Cumberland Valley Athletic Club
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 55m 50s
Overall Rank = 599/941
Age Group = Female Under 40
Age Group Rank = 53/86
Pre-race routine:

I met Tony after work at 4pm to drive up to Hagerstown for packet pickup and the pasta/champions dinner. I was hoping the dinner would be worth attending and we were not disappointed. After dinner, the race director spoke about the history of the event. The importance of the military to the race and how honored he was to have all of the military participants in the race. The rest of the evening was spent inducting runners into the various mileage clubs starting with 10 finishes up through 30.

For the final part of the evening, an 82 year old gentleman was the guest speaker. Starting at age 40, he ran 30 JFKs in a row. It is the only race he has every done. He spoke about his first race - a comical story. The night before the 1971 race, he was reading about the race in the local paper. He enjoyed hiking on the C&O Canal so he thought it sounded like a nice hike and decided to enter the race. Just to make sure he could complete the race, he ran up and down his stairs a few times. He cut up some leftover steak from dinner for his nutrition and borrowed his sons canvas duck shoes since he had only dress shoes. The next morning, he went down to the start and paid his $1 entry fee to sign up. When the gun went off, everyone took off running across the school field and he followed. A half mile in he was winded and thought I can't do this so he started walking. After a crazy 15 hr. adventure he finished. His wife helped him to the car and drove him home. Five min. later when they arrived home, he realized he was stuck in the seated position. Eventually he got into the house and soaked in a warm tub only to realize he had been bitten by the race bug. So for the next 29 years he did the JFK 50. The evening wrapped up and I was so glad that I went to the dinner. Off to check into the hotel and get settled for the night.
Event warmup:

Are you kidding me? The race was 50 miles long!!!
Run
  • 10h 55m 50s
  • 50 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

For whatever reason, I slept like a log and didn't stir until the alarm went off at 5am. I got dressed and got my food together. Tony drove me to the high school and I ate breakfast (oatmeal and a bagel w/ pb) along the way. I was so stuffed by the time we got there but I had over an hour before the race start so I knew I would be in good shape at the start. I hit the port-a-potty then went instead to wait for the race briefing.

Apparantly that went a little long b/c I said goodbye to Tony, hit the restroom one more time then started the walk over to the start. About 1/2 mile away, we heard the gun go off. Oops!!! missed the start so my race started a little early. What's a 1/2m when you are doing 50 miles. Actually I'm not sure exactly where the start was b/c I didn't see any mats or banner or anything. At some point I said something to a gentlemen next to me about starting my watch and he said might as well since we are about 3 min / 0.25m into the race. Oh ok - second Oops!!! But again really no reason to panic - the day was just starting.

I did have a rough plan coming into the race and for the most part I did execute and things went as I thought they would. So I had broken the course into 3 sections: the AT trail (15.5m), C&O Canal (26.3m) and the last leg to home (8.2m). AT - stay injury free and save the legs approx. time 3 - 3 1/2 hrs., C&O - run a stready marathon pace approx. 4 1/2 to 5 hrs., and the last leg go with what's left approx. 2-3 hrs. My pie in the sky goal was to finish in the daylight roughly 10 to 10 1/2 hrs. My watch at the end said 10:12 but it was set on auto pause so it didn't get my break times or port-a-potty trips.

The race started on Main St in Boonsboro with lots of spectators cheering as the racers headed out of town towards the mountains. Around mile 1, I started climbing up this very long, steep hill. Lots of people were walking but I decided to chug along at a slow jog not b/c I'm too cool to walk but for me it's less effort. I don't have good walking muscles. Two
miles later we reach the top and turn off onto the AT trail. I was nervous b/c I had not gotten in enough trail running before the race. With the exception of another mile long paved road that was super steep (I walked plenty here), the next 12 miles were some serious trail running. Very stressful mentally. I had my eyes glued to the ground and the heavy leaf coverage did not make things any easier. I smashed my left big toe 3 times really hard and tripped a few times but did not go down. There were sections where you could actually run w/o killing yourself but they seemed few and far between. The trail was not particularly hilly just techincal. It was a shame to miss so much of the beauty of the run but I really kept my eyes glued to the ground. I sipped on my bottle of infinit throughout and ate 1/2 pack of sports beans at the 9.3m aid station. At mile 14.5 I had arrived at the top of the famed switchbacks. I could here the crowd yelling below and was looking forward to the first time I could see Tony. There was a time in the course's history where you had to go straight down the side. That would have been crazy b/c these things were hard enough. Rocky and steep it took the little group I was with about 15 min to get down to the bottom. I popped out of the woods. AT trail done - finished that section in about 3:15 / 3:20. Super happy with that portion. I began looking around for Tony. He flagged me down. I ditched some layers and my water bottle. He took a few pictures then I was off to the aid station on the other side of the road.

