4th Dimension Racing
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 29s
Overall Rank = 5/1159
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/248
Pre-race routine:

The night before we went out and I got a HUGE bowl of pho. Then we stopped and I picked up a 22 oz of Graff[t] which is a joint effort beer between a local brewery here in Seattle (Two Beers Brewing) and New Belgium Brewing. "It is an India Pale Lager (IPL) brewed with 100 percent Pilsner malt, Mosaic hops from Yakima Valley, Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand and a 10 percent by volume addition of unfermented apple juice (also known as “must”) from Seattle Cider Company. After fermentation, the brew is then dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops. With 53 IBUs and 7.3 percent ABV, the result is a dry, crisp, effervescent beer-cider hybrid with notes of grapefruit and citrus, accompanied by a brite and dry palate." So, now you know! :)

Anyway, I went to bed super early because, to my dismay, the race started at 7:30 am and I needed to warm up and do packet pickup. Sighhhhhh. (Not an early morning person!)
Event warmup:

I parked at the bar where we were going to meet afterward and then ran the trail along the river to the starting area. It was a nice little warm up. I picked up my packet, checked my gear and then did a nice set of strides and got into the coral.

The race was delayed a bit which I really can't stand. It's difficult to get warmed up and then totally cool down. But I understand, it's difficult to wrangle 2K runners.
Run
  • 1h 25m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This was another training race. I pretty much trained right through. The week leading up to the race was a tough one. I was feeling pretty worn down and had a pretty crappy tune-up practice a few days before. I was feeling pretty down on myself and my confidence was low but my friends and family cheered me up (here and elsewhere. Thanks Manatees!) So, I went in with pretty low expectations.

I had a plan and it was to do the first 3 miles at marathon pace, the next 7 at HM pace and then finish as strong as possible (depending on where I was at that point.) I actually ran with a watch (OMG!) so that I could note my paces. I hate doing that, but it was necessary in this training race. I also was planning to take a gel at the 5K, 10K and then somewhere around mile 10 to practice for my marathon.

I started out a little bit further back than I normally would because I was planning on running the first couple miles on the slower side. This turned out to be one of my best decisions in the race. We took off and about 3/4 mile into the race and there was a misunderstanding with one of the officials, about 20 of the front of the pack went straight where we were supposed to turn. I just so happened to be behind the guy who asked the official, "Hey, aren't we supposed to turn here?" so I was only slightly diverted. I felt bad for the leaders. Although it IS their responsibility, I was surprised the official didn't make more of an effort to redirect them.

I hit the first mile right on pace. I felt good and relaxed. We got off the road and onto the trail and I hit my second mile, also on pace. I've been doing a lot more M pace running, so it came pretty naturally.

Mile 3 was my last mile at M pace and I was also preparing to take a gel. I had them stuffed in my arm-warmers. I came into the split right on pace again and then I ratcheted down the speed into my perceived "HM" pace. I also took my gel at the 5K and then got some water at the station. My target for HM was supposed to be 6:38 but I came into mile 4 at 6:34. It felt really reasonable though so I didn't try to adjust. I figured things just got a little wonky taking the gel/water. I was running alongside a guy named Marty. He told me he was shooting for sub 1:27 and I told him that's what I had run last year. He said he remembered finishing right behind me. I told him to stick with me and we'd get him under 1:27. We ran together for a bit but he told me to go on without him as he was struggling a bit.

I saw a girl not too far ahead of me. I didn't want to push the pace but I definitely see the value in having someone to run with. I slooooowly made my way up next to her. She unfortunately had headphones on, so I couldn't chat about her strategy at all. Her pace was really nice and I locked in. We came into miles 5 and 6 at 6:33 and I was feeling really good. I took another gel at the 10K mark and then some more water later. Normally I wouldn't probably take so much fuel but I really wanted to practice for the M.

We stormed through miles 7 and 8 @ 6:33 and 6:32. The girl I was running with faded a touch and then hammered down and caught up. She did this a couple times. I couldn't tell if she was struggling or just playing with her pace. She did this again, this time surging in front of me. I didn't try to match her pace immediately but I did focus on quickening my turnover. I actually wasn't sure that I would be able to catch up and really didn't want to get caught up in her race. Pretty soon we were side by side again though. This was a little faster pace but I still felt good. She, however, seemed to be struggling at this point. I couldn't really encourage her or talk though because of the headphones so I just kept on.

I stopped looking at my watch at this point. The goal now was to slowly tighten down the pace. We came off the trail and alongside the road and pretty much everyone was single file. The other girl had dropped back to the point where I couldn't hear her anymore. I saw a guy in front of my who was doing farleks. His surges were INCREDIBLE. During his "recovery" I came up alongside him and I told him I was super impressed with his speed. He told me he was a 1500 runner and was doing this as training with his buddy who talked him into signing up. I wished him well and went on my way. I really needed to focus now, things were getting uncomfortable. What I noticed was that my legs were tired, not really an aerobic limitation which I was really happy about.

