2017-12-08 5:34 PM
in reply to: coredump

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Good bye.

Originally posted by coredump

Ron,

Thank you for all that you have done for this community.  Through this site, you've helped untold number of newbies enjoy their first forays into what can initially be pretty intimidating sport.

I embarked on my first triathlon in 2003?  2004?  ( I think it's a race report still filed here somewhere ).  Through BT I was able to meet what have become lifelong friends through the sport of triathlon.  Some of us are still racing tris, others have moved to other sports ( cycling focused, or running, or other.... ) but all share a common bond that was forged here, and nearly all still remain in touch.

Heck, I met the love of my life through BT, and married her!  ( Hi Whizzzzz!!!! Yes, I'm gonna call you that )  WeI've taken a few years off from tris, but we plunged back in this past year and did our 3rd Ironman together ( 8th total for me, and 4th total for her ).  Energy, interest, and available time ebbs and flows, as it sounds like you are feeling at an ebb ( with respect to running this website ).  You've carried the torch for such a long time, and have positively impacted so many, it's definitely okay to pass the torch on to someone new to pursue what makes you happiest.  Know that we will always be grateful for what you created so many years ago, and we will always consider you a friend.

I don't log much here anymore, but I definitely still lurk and visit inspires for friends that are more active here.

Thank you again for all your blood, sweat, and tears. 

Coredump, aka Dumpster, aka Mr Whizzzzz

Couldn't have put it any better Chris,

When I found BT over 10 years ago, little did I know the impact it would have on me, not just physically (the programs are a godsend for a type A person like myself and I'm in the best shape of my life at 46 years old) but also emotionally.  I met so many good friends through BT, and it also enabled me to enjoy one of the most thrilling events (RAGBRAI) with a group of people I had never met but now we have a bond that will NEVER go away.  It was also a community that came together when we lost so many friends (JDWright comes to immediate mind) and supported each other in our loss.

Ron, I hope you do read these to know the profound impact you had on so many people around the world.  Thank you for everything you have done and as the Irish blessing says:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Godspeed brother.  

2017-12-08 8:00 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Thank you Ron for everything you've done. Your creation has affected many lives -- as lkct already said, we met through BT and are now raising our own future triathlete. I had to look at my profile to see when I'd first registered, and it's been almost 12 years! Time flies. 

Best wishes and happy trails.

2017-12-08 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for everything, Ron! We'll miss you!

2017-12-09 5:37 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Thank you for everything you have done over the years, Ron.  This site has helped me and numerous others in many, many ways.  Good luck in the next chapter!!

2017-12-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Ron, I have also logged every workout here since late '06/early '07.

I hope you honestly understand just how big a positive influence this site has been for me.

From Pay it Forward, to the support, to the very specific, important details that I would have never known about.... this site is just amazing.

Thank you for all you've done.

Craig
2017-12-10 6:35 PM
in reply to: crowny2

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by coredump

Ron,

Thank you for all that you have done for this community.  Through this site, you've helped untold number of newbies enjoy their first forays into what can initially be pretty intimidating sport.

I embarked on my first triathlon in 2003?  2004?  ( I think it's a race report still filed here somewhere ).  Through BT I was able to meet what have become lifelong friends through the sport of triathlon.  Some of us are still racing tris, others have moved to other sports ( cycling focused, or running, or other.... ) but all share a common bond that was forged here, and nearly all still remain in touch.

Heck, I met the love of my life through BT, and married her!  ( Hi Whizzzzz!!!! Yes, I'm gonna call you that )  WeI've taken a few years off from tris, but we plunged back in this past year and did our 3rd Ironman together ( 8th total for me, and 4th total for her ).  Energy, interest, and available time ebbs and flows, as it sounds like you are feeling at an ebb ( with respect to running this website ).  You've carried the torch for such a long time, and have positively impacted so many, it's definitely okay to pass the torch on to someone new to pursue what makes you happiest.  Know that we will always be grateful for what you created so many years ago, and we will always consider you a friend.

I don't log much here anymore, but I definitely still lurk and visit inspires for friends that are more active here.

