BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-06 3:42 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by glfprncs I have been wearing the same model running shoe (New Balance 1080) through 4 versions (V5, 6, 7 & 8). They have a nice wide toe box, ample cushion, and a drop my body likes. I can take them out of the box, put my Super feet orthotic in and run 10+ miles with zero issues. The dilemma? The 9th version came out this month and they totally changed the heel. It eats socks and causes blisters. I'm SO sad. I have a new pair of the V8, so I'm good until May. However, I'm doing IM-LOU in Oct. Do I: A. Buy 2 more pair of the V8 now to get me through October B. Start searching now for a replacement that I love and hope I find one by late spring? My problem with option A is that I attended a running seminar years ago and was informed that the foam starts to break down as soon as the shoes come off the assembly line. Thus, the shoes I keep in a box for a year may start with minimal life. Not sure how true that is, but it's always stuck with me.

I vote for Option A. I have had good luck buying shoes in multiples with no breakdown of the foam that I can detect. And I have princess feet.  PS> I buy multiple shoes at one time for just that reason. I find the perfect shoe, and BOOM, the discontinue or modify it.

2019-01-06 5:17 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same here. When I lived in Vietnam, I was always stockpiling shoes when I could find them (since I couldn't find anything usable there, sometimes not even in Singapore or Bangkok). Even in tropical conditions, I didn't notice that the shoes broke down quickly when stored without use for up to six months. (I did use a dehumidifier in the closet where I stored the shoes.) I have struggled with this all my running life--long, narrow, pretty flat feet, bone spurs on one heel that make me tend to wear out uppers quickly. It's hard to find my size (10 or 10 1/2 depending on model) in a women's shoe, but my feet are too narrow for most men's shoes.

I have a horrible time finding shoes that are comfortable and the orthotics I use now have made it even harder (shoes that are more "shallow" don't work as I will ride out of them). Several of the Saucony models I really loved since my teenaged years have been discontinued in the past decade, or the fit or quality changed after they switched production to China.

Basically I am screwed if/when the Kinvara 9 is discontinued! I can wear other Saucony shoes and some Hoka (sadly, not the last 2 editions of the Clifton) but only the Kinvaras feel right--as in I don't notice or think about my shoes when I'm running.
2019-01-06 5:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Growing up in Ohio, we would be sent out in anything but blizzard conditions and spent most of the time running around screaming, lobbing snowballs, building snowmen, and rolling in the stuff.

Karen,

I grew up in Ohio, too!! Where are you from?? I grew up in a tiny village of 1000 near Lancaster, about an hour southeast of Columbus.

When we went to school in the winter, we took winter boots, snow pants & jacket, mittens and a hat, as well as a saucer sled (or a trash bag would work in a pinch) and would go sled riding during recess in elementary school. Sadly, the middle school was built on a flat parcel of land, so no sled riding.
2019-01-06 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey y'all. Just got finished with Piggy's, it was a wet fest. We bailed on a couple of pieces, it was just too much mud. 32.5 miles worth of a 40 miler. I'm good with that. Here's how wet it was, at one of the water crossings, I was nearly up to the top bar on my 29'r. The guy on the fat tire bike behind us went down and actually was under water for a moment. Fully submerged.

The real reason for my post is to clear up the Jogo Challenge a bit. I think we'll roll it out after we close up the group. I do have a link to the preliminary Google Spreadsheet for the challenge in my logs. If you have any feedback on it, hit me up and we'll adjust whatever we can. 

2019-01-06 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nancy, I grew up in Oxford. It's a small college town (about 10-12,000 people when I was a kid, not counting Miami University students) north of Cincinnati and south of Dayton, only a few miles from the Indiana border. (I used to think it was funny that I could run to Indiana and back--only 6-10 miles depending on the route.) No hills at school, but I spent a lot of snow days with a flying saucer or toboggan.

Probably not that far from Lancaster as the crow flies. I've heard of it but not real sure where it is. We mostly competed in track/XC/ swimming with Dayton and Cincinnati area schools and my family didn't travel much in Ohio besides that (most of our relatives were in Illinois, Michigan, and the DC area.)

