General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 157/173
Pre-race routine:

After getting in maybe 3.5 hours of sleep, I got up at 3:45am and began to get ready to make the hour long trip down to Racine. Breakfast consisted of OJ and oatmeal, with a banana thrown in for good measure. Got to Racine, parked with problems nearby, prepped my transition area and thanked God profusely for a beautiful day with low winds so I'd be facing a kinder, gentler Lake Michigan.
Swim
  • 44m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

My time here is surprisingly long, considering I thought I really nailed it. In fact, I don't think it even jibes with my watch, but whatever. It was a bit longer than reality because I chose to get out of my wetsuit in the shallows instead of running the 200m or so across the beach in it. That added to my swim time, but chopped it from my transition as the results show. Really, I was quite happy with my swim, especially because it was my first time swimming in the unprotected waters of Lake Michigan (I've done Chi Tri twice, bu that's inside the breakwater.) Even with the churning water, I though I maintained my form and sighted well.
What would you do differently?:

Really, nothing. I was happy with this swim getting out of the water and I'm happy with it now.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Considering the brutal run across the beach, I was pretty quick getting to my spot and changed for the bike. I also ran with my bike by pushing it by the seat for the first time which worked out well. Again, I saved time by getting out of my wetsuit in the shallows of the swim portion.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Hmm, where to begin? I guess with a title. i would like to call this ride "Prelude to a ClusterF@!*%"
Yes, I think that's appropriate, because as good as this ride was for me, it also set up my ultimate undoing.

First, allow me an indulgence. I know I've whined in my race reports before about this, but I'm going to do it again. Hey, it's my report. So, here goes. I really, really need a tri bike. That was never more evident than in this race. In scanning th racks prior to this race, I have never, NEVER (not in Chicago, not in Memphis) scene such a collection of pimped out, souped up tri cycles as in this transition. I'm not exaggerating when I say I saw two, TWO other bikes the whole day that didn't have aerobars and weren't set up for aero position. I think on shorter Oly's and Sprints, the downside of not having aerobars is limited. but on a long, flat course like this I think it made a HUGE difference. I'm not necessarily saying I would be much faster on a tri-bike, but I think that I would be able to conserve a ton of energy and set myslef up for a better run with one. OK, we now resume our regularly scheduled race report. In two weeks, I'll have my new Guru, and no one will ever have to hear me whine about this again.

So, this bike is both a classic example of the failure to learn from my past mistakes and proof of the saying to "plan your race, race your plan." I didn't and I paid for it. My plan was to remain in z2 through the first 2.5 hours of the bike, then kick it into z3 for the final .5 hour. That would have set me up for a solid run. And I would subsequently be writing a much different report.

Instead... I start out relatively easy, but never quite get my HR down into z2 from the swim. Then I start passing people. It feels so familiar to me. It's just like every other race I've done before. After all. that's what I do in my Sprints and Olys. I pass people on the bike. Lots of them. And, hey, I'm going easy here anyways, right? Yes! Yes, I am. (Now, if I'm honest, I'm also getting passed on this course by some very good cyclists on very fancy tri-bikes a lot more than usual, which isn't exactly helping things.) The thing is, I NEVER get my HR into z2. After all, I FEEL like I'm going easy-- and compared to previous races, I am-- and I know I'm speeding along on this nice flat course.

Next thing you know, I see the 40-mile marker. I quickly calculate I'm averaging almost 20mph, which is great for me over that distance. I also quickly calculate, I am screwed. Not that my legs feel bad, but I can just tell I have been too long in z3 to have much left for the run. I also kind of know I'm beyond the point of recovery, so I keep pumping. I figure, if nothing else I'll get a good bike split out of this race and whatever the run brings, well, I'll deal with that on the run...

Not ride the entire ride in z3 when my plan calls for z2. Not get caught up in trying to race other racers when I should have just stuck with my plan. Generally, not race an HIM like an Oly.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Took a few extra seconds debating if I really wanted to fasten that 3-pound Fuel Belt on me. I did. Really, it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 32m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Gather 'round friends to hear my tale of wo
and learn of my death march, hot and slow

It made a six-twelve of a sure five-forty-five
and left me crumpled at the finish, barely alive.