I kept thinking, "fast not hard, fast not hard." I tried to really relax my shoulder and keep my turnover quick without straining.

We approached the very difficult part in the course where you have to run about 100 yards, do a 180 degree switchback, run 100 then another 180 switchback. It's just mentally challenging. I tried to focus on 100 yards at a time.

Finally we came out of the switchbacks and onto the final stretch along the lake to the finish.

My 1500 friend pulled up along my shoulder and said, "Alright, half mile to go. Lets do this!" I picked up the pace and he stayed right on my shoulder, REALLY pushing me.

We came into the chute and he faded just a touch so I could finish solo. A total class act sweetheart.

I shook his hand and told him I really appreciated the support. He was awesome.

I waited around for the other girl to finish and told her thanks for the company.

That is the BEAUTIFUL thing about the more competitive races. It is so nice to have the company and the push from the other competitors.

What would you do differently?:

It was a "c" race and ran more like a workout, so through that lense I am VERY happy.

If it were an "A" race I would:
Taper
Push a little harder from the get go
And probably puke at the end, lol

Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Steve (from here on BT) to finish (NICE JOB STEVE!!!) then we rode the shuttle bus back to the start. While we were chatting on the bus a HUGE spider descended in front of my face and I had a FIT! Steve, without saying anything, smashed the sh*t out of it. My hero!

Our bus driver took forever and then got lost but finally we got back to the park. I ran a few more miles to cool down then met the rest of the BTers at the bar! W00000t w000000000000t!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Big marathon miles, no taper, ran as a workout (a hard one though!)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:29 | 13.1 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/248
Overall: 5/1159
Performance: Good
Course: Nice and flat along the lake. The half marathon starts at Marymoor Park and follows the East Lake Sammamish Trail to Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-10 12:22 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

2014-03-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

That's flying for a training run, awesome stuff! What are you targeting for Boston? Oh and more importantly, how was the beer?

Edited by thebigb 2014-03-10 12:35 PM
2014-03-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4962762

User image

Master

Bahahahaha, smashed the out of it!  Way to go Pops!

Adrienne, as always, awesome job.  I love reading your race reports, I learn something each time.  Sounds like your confidence is boosted!

2014-03-10 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

As always... AWESOME race and AWESOME RR!!!!!!!!!

Discussing strategy at a 6:3X pace?!?!?!?! oh he!! no!!!!!!! You are sooooo awesome! Congrats on the podium! I love how you interact with the other pointy-enders. You are a class act!

Oh, and cool beer description too!

2014-03-10 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice job. Your ability to raise your mental game continues to impress. Congrats!

2014-03-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice job!  Great plan execution!  I love the 1500 Meter Man story :-)

2014-03-10 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I am thrilled that you executed this warmup race as you did. Good restraint early on and you learned the importance of holding back at the beginning. AND, that watchy-thing is often good to help define actual paces during the race. This is quite often useful information...especially when your body, with a taper, will be ready to run too fast. This will happen in April, not so much with this race. The watch will be key on that day too.

Training through and racing as you did to your newly earned vdot of 54 is cause for (brief) celebration!
http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?dist=13.1&units=miles&...
See, even Dr. Daniel's says you have a legitimate shot to go sub 3...based on that race...

Congratulations to you, Adrienne. You did great. How nice was that to have a body pushing a bit during that race? It's always fun to have someone along with you at/near your pace. It just doesn't happen enough to you people at the FOP. I liked how you told yourself to stay relaxed. Excellent advice. Late starts can play with your head too and you didn't let that bother you. Nice.

Don't let your foot off the gas too much, as you have one final training push before the 'A' race.
Personally, I wouldn't do any tempo this week, and be careful if you have a real workout scheduled from your coach within the next 7 days.
NO INJURIES!

Good to know that your tummy can handle gels and hydration on a schedule. Now it's time to keep the volume up until taper time.
Practice the race mentally and visuallize you accomplishing your goal. You've put the time in and even though Boston has hills, you are a mountain goat and you will triumph.

Don't forget, with the M, the race starts at mile 20...

Fabulous race and report. I just can't stop smiling for you...
2014-03-10 12:59 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow, awesome time and well executed!  It'd be scary to see what you could do rested and tapered! 

2014-03-10 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Dang, girl. Impressive race. Love reading your strategy. I also really like "Fast, not hard." Good mantra. I'll try to use that in case I ever find myself running fast. Congratulations!!

2014-03-10 1:07 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

WHooooo - that is flat out MOVING on a training run, Salty! But more importantly, how was the Graff[t]?

2014-03-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by TankBoy

WHooooo - that is flat out MOVING on a training run, Salty! But more importantly, how was the Graff[t]?

yeah, and what will you choose for your pre-race beer in April?

Important questions that inquiring minds want to know...

2014-03-10 1:10 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb

That's flying for a training run, awesome stuff! What are you targeting for Boston? Oh and more importantly, how was the beer?

Eh, I dunno. Sub 3 is within the realm of possibility but it's Boston. It's a course all about execution and the weather is totally unpredictable. It's more about continued improvement, overall.