Oxford was actually a really nice town to grow up in. Running was very big for some reason. We had a beautiful university cross country course to train on, an excellent HS distance coach, several road races that drew people from all over the area, and lots of good masters runners. But I really don't miss the weather!
2019-01-06 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great trail run yesterday (the run not my performance). My first attempt at the long distance that they do (14km) and I didn't finish last which I am happy with. It felt like I spent forever going up hill, just when I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore uphill I would turn a corner and find more. However all of the up made for some EPIC (yes Chris EPIC) downhills.

Great day with some of the Turtles.

(C6281390-CEB1-4410-BE8C-936107A58CE8.png)

Attachments
----------------
C6281390-CEB1-4410-BE8C-936107A58CE8.png (64KB - 4 downloads)

2019-01-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I believe that I have the roster up-to-date with our current members. If you see any errors or omissions, please let me know. I heard back from Mary Stone in Colorado and she is not going to "officially" join this year because of the limitation in her screen time. She asks that we please keep her in the loop regarding RAGNAR. I have not heard back from either Laura B or Justin. Of course, we may pick up a few additional new members.

Active Manatees

Once a Manatee, always a Manatee

2019 thread #1 
Adam (awm007)Laura Y (Atlantia)
Anne (abake)Lisa (lisac957)
Ann-Marie (amd723)Mary G (marysia83)
Chris (cdban66)Melanie (melbo55)
David (tdl1972)Nancy (glfprncs)
Janyne (jmkizer)Randee (MtnBikerChk)
Jen Snyder (juniperjen)Robin K (fortissimo)
Jen Stewey (jenstewey)Robin P (ceilidh)
Jim (JBacarella)Stacey (StaceyK)
Karen (Hot Runner)TJ (rrrunner)
Kirsten (IronOx) 

I'll also be updating our Strava group to reflect our current active members. New David is already in our group. I'll post a reminder so that everyone can easily follow him.

2019-01-07 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Great trail run yesterday (the run not my performance). My first attempt at the long distance that they do (14km) and I didn't finish last which I am happy with. It felt like I spent forever going up hill, just when I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore uphill I would turn a corner and find more. However all of the up made for some EPIC (yes Chris EPIC) downhills. Great day with some of the Turtles.

Amazing hill!

2019-01-07 7:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

I believe that I have the roster up-to-date with our current members. If you see any errors or omissions, please let me know. I heard back from Mary Stone in Colorado and she is not going to "officially" join this year because of the limitation in her screen time. She asks that we please keep her in the loop regarding RAGNAR. I have not heard back from either Laura B or Justin. Of course, we may pick up a few additional new members.

Active Manatees

2019 thread #1 
Kirsten (IronOx) 

I'll also be updating our Strava group to reflect our current active members. New David is already in our group. I'll post a reminder so that everyone can easily follow him.

Lisa!! David has some Silver Comet Trail something in his Strava!

2019-01-07 8:38 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey y'all. Just got finished with Piggy's, it was a wet fest. We bailed on a couple of pieces, it was just too much mud. 32.5 miles worth of a 40 miler. I'm good with that. Here's how wet it was, at one of the water crossings, I was nearly up to the top bar on my 29'r. The guy on the fat tire bike behind us went down and actually was under water for a moment. Fully submerged.

The real reason for my post is to clear up the Jogo Challenge a bit. I think we'll roll it out after we close up the group. I do have a link to the preliminary Google Spreadsheet for the challenge in my logs. If you have any feedback on it, hit me up and we'll adjust whatever we can. 

Wow, that's a lot of water!  If the water was that high on your size bike, I would have drowned for sure! Can't believe the area was still so wet. Or maybe you got more rain then we've had lately. Or maybe I've just blocked out the amount of rain we've had   Great job!

2019-01-07 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Great trail run yesterday (the run not my performance). My first attempt at the long distance that they do (14km) and I didn't finish last which I am happy with. It felt like I spent forever going up hill, just when I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore uphill I would turn a corner and find more. However all of the up made for some EPIC (yes Chris EPIC) downhills. Great day with some of the Turtles.

That's some hill! Glad you and the turtles had such a great day!

2019-01-07 9:06 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Wow, that's a lot of water!  If the water was that high on your size bike, I would have drowned for sure! Can't believe the area was still so wet. Or maybe you got more rain then we've had lately. Or maybe I've just blocked out the amount of rain we've had   Great job!