Well, how to summarize the run? It sucked at the beginning, sucked at the end, and inbetween it really, really sucked. It wasn't a run. It wasn't a walk. It was kind of a RALK. Basically, a stammering shuffle puncutuated by a series of short run bursts brought on by sheer disgust with myself. Yes, it was a RALK. I RALK-ed the run.

Even during my long stretches of walking I couldn't really get my HR below 148. It's true what they say, "Once you let your HR out of the bag, there's no getting it back."

On top of burning myself out on the bike, I think I also have to re-examine my nutrition approach for longer races as my mix of gels and Infinit just left me bloated and burping. The only redeeming thing about this run was that I managed to not exceed my total bike time. Just not by much.

The scary thing is, as pathetic as my run time was, it took every ounce of willpower to finish as I did. I'll at least give myself credit for leaving it all out on the course.

I believe I've covered this already.
Post race
Warm down:

I went for a little 10k cool down run. Yeah, right.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being an idiot on the bike and not sticking to my plan.

Event comments:

They say your the goal of your first race at the next longer distance should be just to finish. If that's the case, then mission accomplished.

However, I could have probably given back 7 or 8 minutes on the bike and finished 25 minutes faster overall, if I had just raced ny plan. That's a bitter pill to swallow and one that will stick in my craw until I race this distance again.

On the other hand, I will chalk this up as a very important lesson learned. And at the end of the day, I am very proud of myself for completing an HIM, something I wouldn't have dreamed of being able to do a couple years ago.

Oh, and just as a side note, if I had raced my ideal race and finished at my original goal time of 5:45, I would have finished only about 20 places higher in my age group. That's how competitive this field-- and my age group-- was for this race!

Last updated: 2007-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:03 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/173
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion wetsuit
Course: Point to point swim parallel to shore, allowing swimmers to keep buoys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:51:25 | 56 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: For a 56-mile course in Wisconsin, this course was about as flat as they come. Mostly country roads on good pavement with a few rises and dips.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:32:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: A flat double loop out to the Lighthouse and back along the beach to transition.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2007-07-22 9:18 PM
in reply to: #896215

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon
Way to hang in there.  Hope you enjoy your new bike when it arrives.  Good job!
2007-07-22 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

Your perseverance is impressive. Lots of lessons learned in your first HIM.

Who did you go to for your Guru order? Transition in Pewaukee? When you have a minute, I'd appreciate a PM with the details.

Nels "Not the plumber" Anderson

2007-07-22 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great Job and lots of good lessons learned. It really is a different beast than the shorter distances. That bike split is seriously awesome! It may have cost you some time in the run, but that is very impressive on a non-tri bike. Way to push through on the run and leave nothing out there.
2007-07-23 7:06 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

hey great report!!

congratulations!!  You did a fine job!!

2007-07-23 7:17 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Great job finishing!  I was the volunteer yelling at you to mount or dismount...it was awesome to be able to watch everyone.

2007-07-23 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the report and lesson learning... I've got my first in 2 weeks (Steelhead) and will try to learn but your example! Great race and awesome effort!
2007-07-23 10:26 AM

User image

Great Job on your first HIM! I loved reading your humor and raw honesty in you RR. I was one of the two non-tri bikes...
2007-07-23 10:41 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice work and way to finish!!  I’ve had the feeling on the RALK (okay mine was more of a walk/waddle) and it’s not easy to keep going.

I’m sensing a common theme among BT’ers in overcooking your grits on the bike.  I sure hope those Steelhead people don’t read these reports.

2007-07-23 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Rich-

I really enjoyed reading your race report...it was extremely insightful, and funny at parts.

I'm sorry your RALK was so misserable, but like you said, next time, you know, so this was a learning experience. Afterall, this was your first HIM, and that is a HUGE accomplishment!!

I was out there cheering you guys on yesterday and am very proud of all of the BT 1/2'ers!! I was at the bottom of the hill in between miles 15 and 16 (I think), where you guys took a right turn onto Highway 20, in my red race shirt.

You'll get 'em next time!

Edited by miami9296 2007-07-23 11:20 AM
2007-07-23 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

To hell with your self indulgence, great job!  You conquered the half.  You will do it again and do it faster!  Congrats on the race!

P.S.  You write beautiful tri poems.

2007-07-23 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Congrats on the finish!  It all sounded eerily familiar (to my HIM report last year...)
2007-07-23 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

It was good to meet you yesterday! You look nothing like your avatar. Surprised

Your fur is a little darker.