Thank you again for all your blood, sweat, and tears. 

Coredump, aka Dumpster, aka Mr Whizzzzz

Couldn't have put it any better Chris,

When I found BT over 10 years ago, little did I know the impact it would have on me, not just physically (the programs are a godsend for a type A person like myself and I'm in the best shape of my life at 46 years old) but also emotionally.  I met so many good friends through BT, and it also enabled me to enjoy one of the most thrilling events (RAGBRAI) with a group of people I had never met but now we have a bond that will NEVER go away.  It was also a community that came together when we lost so many friends (JDWright comes to immediate mind) and supported each other in our loss.

Ron, I hope you do read these to know the profound impact you had on so many people around the world.  Thank you for everything you have done and as the Irish blessing says:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Godspeed brother.  

LIKE.

Well, FB has that, why not BT posts?

2017-12-10 10:03 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Thanks for BT man.

2017-12-11 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Thank you Ron

I have met many BT people over the years at races near and far. Some are still close friends today. A couple of interesting things that I hope help you understand how great this little project of yours was to many of us.

I joined in the spring of 2005. I lived in New Orleans at the time and had been doing tri's for 3 years. Hurricane Katrina hit us in late August. This was long before facebook and other social media and we used BT as a means to communicate to locate BT friends and to find out about damage in different parts of the city. I think some of the threads are still out there but it was a big deal to those of us affected by the storm

In 2006, I did my first and only ironman. I believe there were over 20 of us from the site that did it that year. We all met up before the race and it added so much knowing so many people on the course and cheering for each other throughout the day. We all made it. I still keep in contact with several of those folks. Beyond those racing, several others volunteered and I kept up with many of them for years to come, following them to their completion of ironmans.

The mentor program introduced me to alot of really cool folks. My most successful mentee completed a tough Half ironman.

I also met JDwright. He was a double transplant patient Kidney and Liver. He lived in Indiana but had family in Alabama. He completed his first triathlon at the race that I started my triathlon journey. The Mullet Man Triathlon. He passed on a couple years later, but so lucky I got to meet him.

Lucy, volunteered at my ironman but died unexpectedly a couple years later. We held a virtual 5 k in her honor for several years.

I could go on but thank you. I still do a few short tri's, but my ankles are shot. I still use the logs and occasionally read race reports and check on old friends. I wish you success and happiness
2017-12-11 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks for all you've done, Ron.  The site has been a great resource for triathlon and for finding new friends in triathlon.  I've been honored to meet some really great people through BT.  No doubt the site will continue to be in good hands with Alice.

Edited by melbo55 2017-12-11 12:03 PM
2017-12-12 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I haven't posted in almost 3 years, and very rarely check in to see what happening on the site, as most of my old MG friends have moved on as well.
But something made me check in today. I'm glad I did.
I discovered this site 10 years ago(WOW 10 years) as a former athlete.Got married, had two young children, I became a fat, out of shape, unhappy, unhealthy man. Life was not good.

I stumbled on this site and it literally changed my life. SWBKRUN MG 4ever!! I met so many great people on that group. I learned so much from so many people. It literally got me started in this crazy sport, and I owe it all to the folks behind this site! I've taken some time away now, but going back and reading some of my old RR's has been very inspiring. Loved this place!

Enjoy your next chapter sir!
2017-12-12 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
R -

I continue to log workouts/race results here which means I visit the site daily, much as I have since late 2005. Its role in my tri life over those years is hard to overstate but when I start counting the friends I made here in that time, well, the relationship takes on another dimension.

Thanks for creating BT; it's been a great home...

C

2017-12-14 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Thank you for everything you've done, Ron.  Thank you for BT and the community you created and fostered.

I'm a relative newcomer to many here in that I didn't find triathlon and BT until 2012, but like so many others, I couldn't have done it without this place.

2017-12-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks for this site. I've been on and off since 2008 and it has meant a lot to me. You created a supportive and kind site, something I haven't found elsewhere. I'll continue to be an unofficial cheerleader for the site. I tell everyone who asks about anything tri how they must get on BT.
2017-12-18 12:12 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
take care Ron.