This was the first station that I stopped at to get some thing to eat and drink. I wasted time looking around at the food options and then stood there to eat. I really should have gotten something and walked while I ate it. I did not make that mistake again. This was the first stop where I saw pb&j sandwiches. They looked so yummy but I had already grabbed some cookies :-) so I didn't want too much in my tummy nor did I want to waste food. So I figured I would grab one at the next stop.

Now I was officially starting my marathon - 26.3 miles along the C&O Canal. I came off the AT trail in decent shape but the trail running had taken a toll on my legs. I decided to shoot for a 10:30 pace until the halfway point and next spot to see Tony. I picked up a nice pace and was pretty comfortable b/t 10 and 10:30 miles. The next aid station was
approaching and I was craving a pb&j. I got up to the table and looked around. DAMN - no sandwiches. Ok I thought a few pretzels and some water will tide me over for a few miles til the next station. Back to running and dreaming about my delicious sandwich. Next aid station is in sight - get there and DOUBLE DAMN - no pb&j. Internally I sigh and get some
chips. Back to it - although I was very disappointed by my lack of pb&j, I was halfway to the next spectator checkpoint.

The aid station at mile 25 appears and I make the biggest and only mistake of my race. After a quick potty break - good sign I needed to pee - I went to the food table. Still no pb&j and nothing really jumped out at me. I wanted to avoid synthetic food like power bars and gels and I decided the fat in chips might not be good. Chocolate M&Ms - no way but I
really needed some calories. I had gone long enough waiting for my sandwich so I didn't want to pass altogether on food.

So in a weak moment I grabbed 2 PowerBar Energy bites - the things that look like dried turds. I ate one while I walked and threw the other one away. It was gross. No kidding one mile (mile 27) later my intestines started gurgling. I knew where I was headed and it was not a good place.
I managed the pain til I got to the next aid station and saw Tony but it was slowing me down. I told him my tummy was a bit upset. I grabbed a salt tab and some more tylenol and got encouraging hugs and kisses.

Finally at the food table my beautiful PB&Js. Even though my gut was unhappy, I was hungry and knew I needed calories. I grabbed one and ate as I walked. I can honestly say eating that sandwich even when my gut was doing somersaults was a wise decision. I didn't need to compound the problem. However, miles 28-33 were pure hell. It was my only low point and time that I thought I can't finish the race like this. The gas pains almost brought tears to my eyes and made me double over. I made it to the
next aid station and went straight to the port-a-potty. I was in there a long time trying not to barf and pass out at the same time. Passed on food at this stop but drank some water. I felt a little better but I knew it wasn't all of out of my system. The next 3 miles were much of the same hell until mile 33 when I reached a point where I needed a bathroom and
NOW. Then a miracle, a lone port-a-potty appeared by the side of the trail. Bless those organizers! I did have to wait for another poor woman experiencing the same issues. I got in just in time and was in there for another prolonged period.

But when I emerged, I was a new woman. I felt great and got right back to running. A bit of a bummer that I lost so much time walking and sitting but live and learn. I certainly learned a VALUABLE lesson.

So only 5 more miles until I saw Tony again but I had lost more than 1/2 hr. of my planned time. The aid station at mile 34 was one of the winners from best aid station last year. They had an awesome theme this year. Christmas - tons of homemade cookies and pictures with Santa. As much as I wanted some of those cookies I decided not a good idea. I did however grab ANOTHER PB&J sandwich. So yummy!

4 miles later, I saw this NCVC bike kit walking towards me. :-) Tony walked and jogged beside me while I got a few things for the last leg of my journey. I would not see him until the finish. I got a big hug and he gave me lots of updates from my wonderful family and MG friends. I was getting tired but hanging in there. At mile 38 aid station, I got more pb&j and water. Only three more miles on the tow path then part 3 of the run. I'm not sure how fast I did my marathon section since I screwed my watch up from the very beginning and had auto pause going. But I do know that I had 43 minutes of stoppage time and the majority of that was on the C&O.