Heh.

It was a rough day out there for everyone. I overcooked my legs on the bike too. Doing my Tom Boonen impersonation... Or whateverthehell it was. Left me with nothing to run with. I walked waaaaaaaaaaaay too much of the run.

You did great. I only wish you could have made it to the dinner. Frown NEXT YEAR!!!! 

Congratulations!  

2007-07-23 3:48 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
LIve and learn right? Hey, great time in spite on the demons! Maybe if you are extra special good from now til Christmas, Santa will bring you one of those pimped out rides
2007-07-24 11:08 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Considering how I did, I think you did a great job, Scoobysdad!
Doing any Tri is a HUGE accomplishment, and your times are great!
Keep thinking positive, because it's amazing what that just does - it really helps!
2007-07-24 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

NIce to meet you in transition.

You know if this triathlon thing doesn't work out for you, you definitely have a way with words.  Very comical.  I laughed a bunch of times. 

Great race and way to finish.  It was very difficult to stay patient on the bike on that course with that many people.

And FWIW, the guru is going to make you much more comfortable, and much aero, which will also give you the extra speed w/ less effort.  You will love it.

I agree with you on all the nice bikes.  Wow.  I heard the whooshing sound of the rear disc wheel more times than I wanted as they passed me by...

2007-07-24 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Yup, I'm sensing the common theme here.... to much on the bike, not enough left for the run.  Seriously, how did we all make the same mistake??? 

Despite that - great race!

2007-07-24 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
It truly is amazing how we ALL suffered through that run!  I was right there with ya' and at the time it wasn't much fun.  Great job gutting it out!  And next time you'll know (AND have a new bike!)...you'll crush this PR!
2007-07-24 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Congrats on a great race, and I say that cuz you conquered the distance AND seems you learned a lot in the process.  That is way more important than hitting your goal the first time out.  Now you know what adjustments to make to smack that goal time you had this year up next year.  EEEEAAAWWW!!!
2007-07-24 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Seems the bike was everyone's undoing. I learned a truckload of my own lessons out there. I just wish the bike had been my undoing because I was going as fast as you. Awesome job sticking with that run after tearing it up on the bike.

I can't wait to read you next HIM race report and see how you execute and conquer all the lessons you learned at this one!
2007-07-25 1:46 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Way to hang in!  FWIW, LOTS of us (ahem...myself very much included...) made the same mistake of hammering out on the bike.  And the sad part is, this is my FOURTH HIM and I should know better!!!!!!!!!!!!   (No tri-bike for me either BTW..not 'til next year). 

But we'll all kick it next year right

2007-07-26 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Nice race Rich.  The bike is the area where most people blow it.  I have done it, just not on a HIM.  That might come some other day.... a LONG way into the future.

And just so you know, I am not a machine.  A machine WOULD have tracked McFuzz down and ground him into the dust.  I didn't push quite hard enough, so I didn't catch him at all. 

2007-07-27 2:33 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

scoobysdad - 2007-07-24 10:51 AM  Blowing up on the bike seems to be the common thread for the day-- I think somebody should write a song about it, "Blowing Up The Bike". It would be a rock song, maybe along the lines of White Zombie. Then the follow-up would be a dirge-like "Long, Long Way To Home" to capture the run experience. I'm thinking Morrissey could sing it to capture the feeling of utter desperate futility.

I think you are very definetly on to something.  I'm not fond of White Zombie tho - too growly sounding.  I'm thinking old thrash for the bike...maybe some Anthrax?  "Got the time?" ( got the time tick tick tickin' in my head...)   Something with a fast beat. THEN...for the run...maybe be a little more current and go with some Audioslave. They do the dirge sound really well....

2007-07-27 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Great race despite the run issues, and very entertaining race report!

I hear you on the "pass people because that's what you usually do" thing out there. I am used to being FOMOP at all the races in Kasas (at least for women), and am used to passing my fair share of people, but it just didn't happen at Racine. If I would have tried, I'm sure I would have been dying later. I think the field was just insanely competitive.

Next year, you will smoke 'em on your tri bike (as well as be one Arthur Bryant's BBQ sauce bottle richer).
2007-08-22 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race and great funny report. Thanks for the advice on my upcoming HIM, I know my time will be slow, but it will be a PR. (it is my first) I hopefully will rememeber to stick to my race plan.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 1