BT helped me in many ways, I really appreciated the work you did.

best wishes in your new endeavors.
2017-12-18 12:50 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Thanks for all your work and good luck with your future endeavors.

2017-12-19 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Like a number of people, I was directed to this post by someone else -- while I still log all of my workouts here, I'm not doing triathlons anymore and so don't really visit the forums much at all. 

Been here since my first triathlon in 2005. Have made many, many friends through this site and while I don't think there are any BT friends that aren't FB friends, FB just isn't the same sort of thing. Inspires are awesome -- they make my day -- and everything here just feels more intimate and friendly. I'm not sure I know of another place on the web that's like this.

Good luck to you, Ron. And thank you so very much for creating this space. It's meant a lot to so many of us.

2017-12-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Kido

Thanks for all your work and good luck with your future endeavors.

That is what I was thinking!

Enjoy the journey
2017-12-26 3:01 PM

Ron, a heartfelt thank you for all you've done for the triathlon community

2017-12-27 2:11 PM

User image

Buttercup

Ron,

Thank you for creating and managing this site. You must know how exceptional is your website and the community you built, an oasis in a sea of reallycrazyshitoutthere. Your leadership set the right, positive tone (and I'm sorry if I made your job harder when I was at my most snarky). I had the most interesting, challenging, and fun conversations on your site that I've ever had on the internet.

If you're in Ft Myers, please think about driving north an hour or so. I'd love to take you and your family for a daysail. Drop me a PM if you're up for it.

Best of luck, sunshine and blessings to you.

Renee

2017-12-27 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Many thanks to you, Ron. You did a great job and really ‘left the world a bit changed’ thanks to your great contributions.

I wish you the very best. Triathlon is more than a sport, it is a way of life. Unless we can harness interest from the younger crowd, there will be an evidible decline. I hope Alice can keep the interest going. Changes to this forum pushed some away and we need to embrace and get the interest higher-something you did-almost by just being a resource for us. It will be a more formidable task going forward.

Best to you, Ron. Thanks for helping me find my way...here...
Dale
2018-01-08 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Thank you Ron. Little did I know when I joined in 2005 how much this site would affect my life. Every workout in the past 12 years is logged here. Like many others, I met many great friends on here. I appreciate all your efforts and wish you luck in your future endeavors!

2018-01-23 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm late to this, but thank you so much for everything Ron. I've been here since 2003, and you've done so much for all of use since then. Best wishes in the future!

Kelly

2018-12-03 12:31 PM

User image

Ron,

I am writing from Colombia, in South America. Thank you so much for creating this web page. It has been a marvelous source if information and inspiration. I keep recommending the page to all my athlete friends.

All the best,

Helmuth Trefftz
(trihtrefftz)
2018-12-20 12:23 PM

Expert
WOW....

Ron
It has been a long time and this site got me started down the road of Triathols one which I never would have picked, I thank you and everyone here who has helped me along the way. But as you said life gets in the way and things pass you by. It was by chance I was going through my bookmarks and decided to pop in and found this as my the top of the new post list, I hope you see this as you have been a good friend even though we did see each other much except at our events and the Boston triathlon show will always have a place in my heart as I got to see you and your cohort those years that I went. You have given so much to this sport and I hope you know that.

Travel safely Ron..

Patrick
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good bye. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bike Advice..good bike/good deal?

Started by mikeymac
Views: 1191 Posts: 5

2017-11-28 8:38 PM pistuo

Best bike training hills North West Metro

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1094 Posts: 5

2017-02-02 8:55 PM paupeter726

Please share best/worst cold weather race stories!

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 2916 Posts: 19

2018-01-12 8:50 AM audiojan

Is this good Swim-Bike-Run training?

Started by Joel0000
Views: 1209 Posts: 5

2016-12-09 2:08 PM Lupy

Best tools to get

Started by Fobian
Views: 1498 Posts: 10

2016-12-24 1:35 PM nickster