We got popped with about 5 inches last week and the way the water table works is that a bunch of stuff funnels south through the preserve. The pic on FB is from that crossing, which is at the north end of the preserve. Most people walked through and portaged their bikes. I'll be rebuilding a bottom bracket soon, I'm sure. Oh yeah, there is a 9 foot gator that is generally sitting there. Lucky for me, I'm slow, so he was either scared or full by the time I got there. 

2019-01-07 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Cool, looks like a Strava Club of folks who frequent the trail. I'll definitely be back on the trail in a few months, but likely won't ride all the way to Alabama again for a long, long time

Edited by lisac957 2019-01-07 9:09 AM
2019-01-07 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

YIKES! That's quite a water crossing!

I think that we should start the JoGo challenge next Monday if folks are good with that. I know that Stacey has some special requirements on when it is acceptable to start a challenge:

Regarding closing the group, I don't have any thoughts on the timing. I just wanted to update the roster and the Strava group while I had time. Stuff may hit the fan at work soon...

2019-01-07 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Amazing hill!

Whoa, that looks like a lot of time going uphill! Great job on getting it done! 

2019-01-07 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think that we should start the JoGo challenge next Monday if folks are good with that. I know that Stacey has some special requirements on when it is acceptable to start a challenge:

Regarding closing the group, I don't have any thoughts on the timing. I just wanted to update the roster and the Strava group while I had time. Stuff may hit the fan at work soon...

Currently we are set to begin on 1/14/2019. If anyone wants to take a look at it, we have 4 separate challenges, one weight based, one eating based, one based on moving and a fourth based on distance traveled. So anyone can do one or more of the challenges if they so desire. We may be able to come up with a prize for winning each challenge. I may be able to get my hands on a 2019 Piggy's Revenge tech shirt or some other cool swag like beer bottle openers or coozies or some such awesomeness. So feel free to start planning your next 6 or 7 weeks of training!

JoGo Manatee Challenge

2019-01-07 9:28 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by juniperjen

Amazing hill!

Whoa, that looks like a lot of time going uphill! Great job on getting it done! 

Yes indeed, I second or third this! Great job on the work and congrats on some quality time with Team Turtle.

2019-01-07 10:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Chris - nice work at Piggy's Revenge, those water crossings sound EPIC!   And seriously deep if they were threatening to swallow your bike.  Congrats on not getting stuck in the mud forever and ever and avoiding the ginormous gator, yikes!

Stacey - those were indeed some EPIC downhills, my knees were whining just looking at the elevation graph!  Congratulations to you and Team Turtle!

Jim - what a cool gift your daughter gave you!  I really would be curious to see if daughter #2's pre-strength training usage recommendation has any impact.

I had a hockey-filled weekend: a win Saturday (we really needed that, OK, I really needed that mentally) and a loss Sunday that is still eating at me.  We blew a 4-1 lead to lose 6-4.  Granted my own team accidentally put 2 of them in on me but that's beside the point.  But hey, we stopped at PF Chang's on the way home and had some good food and laughs so that made it better.  Our poor waitress...I thought of you guys when I said to my friends, "Bless her little heart" with the full Southern meaning behind it.  Ahh, she tried so hard, maybe too hard, but I wonder if waiting tables is the wrong career choice for her.

2019-01-07 10:26 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Daughter #3 gave me one of those electric massage units, similar to a tens unit where it sends an electric impulse into the muscle. I am hooked! It's one of those it hurts so good feelings and when it's finished the muscle is loose and relaxed. It feels pretty amazing. I came close to buying one at IMLou for way too much money. I'm glad I waited. Daughter #3's love language is gifts.She appreciates the smallest token gift and is the best gift giver I know. Daughter #2 wants me to try it before strength training. She is a senior in a kinesiolgy/pre-med program and insists that the contractions from the unit will exhaust the muscle and cause it to tear easier under stress making the workout move effective. She knows stuff, I just haven't been able to bring myself to try it and God forbid do something different.

Nice gift!  I'll be interested to see if it makes for a more effective strength workout -if you ever follow your daughter's advice that is! 

2019-01-07 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by glfprncs I have been wearing the same model running shoe (New Balance 1080) through 4 versions (V5, 6, 7 & 8). They have a nice wide toe box, ample cushion, and a drop my body likes. I can take them out of the box, put my Super feet orthotic in and run 10+ miles with zero issues. The dilemma? The 9th version came out this month and they totally changed the heel. It eats socks and causes blisters. I'm SO sad. I have a new pair of the V8, so I'm good until May. However, I'm doing IM-LOU in Oct. Do I: A. Buy 2 more pair of the V8 now to get me through October B. Start searching now for a replacement that I love and hope I find one by late spring? My problem with option A is that I attended a running seminar years ago and was informed that the foam starts to break down as soon as the shoes come off the assembly line. Thus, the shoes I keep in a box for a year may start with minimal life. Not sure how true that is, but it's always stuck with me.

