouds for a while, but I could tell I was still sweating because I could see the salt on my skin. I knew better than being fooled by the fact that I felt cool enough, so I drank like crazy. I figured that with all that drinking, I would surely need to pee, but I didn't. Which tells me I could have taken in more fluids.

I thought that the bike course would feel really empty after being in the last wave, but there were PLENTY of people for me to pass, which definitely helped me focus on the pace mentally. I kept my computer on Avg. Speed, so I just watched that most of the time. I really tried to get my average to 20mph, but I couldn't without getting my HR too high.

I saw Cathy at the turnaround starting the second lap. She was looking good. Right after that, I had a woman ask if I had an extra gel because she had dropped hers and she was out of fuel. I always pack more gels than I really need, so I gave her one. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so profusely thankful. I was happy to help. During the last 4 miles, I started to focus my thoughts on the run to come. I was feeling pretty darn good, so I knew I hadn't pushed it too hard, but I was ready to get off the bike, mostly just tired of being in aero for so long.

I averaged 18.6mph on this course last year, so this was a definite and measurable improvement. Woo hoo!! Very happy with this bike.

Not much. This was an almost perfect bike for me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This would have been much faster, but I stopped in a portapotty before heading out on the run. I thought I needed to pee, but it turns out that I really didn't. But I figured I should try because I'd rather go now than need to out on the course.

Not much.
Run
  • 2h 36m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

While it would be easy for me to be utterly embarassed by this run time, due to various injuries this season, the last time I ran this far was April 1st. I've done so little run training that I KNEW this would be a long and painful slog. It was so unbelievably HOTTT out there on the course, and I knew that hydration was going to be key. I even wore my fuel belt for hydrating in between aid stations, and I'm so glad I did.

I started out very easy, and followed my coach's advice of just running one mile at a time. I really didn't think of how many miles I had left. I know I can run a mile, so that's what I did. 13 times! I drank water and gatorade at each of the aid stations. The one thing that saved me from heatstroke was putting ice down my bra. This was one of the few times in my life when I thought that being a woman was an advantage because guys don't wear bras!!! I was running next to this woman and we were joking about the ice in our bras, and I said "whenever I start thinking that I'm really hot, I just focus on my boobs because they're cold." And my bra acted as a nice ice chest because I'd just reach down in there and eat some of the ice too. Hey, you do what you gotta do when it's that hot.

Honestly, I thought I'd feel a lot worse than I did on this run. I had a smile on my face until mile 7, so that's a victory in itself. I definitely walked some, especially the hills. But I really think the hydration and calories I took in on the bike got me through this run. And all day I was popping endurolytes like candy.

When I started the second lap of the run, I started thinking about how long it would take me to finish. With 3 miles to go, based on my watch, I had the chance to beat last year's time. Somehow and from somewhere deep inside, I found the guts to pick up the pace the last 3 miles and didn't walk at all. Just the thought of being able to beat my time from last year was so motivating. According to my watch, I did it, but alas, my watch was wrong. Somewhere along the way, my watch must have stopped because I obviously lost some minutes somewhere. Oh well. I can't be too upset because I learned a lot about myself and what I can manage at the end of a race like that. I'm slowly learning that my body is capable of a lot more than my brain thinks it is.

Not much. This run, albeit painfully slow, was pretty much a miracle for me based on how little run training I've been able to do. I knew it would be slow, but I felt better at the finish than I did last year despite being better trained last year. I'll just chalk that up to increased overall fitness, race experience, and nutrition/hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

Because I thought I had beat last year's time, I was so estatic that I started crying (plus, I was in a lot of pain :) ). After looking at the official results a little later, those tears were for nothing, but whatever. A little bit of a letdown, but not as much as you'd think. Just FINISHING was a victory! Ocky was there at the finish and poured water over me and took me over to his chair and let me sit. I took off my shoes and went to get some food and waited for Shannon to finish. Talked to some other BT'ers, then packed up and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Plain and simple. I've been injured and haven't been able to run this season.

Event comments:

5430 Sports had a potential disaster on their hands with today's heat. They did an EXCELLENT job on the run aid stations. Without the ice, sponges, cold water, etc. there would have been a lot more DNFs and people in the med tent. I did think it was funny that they gave out beer glasses at the finish line. Hmmm. Mix glass with exhausted, sweaty, wet athletes and you end up with a lot of dropped, broken glasses. Not smart. But overall, a good race.

Last updated: 2007-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/57
Overall: 353/884
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Counterclockwise inverted U, with the first leg directly into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:40
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:17 | 56 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/57
Overall: 509/884
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 683/884
Course: 2 laps, totally exposed dirt road/trail course. No shade at all. 2 significant hills on each lap.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: 5430 Long Course Triathlon

2007-08-13 8:27 AM
in reply to: #923296

User image

Expert
Carmel
Subject: RE: 5430 Long Course Triathlon
Congrats on the race. 5430 is a race that I have wanted to do for a long time but havnt gotten out to CO. Great Race report.
2007-08-13 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race, and a very solid time in the heat.  I would consider this a better race than last year because the heat on the run made the course 20% harder.  Plus, you sound like you had fun at this race, which is a victory in itself.  Nice work and congratulations on a very good day.
2007-08-13 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

You had one hell of a race, Stacie.  Congrats on getting through the run and pushing yourself beyond your normal comfort zone.  That will do wonders for your confidence when you can get those shins back to normal.  Yeah, those clouds were just wonderful on the bike. 