The canal was beautiful and peaceful to run along. The Potomac River was right next to the canal and the leaves wer still showing bold colors. But after 20 or so miles, I was ready for a change. During the last few miles on the towpath, I did meet up w/ a mom whose kid went to the same preschool as my daughter. I thought she looked familiar standing in one of the bathroom lines but I was too preoccupied to put the pieces together. We chatted as we jogged/walked the last few miles of the towpath.

Finally the brigade of vest issuers appeared at the end of the path. If you weren't off the trail by 3pm, you got a vest for the home stretch. It was at this aid station that I looked down and realized I had lost my chip. Crap it happened somewhere in the 30 something miles. I freaked a bit but figured that this kind of thing happens and nobody was going to
tell me I didn't do the race. At this point I was done with sandwiches and got a handful of pretzels. C&O section done - good run except for the GI issues in the middle. About 5 1/2 hrs. on the towpath.

And now I was back on the roads heading home. I chatted with another mom for a few miles before we split at another aid station. I made one more little mistake and grabbed some chicken noodle soup. Remember dummy - no protein for you but it was warm and it looked good. Well 2 miles later I was ducking behind a stone wall for an emergency pitstop. Oh well lesson definitely learned now.

Now I was less than 5 miles from home. Holy Cow - I'm really going to get it done. After the mile 46 aid station, I decided to keep jogging and walk only when absolutely necessary. I was ready to be done. It was dark by now and people were few and far between. It was the loneliest stretch of the race until the last mile. I passed the 1 mile to go sign and tears welled up in my eyes. I was 1 mile and 10/12 minutes from being done. I checked the time on my watch to make sure I was going to be under 11 hours. I passed through 2 intersections and a really nice cop told me the finish was just up ahead. He was so cheerful and I wanted to hug him. A few people along the road shouted encouragement and congratulations.

Then again in the darkness I saw a blue jacket coming towards me. It was Tony. :-) He ran along side me for a few hundred yards and pointed out where to go. He said he was proud of me then let me run in by myself. I raised my arms at the finish so happy and relieved to be done. I told the lady at the finish right away that I lost my chip and she got things squared away. I got my medal then found Tony.

What would you do differently?:

- More trail running to get the legs ready for the jarring, unstable footing.
- Get in that 7 hr. / 40m run
- remember no protein (doesn't work for me)
Post race
Warm down:

We went inside for some food. Great spread again - Moe's mexican (burritos) and pizza. I got both. Surprising I was able to eat a good bit and have it not upset my tummy. We walked the 1/2m back to the van and drove home after a brief stop at Starbucks. :-) I wore my compression tights home and soaked in a hot bath using some nice scented bath salts that Tony got for me. Aaahhh - that felt so good.

All in all I came through the race in good shape. My arch was ok - the tape really helped. No blisters on my feet and very little chafing. It was a great day. I had wonderful support and the weather could not have been better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience at this distance. It is very hard to predict how your body will react to this type of stress. I feel like I had a good plan and executed to the best of my ability. I had a solid training plan and got in a lot of good miles before the race. I think the next time I try to tackle this type of race, I will be better prepared.

Event comments:

This is a fabulous race with a lot of great history. The race staff and volunteers are fantastic and so passionate. It was truly a wonderful and memorable experience. It was amazing to see the number of local people who participate in this race and only this race. Not to mention the great military tradition that is carried on and how the military runners are celebrated.

However the race is in danger because of a bureaucrat who is in charge of granting AT permits. She refused 500 and those people were shut out. By 2013, she has told the race committee they are off the trail. This would be a tragedy to the race. However, congressional legislation has been introduced to give the decision to another group.

Last updated: 2011-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
10:55:50 | 50 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/86
Overall: 599/941
Performance: Good
None - watch was a mess.
Course: AT trail, C&O Canal and rolling country roads
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-21 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: JFK 50 Mile

2011-11-21 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3910938

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: JFK 50 Mile
First! Edit. Damn Sam. So so so proud of you. Seriously man, this is freakin' incredible. I gotta tell you, yesterday I was heading out for a run through the hood, then thought about you and what you just did. So I went in ran these trails in a national park close to the house and had such a f'ing awesome run, spent lots of time wondering wtf you do for 50 miles!!! You're a huge inspiration! Thanks! Deuce dropper!!!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-11-21 9:54 PM
2011-11-21 9:36 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

What an awesome job.  I am so proud of you for completing this.  You looked strong every time I saw you out there. 