Buy however many you need and can afford. And, as the next few months go along, test a few others here and there where you can. This will get you through the year(ish) and will help you be prepared for when you run out

2019-01-07 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Amazing hill!

i believe that would be an EPIC hill!

2019-01-07 11:50 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Chris - nice work at Piggy's Revenge, those water crossings sound EPIC!   And seriously deep if they were threatening to swallow your bike.  Congrats on not getting stuck in the mud forever and ever and avoiding the ginormous gator, yikes!

Stacey - those were indeed some EPIC downhills, my knees were whining just looking at the elevation graph!  Congratulations to you and Team Turtle!

Jim - what a cool gift your daughter gave you!  I really would be curious to see if daughter #2's pre-strength training usage recommendation has any impact.

I had a hockey-filled weekend: a win Saturday (we really needed that, OK, I really needed that mentally) and a loss Sunday that is still eating at me.  We blew a 4-1 lead to lose 6-4.  Granted my own team accidentally put 2 of them in on me but that's beside the point.  But hey, we stopped at PF Chang's on the way home and had some good food and laughs so that made it better.  Our poor waitress...I thought of you guys when I said to my friends, "Bless her little heart" with the full Southern meaning behind it.  Ahh, she tried so hard, maybe too hard, but I wonder if waiting tables is the wrong career choice for her.

Glad you had a win! Focus on that. Poor waitress, I feel her pain. It was definitely not the career choice for me, either

2019-01-07 1:53 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Same here. When I lived in Vietnam, I was always stockpiling shoes when I could find them (since I couldn't find anything usable there, sometimes not even in Singapore or Bangkok). Even in tropical conditions, I didn't notice that the shoes broke down quickly when stored without use for up to six months. (I did use a dehumidifier in the closet where I stored the shoes.) I have struggled with this all my running life--long, narrow, pretty flat feet, bone spurs on one heel that make me tend to wear out uppers quickly. It's hard to find my size (10 or 10 1/2 depending on model) in a women's shoe, but my feet are too narrow for most men's shoes.

I have a horrible time finding shoes that are comfortable and the orthotics I use now have made it even harder (shoes that are more "shallow" don't work as I will ride out of them). Several of the Saucony models I really loved since my teenaged years have been discontinued in the past decade, or the fit or quality changed after they switched production to China.

Basically I am screwed if/when the Kinvara 9 is discontinued! I can wear other Saucony shoes and some Hoka (sadly, not the last 2 editions of the Clifton) but only the Kinvaras feel right--as in I don't notice or think about my shoes when I'm running.

I'm still searching for the perfect shoe, so I tend to play around a bit (particularly when last season's shoes go on clearance). I've probably tried 6-7 different brands/models in recent years but the Hoka Clifton 4 is the only shoe I've truly hated. I tried desperately to break them in and probably put nearly 100 miles on them but I found myself getting injured nearly every time I ran more than 5 miles in them. I never got used to the high pivot point in the mid-sole - it really threw my gait off and caused both hip and knee problems. Most people swear by them though.
2019-01-07 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Active Manatees

2019 thread #1 
Kirsten (IronOx) 

I do most of my training on the SCT. I have spent waaaay too much time on that thing.
2019-01-07 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Currently we are set to begin on 1/14/2019. If anyone wants to take a look at it, we have 4 separate challenges, one weight based, one eating based, one based on moving and a fourth based on distance traveled. So anyone can do one or more of the challenges if they so desire. We may be able to come up with a prize for winning each challenge. I may be able to get my hands on a 2019 Piggy's Revenge tech shirt or some other cool swag like beer bottle openers or coozies or some such awesomeness. So feel free to start planning your next 6 or 7 weeks of training!

JoGo Manatee Challenge

The challenges look good. I especially like my chances in the weight loss category since I'm just getting started on my new "Manatee to 70.3" training program after a three year layoff.

And what's this I hear about another Ragnar? #whoneedssleep?!?

Edited by tdl1972 2019-01-07 4:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107