2014-03-10 1:11 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce

yeah, and what will you choose for your pre-race beer in April? Important questions that inquiring minds want to know...

Oh yes. The beer was FANTASTIC. Not fruity like you might think. Also, at 7.3% kind of boozy and sleep-inducing

2014-03-10 1:13 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce I am thrilled that you executed this warmup race as you did. Good restraint early on and you learned the importance of holding back at the beginning. AND, that watchy-thing is often good to help define actual paces during the race. This is quite often useful information...especially when your body, with a taper, will be ready to run too fast. This will happen in April, not so much with this race. The watch will be key on that day too. Training through and racing as you did to your newly earned vdot of 54 is cause for (brief) celebration! http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?dist=13.1&units=mi... See, even Dr. Daniel's says you have a legitimate shot to go sub 3...based on that race... Congratulations to you, Adrienne. You did great. How nice was that to have a body pushing a bit during that race? It's always fun to have someone along with you at/near your pace. It just doesn't happen enough to you people at the FOP. I liked how you told yourself to stay relaxed. Excellent advice. Late starts can play with your head too and you didn't let that bother you. Nice. Don't let your foot off the gas too much, as you have one final training push before the 'A' race. Personally, I wouldn't do any tempo this week, and be careful if you have a real workout scheduled from your coach within the next 7 days. NO INJURIES! Good to know that your tummy can handle gels and hydration on a schedule. Now it's time to keep the volume up until taper time. Practice the race mentally and visuallize you accomplishing your goal. You've put the time in and even though Boston has hills, you are a mountain goat and you will triumph. Don't forget, with the M, the race starts at mile 20... Fabulous race and report. I just can't stop smiling for you...

Thanks Dale, I really appreciate it!! I am really happy with this.

I'm headed to Austin for a big music festival so I am just going to rack up some solid miles with no hard workouts until next week (where I will be hitting it HARD until taper)

2014-03-10 1:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Eh, I dunno. Sub 3 is within the realm of possibility but it's Boston. It's a course all about execution and the weather is totally unpredictable. It's more about continued improvement, overall.

It's all about the beer at the finish.

2014-03-10 1:25 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

yeah, and what will you choose for your pre-race beer in April? Important questions that inquiring minds want to know...

Oh yes. The beer was FANTASTIC. Not fruity like you might think. Also, at 7.3% kind of boozy and sleep-inducing

Yeah, well - I am pretty sure I would find a 1:25 HM sleep inducing, beer or no beer!

2014-03-10 1:35 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

1. Awesome, awesome, awesome.  Congrats on a well-executed race and for your insanely great finish!

2. That Graff[t] sounds incredible.

3.  Headphone wearers (during races) bother me for the very reasons you mentioned.

4. Glad you could meet up with some very cool, classy non-headphone wearers who helped you and vice versa.

5.  ~shudder~ you lost me at the spider story.  Ick.  I scream like a little girl when they startle me.

2014-03-10 1:50 PM

User image

Seattle

It's all about the beer at the finish.

Yessssssss, exactly. 

2014-03-10 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Ah yes.  Beers after the race.  Doesn't get much better.

You were amazing Adrienne.  Loved reading what went on out on the course for you.

You reminded me of Indiana Jones and his dislike for snakes. 

Can't wait to hear how Boston goes for you.  We will be cheering for you.

2014-03-10 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So, so awesome Salty.

I love how you work with other racers on the course. 

And the watch??!?  Wooooow.  I'm so impressed;)

Sounds like you're just checking off boxes on the way to Boston.  Very exctied for you!

2014-03-10 5:59 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Amazing to the mere mortals around here.  You rocked this!  

Congratulations on the overall ranking and AG placing.  Fantastic!

2014-03-10 9:47 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Nice work there. Looking forward to the marathon report in just a few weeks. When you taper you're going to find that you're flying. (Boston hills be damned.)
2014-03-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Master
Orlando
I don't know which I enjoyed more, your beer report or the race report! Congratulations on another well executed and super speedy race!
2014-03-11 4:27 PM

User image

Seattle

Oh hum ... now that is a good question. It was fun drinking the Sam Adams 26.2 brew last year which I think they are going to rename this year 'Boston Strong' to benefit the charity. 

That or whatever they have at the Red Sox game if I go

Such decisions to make!

2014-03-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723 I don't know which I enjoyed more, your beer report or the race report! Congratulations on another well executed and super speedy race!

Man, and I didn't even get to post-race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Started by Muskrat37
Views: 1703 Posts: 6

2013-03-14 10:25 AM TriAya

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 1618 Posts: 5

2013-03-12 6:53 PM SSMinnow

Started by bluetractor
Views: 1484 Posts: 4

2012-03-18 1:03 PM KateTri1

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by oldntrin
Views: 990 Posts: 1

2011-03-27 8:57 AM oldntrin

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 2323 Posts: 9

2011-03-28 8:57 PM popsracer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.