So, you gave away gels on the bike.  Did anyone ask and get ice from you on the run??

Congrats on a great race.

2007-08-13 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Why did I think this was your FIRST HIM?

Congratulations! Nice work. I should have been as level headed as you were in regard to my nutrition plan... I just went all willy nilly this year.

What's the difference between Perp. & Sustained Energy? I used S.E for the first time yesterday... Tasted like cat azz. But seemed to do the trick. I felt great for the entire ride.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!  

2007-08-13 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

Excellent job Stacie! It's the little improvements you catch each race that makes it all worth while. Getting to draft successfully must be a good feeling. Kicking on the bike was also a great accomplishment. We all know the run wasn't going to be a personal best but you clawed your way thru it and even picked it up the last few miles... that just shows me what kind of person you are. Truly inspiring is all I can say about you and this race. You're amazing kid!

F.Y.I - love the disertation on the ice bra

2007-08-13 9:47 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Way to go girl!  Great report.  I thought for sure you would have a comment about me slapping your butt!  You looked so surprized!  Hope I didn't ruin your mojo.  You did awesome.  Congrats!
2007-08-13 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Mark's playing grabass in triathlons? What? Great job of making it through it, and probably more importantly, what you said about learning a little bit more about yourself in this race than in others. Once again your plan was well thought out and you stuck to it probably as exact as anyone else out there. No surprise that it paid off for you.
2007-08-13 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Funny stuff in this RR...."I just focus on my boobs..."  LOL!  Classic.  I told Shannon it was like having a 3rd boob because I put a little too much ice in my bra and it was sticking out funny. 

You did great!  Heck of a bike split, that is FOR SURE!  The run on this race always sucks.  I keep thinking that someday, it will be good.    congrats Stacie!

2007-08-13 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Denver
I know it wasn't your dream race but considering all the run setbacks you've had this year that is a great result. You should be really proud of yourself for gutting it out. And it sounds like you had a good time doing it to boot. Congrats Ice Boobs!
2007-08-13 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
GREAT RACE, STACIE!!  Seriously, absolutely awesome.  Even with the run set-backs, you put out a great effort.  Although your overall time was a bit slower, do you realize you moved up 11 slots in the AG from last year?  That should tell you what a more challenging race it was this year, thanks to the heat, and how much you have improved relative to your competition. 

2007-08-13 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

You did fantastic.  Even injured you beat my HIM by 5 minutes.  I wish I had been there!!!

Way to Rock it!!!!

K

2007-08-13 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
It's great to hear you had such a good time!!!!  With your run training limited due to injury, that was an excellent run and great overall performance.  This has got to be a huge confidence builder for next year's IM.
2007-08-13 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Good job out there.  It was fun to read this report.  I'm glad you had a good race.  I'm starting to believe that if people could just relax and enjoy their races they would start to see more improvement.

Way to go.

2007-08-13 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Stacie,

Great race. Kicked butt on the swim and the bike and for all your injuries you did OK on the run to. What a wonderful race you had. So proud of you. Drafting on the swim - I'll have to try that. I'm such a touch phobe that I often end up swimming in the corner alone even with 200 people in my wave. But it sounds like you use less energy when you're drafting which I'm all for! good job girlie.

2007-08-13 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

A 6hr HIM isn't shabby when you consider your running issues!!!!  

With 3 miles to go, based on my watch, I had the chance to beat last year's time. Somehow and from somewhere deep inside, I found the guts to pick up the pace the last 3 miles and didn't walk at all.

You may not have beat last year's time but you did knuckle down and NOT crack during the last three miles - that says a lot about your character.

Glad you could enjoy the race.

2007-08-13 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

You said "ICE CHEST"... A wonderful wonderful pun... especially considering all the ice you stuffed down your bra!  Kiss

2007-08-13 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
I keep hearing about all this ice down the bra and it makes me wonder...  Perhaps the Man-zier is in order for next year.  There really is some great humor in these race reports.  Great job working through that run!
2007-08-13 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
As I said in your inspire, I am so proud of you. You had a great race on a tough day in a tough season. You looked great on the run. So much better than I would have thought based on our discussion last week during our run at the pond. You are a tough cookie!
2007-08-13 10:31 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
great race and way to overcome a challenging season!  its an awesome feeling to be able to enjoy so much of a HIM!  I felt it too!
2007-08-20 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

I'm finally reading your race report! Yay!  (I know....a week late....I suck.)

Anyway sounds like you had a great race!  The bike sounds awesome and fun, and your run was especially awesome considering everything you've had going on.  Maybe there's hope for me and my crappy running after all.  Yay!  And I will definitely have to try the whole ice in the bra thing.   Your last 3 miles of the run were especially awesome and inspiring!  Way to go!    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed