United States
36F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 34s
Overall Rank = 217/310
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

This was my very first year running cross country. I had decided to use it as part of an overall periodization plan for my marathon training. I figured it would be a really good opportunity to work on my strength; physically and mentally. And boy did it …
The 10 big story lines: http://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/12/10-storylines-2013-usatf-nation...
I run with a club. In fact, it’s a pretty damn competitive club. Every Wednesday and Saturday I go practice with them, and by practice I mean running intervals or hills or long tempos, barely hanging on there at the back Anyway, I was lucky enough to get to be on one of the women’s teams for Club XC Nationals. They paid our expenses and chartered us a bus down to Bend, Oregon where the event was held.
We boarded the bus Thursday afternoon in the midst of serious rush hour traffic. Who planned that?? As we crept along on the freeway, lively conversations about running arose, covering topics from the importance of the role of social media in an elite runner’s career to turtle soup (a very nerdy obscure ref.) I was with my people! About two hours had passed and we had made it, ohhhh, 22 miles maybe? That’s when we all heard a “BOOM” then a “chug-a-chug-clank-clank-clank …” Yep, blew the transmission. So there we were, stranded on the freeway. The bus driver appeared to have no idea what to do. He said a mechanic could come, or maybe another bus might be able to pick us up. After about an hour, it was pretty clear that nothing was going to happen. One of my teammates took charge and started calling around. We eventually were able to reserve 4 mini-vans. We then had to get someone to pick up 4 of us, go to the airport, get the vans then come back and pick us all up.
2.5 hours later, we were on the road again!!!! Unfortunately, we had to pick up some teammates along the way. They had killed the nearly 4 hour delay in a Taco Time I guess. We picked them up and came to a group decision that driving all the way to Bend in the middle of the night through an icy/snowy pass probably wouldn’t be a great idea. So we agreed to make it a little east of Portland then leave early so that we could get to Bend before the course preview closed.
We woke up early the next morning, had some breakfast and got on the road. I was lucky enough to ride in the van with an elite guy on our team that is a professional runner. Meaning he makes his living from his sport. It was AMAZING just talking to him about his experiences, (his love of Baskin Robin’s ice cream cakes) his decision-making, and his training. Everything. And he was such a nice guy on top of that. I knew he was going to win this thing.
We got to Bend, quickly changed and headed to the course. We all KNEW this course was not going to be a PR course. But I don’t know that we thought it would be quite like this. There was mud, snow, grass, hills, hay bales, hills, rocks, hills, dirt mounds and hills. Did I mention hills? Max King had designed this course with the idea of bring XC back to its roots (PUN!) And boy did he.
After the preview we showered and headed out to dinner. It was amazing to be in town with a bunch of amazing athletes that I had only seen on TV before; Athletes that I was going to have the privilege of toeing the line with in the morning. I got to room with a two time Olympic Trials qualifier so I got to pick her brain too. She was also very, very nice and willing to share her experiences with me. I just felt so lucky (and a little bit like I didn’t belong here.)
That night we had a big team meeting and went over logistics, race strategy and talked about spike length and what we might want to think about wearing. Then us ladies painted our nails in our team colors. I never paint my nails and did a TERRIBLE job. A big thing our coach said in the meeting was not to personalize the race. He said that due to the toughness of the course, it would be really easy to start to feel sorry for yourself but if you stepped back and realized that you were all going through the same thing, it would be easier to keep pushing on. This really resonated. ESPECIALLY when I wanted to sneak off the course and curl up in the fetal position somewhere between lap 2 and 3 … more on that in a minute.

Race day! The team had breakfast and then headed up to the course. Us women didn’t start until 12:00 so we were able to take our time. It had gotten a little windy and the temps dropped a little bit but nothing TOO crazy. We got word that one of our women won the masters OA which was an AWESOME way to start! We warmed up, changed clothes put on our spikes and headed to the starting box. We did some strides and then settled into starting position.

Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.72 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

“Everyone stand tall and stay still.” Said the official. “On your marks…” then the always way too long of pause “BANG!” AND WE WERE OFF!!!!!!!!
The start was up a HUGE hill. I’m not kidding. It was long and a mix of snow, long grass, short grass and mud. There was no consistency. There were over 300 women in this race and we all had to funnel into the course. Elbows were flying, people were stepping on your feet your heels, kicking you etc. It was CHAOS! We made it to the top of the hill and made an immediate right along the top of a ridge. This was really the only place on the course for “recovery.” I kept steady and we took another sharp right down the hill. Now, one might think with all the uphill that there would be a ton of downhill in recovery (which is typical) but not here. The downhill was EXTREMELY technical. In addition to sharp twists and turns, they left a little bit of snow on the corners and churned up a bunch of mud and rocks. There were some portions that reminded me of a BMX course. There was also a really sharp corner that was covered in ice and banked the wrong way so if you came in with too much momentum it would push you down off the course. Once you got through this technical portion there was a long, steady hill then back into some trees and a little more technical twists and turns. I was having a BLAST. A girl took one of the corners too fast and face planted right in front of me. I had to jump over her. She got back up and I asked if she was alright. No answer. The course took a really long U-turn and then we entered the most difficult part of the course. It was a long steady graded hill with a series of seep rollers within the already general uphill direction. This was the spot you just had to trust your fitness and put one leg in front of the other. At the VERY top of the hill was the steepest climb. You felt like you were walking. Once you made it over the summit you had about 15 meters to “recover” and then you had to hurdle the hay bales. I felt really good finishing this first loop. It was crazy, there was no consistent speed in this race. It was all about shifting gears, accelerating, decelerating and trying to keep an eye on your footing. It was very, very dense with runners so it was difficult to see too far ahead of you. The second loop got progressively harder. I was breathing CRAZY hard. I was definitely feeling not only the difficult course but also the
altitude (the course was a little over 4,000 ft.) I just kept pushing, focusing on my coach’s comments to NOT PERSONALIZE the race. I knew everyone was suffering, just like me. I finished the second loop and started pondering my imminent death. Seriously. I couldn’t believe how hard it had gotten. At some points I felt as though I was walking. “One more lap, one more lap and then BEER”I kept reminding myself. I rounded the corner on one of the technical parts and my foot slipped out, I wobbled but recovered. I could tell my legs were getting shaky as I approached the final climb. I just kept pushing as much as I could, I literally didn’t feel like I had ANYTHING left. I got to the last little hill and just drove my legs as hard as I could and passed about 3 women, one of them who had resorted to crawling up the hill. Literally. I hurdled the hay bale, made the hard right down into the WAY-TOO-LONG finishing chute. It was a steep downhill (the same one we climbed up at the start) and footing was very unsteady. You just had to keep your eyes ahead, your hands down near your hips and churn your legs. I heard my coach say, “WE NEED YOU. GO!” so I surged past another women, through a huge mud puddle and across the finish line into my teammates arms. I have never, ever, ever in my life been so spent and had so little to show for it. But I was so happy.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to continue to improve as a runner. The better I get the more I realize I have to learn.

I definitely should have taken some time off after AG OLY Nats. I was a little flat towards the end of this season. I felt I was getting more fit ... but just flat from all the racing.

But I think I raced with every ounce I had in this race, I can can be absolutely content with that. One might not see that in my results, but I am pretty proud to be the 217th faster club xc woman in the nation :)
Post race
Warm down:

I went and cooled down, put some layers on and met some of my friends who had driven down to spectate. They already had a beer for me! A Boneyard IPA at that! We went and found a spot to spectate. I told them from the get go, “Joe is going to win this thing. You just watch.” He came around the first loop in the top 20 ish. But there were 5 laps as the men do 10K. We watched SO MANY MEN have to DNF at the spot we were at. Some with twisted ankles, some just totally in oxygen debt to the point they could not continue. Joe came through the third lap, closing the gap to the top 5 or so. Just after he went by another guy rolled his ankle and went down. He pulled himself off the course and then just laid in the snow. I was worried and no one was helping him so I came over and asked if we was alright. It was pretty clear his ankle was totally jacked. Maybe even broken. He was in tears. I am not really good in these situations but he needed help. I helped him up and waved for my friends to come help me carry him. I offered him some of my beer and only then did he laugh. It was tricky getting him back because the terrain was really snowy and hilly. The poor guy was screaming in agony. I had thought about taking a drink of my beer every time he dropped and F-bomb.
We got about halfway to the medical tent when we ran into some of his teammates who relieved us of our duties after many thanks. I had just enough time to run over to the finishing chute. I saw someone at the top of the hill in orange, making the sharp right. I couldn’t tell but I was pretty sure it was Joe. He ran down the hill and as he got a little closer I knew it was him. He had a huge lead so he put his hands up and took his time, celebrating down the hill then finally ran across the finish with his arms up. It was so freakin’ cool!
I showered and changed in record time and we headed to the breweries!!!!
GoodLife Brewing Company: I got a beer called “150 Hippies.” American Pale Ale, 5.3% ABV. The brewery was really lovely and the people super friendly.
10-Barrel Brewing: I had their “Pray for snow” American Strong Ale, 7.6%
Deschutes Brewing: Chainbreaker White IPA, 5.6% ABV.
THEN we headed to the awards banquet. There was quite a bit of money at stake for the winners, so the banquet was a pretty big deal. It was really awesome to see Joe get his award as the house went nuts. After the ceremony the dancing started. And didn’t stop for a good 4-5 hours. My entire team was out on the dance floor celebrating together. One guy from another team had us all "give him some space" on the dance floor. Then he proceeded to do the ENTIRE choreograph sequence from *NSYNC's "Bye, Bye, Bye." I've gotta find the video of that ... For some reason they had one of those brew-cycle (look it up) parked inside the conference center. And then for some reason we decided to commandeer said brew-cycle and ride it in laps around the dance floor.
The morning after, I met up with my friends and we ran to the top of a little butte in Bend. It was gorgeous. I couldn’t believe how good I felt after a night of microbrews. Oh. That’s because I was still drunk! The hangover hit just before we left Bend. Luckily my friends were driving me home. Hangover or not, I was a happy camper.

Our runners are VERY talented and we still got our rear spanked. You could be bummed about that but really, I just think the future if distance running for women is bright. I feel extremely privileged to be able to run with such a strong pack and have learned a TON about myself as a runner through this season. I have a ton of things to work on and a million takeaways. I can’t wait to use some of this stuff in my marathon training. But first, a nice break!

For lots of photos, including some epic face plants, check this out: http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=16&year=2013&do=ph...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Must ... get ... faster
Take some time off between seasons
Practice more in spikes

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:34 | 03.72 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 217/310
Performance: Good
Course: Bend's Max King wants to take cross-country running back to its roots. Inspired by the surge in popularity of cyclocross — a sort of obstacle-course racing on bicycles — King, one of the country's top trail runners and a former U.S. Olympic hopeful in the steeplechase and the marathon, is hoping to get cross-country off the smooth, manicured fairways of golf courses and back to the mud and muck of its early heyday. “Cross-country (racing) comes from a background of running through plowed fields, going down dirt trails and maybe even hopping over a couple of fences,” says King, 33 and the race director for the 2013 USA Track & Field National Club Cross-Country Championships, which will take place in Bend on Dec. 14. “Somehow we've gotten away from that. It's become more of a grass track meet.” Not this December. King has been carving out this year's national championship course at River's Edge Golf Course — the past few weekends he literally has been trailblazing, clearing sagebrush and making trails between fairways — and runners will have plenty of short uphills, some hillside scrambles and maybe even a hay bale or two to clear. King's course is a 2,000-meter loop on which competitors will run a number of circuits, depending on their racing division. “A lot of people will be yelling at me in December,” jokes King, who was an All-America cross-country runner at Cornell University. “I had an old cross-country coach in college who talked about taking in the landscape (when designing a race) and letting a course present itself. ... I took that philosophy with me when I started walking around the golf course and let it come to me.”
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-12-16 2:00 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: XC ClubNats 6K

2013-12-16 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4914039

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: XC ClubNats 6K
I've been waiting for this and it did not disappoint.

WOW! Congratulations to you Adreinne!!!! Fantastic race.

What a super-challenging course...and major props to you for doing a great job racing with your head and your heart.

It's been fun watching you from the stands. You deserve a break now, and a few aspirins for the hangover.

Rest a bit and get ready for the M challenge...but for now, bask a bit in the glory of all you did this year.
2013-12-16 2:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Well done Adrienne!

2013-12-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Impressive is so many ways!  Congratulations on a great XC season!

2013-12-16 3:12 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Awesome, Adrienne.  It has been so cool 'watching' you over the past couple of years.  Congratulations.

2013-12-16 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Freakin wow, you are a beast. You have every reason to be quite pleased, however when I write that, the word content does not come to mind. It seems like you're really starting to push yourself and I consider myself lucky to be along for the ride in some small way. Congratulations and keep it going!!!

2013-12-16 3:16 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Awesomeness once again Adrienne. Sounds liks a really enjoyable experience. And thanks for the beer details , I'll have to seek those out (local pub here has 99 beers on tap, maybe I'll get lucky).
2013-12-16 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

As always, your weekend was as memorable as the race!

Congrats on the race. It sounds amazing (in a completely sadistic sort of way). It's been so much fun to read your reports this season.

2013-12-16 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Huge congrats!  I think this XC stint has been a huge success for you.

And I'm sooooo glad you told us about all the delicious beers and brew cycle

2013-12-16 3:22 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Seattle
2013-12-16 3:28 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Excellent!!  I can't wait to show this to "that guy"......I can already hear him......"holy crap!!!"  

2013-12-16 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Epic beer race report!!!  Glad you survived...and 217th in the NATION ain't too shabby!

Great season Adrienne...it's been a pleasure spectating from afar.

2013-12-16 3:52 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

Insane!  Incredible!  Awesome!  Unfathomable!  All these things and more, it sounds like an amazing experience and race.  Be proud (which you already are) - you toed the line with the top folks in the nation and did great on a very challenging course (ice in the turns, turned up rocks and mud?! madness!).  I agree whole-heartedly with many of the others - it is so fun to watch your progression and growth and journey, especially knowing the best is yet to come.  I've said it before, I'll say it again: I love it when good things happen for good people.  Good things happen because you work your tail off for them.  Thanks for being awesome, thanks for being you!

ps mmmmmmmm, beer...

2013-12-16 3:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow.  One crazy course and well fought race!! Some awesome stuff out of the XC season you have really progressed through out the season!

2013-12-16 4:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Orlando
Wow, that was awesome !!! Congratulations on a great race and XC season.
2013-12-16 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow!  That sounds absolutely insane and fun at the same time.

Awesome job on the race, fantastic result!!

2013-12-16 4:38 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Absolutely wonderful!!! I'm glad you had so much fun. I have been learning right along side of you -- well, virtually. Congratulations on a fantastic season.

2013-12-16 8:25 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
What an amazing weekend! Congrats on a terrific race. The passion you have for running is so evident. Btw, Looking through the pics I'm seeing a new (to me) fashion statement - different color shoes on l/r feet (face plant guy).
2013-12-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by kcarroll What an amazing weekend! Congrats on a terrific race. The passion you have for running is so evident. Btw, Looking through the pics I'm seeing a new (to me) fashion statement - different color shoes on l/r feet (face plant guy).

Ah ha! Good eye! I hear it makes you faster, although a bit more unstable

See more fashion statements here:

2013-12-17 5:45 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Not too shabby for an old trout.
2013-12-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pro

Epic! Congrats!

2013-12-18 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Congrats !!! 

2013-12-18 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

As usual - you have THE most epic race weekend!  

You freakin' ROCK, I love that you stole the brewcycle, and hiked whilst still drunk the next day.  

2013-12-18 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Epic. both on the course, in the breweries and on the dance floor.
I hope to make it out to PA next year for club nats, but I think it will be pretty hard for anywhere to live up to Bend.
2013-12-19 12:25 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Awesome report! Congrats to a great first season!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XC ClubNats 6K Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

XC #4 6K Pages: 1 2

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 3291 Posts: 28

2013-11-12 12:59 PM melbo55

XC #3 6K Pages: 1 2

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 3305 Posts: 27