Next year though I'm getting you a GPS to wear so I can figure out where you are.  Too stressful trying to make sure I didn't miss you at each stop : )

Kick a$$ finish!

2011-11-21 10:06 PM

User image

Congrats Sam!  Wow, 50 miles, HUGE.  Way to be strong. rr was perfect, not too long at all.
2011-11-22 12:12 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Congrats Sam.  Simply awesome and beyond my imagination.  Loved the RR.
2011-11-22 5:27 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
AWESOME.  You conquered your '11 goal and finished strong!  I love how you strategized through your GI issues (and I do know exactly how those feel--same for me coming out of the water!).  Way to finish in style!!!

2011-11-22 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Sam, 

What an amazing accomplishment.  I really enjoyed "following" you through this journey!  What an inspiration.  Rest easy now.

2011-11-22 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Sam, absolutely AWESOME!!!  I cannot imagine running for 10 hours ........ you are a rockstar!!!  Way to work through the issues of the day, adapt, overcome and conquer!

2011-11-22 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Awesome RR and fabulous race!! I am in awe of you for even attempting this, and look what you did: you crushed it!! Running that long is just unfathomable to me! Starting out on the trails would certainly do a number on the legs, and then you ran 30+ miles after that! Holy Toledo!! Great job listening to your body and adapting to everything along the way. Even in the best of circumstances, something is sure to go a bit awry in a race that long -- it's how you manage and recover that dictates the outcome. You are amazing and a total inspiration! I hope your kids understand what a bad-a$$ their mama is!! Oh, and I like how Tony said "next time." ha! Congratulations!!
2011-11-22 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Sam what a great RR! I saw you at the start after the official start, but I was not sure until I talked to Tony. I am glad you were able to complete such a historic event!! I am proud of your accomplishment!! I can imagine that PB and J never tasted so good : )
2011-11-22 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
So awesome, Sam! Amazing finish and a great time! You executed your plan perfectly and stayed strong even through the GI issues. So completely impressed and inspired!!! I loved every second of reading your race report! You are a ROCKSTAR!!!

2011-11-22 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
That is such a mind boggling accomplishment Sam!  I am beyond proud of you.  I groaned when you started having the tummy pain - I was right there with ya sister and those are the worst!!!  You are one strong momma and a rock star!!!!  
2011-11-22 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Congratulations on a great race!  I cannot imagine 10+ hours of running.  Amazing accomplishment!
2011-11-22 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Sam - you are one crazy chic to do an Ultra - great job on your race.  Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through you...
2011-11-22 9:37 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I know I said I had no plans to do an IM and now I am scheduled to run one, but I REALLY have no plans to do a 50 mile run. The thought is crazy! Great run! You are a super woman!

Edited by DougRob 2011-11-22 9:38 AM
2011-11-22 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
So very very very Cool!!!!!  I loved reading this.  50 miler is indeed one of my bucket listers!!!

2011-11-22 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
AMAZING!
2011-11-22 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

WOW!!  The thought of running 50 miles in one day is, to me, freakin' insane!!   However reading your RR, keeps me wondering "Could I accomplish a goal like this?"  NOT today, but maybe someday...

Perserverance, commitment, and mental toughness... Great race!  Very entertaining RR too!

2011-11-22 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3911699

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job, I bet you'll never forget it.
2011-11-22 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
WOW! What an incredible accomplishment! Congrats on putting together an amazing 50 mile race day, so much has to go right for that, and you did it all.
2011-11-23 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Great rr - AMAZING job on the race. I'm blown away by what you set out to do ..... and did. 50 miles seems like an impossible number - and you did it with style!

2011-11-23 12:31 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Great job! Enjoyed reading your RR
2011-11-24 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Awesome job.  I can't imagine going that distance.  Congrats.
2011-11-26 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Sam, you are truly an inspiration.  Absolutely amazing job out there.  Congrats!
2011-11-26 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Sam, you really are INCREDIBLE!!! Such a great accomplishment, you should be so proud of yourself!!! I am in awe.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JFK 50 Mile Rss Feed  

of 2